Home Sports Talk

2024 college football thread

Comments

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭

Georgia living up to the hype as usual. But yeah Bama looks even better this week.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bama went to sleep in the 2nd half.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭

The Milroe of usual showed up in the 2nd half. Bama took their foot off the gas but GA always shows up and always turns it on in the 2nd half

Not sure why coaches dont understand you have to keep your foot on the gas the entire game

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well regardless...............it was a helluva game. One of the few times I ever was glad to see Bama win.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

I’m going to have to hear about it on Monday from a dawg fan just because it was close. Ugh. They never shut up about Georgia.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2024 4:38AM

ROLL TIDE ROLL BABY !!!!
    Georgia is 45-3 in their last 48 games, but all three losses have come to Alabama

Mt TOP 12..... B)
    1. Texas
    2. OSU
    3. Bama
    4. Tenn
    5. Oregon
    6. Penn State
    7. Miami
    8. Missouri
    9. Georgia
    10. Michigan
    11. USC
    12. LSU

Coolstanleys top ten after 5 weeks.

Ohio State
    Texas
    Alabama
    Oregon
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Indiana
    Iowa State
    BYU
    USC

Ignore list -Basebal21

SEC! SEC! SEC!

The slobberfest continues....

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 29, 2024 12:53PM

Its almost like the best teams get voted the highest. The funniest part is most of the writers voting went to B!G schools which is why Michigan is too high.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love James Madison!

• burghmanburghman Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭

ESPN’s SP+ rankings this week are pretty interesting… Ole Miss at 4 with the loss to #24 Kentucky, while GA is at 7 with a loss to #3 Alabama. I know it’s predictive and doesn’t try to slot teams in like people would and isn’t ranking teams based on head-to-head results, but some of it still surprises me. Also… Notre Dame at 10 ahead of Miami, LSU at 12 while USC is 22, and 2-3 Auburn at 20. Maybe it’ll end up being close at season’s end.

Jim

@Basebal21 said:
    Its almost like the best teams get voted the highest. The funniest part is most of the writers voting went to B!G schools which is why Michigan is too high.

LOL. Absolutely ridiculous what these clowns do. How does Missou move up 2 spots on a bye week? And they have looked like ass. That is not even a top 15 team. Bama struggled with USF- who got smacked yesterday. LSU's ranking is criminal. The SEC bias is alive and well.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 29, 2024 5:56PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

LOL. Absolutely ridiculous what these clowns do. How does Missou move up 2 spots on a bye week? And they have looked like ass. That is not even a top 15 team. Bama struggled with USF- who got smacked yesterday. LSU's ranking is criminal. The SEC bias is alive and well.

Youre arguing against yourself again by trying to do the connect the dots argument. Bama and Texas made Wisconsin and Michigan look like they didnt belong on the field. Bama just beat an elite team. OSUs best win by far is against crappy Michigan State that lost to Boston College who Missouri beat.

Could spin this web deeper and deeper if you want to get into the who beat who. The fact that OSU still hasnt played a real game and Michigan is ranked in the top 10 when they dont know what a forward pass is disproves your bias

Missouri 14 OSU 3

SP + RANKINGS

1.Ohio state
    2.Texas
    3. Alabama
    4. Ole Miss
    5. Tennessee
    6. Penn State
    7. Georgia
    8. Oregon
    9. Missourie
    10. Notre Dame

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

This is amazing. Its like when Tom Sellieck said he lead the team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August in Mr Baseball.

Both those lists are just funny

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    This is amazing. Its like when Tom Sellieck said he lead the team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August in Mr Baseball.

The SP+ list is from ESPN. They are SEC homies.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 29, 2024 11:16PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

The SP+ list is from ESPN. They are SEC homies.

The SP+ list is some guys terrible predictive model that is supposed to model the future and doesnt do a very good job.

