Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seriously need to get nfl game day back because I’m almost certain cbs is going to give me bears-broncos instead of dolphins-bills next sunday. 😖

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most surprising team? Gotta be Arizona. I know they beat the Cowboys but they’ve been in and ahead of every game so far. This is with a QB that joined a week before the regular season. Tank mode? No one told the players.
    Chicago Bears. I know they did play the Chiefs but what a train wreck that franchise is. They’ve evaluated QB’s like my 18 year old self evaluated women at closing time.
    Denver Broncos. Did I call the Bears a train wreck? At least they didn’t give up their next 5 years of #1’s for a QB and coach. Ok it’s not that bad. Wait, Miami scored again in front of the Broncos hotel.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    How bout dem Bears!

I used to think of them as a competitive team with a good defense. Now they look like something that was assembled at “Build a Bear” with stuffing leaking out of the feet. This team looks like the old lions with no Mathew Stafford.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Darin said:
    Meanwhile…………
    Broncos management is in a closed door session discussing whether they should offer last year’s head coach his job back.
    The consensus seems to be that yes, he sucked but at least his team never got 70 hung on them.
    Then they gave an atomic wedgie to the exec who recommended bringing in Sean Payton and dared him to go slap Payton on the face or he was fired.
    Yes they seem to have kind of a childish approach to running an nfl team and it is turning into a problem. 😮

Miami reminds me of the Cowboys when they first became good in the 1960s. “Hanging 70” on a team might make headlines, but it puts a mark on you back. Sometimes running up the score is not a good idea.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

" This team looks like the old lions with no Mathew Stafford. "

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Well, I would say that Travis Kelce has had a lot of big catches in his career. This would be the biggest," Belichick said after hearing about Taylor Swift watching the game with the Kelce family in a suite at Arrowhead.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

"Well, I would say that Travis Kelce has had a lot of big catches in his career. This would be the biggest," Belichick said after hearing about Taylor Swift watching the game with the Kelce family in a suite at Arrowhead.

Andy Reid when questioned about those two.................."I set them up."

i'm really starting to love me some AR. not only that quote, but he's gold in the state farm commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-b1EvWi9b4

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

i'm really starting to love me some AR. not only that quote, but he's gold in the state farm commercials

I've been a fan of AR for awhile now since he & Donovan McNabb were a tandem in Philly.

Ironically with all of the talk in the Bill Belichick - Greatest Coach Ever? thread and how most if not all of the best head coaches had a great QB by his side, Andy's reputation changed greatly once Mahomes got to KC.

For the longest time in Philly w/McNabb then KC w/Alex Smith, Andy Reid was considered a solid head coach but had a history of horrible clock management late in big games which cost him throughout the years. Then once Pat Mahomes comes to town Andy's clout has only grown since winning 2 SBs.
    it just goes to show that, takeaway that great QB that each of the greatest HC's had playing for them and many of those same coaches might not even be in the GOAT convo.

Its a shame that Reid & McNabb never won one while in Philly even though they went to four straight NFCCG. The Eagles were my NFC team at the time and I even predicted that NE & Philly would meet up in the '05 SB, unfortunately I didn't have any money on it.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2023 11:55AM

@erikthredd 100%

i've never disputed that Belichick is a great coach, because he is. but i personally can't handle it when people intimate that it's coaches > players, or even coaches = players, because that's simply not true if you know anything about sports. in fact, not only is it players > coaches, it's players >>>>> coaches.

since i'm talking to you, let's segue to hoops for a moment. gee, why does the notes column in 93-94 & 94-95 look so different from the others? oh that's right, because there was no Jordan in 93-94 and the greater part of 94-95. so what, you couldn't zen master your way to two titles without an MJ, Kobe Bean or Shaq Fu on your roster? of course you couldn't, Phil.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

I've been a fan of AR for awhile now since he & Donovan McNabb were a tandem in Philly.

Ironically with all of the talk in the Bill Belichick - Greatest Coach Ever? thread and how most if not all of the best head coaches had a great QB by his side, Andy's reputation changed greatly once Mahomes got to KC.

For the longest time in Philly w/McNabb then KC w/Alex Smith, Andy Reid was considered a solid head coach but had a history of horrible clock management late in big games which cost him throughout the years. Then once Pat Mahomes comes to town Andy's clout has only grown since winning 2 SBs.
    it just goes to show that, takeaway that great QB that each of the greatest HC's had playing for them and many of those same coaches might not even be in the GOAT convo.

Its a shame that Reid & McNabb never won one while in Philly even though they went to four straight NFCCG. The Eagles were my NFC team at the time and I even predicted that NE & Philly would meet up in the '05 SB, unfortunately I didn't have any money on it.

