Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Multiple turnovers gas out defenses that lead to bad touchdowns.

I never said their D was amazing but it hasnt been the issue.

here's the first half against Minny and the first half against Cincy. you know, the time when the defense shouldn't be so gassed (lol). I see ONE play made by the SF defense (a pick), and ONE turnover by the SF offense......and it was deep in Minnesota territory. then what did the Niners defense do? they compounded that problem by allowing the Vikings to blow down the field and score. then they allowed them to blow down the field and kick a FG. then they allowed them to blow down the field and score another touchdown.

now let's move to the Cincy game.

I see ZERO turnovers by the SF offense. I then see one touchdown by the Bengals, another one, a missed FG, and a turnover near the goal line.

and Z-E-R-O punts by either the Vikings or Bengals

so in two halves, the Niners D -- which, according to you, is playing fine and not the problem -- didn't force a single punt when they were supposedly fresh (lol), and they were very fortunate not to allow 7 consecutive scoring drives.

you're the best bro lol

Fine and elite are two different things. Even if the 49ers D gave up a 100 points it wouldnt have made any difference. The offense put up 17 which is at the bottom of the league. Even ignoring the turnovers thats asking the defense to hold to a team to 16 or less when basically every team averages more than that. Theres 4 teams that average less than 17 and only two that average less than 16.

Thats also just one game. If they had lost 38 31 or something like that sure the defense is the problem. One game doesnt really ring any alarm bells, but multiple games of a bad offense is something to be more concerned about.

Even the Vikings game you posted, no fumble make the FG its a different game.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lions won the game last night, but the flaws are things they can’t do if they are going to make it to the next level. Failing to finish drives and only getting field goals and fumbling inside the 5 yard line were the most obvious. You can’t do that when you are up against the best teams.

Since they are in a weak division and their main competition, the Vikings, are in trouble because of the loss of Kirt Cousins, they will make the playoffs, but how long will they last?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did the Detroit Lions get cheerleaders? That must have been somewhat recent.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it when guys get passionate on the sports forum!!!

get after it galaxy and basebal21!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the Vikings acquire a QB before the 4 pm trade deadline?
    We’ve already seen a few trades of safeties and defensive linemen but nothing monumental yet.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    We’ve already seen a few trades of safeties and defensive linemen but nothing monumental yet.

Who would they go after though?

Maybe give Trey Lance a try?

I see no reason to get a guy like Tanehill.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    When did the Detroit Lions get cheerleaders? That must have been somewhat recent.

A site for sore eyes 😁

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 11:03AM

anyone watch the game last night? Jimmy G profoundly sucks. but i'm sure in basebal's mind he played fine lol

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    anyone watch the game last night? Jimmy G profoundly sucks. but i'm sure in basebal's mind he played fine lol

Shouldnt you be arguing that the Raiders defense didnt give them a chance to win? The Raiders scored 14 points thats only 3 less than the 49ers have scored in their last three games and the Raiders even turned the ball over less. Shouldnt the defense have held them to less than 14 points so they had a chance?

Of course Gimmy G was awful, hes been awful all year. Hes a backup QB that you really dont want starting. Hes basically the Mendoza line of the NFL.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2023 12:13PM

and there you have it...................a defense that was reeling and couldn't generate pressure on the QB just made a huge move

Chase Young to the Niners

do defenses that are doing just fine make moves like this? 😅

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Shouldnt you be arguing that the Raiders defense didnt give them a chance to win?

the Raiders defense scored as many points as the offense did. so the answer to that question is unequivocally no.

you hang your hat on stuff like gassed touchdowns given up................well guess what? that's exactly what happened to the Raiders defense last night

if you had actually watched the game, which i'm sure you didn't, you would have, hopefully, picked up on that

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Shouldnt you be arguing that the Raiders defense didnt give them a chance to win?

the Raiders defense scored as many points as the offense did. so the answer to that question is unequivocally no.

you hang your hat on stuff like gassed touchdowns given up................well guess what? that's exactly what happened to the Raiders defense last night

if you had actually watched the game, which i'm sure you didn't, you would have, hopefully, picked up on that

I dont hang my hat on anything. I objectively look at games and since I dont have a dog in the fight its much easier to do than fans that get blinders on about things. If an offense scores 17 points or 14 points the only way a defense can give them a chance to win is to hold a team to a preposterously low score

This isnt the 1960s anymore. Basically every team in the league averages more than 20 points a game.