The model is insanely flawed. The top 4 teams will be the power conference champions. As good as Ole Miss is they arent winning the SEC and its literally impossible to have more than 1 team from a conference in the top 4. Who cares what some ESPN writer puts out. Go look around at what ESPN employees put out and Ill leave it at that

Missouri 14 OSU 3

All the polls are insanely flawed. Not just the one you dont agree with.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 30, 2024 3:13AM

Let's make this simple.

If FSU that is 1-4 had OSU's schedule, they would be 5-0.
    If all teams with 1 loss in Top 25 had OSU's schedule they would all be undefeated...... :)

edited September 30, 2024 12:12PM

@coolstanley said:
    All the polls are insanely flawed. Not just the one you dont agree with.

Theres plenty of polls that are fine. Theres even some good playoff predictive models out there, the SP+ isnt one of them. Anything claiming to be predictive should have a SEC, B!G, ACC, Big 12 team as their top 4. Technically the 4 highest rated conference champions get a bye but its unrealistic for a G5 champion to be ranked above a power conference champion. A lot needs to happen for that to occur. Its kind of dumb thats how it works but it is what it is.

Anything that has multiple teams in the top 4 isnt doing predictions. So in the case of the SP+ its doing a horrendous job of being predictive with 3 SEC teams in the top 4 and its doing a horrendous job for just doing current rankings with what it has. Its not even worth looking at. You just like it because it has OSU #1

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited September 30, 2024 1:32PM

The reason why you dont like it is because it has Ohio State #1 ;)

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 30, 2024 2:23PM

@coolstanley said:
    The reason why you dont like it is because it has Ohio State #1 ;)

Couldnt be further from the truth

I couldnt care less. Not sure how many times it needs to be said it doesnt matter. The conference champs will be the top 4

Its just a bad list. Its bad as a current list and its bad as a predictive list. I dont like it because its trash

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I’m curious why it’s bad. I can see the argument why OSU could be #1. I wouldn’t put them #1 but I can see the argument just like I can see one for bama and Texas and before Miami almost got tossed by VT I might have said Miami could be #1 now. Why is the list bad though? Is it because it’s bad that it’s bad because it’s bad?

I already said why it was bad. OSU has no claim to number 1 but that doesnt matter. As already stated if predictive as it claims than the top 4 need to be one from each power conference. If its a ranking for now its just a joke. Either way its not worth a look

Other than Michigan being ranked to high the AP poll for right now is one of the better ones theyve done

Missouri 14 OSU 3

So you would want the first 4 spots to be based on highest ranking in each conference and then rank order for 5-

Ok. But it could be just calculating probabilities based on current data. You could have a standard model produce 4 teams from the same conference. Because its probability of outcome. Whereas another model might look at possible outcomes and measure their individual probabilities. Both are valid.

I don’t think you’ve demonstrated that it’s an incorrect ranking to have OSU first.

@bgr said:
    So you would want the first 4 spots to be based on highest ranking in each conference and then rank order for 5-

Ok. But it could be just calculating probabilities based on current data. You could have a standard model produce 4 teams from the same conference. Because its probability of outcome. Whereas another model might look at possible outcomes and measure their individual probabilities. Both are valid.

I don’t think you’ve demonstrated that it’s an incorrect ranking to have OSU first.

So tell me the predicted data that 3 SEC teams are in the top 4 when its literally impossible

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• burghmanburghman Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2024 7:32PM

@bgr said:

I think the difference between you guys is that SP+ appears to be ranking on predictive strength of the team (your position, and my interpretation as well) not playoff seeding (his position). There are tons of “here’s what my playoff predictions are” takes out there - not as many data-based attempts at predicting each teams relative strength, so I like the current SP+ attempt (not necessarily the results at this point as noted in my prior post, but all models need more data and even some tweaking to improve their accuracy - 4 or 5 games largely against inferior opponents for most top teams isn’t a great set of data to predict from).

