Home Sports Talk

2024 college football thread

123457»

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭✭

LSU was probably going to tell Kelly to find his own way home if they lost that. South Carolina is better than expected but LSU really should fire Kelly anyways. His ND teams didnt play with toughness and hes taken a lot of the toughness out of that LSU program.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    It's pretty bad when the National TV announcers say the refs helped LSU to get the win.

Seems to be the legal gambling mantra. It will be the downfall of the sport, though fun until then.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    LSU was probably going to tell Kelly to find his own way home if they lost that. South Carolina is better than expected but LSU really should fire Kelly anyways. His ND teams didnt play with toughness and hes taken a lot of the toughness out of that LSU program.

Never liked Kelly. A crusher in Columbia today. After an interception late and a score gets called back for a stupid hit on the qb, which would have put the game out of reach for LSU. This among other errors gave the game away.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 1:47PM

Wisconsin and Michigan might be playing for last place in the conference this year. They have no offense.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Basebal21 said:

Never liked Kelly. A crusher in Columbia today. After an interception late and a score gets called back for a stupid hit on the qb, which would have put the game out of reach for LSU. This among other errors gave the game away.

He was always a weird hire. I bet a lot of the boosters were like what did we do when he did his fake southern accent. South Carolina

Would have been more interesting if the USC QB didnt get hurt. That hit on Nuss on the pick really was stupid. I did laugh though when he threw his arms up like the wind blew Nuss over as flags were flying in like confetti

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@coolstanley said:
    Wisconsin and Michigan might be playing for last place in the conference this year. They have no offense.

Neither one of them will be anywhere close to last place

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas A&M is whoopin' up on Florida 33 - 7.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

1 Georgia didn't score a TD until the 4th quarter. Beats unranked Kentucky by one point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭

Badgers lost Van Dyke on the first drive. It’s not as bad as it was but it was still bad. Not that they had much chance in that game. But losing your starting QB on the opening drive is a bit of a challenge against a team like Bama.

@Steven59 said:
    Texas A&M is whoopin' up on Florida 33 - 7.

A&M has a ton of talent and are way better with the back up QB but looks like FL might be smartening up. FL has a board of trustees meting in a few hours (Sunday morning) to discuss Napiers future. He should have been fired last year and really never should have been hired. His buyout inst that much and seems like they might finally be done with him

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

My TOP 12
    1. Texas
    2. Bama
    3. Tenn
    4. Ole Miss
    5. Georgia
    6. Miami
    7. Missouri
    8. USC
    9. OSU
    10. Oregon
    11. Penn State
    12. Utah

5 sec teams in the top 5. You an ESECPN personality?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

MIZ-

ZOU-

RAH!

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

How has no one posted a pic of Nebraska QB Dylan Raiola trying to copy Patrick Mahomes?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always hate playing Kentucky, they step up against UGA. That said, we looked flustered the first half+ on O. I'll take the D giving up only FGs so far the past 4 games, but we can't bring that O mess again this year, especially next game vs Bama.

Good games coming up this week..... B)
    Tennessee vs Oklahoma
    USC vs Michigan
    UCLA vs LSU
    And last but not least the...........................

Ignore list -Basebal21

Anything saying Rutgers, Indiana and Louisville are top 10 teams but Georgia isnt cannot be taken seriously. Its so bad to the point you wonder if the person who made the list needed medical attention

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Anything saying Rutgers, Indiana and Louisville are top 10 teams but Georgia isnt cannot be taken seriously. Its so bad to the point you wonder if the person who made the list needed medical attention

Objectively speaking, the objective of objective analysis is to remove subjectivity, resulting in, objectively, more objective analysis.
    Georgia only had 262 yards of offense yesterday, and they were outgained by Kentucky.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited September 15, 2024 2:24PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Objectively speaking, the objective of objective analysis is to remove subjectivity, resulting in, objectively, more objective analysis.
    Georgia only had 262 yards of offense yesterday, and they were outgained by Kentucky.

That doesnt change anything I said.

If youre going to try and defend some guys absurdly horrendous list by trying to use yards in the games yesterday than Tennessee and Ole Miss are 1 and 2 by a mile. Ole Miss beat Wake so bad that wake paid them a million dollars to cancel their game in Oxford next year

Theres not a single intelligent list that has Rutgers, Indiana, and Louisville in the top 10 and Texas at 7 and Georgia excluded.

