Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:
    So who are the top 3 teams in the NFL right now ?

that is a tough one.
    I think San Fran is number one. even with the loss.
    none of the other teams stick out to me as overly dominating just yet. I would lump Buffalo, Philly, KC, Miami and Det into the next level.

this is all with the understanding that one or two key injuries derails a team.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

San Francisco when healthy
    Never can count out teams with ELITE QB’s
    Kansas City
    Buffalo
    Philly isn’t playing as well this year and maybe there’s enough tape to make them struggle. Still a ver good roster.
    Miami is video game fun but when the pressure was on they looked bad
    Detroit has to be in the conversation. No longer can we look at them as a flash. They have a complete roster and Goff is in control of the offense.
    But looking at this year there a at least 6 teams besides those mentioned that can win a one game playoff series

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Fun fact
    New England is 0-16 in the last 16 games ATS as an underdog
    Mac Jones is 0-12 ATS as an underdog

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The Eagles are 5-1 and have had a few close games and finally a loss Sunday. Now the brunt of playing a 1st place schedule will begin.

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Of course 2 games with division foe Cowboys and Washington and the Giants. 7 of their last eleven will be a tale of the tape.

So 7 of their next 11 will come against division winners, playoff teams and teams with winning records.
    Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    The Eagles are 5-1 and have had a few close games and finally a loss Sunday. Now the brunt of playing a 1st place schedule will begin.

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Of course 2 games with division foe Cowboys and Washington and the Giants. 7 of their last eleven will be a tale of the tape.

So 7 of their next 11 will come against division winners, playoff teams and teams with winning records.
    Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

oh man, those will be some fun games to watch!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

Good post.
    The last interception hurts had in that game against the jets was inexplicable. They showed it from hurts point of view, a receiver standing there 12-15 yards downfield with a defender standing 3 feet to his left and one 3 feet to his right. You couldn’t have shot the football out of a cannon and got it to the receiver in time. Easiest pic ever.
    I’m not one to say the game was fixed but if anyone said so after seeing that play I wouldn’t have any reasonable argument.

• Options

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

Good post.
    The last interception hurts had in that game against the jets was inexplicable. They showed it from hurts point of view, a receiver standing there 12-15 yards downfield with a defender standing 3 feet to his left and one 3 feet to his right. You couldn’t have shot the football out of a cannon and got it to the receiver in time. Easiest pic ever.
    I’m not one to say the game was fixed but if anyone said so after seeing that play I wouldn’t have any reasonable argument.

Coaching. Run the ball. Make the jets use their last time out and punt. Make a futile offense go the length of the field to best you.

All these new analytics are not a substitute for good old common sense and coaching.
    Time management seems to be a completely lost art.
    A team needs to hire me for $1M to tell the coach don’t be an idiot. Punt, take the field goal. Don’t run from the 1 with no time outs. I mean the analytics guys make that and he’s an ass.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

@2dueces said:

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

Good post.

Coaching. Run the ball. Make the jets use their last time out and punt. Make a futile offense go the length of the field to best you.

All these new analytics are not a substitute for good old common sense and coaching.
    Time management seems to be a completely lost art.
    A team needs to hire me for $1M to tell the coach don’t be an idiot. Punt, take the field goal. Don’t run from the 1 with no time outs. I mean the analytics guys make that and he’s an ass.

Yes Sirianni trusted hurts not to do something dumb on that play and it backfired big time. If hurts couldn’t find an open receiver he should have ran it or even taken a sack.
    But yes like you said run the ball and use clock.
    Hurts decision making seems to be a lot worse this year so far than last year.

• Options

One thing I noticed about Purdy during Sundays game is his ability to escape from pressure is far below some of the other top line QB’s.
    If the rush gets to him he’s about as easy to sack as Winnie the Pooh.
    Come to think of it he looks kind of like him too. 🤔

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an exciting game tonight, I'm fighting to stay awake.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Well that's better. 4th quarter is getting interesting.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

Dolphins
    Chiefs
    Bills
    49ers
    Seahawks

Hurts last year
    22 TD’s 6 ints
    This year
    7 TD’s 7 ints.
    Should be interesting

Should be proving to all teams you listed. Can be sure all teams will be up for the games, providing all teams are at full strength. I just hope all are, then no excuses.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Looks like Goodell signed an extension to be commissioner through 2027 at 60 million $ per year

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Looks like Goodell signed an extension to be commissioner through 2027 at 60 million $ per year

i hope he is eligible for medicare. i just dont see how he will be able to afford healthcare at that salary

• Options

Not that it really matters at this point of the season but............

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    "The #AZCardinals are planning to open the practice window for QB Kyler Murray today, the first step in a slow process to ramp him up, coach Jonathan Gannon said. Murray and the team will be smart with his return from an ACL tear, but being on the practice field is a good step."

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin

your team reacquired Hardman and there are rumors of them trading for Marquise Brown

they are trying to put a band-aid on the boo-boo we've been discussing

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @Darin

your team reacquired Hardman and there are rumors of them trading for Marquise Brown

they are trying to put a band-aid on the boo-boo we've been discussing

Yes I like them getting Hardman back. He’s valuable even just for screens and jet sweeps. Don’t know why the jets didn’t play him.

• Options

"Deshaun Watson practices Thursday with Browns"

No word on if he will play Sunday.

• Options

Trevor Lawrence is expected to play tonight. I thought they’d sit him playing the Saints. Their defense is no joke and if he’s not 100% it puts him in a bad position. JMO

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Not a bad half for Lawrence - 15/21 146 yds and a 17-6 lead.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

^^^^ The Lions do actually look legit. they have put together quite a run going back into last season.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a big game for the Eagles this weekend. They are 5-1, but some of those wins have been ugly. The Dolphin are also 5-1 and have looked better than the Eagles. Still they are not the invincible team some thought they were. The Bills proved that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    ^^^^ The Lions do actually look legit. they have put together quite a run going back into last season.

I like the Lions at Baltimore. Baltimore hasn’t really shown me anything and the Lions are complete and hungry

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Waston going to start for the Browns vs Colts.

• Options

Colts to celebrate 'Indiana Nights' with alternate uniforms this Sunday vs Browns........

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It’s a big game for the Eagles this weekend. They are 5-1, but some of those wins have been ugly. The Dolphin are also 5-1 and have looked better than the Eagles. Still they are not the invincible team some thought they were. The Bills proved that.

I am really excited about this one. i hope it is a good game

• Options

Besides the Dolphins-Eagles who’s everyone watching today? Of course my main focus will be the bills but the Ravens- Lions game is an interesting one. Can the Lions go on the road and beat a good defense? I’m betting they can.
    Chiefs-Chargers. The Chiefs haven’t lost it a team with a losing record in a long time. I think after Kansas City wins Staleys hot seat gets hotter

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Besides the Dolphins-Eagles who’s everyone watching today? Of course my main focus will be the bills but the Ravens- Lions game is an interesting one. Can the Lions go on the road and beat a good defense? I’m betting they can.
    Chiefs-Chargers. The Chiefs haven’t lost it a team with a losing record in a long time. I think after Kansas City wins Staleys hot seat gets hotter

Pats Bills in the early game. I'm at the point where I'm not worried about wins and losses. Scratch that. Don't want wins. Playing Buffalo so a W isn't on the menu.

I had a very small inkling that this could be a loss for the Chiefs. But I doubt it.

• Options

And Watson doesn't even make it through the first quarter without being walked off the field.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 11:06AM

i'm watching Bal-Det and the Lions are getting absolutely massacred

midway thru the 2nd it's 28-0 and total yards are 325 to 13

from one week to the next, you just never know what you're going to get in the NFL

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Amazing - so much for Detroit today.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 1:08PM

@2dueces said:
    Fun fact
    New England is 0-16 in the last 16 games ATS as an underdog
    Mac Jones is 0-12 ATS as an underdog

Well thankfully that streak ended.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 1:36PM

How about that Vaunted Cleveland D giving up 38 to the Minshew led Colts

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

from one week to the next, you just never know what you're going to get in the NFL

yes, this is a very strange season indeed!

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 2:12PM

can we please stop talking about Buffalo like they are a top-tier AFC team..........they are so grossly overrated

making Mac Jones look like Tom Brady out there for crying out loud

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    can we please stop talking about Buffalo like they are a top-tier AFC team..........they are so grossly overrated

Agreed, I said it before the season started that I thought they would be taking a step back this year

• Options

looks like its going to be a shootout at arrowhead today. lots of big plays in the first half

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 2:40PM

@perkdog said:

Agreed, I said it before the season started that I thought they would be taking a step back this year

i haven't been high on them either. i said this once before......when you take away Diggs on that offense who instills fear in you

and i like Allen and think he's a good QB, but i don't see the player i did years ago

they played their Super Bowl against Miami a few weeks ago

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    looks like its going to be a shootout at arrowhead today. lots of big plays in the first half

Remember it's the Chargers. They always fade when the chips are down.

In the meantime, Tampa is showing they don't have what it takes. Their running game is nonexistent. They are in a very weak division. It would be nice to have one dog in the playoffs. For me it will be Tampa or the Eagles. Neither of them will last long if they don't perk up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:

The Bills season ended in London when their top 3 defensive players season ended. To win a Super Bowl you must stay healthy. But today it sure wasn’t Josh Allen’s fault. He played his a$$ off to give buffalo the lead inside 2 minutes. Oliver, Jones, Milano and White consistent of 20% of the Bills salary. Regardless they should still be competitive and not to be disregarded

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did I hear that correctly on the CBS halftime show? The last 27 targets to Travis Kelce has resulted in 27 completions? Mahomes to Kelce is 9 for 9 today, 9 for 9 last game vs Denver, and 10 for 11 vs Minnesota, so I guess that is the case. Wow!

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 3:53PM

@countdouglas said:
    Did I hear that correctly on the CBS halftime show? The last 27 targets to Travis Kelce has resulted in 27 completions? Mahomes to Kelce is 9 for 9 today, 9 for 9 last game vs Denver, and 10 for 11 vs Minnesota, so I guess that is the case. Wow!

Yeah, now that Kelce is "dating" Taylor Swift his hands have been getting extra practice grabbing onto things and holding on!

• Options

Pretty good day for Lamar Jackson today: 21/27 passing, 357 yds, 3 TD, 0 int

• Options

Funny how no matter how bad everbody says the Steelers are they just keep winning.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Funny how no matter how bad everbody says the Steelers are they just keep winning.

I still can't understand how they win, I definitely am one that thought they were awful but they are a scrappy team for sure

• Options

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:

The Bills season ended in London when their top 3 defensive players season ended. To win a Super Bowl you must stay healthy. But today it sure wasn’t Josh Allen’s fault. He played his a$$ off to give buffalo the lead inside 2 minutes. Oliver, Jones, Milano and White consistent of 20% of the Bills salary. Regardless they should still be competitive and not to be disregarded

Injuries definitely play into it.

Diggs is really their only big play guy, I do think Cooks is definitely one of the better backs they have had.

• Options

scrappy is a good adjective to describe the steelers.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 5:50PM

@perkdog said:

@Steven59 said:

I still can't understand how they win, I definitely am one that thought they were awful but they are a scrappy team for sure

All I need is Tomlin to have another winning season.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Phily with the early lead.