Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official 1956 Topps "50th Anniversary" Thread

Comments

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Jeff! Patience. Patience. Patience.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Got the card in hand finally. One of those cases where it looks better in hand than the seller's scan. Pretty happy with this one!

Jeff

• cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    'pretty happy'? Looks like a great card to me. Looks flawless. Congrats on the pick-up. - Kevin
  • Very, very nice Whitey.

One of those "buy the card, not the holder" purchases showed up in my mailbox yesterday. This card in hand is every bit as nice as the scan. All four corners are NM-MT, there are no print flaws, and the back is squeaky-clean with very similar centering to the front.
    There is a little chipping on the bottom edge, and I suppose that must have been what dragged the grade down........ but 6 is an absolutely brutal grade for this card. If I saw this exact card in a PSA 8 slab, I would not think twice about it. A nice buy for fourteen bucks!!

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    Nice Kellner,

Looks like a 7.5 to 8 to me also. Definately worth a crack and resub on that one. If I could find PSA 6s like that I would buy them all day long. Nice pick up!

How is your set coming along?

Jeff
  • Very, very slowly. Given the budget I have to work with, I am looking at this as a 10-15 year project.

It is possible I may crack and resub the Kellner of some point. I don't know if it makes much financial sense- but that card in a 6 holder is such an injustice, I may do it for altruistic reasons.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nice "Killer" I bought raw on eBay several years ago. I wish I had also bought the '56 Mantle from the same seller which the winner sent to GAI for an 8.5.

Sorry I didn't post the image horizontally.

Whoa. That's a killer "Killer". I need 13 cards for my set and that's one of them. I bow down before you for having the fortitude to muck it up in the eBay raw sector.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to check in with an update...but first, Jeff, that is one killer Whitey Ford. How that got slabbed ONLY a 7, I'll never figure out. Nice pickup!

Well, I started my set back in November with my first card being a Mickey Mantle PSA7. I am now up to 16 of 342. I've since purchased a nicely centered Willie Mays PSA7 as well. Am also finding, that I am really liking the PSA7.5's. However, picking them up is a tall order to come by as there is just not a lot out there. I, as many of you, have been focusing on nicely centered cards. Its also been fun watching my "stack of '56's" get higher and higher. I've been sort of stalemated the past few weeks as it seems as I get farther along, the more picky I get with centering and just in general. I'm hoping with my budget to get up to about 60 at year end with maybe another star purchased and/or even a checklist.

I'm 32, but its been awesome getting these cards, reading about the players and sharing my pickups with my dad....his favorite player is by far "the mick" and the mid 50's to late 60's was his favorite time to watch baseball. Went to the sun-times show in chicago and was hoping that there would be more PSA7's and 7.5's at the show (commons), but there were none. Maybe I'll have a bit better luck at the national. However, it seems like i'm probably going to be getting most of my commons on EBAY.

Hoping to get some of my cards scanned in and put up for show here sometime soon. Its been fun reading your stories and it keeps me motivated and focused on my long and daunting task of what I feel is one of the most attractive card sets of all time!

Jeremy
    Jeremy,

Nice to have you on board with the 56 set. Is always nice to talk to others who share the same interest for cards and certain sets. This has always been a favorite of mine with the star power, horizontal format and to some extent the availability of the cards. If there are ever any questions relative to the set please let me know. Think it is really nice that you are able to share the journey with your father also.

Jeff

PS...the Mantle was one of my first pick ups on this set also and thought you might enjoy a pic of that.

Jeff,

That Mantle is top-notch! Ever consider a bump?

Keep us posted on your progress and of course scans when you get add to your set!

Jeremy
  • Jeff, that's such a beautiful Mantle. I am hoping I can find one even close to that nice when the time comes.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• While a lovely set of cards, of all the early, large style Topps cards, I think the 56 is my least favorite. The design is too similar to the '55, to where even my Dad has trouble telling the two apart, and he grew up in the era! I can't forget that this was the first year after the end of the Bowman/Topps feud, when they emerged on top, and I wonder if they relaxed a bit, knowing they'd eliminated their competitor, after four straight years of brilliant, distinct designs that were works of art. I think they could have done better. But still in the grand scheme of things, it's a lovely set, except for the Mantle card, which I think is one of his UGLIEST. He looks like he has liver lips!
  • Here's a scan of a small impulse buy I made this morning, just because no one has bumped the thread in a while.

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

Hi Walter,

Another nice pick up...a real beauty. Its hard not to like centered 56s.

Here is one that I recently picked up...now down to needing 9 cards to finish set...someday hopefully!

Jeff

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if you guys don't mind, i'd like to participate.....i'm not on the Registry, but i've developed an interest in this set recently and managed to acquire several very nice cards, including a bunch from a person who has a tidy little hoard of these, but has decided to become elusive until this fall....in the meantime, here's a couple of cards from the last small group i got before he buried them again, and i'll be back soon with a few nice examples in slabs, including a handful currently @ PSA on the special....this really is a truly unique and fascinating set and i've enjoyed viewing all of your cards, thanks for looking at mine image

• Goner,

That Irvin is gorgeous. Get it in a slab.

I've got a couple from this set for sale, if anyone's interested. Prices delivered.

#41, Hank Sauer, White Back, PSA 8 $55.00
    #95, Braves Team, Name Left, PSA 5 $30.00

Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Damn, that Irvin looks tasty. If you ever get tired of it, I could give it a wonderful home.

8877- Congrats on getting down into the single digits! I wonder if I'll ever get that close.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

Glad to see others progressing with their sets. I've added one card since February. With the addition of the Rube Walker below, I'm down to needing 12 cards to complete my set. Easily the longest dry spell I've endured since getting serious about this set.

A couple interesting items available in the latest Clean Sweep Auctions. Uncut sheets from series 3 and 4.

Nice, big pictures are available on the web site if you want to get a better look.

There's 110 cards per sheet. Each sheet contains 10 rows and 11 columns to equal 110. It's interesting to note that 3 cards per row are double printed in distinct patterns. So if my math is correct, that means that 60 cards are double printed and 50 cards appear only once per sheet. I've never heard any cards referred to as single prints or double prints. Also, no checklists on either sheet. Wonder how they were printed?

You can also look at the positioning on the sheet to confirm the tough cards. Basically the cards on the top, bottom and left borders are the toughest to find centered imo.

Really neat items. Not $1000 opening bid neat. But neat nonetheless. I'm just satisfied to save the pictures on my computer.

• Thanks for the post RE the uncut sheets. Awesome!!

There can't be many of these on the face of the earth. I too am just happy to have the pictures now. But the VG condition makes me think I could almost swing one... not. Any idea what one of these will go for?

1955 Topps is done!
    working on 1956 Topps in PSA 6-7
    Thanks Mr. Peanut. Great item. Your math appears correct to me.
    Brett,

Great stuff...but now I am confused about the double print vs short print as I have never seen any talk about this regarding this set.

Anybody out there have any info on this and why the price guides dont address this???

Jeff

PS...Brett, could you email me the larger pics of these to jeff58@sbcglobal.net
    My knowledge of uncut sheets is very limited. I think I'll post something about this on the main board and hopefully someone over there will have more info.
  • Hey just got started on the 56 set I'm 31 yrs old
    And always love the look of the 56 I remember trading
    10 Griffey jr upper deck rookies for a Clemente and 55 bowman mantle
    Anyways I haven't collected since the early 90s so decides to do this set
    With my 8yr old boy any insight or info is greatly appreciated
    I'll add some scans later. I do have my pms on, sry for the sentence structure
  • Q,
    I've always liked the 1956 Topps as well. The set is full of the legends of the 50s and 60s so it should give your son some respect for the game. I think he will like the cartoons on the back. I would also suggest doing something with him that connects with the modern game, maybe put together a set of Topps heritage that uses the 1956 Topps format (2005 or 2006 I think, someone might chime in to confirm). Good luck!
    Quantirlls,

Welcome to the 56 set. There are many knowledgeable guys on here who also collect this set. If you have questions fire away and am sure someone will help you.

What is your plan for the set...raw or graded? Are you shooting for an overall grade such as EX or NM or?

Good Luck

Jeff
    Good luck on the set, Q. I think it's a great one to collect with your son. Enjoy.
  • I'm going to put a graded set together with mostly 7-8 and a few common 9s
    But no 6s it's just rough doing it through eBay because some cards u got to pay
    More Then u should
    Q,

Good luck with the graded set. You shouldn't have to pay more than you want on ebay. The 56 set is pretty popular with many collectors and cards available. If there is one at auction for a price you don't like just wait until another one comes around. There are some really tough one's but the overall majority are available many times throughout the year.

Take your time and have fun and don't overpay!

Jeff
    At last some progress. I was able to add two big ones in the last couple of weeks. I'm now at 332/342. Just 10 more to go.

• cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I am looking for a 56 Clemente white back in PSA 8 or 7.5
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.