Thats a list that trolls put out or people that have absolutely no idea what theyre talking about.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited September 15, 2024 2:32PM

Georgia isn’t even a top ten team. Can we please stop pretending that Kentucky was somehow good? They’re a trash basketball team. I see what people see with Texas. I know what they see with Ohio State. What is it about Georgia That’s so great right now? Kentucky was running all over them with a mid back And a fifth string quarterback transfer from Georgia. They couldn’t run the ball either. Again, Kentucky is like Indiana. Kentucky basically outplayed them for four quarters and got jobbed by a bad call on a touchdown. If #1Ohio State went into Indiana and beat them by one point when we would drop to number five in the polls. No doubt about it. Bullshit SEC bias.
    Each season the SEC bias hangs around the less I care about it.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Odds say what about that poll.... :#

@coolstanley said:
    Georgia isn’t even a top ten team. Can we please stop pretending that Kentucky was somehow good? They’re a trash basketball team. I see what people see with Texas. I know what they see with Ohio State. What is it about Georgia That’s so great right now? Kentucky was running all over them with a mid back And a fifth string quarterback transfer from Georgia. They couldn’t run the ball either. Again, Kentucky is like Indiana. Kentucky basically outplayed them for four quarters and got jobbed by a bad call on a touchdown. If #1Ohio State went into Indiana and beat them by one point when we would drop to number five in the polls. No doubt about it. Bullshit SEC bias.
    Each season the SEC bias hangs around the less I care about it.

Saying Georgia isnt even a top 10 team is just absolutely delusion. They without question are. They have a game every year where they show up bored and need a wake up call. They havent even allowed a single TD all year

Ohio State hasnt played a real game yet. So aside from being a bias fan youre banking it off roster talent and Georgias ranks higher. Your SEC paranoia is just punching at clouds.

OSU couldnt even win their own division much less conference and has been put into the playoffs before and they only have a 2 to 3 game schedule every year

Theres absolutely no way anyone knowledgeable could say Georgia isnt a top 10 team. Your arguments against Georgia who has dominated Clemson and beat Kentucky are literally just arguing to take OSU out of the top 10 for playing Akron and Western Michigan

Missouri 14 OSU 3

The objective poll I posted came from ESPN not BIG TEN network. So your nonsense opinions about the Big ten teams is just 3rd grade dribble. The Big ten is just as good or better than your conference.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:
    The objective poll I posted came from ESPN not BIG TEN network. So your nonsense opinions about the Big ten teams is just 3rd grade dribble. The Big ten is just as good or better than your conference.

I dont have a conference. SEC fans also dont have a conference. They have a team, they dont root for rivals and B!G school rooting for Michigan and OSU fans doing that last year to say the conference finally won a title again was and is just sad.

My school is Navy they dont matter to talk about unless its to try and end NDs season

And no the B!G is not just as good as the SEC. The SEC has the most championships the last 20 years, has had the most players drafted to the NFL 17 years in a row, has an all time winning record against the B!G,, by far the most players in the NFL, and even if you want to do head to head by decades you have to go back decades to find a decade the B!G had a winning record against the SEC.

You fould a troll post and loved it because you root for a conference. Its not even a good trolling ranking. Good trolls will put 1 wild one and one that makes you scratch your head that you could maybe talk yourself into. Putting Lousiville in he could have made that work. Puttin Texas at 7 thats two low, could have worked in the top 4. Adding Indiana and Rutgers who have absolutely no argument to be there and leaving out Georgia which there is no argument for.

It was a bad troll job by the maker and you reposted it and are trying to defend it

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm Not caught up watching...
    🏈📺🥤👍

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:
    T

And no the B!G is not just as good as the SEC. The SEC has the most championships the last 20 years

Why only go back 20 years? The BIG TEN has won the most National Championships and they were also the best conference last year.

Big Ten : 31

▪︎ Michigan 10 (1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1948, 1997, 2023)

▪︎ Ohio State 8 (1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, 2002, 2014)

▪︎ Minnesota 6 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960)

▪︎ Illinois 3 (1919, 1923, 1927)

▪︎ Michigan State 2 (1965, 1966)

▪︎ Iowa 1 (1958)

▪︎ Chicago 1 (1905)

SEC : 27

▪︎ Alabama 13 (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020)

▪︎ LSU 4 (1958, 2003, 2007, 2019)

▪︎ Georgia 3 (1980, 2022, 2023)

▪︎ Florida 3 (1996, 2006, 2008)

▪︎ Auburn 2 (1957, 2010)

▪︎ Tennessee 2 (1951, 1998)

▪︎ Ole Miss 1 (1960)

And there are four teams that have more draft picks than ANY sec team. Michigan and Alabama are tied.

1. Notre Dame - 525
    2. USC - 523
    3. Ohio State - 485
    4. Oklahoma - 414
    5. Michigan - 401
    6. Alabama - 401

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:
    T

And no the B!G is not just as good as the SEC. The SEC has the most championships the last 20 years

Why only go back 20 years? The BIG TEN has won the most National Championships and they were also the best conference last year.

Big Ten : 31

▪︎ Michigan 10 (1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1948, 1997, 2023)

▪︎ Ohio State 8 (1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968, 1970, 2002, 2014)

▪︎ Minnesota 6 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960)

▪︎ Illinois 3 (1919, 1923, 1927)

▪︎ Michigan State 2 (1965, 1966)

▪︎ Iowa 1 (1958)

▪︎ Chicago 1 (1905)

SEC : 27

▪︎ Alabama 13 (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020)

▪︎ LSU 4 (1958, 2003, 2007, 2019)

▪︎ Georgia 3 (1980, 2022, 2023)

▪︎ Florida 3 (1996, 2006, 2008)

▪︎ Auburn 2 (1957, 2010)

▪︎ Tennessee 2 (1951, 1998)

▪︎ Ole Miss 1 (1960)

And there are four teams that have more draft picks than ANY sec team. Michigan and Alabama are tied.

1. Notre Dame - 525
    2. USC - 523
    3. Ohio State - 485
    4. Oklahoma - 414
    5. Michigan - 401
    6. Alabama - 401

If were going to go back 6 or 7 generations back when teams were playing what was basically the local YMCA and calling those games the B!G still wouldnt be the most dominate. Yale would be the most dominate school of all time in college football.

Yale has the most championships, Alabama is second and Princeton third so I guess the B!G would be behind the IVY if we are going back that far.

What league has the most players in the NFL. the SEC
    What league has the most players drafted 17 years in a row, the SEC
    What league between the SEC and B!G has the most wins and a winning record. the SEC

Can even cut that time frame to just 10 years and the answers are the same

Missouri 14 OSU 3

And this guy tries to suggest that Navy is his favorite team? Bahhaahaaa :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

Has Georgia dropped to 5 yet?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Any reason I shouldn't be thinking Memphis will handle Florida State, Oregon State at home will keep it close against Oregon and Purdue will keep it close as well at home against the Irish?

So I was 1 out of 3 lol

Odds for TOP 25..... B)

A game I forgot to mention from last Saturday is the SEC got embarrassed, as Toledo destroyed SEC power Mississippi State 41-17.

Ignore list -Basebal21

🏈📺🥤👍

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Coolstanley,
    You are the only super fan I can remember that roots for their archrivals because they play in the same conference as their team.

I think we need to start posting every time a B10 "power" loses...

B10 power Purdue annihilated 66-7 by Notre Dame.

B10 power Wisconsin embarrassed by SEC stalwart Alabama 42 - 10

B10 power Michigan and defending national champion destroyed by SEC newcomer Texas 31 - 10

B10 power Iowa chokes against Iowa State 20 - 19

Robb

Big 10 Power Wisconsin. I like the sound of that. Been a while since it’s been true. Glory days for big red.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Big 10 Power Wisconsin. I like the sound of that. Been a while since it’s been true. Glory days for big red.

Ron Dayne likes the sound of this

@perkdog said:

@bgr said:

Ron Dayne likes the sound of this

Old school Jared Abbrederis...

• burghmanburghman Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,
    You are the only super fan I can remember that roots for their archrivals because they play in the same conference as their team.

B10 power Michigan and defending national champion destroyed by SEC newcomer Texas 31 - 10

Robb

I’ll admit to rooting for my conference rivals also, as long as there’s a benefit to be gained. I want every team that Penn St plays to be undefeated when we play them and then to win out. The committee and pollsters have shown that the record and ranking of your opponents matters. Why would I root for Ohio St or Michigan to be 0-12 (other than it would be hilarious)? It does nothing to help Penn St in the long run to beat teams that everyone else also beats, but if we beat 12 teams that finish 11-1 (obviously impossible in a conference since conference teams all cannibalize each other)… that’s an impressive resumé.

Jim

let's go Old School...

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,

Robb

No I dont root for Michigan. All those scores are power 4 teams. Toledo is a MAC school. Apples and oranges.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Coolstanley and I quote:

Notre Dame defeats SEC power Texas A@M 23-13.

USC defeats SEC power LSU in the Modelo Vegas classic 27-20

Miami destroys SEC power Florida 41-17.

Looks like apples to apples to me.

Robb

@burghman said:

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,

Robb

I’ll admit to rooting for my conference rivals also, as long as there’s a benefit to be gained. I want every team that Penn St plays to be undefeated when we play them and then to win out. The committee and pollsters have shown that the record and ranking of your opponents matters. Why would I root for Ohio St or Michigan to be 0-12 (other than it would be hilarious)? It does nothing to help Penn St in the long run to beat teams that everyone else also beats, but if we beat 12 teams that finish 11-1 (obviously impossible in a conference since conference teams all cannibalize each other)… that’s an impressive resumé.

Rooting for them to be good just hurts Penn State. Aside from being rivals that you should always root against if you win a power conference youre in the playoffs. The top 5 ranked conference winners have automatic bids with the top 4 ranked ones getting the bye which is going to be the power 4 conferences every time. It doesnt matter if OSU and Michigan are 22-2 or 0-24 just win the conference and youre in. The better they are the harder it is to do.

Strength of schedule will only come into play for the 2 or 3 loss teams. In Penn States case specifically you really should be rooting for the conference to be bad given Franklins abysmal record against ranked teams particularly against top 5 and top 10 teams

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley and I quote:

Notre Dame defeats SEC power Texas A@M 23-13.

USC defeats SEC power LSU in the Modelo Vegas classic 27-20

Miami destroys SEC power Florida 41-17.

Looks like apples to apples to me.

Robb

I do find it amazing that somehow FL and Mississippi State are "powers" when both were projected to finish at the bottom and miss bowl games.

I mean if its baseball thats a different story but that starts in February and I doubt that fall inter-squad games are worth talking about lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3