The final real polls could very well have SEC teams ranked 1 through 10 and that might be right, but the playoff seedings can only have 1 SEC team in the top 4. That doesn’t mean that the 4 strongest teams aren’t SEC teams; it just means the the agreement on seeding requires that they include the winners of the Power 4 conferences. Two different things, and I think SP+ is ignoring the seeding agreement and purely ranking on strength.

Jim

@burghman said:

@bgr said:

I think the difference between you guys is that SP+ appears to be ranking on predictive strength of the team (your position, and my interpretation as well) not playoff seeding (his position). There are tons of “here’s what my playoff predictions are” takes out there - not as many data-based attempts at predicting each teams relative strength, so I like the current SP+ attempt (not necessarily the results at this point as noted in my prior post, but all models need more data and even some tweaking to improve their accuracy - 4 or 5 games largely against inferior opponents for most top teams isn’t a great set of data to predict from).

The final real polls could very well have SEC teams ranked 1 through 10 and that might be right, but the playoff seedings can only have 1 SEC team in the top 4. That doesn’t mean that the 4 strongest teams aren’t SEC teams; it just means the the agreement on seeding requires that they include the winners of the Power 4 conferences. Two different things, and I think SP+ is ignoring the seeding agreement and purely ranking on strength.

Even if its off of predictive strength ignoring the playoff rankings theres not really a model that would come to the conclusions that it has. Ole Miss while incredibly talented lost to Kentucky at home while Georgia beat Kentucky. Ole Miss still has to play Georgia as well and Georgia will be the favorite in that game. Georgia also has one of the hardest schedules in the country only behind Florida.

If its going off of roster talent it still makes no sense. Bama and Georgia are the two most talented rosters, Texas and OSU are close but still fall short. Notre Dame at 10 makes no sense if its the talent level of the roster.

My big problem with it is just that it makes no sense no matter how you look at it. Whether its predictive or right now, or the talent level of the roster, what they have done, what is expected, playoff seeding, strength of schedule etc its just wrong for all of them.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

So tell me the predicted data that 3 SEC teams are in the top 4 when its literally impossible

I don’t think you understood my comment. I don’t care about the rankings. I was asking you to explain why a ranking with OSU first was bad.

I did try to answer why a predictive model could correctly produce an outcome which was subject to exclusion. That was secondary to the question I asked however. But I’ll assume what your question means and try to answer it.

Imagine Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss all have a 50% probability of finishing in the top 4 and OSU has the next highest probability of all NCAA D1 teams of finishing in the top 4 at 35% and Miami has a 16% probability of finishing the top 4. Your top 4 should be.

Bama, Miss, Georgia in whatever order 1-3
    OSU at 4
    Miami at 5

Now that’s not going to be a final order because it’s not viable given the ranking criteria with the playoff format we have now.

Again. This isn’t either novel or interesting. It just is. But it’s not what I asked you about.

@burghman said:

@bgr said:

Yup. I also think the better predictive algorithms would sort based on “strongest team” without considering conference for two main reasons.

1. It’s less accurate as far as the real probabilities for the teams and would certainly confuse when they see the 2nd best team at 5th. It’s just a power ranking.
    2. It is easy to sort the rankings into the playoff seeds when it matters.

I also agree with you on needing more data to predict or otherwise qualify possible playoff brackets. Which is the only thing that should matter to bb21s perspective. Not that rank order of the top 25 in any poll.

He was using bad reasoning to dismiss a poll which had OSU at #1 because it had multiple teams from a single conference in the top 4. Im not necessarily arguing that OSU should be 1 either. Just asking why a model is bad because it has them at 1.

edited September 30, 2024 9:37PM

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

I don’t think you understood my comment. I don’t care about the rankings. I was asking you to explain why a ranking with OSU first was bad.

I did try to answer why a predictive model could correctly produce an outcome which was subject to exclusion. That was secondary to the question I asked however. But I’ll assume what your question means and try to answer it.

Imagine Bama, Georgia, and Ole Miss all have a 50% probability of finishing in the top 4 and OSU has the next highest probability of all NCAA D1 teams of finishing in the top 4 at 35% and Miami has a 16% probability of finishing the top 4. Your top 4 should be.