I was purely just replying in the same manner as you saying I would say Jimmy G played fine.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Fine and elite are two different things.

so for the record, your definition of fine is a defense that can't make the opposition punt and allows them to score at will

what exactly is your definition of suck?

asking for a friend the forum

Thats also just one game. One game doesnt really ring any alarm bells, but multiple games of a bad offense is something to be more concerned about.

so your latest spin job is to try and turn two abysmal defensive performances into one and hope that no one notices?

😅

you may be my favorite poster of all time

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Who would they go after though?

Maybe give Trey Lance a try?

I see no reason to get a guy like Tanehill.

Joshua Dobbs

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Basebal21

they just acquired Chase Young from Washington. why would they do that if the defense, according to you, was playing fine and wasn't the problem? where's the help on offense instead since you think they are the true culprits?

dude you don't look at anything objectively, and that's your problem. you do lots of wild opining, and it's sheer entertainment for anyone who is reading. you wanna look at something objectively? why don't you look at the first halves of their last two games, study the scoring drives intently, then come back and once again tell the forum that the defense is doing just fine and hasn't been a problem.

listen, i like you and i'm glad you're here. at times i think you know sports. but it's times like this that i wonder if something is wrong with you. even Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Mr. Magoo could see that the defense was in dire need of help, and that's why they went after Young.

it is a-ok to admit you are wrong and change your mind..........you are very much allowed to do that. but if you want to sit here and keep yapping about the Niners offense being the sole reason why they have lost 3 straight, then no one is going to take anything you say seriously my friend.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Fine and elite are two different things.

so for the record, your definition of fine is a defense that can't make the opposition punt and allows them to score at will

what exactly is your definition of suck?

asking for a friend the forum

Thats also just one game. One game doesnt really ring any alarm bells, but multiple games of a bad offense is something to be more concerned about.

so your latest spin job is to try and turn two abysmal defensive performances into one and hope that no one notices?

😅

you may be my favorite poster of all time

In what world is a defense that has given up more than 30 points once all year and more than 24 3 times all year including the 30+ point game a defense that can be scored on at will? The average NFL team has an average points per game in the 20s. 21 teams average 20 points or more a game.

Giving up 19 points, 22 points, and 31 points is hardly abysmal. 31 is the only one there could be a grip about

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @Basebal21

they just acquired Chase Young from Washington. why would they do that if the defense, according to you, was playing fine and wasn't the problem? where's the help on offense instead since you think they are the true culprits?

dude you don't look at anything objectively, and that's your problem. you do lots of wild opining, and it's sheer entertainment for anyone who is reading. you wanna look at something objectively? why don't you look at the first halves of their last two games, study the scoring drives intently, then come back and once again tell the forum that the defense is doing just fine and hasn't been a problem.

listen, i like you and i'm glad you're here. at times i think you know sports. but it's times like this that i wonder if something is wrong with you. even Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Mr. Magoo could see that the defense was in dire need of help, and that's why they went after Young.

it is a-ok to admit you are wrong and change your mind..........you are very much allowed to do that. but if you want to sit here and keep yapping about the Niners offense being the sole reason why they have lost 3 straight, then no one is going to take anything you say seriously my friend.

Why would trading a 3rd round pick for someone they think could be able to help indicate that somehow their defense was terrible? Teams in every sport go out and explore ways to make themselves better if they like the price of the trade. Its not like they can go out and trade for Malhomes or Burrow or really any good QB which is what they really needed. You improve where you can and whats realistically possible

A 3th round pick isnt much/ He was largely a bust in Washington but its a good move to take the chance and maybe he will be better there. Washingtons having a fire sale, why the Bears gave them a 2nd round pick that one is just the Bears being the Bears.

I understand that fans of teams get upset about things its one of the things that make sports so fun.

• Options

I don’t think the Cowboys-Eagles game is the best game on Sunday. 4 AFC contenders go head to head Sunday.
    Chiefs-Dolphins in Germany at 9:30 am and
    Bills-Bengals at 1:00 pm.

Kansas City looked very average against the Broncos but Mahomes wasn’t 100%. I’m not sure traveling to Germany is going to do him any favors. Dolphins can score but can they play defense and can Tua come from behind if they’re down 10 or more.

Bills have looked average at best the last 4 games and Borrow is healthy. Not a lot of confidence in my Bills but the did shore up the CB spot with a last minute trade

What’s the board thinking?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I don’t think the Cowboys-Eagles game is the best game on Sunday. 4 AFC contenders go head to head Sunday.

Kansas City looked very average against the Broncos but Mahomes wasn’t 100%. I’m not sure traveling to Germany is going to do him any favors. Dolphins can score but can they play defense and can Tua come from behind if they’re down 10 or more.

Bills have looked average at best the last 4 games and Borrow is healthy. Not a lot of confidence in my Bills but the did shore up the CB spot with a last minute trade

This is an interesting year in that there seems to be enough parity to keep us guessing this deep in the season about who might be the best teams.

All three of those games should tell us a lot.

I remember (way back when they were very good) thinking that I didn't mind the Patriots losing one of these big mid-season matchups. It almost felt better to lose it, while looking good, than to blow the other team out. But I don't know if that scenario quite fits here, I just wanted to reminisce. I digress,

The Chiefs would still be my number one contender. If they don't win it all this year, and their offense stays as it is, Chiefs fans will be saying that the team wasted the best Mahomes era defense.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the Dolphins are legit. lol

By the accounts I heard an read, Burrow is all mended up and ready to rock. And they are looking to re-establish themselves after a slow start. Bills are still my number two contenders, at least AFC wise, maybe whole league.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

This is an interesting year in that there seems to be enough parity to keep us guessing this deep in the season about who might be the best teams.

I remember (way back when they were very good) thinking that I didn't mind the Patriots losing one of these big mid-season matchups. It almost felt better to lose it, while looking good, than to blow the other team out. But I don't know if that scenario quite fits here, I just wanted to reminisce. I digress,

The Chiefs would still be my number one contender. If they don't win it all this year, and their offense stays as it is, Chiefs fans will be saying that the team wasted the best Mahomes era defense.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that the Dolphins are legit. lol

By the accounts I heard an read, Burrow is all mended up and ready to rock. And they are looking to re-establish themselves after a slow start. Bills are still my number two contenders, at least AFC wise, maybe whole league.

We shouldn’t overlook the Ravens as a contender. How far they go is always dependent on Jackson and their defense

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

We shouldn’t overlook the Ravens as a contender. How far they go is always dependent on Jackson and their defense

Absolutely. And I said before last Sundays games that I was looking to see if the Ravens were sneaking up on us a contender. I only watched the highlights of their game this weekend, and can't say I have a great feel for them, but they do seem to be in the mix.

So we have a good chunk of teams in the AFC including the Jaguars who weren't mentioned.
    And the NFC. Lions, Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers

It wouldn't surprise me too much to see any of these teams in the final four...as of now. Which I'll say again makes it interesting.

I'm sure if we revisit this in five weeks, sone cream will have started to rise.

• Options

Raiders fired their coach and GM. Good move by them to move on to more competent people

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Raiders fired their coach and GM. Good move by them to move on to more competent people

Good for Davis, that team is a disaster

So the question is does Josh need Brady to be a competent OC?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Thats a very good question. Now that hes failed as a head coach at two different teams and was fired quickly from both it seems crazy for anyone to give him a HC job again. I'd imagine if he wants to stay in the NFL an OC job is probably the best he could get going forward, maybe even coming back to the Pats.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Thats a very good question. Now that hes failed as a head coach at two different teams and was fired quickly from both it seems crazy for anyone to give him a HC job again. I'd imagine if he wants to stay in the NFL an OC job is probably the best he could get going forward, maybe even coming back to the Pats.

I always thought he was going to be the successor to Belichick but got tired of waiting IDK

I'm not a fan of Bill Obrien at all but with McDaniels track record I'm not sure I'd want him to be our HC

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

I always thought he was going to be the successor to Belichick but got tired of waiting IDK

I'm not a fan of Bill Obrien at all but with McDaniels track record I'm not sure I'd want him to be our HC

Obrian probably is better, but given Josh left and came back once before I wouldnt rule it out happening again. They have to be some sort of friends since he was brought back after his failed Denver HC job. Seems like Bill is more interested in people that do what he wants or likes to be around than making the best decisions at this point

• Options

I’m wondering if the lack of moves at the trade deadline factored into the firing.
    Obviously Jimmy G wasn’t 100 % Monday night but he was the chosen one by Josh and Dave and handed a nice contract even with his history of missing large parts of a season due to injuries. ( Back injury this year)
    They had the opportunity to deal Adams and Jacobs but stood pat. In hindsight that’s a blessing for Raiders fans as they can rebuild around them.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I’m wondering if the lack of moves at the trade deadline factored into the firing.
    Obviously Jimmy G wasn’t 100 % Monday night but he was the chosen one by Josh and Dave and handed a nice contract even with his history of missing large parts of a season due to injuries. ( Back injury this year)
    They had the opportunity to deal Adams and Jacobs but stood pat. In hindsight that’s a blessing for Raiders fans as they can rebuild around them.

I highly doubt Adam's has any interest in playing for that team let alone Jimmy G, it's embarrassing the lack of targets Adam's gets

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 7:01AM

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

I highly doubt Adam's has any interest in playing for that team let alone Jimmy G, it's embarrassing the lack of targets Adam's gets

He wanted to go to the Raiders to play with Carr. They were teammates in college and are good friends. For whatever reason they got rid of Carr a year after getting him. At this point he very likely doesnt want to be there anymore. Its also probably pretty likely that Davis just took all last day authority away from the GM not liking any trades that had been presented so far and not willing to let a GM hes about to fire do anything.

• Options

@2dueces said:

I cant wait to see all those games. I think Mahomes has seemed off so far this season. lowest TD% of his career, lowest yds/game of career and highest INT% of career. I think Miami may take this one. The addition of Ramsay on defense will be huge, and now he has a game under his belt so some of the rust has been shaken off.

I like the Bills, but I am afraid Cinci is about to turn beast mode. last week is the first game this season that Joe cool has looked himself. I think the Calf injury is healed. I dont know exactly what "it" is, but Burrow has "it"

I think the eagles will beat Dallas.

oh yeah, and the Patriots will lose

• Options

Some people just arent built to be the top dog in whatever situation. I think JM may be one of those people. fired quickly from denver and now LV. I think he is a very good OC though. there is no shame in that. He sure is making more money than i am!

• Options
    edited November 1, 2023 3:29PM

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

I cant wait to see all those games. I think Mahomes has seemed off so far this season. lowest TD% of his career, lowest yds/game of career and highest INT% of career. I think Miami may take this one. The addition of Ramsay on defense will be huge, and now he has a game under his belt so some of the rust has been shaken off.