Nice write up. Yes AR has done more with more teams, different QB’s than BB. Shows his greatness

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd 100%

i've never disputed that Belichick is a great coach, because he is. but i personally can't handle it when people intimate that it's coaches > players, or even coaches = players, because that's simply not true if you know anything about sports. in fact, not only is it players > coaches, it's players >>>>> coaches.

since i'm talking to you, let's segue to hoops for a moment. gee, why does the notes column in 93-94 & 94-95 look so different from the others? oh that's right, because there was no Jordan in 93-94 and the greater part of 94-95. so what, you couldn't zen master your way to two titles without an MJ, Kobe Bean or Shaq Fu on your roster? of course you couldn't, Phil.

Ha! Phil Jackson is no Red Auerbach. 😉 I remember arguing with Lakers fans back when ESPN let you comment there that Phil Jackson wasn't even on the same planet as Red Auerbach. Red coached Boston to a ton of titles and also was the guy that traded for Russell,drafted Bird a year early and fleeced to the Warriors in a trade for Mchale & Parish not to mention all of the other HOFers he drafted. Phil was a frontrunner HC who made the Knicks even worse running the organization.

I totally get your point on Belichick. There were a few of us Pats fans that for years here argued Brady deserved the lion share of the credit which didn't go over well here when many thought it was Belichick. Like many other great HC/QB combos their ultimate success doesn't happen with one without the other.

I've always tried to make the point that in Belichick's case, there's the GM then there's the HC. Obviously the same guy but imho he's a significantly better coach than he is a GM and many of his personnel decisions over the years have hampered his decision making as a HC. It was also a huge bonus to have that #12 who could make up for many of the GM/HC mistakes.

Since I started following football in the mid to late 80's , imo the two best NFL head coaches have been Bill Belichick & Bill Walsh. i think BB has had the better overall run as HC but Walsh did win 5 SBs to BB's 6 but he did it with two different (HOF) QBs. If I had to choose one it would be Belichick and thats because I've watching him coach for 20+ years now and not every great coaching decision happens on gameday. I've watched Billy B implement so many great gameplans where his team took away the best that the opposing team had to offer on both sides of the ball.

Between all of the games,the post/pre game interviews and all of the Pats related shows aired up here where so many players,former& current, have talked about that Bill would tell them to do X,Y &Z and they'd be in the best position to win and its happened. Brady's heroics usually overshadowed everyone else but BB has been almost as pivotal as Tom over the years that Bill usually doesn't get the credit he deserves. if you're not soaking up all of this other Pats related daily info like many Pats fans have its easy to just think its been all Brady.

IMHO this Greatest Ever talk is all subjective at best and in BB's case if someone wants to say he's the GOAT coach he needs to show that he can have success without Brady like Tom did himself. BB hasn't come close to doing that yet and at his age who knows if he even comes close.

• Options

Desmond Ritter is the next to be sh$t canned. He’s not an NFL QB. No if ands or buts.
    That whole division is a mess. Carolina is well Carolina. New Orleans is just plan bad and time will tell if Baker mayfield is the long term answer in Tampa.
    But Atlanta has all the tools to run away with this division THIS year except at QB. Shame because I like Arthur Smith.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2023 12:31PM

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

Nice write up. Yes AR has done more with more teams, different QB’s than BB. Shows his greatness

Actually you missed out on my point entirely. yes Andy has had some great Qbs/very good teams over the years but he was the scapegoat for most of their big losses in the playoffs with his clock management or lack there if. That all changed when Mahomes came to town and Andy's narrative changed.

Yes AR has done more with more teams

Cmon this comment is a joke,right? More teams? Sure. Done more? not even close. Andy Reid not getting the job done with multiple other QBs before Mahomes is not a positive here.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

Actually you missed out on my point entirely. yes Andy has had some great Qbs/very good teams over the years but he was the scapegoat for most of their big losses in the playoffs with his clock management or lack there if. That all changed when Mahomes came to town and Andy's narrative changed.

Cmon this comment is a joke,right? More teams? Sure. Done more? not even close. Andy Reid not getting the job done with multiple other QBs before Mahomes is not a positive here.

Sorry. I should have put the sarcasm emoji. I thought you’d know. 😳

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

Sorry. I should have put the sarcasm emoji. I thought you’d know. 😳

😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

and in BB's case if someone wants to say he's the GOAT coach he needs to show that he can have success without Brady like Tom did himself. BB hasn't come close to doing that yet and at his age who knows if he even comes close.

this is it right here. this has been my contention all along, and it'll continue to be until he makes waves without him.