OSU at 4
    Miami at 5

Now that’s not going to be a final order because it’s not viable given the ranking criteria with the playoff format we have now.

Again. This isn’t either novel or interesting. It just is. But it’s not what I asked you about.

Several reasons have already been stated. If you have to ask why OSU shouldnt be number 1 right now you clearly have no clue about college football

I guess since you were wrong about Skenes and the Pirates now this thread is going to get even more watered down? Its hard enough having real college football discussions already

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

OSU at 4
    Miami at 5

Several reasons have already been stated. If you have to ask why OSU shouldnt be number 1 right now you clearly have no clue about college football

I guess since you were wrong about Skenes and the Pirates now this thread is going to get even more watered down? Its hard enough having real college football discussions already

You’re a peach.

edited October 3, 2024 4:03AM

There are 5 more weeks of games to be played before the first CFP 12-team selections, Tuesday, 11-5.
    I imagine the Top 25 will look much different than now

OSU vs Oregon
    Bama vs Tenn
    Texas vs Georgia

Realistically with the super conferences that no longer have divisions were going to see playoff teams with 2 losses and likely more than one when you start looking at the remaining schedules. We might even see a 3 loss team. With how the talent is much more spread out now because of NIL and the transfer portal even the Bamas and Georgias no longer have a ton of 5 stars sitting on the bench like they did 10 years ago. Those guys want to play right away. Some will transfer to a bigger program after a year or two but the other schools still get them for a season or two.

Theres a very good chance were even going to see a 2 or 3 loss conference champion that ends up with a bye in the playoffs. I wont be the least bit surprised if they go to a 16 team playoff very soon.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teams rated #1 and #2 destroying teams #15 and 16 will get very boring very quickly.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Teams rated #1 and #2 destroying teams #15 and 16 will get very boring very quickly.

That would happen sometimes for sure but its not an unwinnable game like it was 20 years ago. There would be some upsets here and there. I would like to see the 16 with no byes over what we have now. The 12 is certainly an improvement from the 4 but the 5/6 teams can very easily be better or even already have beaten the 3/4 teams and the 3/4 get the bye.

Its never going to be perfect but the 16 team no bye is more interesting. Itll be interesting what the SEC and B!G agree one, they can just bully everyone else at this point if they want to

Missouri 14 OSU 3

12 teams is too many. 8 playoff teams would've been more than enough.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Michigan at Washington - natty rematch.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

🏈📺🥤🍿👍

Washington is bad but they actually have a QB which Michigan does not

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Missouri at Texas A&M -( missou get exposed )
    Tennessee at Arkansas - ( ass whipping incoming )
    Ole Miss at South Carolina
    UCF at Florida-- ( ??)
    Rutgers at Nebraska - (Huskers QB is going to be legit)
    Michigan at Washington - natty rematch)
    Texas Tech at Arizona -
    Kansas at Arizona State -
    SMU at Louisville -( Pony up)
    Pittsburgh at North Carolina( QB for Pitt is really good)
    Boston College at Virginia
    Duke at Georgia Tech
    Uga and Auburn
    FSU at little ole Clemson ( quietly becoming a elite team)
    Iowa vs Ohio State

Ignore list -Basebal21

Nappier is getting fired if he loses to UCF. They need to fire him anyways.

SMU and the Ole Miss games are interesting ones. Ole Miss has struggled with really good D lines which South Carolina has.

Clemsons my pick to win the ACC. Getting punished by Georgia doesnt mean someones a bad team

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Watching Michigan State @ Oregon right now. Those Oregon uniforms are something.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Oregon and Nike always do to much with their uniforms. They have some great ones every once in a while but most are just ugly

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍

• FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 220 ✭✭

This is a no brainer.

OSU and ALABAMA. all the marbles will go to OSU!!

Remember where you heard it first.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for playing Bama

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet