Home Sports Talk

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2023 2:52PM

Ahh the beauty of the NFL for 15 hours on a Sunday. Kansas City vs Miami starts it and Bills vs Bengals ends it. 4 of the best AFC teams playing bookends. And no I’m not leaving out Jacksonville or Baltimore as elite AFC teams.
    That begs the question. Is the AFC deeper against this year than the NFC?
    Miami 6-2.
    Kansas City 6-2.
    Baltimore 6-2.
    Jacksonville 6-2.
    Buffalo 5-3
    Pittsburgh 5-3
    Cincinnati 4-3

Eagles 7-1
    Lions. 6-2
    Cowboys 5- 2
    49ers. 5-3

Weakest division NFC South

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFC is deeper. Tides gave turned.

21-0 at halftime. I’m beginning to believe Miami and Dallas have a lot in common. The 3 teams with winning records have not only beaten but beaten them decisively. (If this score holds up)
    In the Cowboys-Eagles post I mentioned signature wins. Neither team has one so far.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez, KC up 21-0 at halftime. Thought Miami would have at least made it close.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 10:54AM

is it just me or does Tua look like he has the arm of a 5th grader on many of his throws

no zip, just floating in the air waiting to be picked

btw he missed easy touchdowns on 3rd and 4th down on the final drive. Wilson was wide open and he threw it about half as far as he needed to, and someone (i think it was Tyreek) was breaking free on a post when he was back there fumbling the snap

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

And the browns finally looked good today playing a bad team.

What a game for Stroud today - 470 yards passing with 5 TD's.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 5:22AM

The Tampa season is over. The defense thinks they are playing flag football. They let Houston score from 76 yards out with 46 seconds to play. The defense stunk for the entire second half. I feel like @doubledragon feels toward his home team. The Bucks are back to the perpetual loser category like they were before the Brady era.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@Steven59 said:

Record yardage for a rookie eclipsing Andrew Luck.
    So did the Panthers whiff on the Young or is it too early to tell?

W.C.Fields
    edited November 5, 2023 3:02PM

@2dueces said:
    21-0 at halftime. I’m beginning to believe Miami and Dallas have a lot in common. The 3 teams with winning records have not only beaten but beaten them decisively. (If this score holds up)
    In the Cowboys-Eagles post I mentioned signature wins. Neither team has one so far.

I can’t remember the number it I think it’s 6?? Losses in a row against teams with winning records.

W.C.Fields

@galaxy27 said:
    is it just me or does Tua look like he has the arm of a 5th grader on many of his throws

btw he missed easy touchdowns on 3rd and 4th down on the final drive. Wilson was wide open and he threw it about half as far as he needed to, and someone (i think it was Tyreek) was breaking free on a post when he was back there fumbling the snap

Tua is a rhythm QB. Get him out of his comfort zone and he struggles. There’s no way he’s firing a ball into tight windows between two defenders ala Josh Allen.

W.C.Fields

Burrow sure looks to be "on" tonight!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Steven59 said:

It sure looks that way now, but it is really early. remember, Mac looked better than trevor lawrence their rookie seasons.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@galaxy27 said:

an Elway arm he definitely does not have

Wow. How do you miss that tripping when everyone is looking at it? He’s got the ball? Bills took it up the yaya at the end of the half

W.C.Fields
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Steven59 said:

They didnt whiff, but did set him up to fail especially starting him immediately. The Texans spot was going to be the better chance at success. Carolina traded away all their weapons and even gave up their best WR in the trade with the Bears and their WR core wasnt very good to begin with.

The Texans do have some weapons and a good OC that builds around what a QB does best as opposed to telling a QB this is what I want you to do.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

And that should do it! Buffalo handed another loss.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Stroud would've stayed for his senior year, the Buckeyes would've been unbeatable this year.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Cincinnati- the new "Team to beat" in the NFL?

@Steven59 said:

They are certainly heating up. But I still see this year as having a lot of parity at the top. And I am not ruling out the Bills. Bills and Chiefs. And there are more.

Next week 49ers play Jaguars. Can the 49ers reestablish themselves? Jaguars appear for real.

This year is up in the air.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 5:40AM

@Steven59 said:

For now, don't you worry though another team will come along and be the new team to beat.

Cincy has plenty of time to go on another sky is falling losing streak

@Basebal21 said:

@2dueces said:

@Steven59 said:

They didnt whiff, but did set him up to fail especially starting him immediately. The Texans spot was going to be the better chance at success. Carolina traded away all their weapons and even gave up their best WR in the trade with the Bears and their WR core wasnt very good to begin with.

The Texans do have some weapons and a good OC that builds around what a QB does best as opposed to telling a QB this is what I want you to do.

But Ofcourse head to head and Bryce Young beats Stroud last week.

Only because I did the sensible thing and take Houston in that game, my mistake for thinking logically

edited November 6, 2023 6:46AM

I told everyone that Buffalos season ended in London. They are now playing players that were on their couch 3 days ago. Benford and Bernard both went down in the loss last night. This is the 2nd season in a row 5 or more starters on defense are lost. Instead of me talking about Baltimore conditioning program I should question Buffalos defensive conditioning program

W.C.Fields

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@2dueces said:

@Steven59 said:

But Ofcourse head to head and Bryce Young beats Stroud last week.

Only because I did the sensible thing and take Houston in that game, my mistake for thinking logically

Vegas wouldnt have all those fancy lights if logic always won bets lol. I would have bet Houston was going to win that game too

The one thing Carolina does have going for them is they dont really have any incentive to tank. The Bears have their first round pick.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

not to pile on Dak again this morning, but if we're going to be fair and balanced around here, then we need to come at these guys from all angles.

everyone saw what happened yesterday. when the Cowboys were knocking on the door i thought to myself, "i have my doubts, but here's yet another chance for him to alter the narrative." then right on cue, it turned into the Benny Hill show

now take a look at this schedule and tell me what outcome is unlike all others

and then we narrow the scope to zero in on the quarterback play for said outlier

i'm sure everyone (especially Cowboys faithful) is trying to forget about week 3. but as the season progresses, that loss is going to look worse and worse. losing to Arizona and getting outplayed by Dobbs is the epitome of embarrassment.

and because of that game and what happened yesterday, Dallas is now the 6th seed in the NFC. good luck with that. it's gonna be make the playoffs, get bounced, talk a big game in the offseason, Dak the poser is behind center again, the delusional owner spews nonsense all over the place, rinse and repeat for the Dallas Cowboys. every. single. year.

@galaxy27 said:
    not to pile on Dak again this morning, but if we're going to be fair and balanced around here, then we need to come at these guys from all angles.

everyone saw what happened yesterday. when the Cowboys were knocking on the door i thought to myself, "i have my doubts, but here's yet another chance for him to alter the narrative." then right on cue, it turned into the Benny Hill show

now take a look at this schedule and tell me what outcome is unlike all others

and then we narrow the scope to zero in on the quarterback play for said outlier

i'm sure everyone (especially Cowboys faithful) is trying to forget about week 3. but as the season progresses, that loss is going to look worse and worse. losing to Arizona and getting outplayed by Dobbs is the epitome of embarrassment.

and because of that game and what happened yesterday, Dallas is now the 6th seed in the NFC. good luck with that. it's gonna be make the playoffs, get bounced, talk a big game in the offseason, Dak the poser is behind center again, the delusional owner spews nonsense all over the place, rinse and repeat for the Dallas Cowboys. every. single. year.

Facts

I had to be out and about this morning and afternoon, in the car, so I listened to Dallas spots radio.

I definitely heard about the Cardinals loss, as mentioned above.

I heard plenty of Dac criticism.

But I also heard, from multiple shows and stations, what appeared to be an intentional effort to generally say ..." Dak, as usual, was great except in the most important moments. But let's not pretend that he is a HOF QB. We know what we are dealing with. And the right tackle needs to really be criticized, and McCarthy too, and Jerry Jones, etc".

Lol.

Tyler Murray expected to start week 10.

W.C.Fields

Not that it matters for the Giants..................

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    ·
    Follow

Giants QB Daniel Jones is, in fact, out for the season with a torn ACL, coach Brian Daboll said following today’s MRI. He’ll undergo surgery with the plan of being ready for the 2024 season.

I guess the Jets felt uncomfortable being all alone in second place. So time to sleepwalk through the game tonight to get back to the more familiar 3rd place in thier division.

Why on earth did the Jets pay Dalvin Cook if they didn't plan on using him?

Has anyone looked at his stat line? Literally it looks like they really don't even try to use him.

Lev Bell part 2 I guess

@Steven59 said:
    Not that it matters for the Giants..................

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    ·
    Follow

Giants QB Daniel Jones is, in fact, out for the season with a torn ACL, coach Brian Daboll said following today’s MRI. He’ll undergo surgery with the plan of being ready for the 2024 season.

The money they are paying him vs his production disparity is gross

Is there like a Bosa playing for every team in the NFL or does it just seem that way :D

@2dueces said:

If he is returning, that is interesting. In the sense that, theoretically, it will make them a better team, and as of now they have the number one pick.

@2dueces said:

If he is returning, that is interesting. In the sense that, theoretically, it will make them a better team, and as of now they have the number one pick.

@perkdog said:

Has anyone looked at his stat line? Literally it looks like they really don't even try to use him.

Lev Bell part 2 I guess

I cannot understand it either. really strange.

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

they want to see what they have moving forward. if he plays well, they might alter their draft strategy. if he doesn't, hello new QB.

personally, i'd be a bit surprised if he excelled. especially right off the bat. coming off a torn ACL, a brand new system, and the surrounding cupboard is so bare that mice don't even think about trying to get in. last week they were missing 2 starters on the o-line, both running backs and a starting receiver. i hate to even type this, but i just hope he doesn't immediately get hurt again.

but anything is better than what they've generated from the QB position to this point. guess how many total yards they racked up on offense against the Browns last week?

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Lev Bell part 2 I guess

Maybe they are keeping him fresh for when Rodgers returns? 😜

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

Lev Bell part 2 I guess

Maybe they are keeping him fresh for when Rodgers returns? 😜

I know, right? I just started a new thread on Mr. Rodgers

Who actually thought Carolina Panthers vs Chicago Bears on tonight's TNF would be a meaningful game when they were making out the NFL schedule for this year? :D

Nice Chicago uniforms though - except I keep thinking I'm watching the Bengals.

I just turned it on. Bears just scored, up 16-10. 3rd qtr

@thisistheshow said:
    " I just turned it on."

You didn't miss much.........

My interest in this game is two-fold. I picked the Panthers in the picks contest. It felt like a reach, but I am definitely feeling the pressure. Also, as a Patriots fan, I am interested in how the draft unfolds. I would also like Fields to come back and play well enough that the Bears decide to stick with him, theoretically leaving a QB on the board for the Pats. But who knows how I will feel at the end of the season.

That was fun

@thisistheshow said:
    My interest in this game is two-fold. I picked the Panthers in the picks contest. It felt like a reach, but I am definitely feeling the pressure. Also, as a Patriots fan, I am interested in how the draft unfolds. I would also like Fields to come back and play well enough that the Bears decide to stick with him, theoretically leaving a QB on the board for the Pats. But who knows how I will feel at the end of the season.

If the Bears decide to stick with Fields they would likely trade one of their two top picks to someone that wants a QB. Cards and Giants currently pick ahead of the Pats as well and given the money they spent on their QBs they could easily trade down as well. It would be shocking to see no QB taken in the top 4 in what is a loaded QB draft

Missouri 14 OSU 3

OH, it's gonna be a long day for the Browns in Baltimore this afternoon. 14-0 Ravens in the first quarter..........

edited November 12, 2023 7:53PM

Who How the hell did that happen? Browns 33-31 win over the Ravens!

is a fully healthy San Fransisco the best team in the NFL? they just dominated possibly the hottest team in the NFL