• Options

Let's try this for the third time lol. Damn edit button!

The thing is though,go pick any other name from that great HC list in the other thread and they all have warts. Many of those same HC's never won again without that great QB that helped put them on the list in the first place.

I think in Bill's case time isn't on his side, he's already 71 and has previously stated that he doesn't want to be coaching into his '70s. We all know that he's the Pats HC until he passes Shula's win record,likely in 2025. At that point he'd have the most regular season wins, most playoffs wins and most SBs won. (Assuming nothing happens to him healthwise before then. I doubt Kraft fires him before he gets that record.)

If BB ends up with those three accomplishments I think it would be hard to make a case against him. Obviously another SB win would change all of that but I don't see that happening anytime soon. that's not a knock on Mac as QB here, I just think Bill's way of building a roster is starting to get outdated. He won't really invest at the Skill positions on offense and he doesn't have a Dante Scarnecchia turning a bunch of no name Olinemen into a brick wall.

Regardless how Belichick's run in NE ends, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Us Pats fans have been spoiled rotten for years now,its honestly a shame that every fanbase can't see one of their favortie pro sports teams have the same type of success.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@Basebal21 said:

@Darin said:
    I just noticed Stephen a. Smith is saying the chargers should fire Brandon Staley. Geez Stephen what took you so long I was saying that 2 years ago. I pointed out in the past the terrible decisions he made that cost his team wins.
    That being said the chargers-Vikings game is a must win for the chargers.
    If they lose they drop to 0-3 and two of their next three games are against Dallas and kc so they could easily be 1-5 after 6 games and would take a huge turnaround to make the playoffs.
    So go Vikings and Brandon you just keep being you so the Chiefs don’t have to worry about your team.

Steven A also said Othani > @Darin said:

Jimmy Johnson agrees with me, Brandon Staley is as dumb as a box of rocks.
    Stupid Staley is up 4 points, less than two minutes to play, he has fourth and 1 at his own 24 yard line, goes for it and doesn’t make it.
    Kind of good for chiefs fans like me that the Vikings couldn’t convert so maybe Stupid Staley keeps his job instead of being fired on the spot.
    Johnson and Strahan blasted him for the decision to go for it.

He may not be the best coach and Chargers coaches have been on the hot seat for like 20 years now, but if you cant get 1 yard you really dont deserve to win even though they did. 4th and 1 should be an automatic go for it every time which the charts say to do even if it is aggressive that far back

Wrong!
    The vikes were out of timeouts, needed a TD to win and under 2 minutes. You punt and trust your defense.
    Now I know you never think you’re wrong but trust me on this one. If not me then trust jimmy johnson who has won more Super Bowls than you. He said it was really dumb.

Johnson hasnt coached since 1999 and the game has dramatically changed since then.

The Chargers have a lot of hurt stars and lost Williams for the year with a torn ACL during the game. Bosa among others was also on a snap count with an injured hamstring. Its much easier to get 1 yard than it is to punt and try and stop the best WR on the planet hoping time runs out.

The cards all say to go for it on 4th and 1. 1 yard should basically be automatic. Staley isnt the greatest coach ever but that organization has spent the last 20 years losing games playing to not lose running the time out instead of playing to win. Going for it was playing to win, something they desperately need to be doing even if the field positioning was aggressive.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2023 2:13PM

i have no problem with what Staley did. as basebal stated, there's a ginormous difference between playing to win and playing not to lose, and i personally have mad respect for any head coach who opts for the former.

the only thing i had a problem with was his play call. if i have said this once i had said it 500 times -- the QB sneak is virtually automatic. i invite anyone to find one solitary time when a team got stuffed in the past handful of years. seriously, go for it. and if you are fortunate enough to find one, i'll then show you 200 times in which it was successful. IT CAN'T BE STOPPED.

but you know what can be stopped? getting cute and handing the ball off to the fullback, thereby granted the Vikings an extra split-second to penetrate the line of scrimmage. and that's exactly what happened.

Staley knows his defense sucks. Minnesota had no problems moving the ball up and down the field on them the entire game. so what would you rather do, molest your lucky rabbit's foot and hope that your sieve of a D can hold up, or get one damn yard with a play that's >99% effective and be done with it?