I like the Bills, but I am afraid Cinci is about to turn beast mode. last week is the first game this season that Joe cool has looked himself. I think the Calf injury is healed. I dont know exactly what "it" is, but Burrow has "it"

I think the eagles will beat Dallas.

oh yeah, and the Patriots will lose

I hope you’re right about Buffalo but I don’t think they will hang with Cincinnati unless Josh Allen goes off. Buffalo struggled against them in the playoffs and now they are missing Milano ( top 3 linebacker in the league) White ( top 5 CB ) and their main run clogger in the middle Jones. With White playing man to man the Bills could cut the field in half. No longer. Burrow and his elite 3 will carve up a zone. The Bills one hope is if Miller, Rousseau and Floyd can hound Burrow they have a shot.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Lions won the game last night, but the flaws are things they can’t do if they are going to make it to the next level. Failing to finish drives and only getting field goals and fumbling inside the 5 yard line were the most obvious. You can’t do that when you are up against the best teams.

In Detroit's defense, the fumble on the 5 wasn't a fumble.

Lots of mistakes but still put up almost 500yds while allowing 157. They had a 71.4% QB pressure rate, the highest in the NFL in 5 years.

Lions fans are excited but realistic. We recognize the flaws and mistakes but also see the team winning and that's exciting.

Detroit is for real - 14-4 in their last 18 games.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@BillJones said:

Lots of mistakes but still put up almost 500yds while allowing 157. They had a 71.4% QB pressure rate, the highest in the NFL in 5 years.

Lions fans are excited but realistic. We recognize the flaws and mistakes but also see the team winning and that's exciting.

They are for real but playing a 3rd place schedule help even things out for the NFL.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

On one of the pre/post game shows last week it was noted scoring is down in the NFL this season. Anyone have any concrete evidence of this?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Tabe said:

@BillJones said:

From a betting standpoint I always get leery betting a team such as the Lions or any team with a win ratio of 14-4 or higher thinking the law of averages may catch up with them.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Tabe said:

@BillJones said:

There is something to be said for the effect a team's culture has on performance. Culture is a subjective discussion. However, generally speaking, the Lions have had an unsuccessful culture. It becomes rampant.

but it can be reversed. As an outsider looking in, I feel as though the HC has played a huge role.

Things can start spiraling in the opposite direction, in a good way, and it looks as though this has happened for the Lions.

I agree that they are for real.

What @2dueces said about the scheduling is a pertinent point, but is also part of the bigger equation. Changing culture into a winning one means the team must take advantage of opportunities given.

• Options
    edited November 2, 2023 11:00AM

if i hadn't watched the Lions game against the Ravens, i would easily place Detroit in the teams-you-want-no-part-of-come-playoffs-time category. in fact they were already there..............until i ogled that game. it was the most profound ass-kicking i had seen in a sizable number of years. in the middle of the second quarter the score was 28-0 and Baltimore had outgained Detroit 345 to 18. i kid you not, every......single......snap resulted in something positive for the Ravens. and vice versa for the Lions. i had a very hard time processing what i was watching.

perhaps that's a one-off and the Lions learned from it. but when you watch a team get bludgeoned that severely it's very difficult to trust them all the way to the Super Bowl.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, good teams have bad games on occasion. Detroit beat KC in Arrowhead.

I don't really consider Detroit to be a serious contender. I'm just happy to see them winning.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, That Pittsburgh QB Pickett is hard to watch!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Tomlin: "man Pickett sucks."

• Options

Another 4th quarter win for the Steelers. But Titans made it interesting at the end.

• Options

I am getting pretty pumped for the KC/Mia game. I hope its a shootout!!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Tomlin: "man i love Pickett. reminds me a lot of Bradshaw."

Only the comic Terry Bradshaw who appeared in the movies.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@craig44 said:

Since I don’t care for either one of them, I’ll have a hard time picking for whom to root.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

Since I don’t care for either one of them, I’ll have a hard time picking for whom to root.

I dont really have a rooting interest, just hoping for a great game!

• Options

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

Sometimes that's some of the most relaxing fun you can have watching sports.

• Options

Here we go again: QB Deshaun Watson to start Sunday vs. Arizona Cardinals.

• Options

@craig44 said:

As am I. First leg of my over parlay. That's one thing I like about betting the over. Don't care who wins, just score them points.