• << <i>At last some progress. I was able to add two big ones in the last couple of weeks. I'm now at 332/342. Just 10 more to go. >>

Fantastic additions!!! I'm right behind you..... I only have 265 more to go. image
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

<< <i>

<< <i>At last some progress. I was able to add two big ones in the last couple of weeks. I'm now at 332/342. Just 10 more to go. >>

Fantastic additions!!! I'm right behind you..... I only have 265 more to go. image >>

I just passed the 10 year mark since I started this set. You're ahead of my pace!!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I just want to tell everyone that has posted on this thread how totally disgusted I am with each and every one of you. I have plenty of sets and projects working. And I am by no means well off. So, I read this thread and you keep posting these pictures of 1956 Topps cards. And I keep looking at them. I don't have the money to do this set. I can't afford this. It would take me ten years to finish. So what do I do? Crap! I went out and bought some. Now I have 12 PSA 7's including a Kaline and a Feller and I like the look of them so much that I want more. This is going to get ugly. Thanks a lot.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At last some progress. I was able to add two big ones in the last couple of weeks. I'm now at 332/342. Just 10 more to go.
    >>

Very nice adds. Congrats on getting closer. Any of the last 10 biggies?
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history

• << <i>I just want to tell everyone that has posted on this thread how totally disgusted I am with each and every one of you. I have plenty of sets and projects working. And I am by no means well off. So, I read this thread and you keep posting these pictures of 1956 Topps cards. And I keep looking at them. I don't have the money to do this set. I can't afford this. It would take me ten years to finish. So what do I do? Crap! I went out and bought some. Now I have 12 PSA 7's including a Kaline and a Feller and I like the look of them so much that I want more. This is going to get ugly. Thanks a lot. >>

Welcome to the party! I got off to a fast start last year, but I could not afford to keep up that pace. I am pretty much on the ten-year plan as well. Right now I'm adding two cards a month, and if I continue to do that the set will be finished sometime in 2022.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

PowderedH20...

Welcome aboard...I ended up starting this set just like you have after constantly seeing nice pics and it really grew on me. Good luck with it and let us know if you have any questions about the set. Here is a pic of one of my recent pick ups. Enjoy!

Jeff

<< <i>

<< <i>At last some progress. I was able to add two big ones in the last couple of weeks. I'm now at 332/342. Just 10 more to go.
    >>

Very nice adds. Congrats on getting closer. Any of the last 10 biggies? >>

There's four left that are going to be costly. Robinson, Killebrew, Yankees Team and Phillies Team. Then there's five relatively low pop commons that could be fairly costly. Finally, there's one card that has eluded me so far that should not be that difficult. Every time I look at eBay, I expect a well centered Willard Nixon to show up. Still waiting ...

<< <i>PowderedH20...

Welcome aboard...I ended up starting this set just like you have after constantly seeing nice pics and it really grew on me. Good luck with it and let us know if you have any questions about the set. Here is a pic of one of my recent pick ups. Enjoy!

Jeff

image >>

Jeff,

Was that an off eBay pickup? If not, I don't know how I missed that one. Very nice.
    Hi Brett,

Yes it was off ebay. Bye the way...your Aaron is amazing.

Looks like we are both on the home stretch...I have 10 to go and if I wasn' so picky and cheap I could probably find them a lot faster.

Jeff
    Recently on the BST Board, there was a post advertising 1956 PSA 8s and 8.5s for sale. I needed four of them so I figured why not request scans. Amazingly, this late in the game, I was able to add three cards at once to my set. Courtesy of board member beebeebee. (A pleasure to deal with by the way, so if you have a chance, check out his for sale post).

Just 7 to go!
    Those are gorgeous! That set must be looking very nice with these kinds of cards!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Peanut purchased from beebeebee and just got this card in the mail today. Slight upgrade from the card I had in my set. I also echo the praise for the seller, picked up a nice card. Doug

imageimage
  • Great cards Peanut! You have to be pretty stoked about knocking off three at one time when you're this close.
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

No scans yet, but I just bought PSA 7's (NQ) of Jackie Robinson and Sandy Koufax. Obviously, with only 4.5% of the set complete, I have a long way to go. But with four HOFers so far (Robinson, Koufax, Kaline, Feller) all in 7 I feel like I am at least making some progress. Probably the 7-10 year plan at best.
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I'd love to get it down to 5 cards this year, but if I'm surprised again and can pick up more than that I won't complain.
  • The cards I have so far in my set range from PSA 6 to PSA 8. When the time comes for me to pick up the Dale Mitchell, I think I'm going to go ahead and settle for a 6......

because here's what a poorly centered 8 costs
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14