• Options

Chargers had 22 yards rushing and the player they gave it to was averaging 1 yards per carry. Herbert had 300+ yards passing. You take the ball out of his hands on the most crucial play of the game?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38496220/taylor-swift-effect-travis-kelce-jersey-sales-spike-nearly-400

So Taylor Swift fans have gone crazy buying up Travis Kelce jerseys, what I want to know is how many Kelce fans are buying Taylor Swift albums? 😎

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesnt find Taylor Swift to be all that attractive?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

i don't think she's UNattractive, but so many think she's a Greek goddess and i simply don't see it

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@craig44 said:

i don't think she's UNattractive, but so many think she's a Greek goddess and i simply don't see it

I totally get the whole "beauty is in the eye" thing, but when she smiles, she has such a pinched face. and super skinny. Like you said, she is not ugly, but Megan Fox she is not.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some poor matchups this week. Led by Denver/Chicago. Miami/Buffalo looks like the game of the week.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Just finished listening to the Kelce brothers interviewing Julian Edelman and these guys looked like they had a blast shooting the shiat.
    Interesting Edelman/Brady quote: Edelman tells Tom he's going to help him pass Montana when he only had the 3 rings, Brady says forget Montana I'm going after Jordan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6LGABJySE&list=TLPQMjIwOTIwMjO7sxxTtCREpw&index=10

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@craig44 said:

She’s actually very plain when she strips her makeup off. Not ugly but you probably wouldn’t look twice if you passed her on the street.
    And she has zero backside. I mean board straight. 😳

W.C.Fields
  • Options

She looks better at some angles and not a raving beauty at others. The old time actress, Jean Arthur, was said to have same issue.

The Hard Rock Hotel has a very lovely image of Taylor Swift on the wall in their lobby. She’s up there with John Lennon and Michael Jackson, both of whom have passed on. I’m so old and disinterested that I had to ask who the lady was.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭

Shes attractive, but theres far more attractive women out there. This is going to be bad news for Kelce if this doesnt last for a while or end up in marriage. She has a huge amount of fans that are insane and act like shes the second coming of Jesus. Theyre already heavily commenting on social posts of the other players wives about how Taylor is better or asking about Taylor etc.

• Options

Interesting stat.
    Speaking of JC Jackson’s huge contract and BB refusing to pay. Healthy scratch after signing a mega contract

Buffalo refuses to pay Edmonds $72M @$18M a year. Incredible athlete with absolutely zero football instincts. Always in the wrong hole, made the majority of his tackles 10 years down field. Drafted to cover big tight ends with Gronk in mind. Buffalo dead last against TE’s.
    In his last 45 games with Buffalo
    2 sacks, 1 interception 1 fumble recovery

Terrel Bernard Sunday vs Washington
    2 sacks, 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    She looks better at some angles and not a raving beauty at others. The old time actress, Jean Arthur, was said to have same issue.

The Hard Rock Hotel has a very lovely image of Taylor Swift on the wall in their lobby. She’s up there with John Lennon and Michael Jackson, both of whom have passed on. I’m so old and disinterested that I had to ask who the lady was.

Why do I have to be old enough to know who Jean Arthur is?
    Wife from ‘Shane’ one of the best westerns of all time.
    And I know zero Taylor swift songs and glad to keep it that way.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Jean Simmons and Elizabeth Taylor.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Interesting stat.
    Speaking of JC Jackson’s huge contract and BB refusing to pay. Healthy scratch after signing a mega contract

Buffalo refuses to pay Edmonds $72M @$18M a year. Incredible athlete with absolutely zero football instincts. Always in the wrong hole, made the majority of his tackles 10 years down field. Drafted to cover big tight ends with Gronk in mind. Buffalo dead last against TE’s.

JC Jackson is one player from a long list of former NE players that looked great in BB's system,got paid in free agency and then looked nothing like he did when he was a Patriot.

Saw what you will on where Belichick ranks all time vs other great HC's but his best attribute as a coach has always been finding certain players that fit well on his defense.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:
    Interesting stat.

JC Jackson is one player from a long list of former NE players that looked great in BB's system,got paid in free agency and then looked nothing like he did when he was a Patriot.

Saw what you will on where Belichick ranks all time vs other great HC's but his best attribute as a coach has always been finding certain players that fit well on his defense.

My point was he looks like a genius not paying him. Beane looks like genius not paying Edmonds. Chicago already has seen the flaws after just 3 games

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:
    Interesting stat.

My point was he looks like a genius not paying him. Beane looks like genius not paying Edmonds. Chicago already has seen the flaws after just 3 games

You can't call Bill Belichick a genius or there will be another thread of endless back & forth hot takes. 😉

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:
    Interesting stat.

You can't call Bill Belichick a genius or there will be another thread of endless back & forth hot takes. 😉

That gives me an idea...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:
    Interesting stat.

That gives me an idea...

I'm all for it if it leads to more whining about Pats fans. 😎👍

• Options

it's emBEARassing being a Chicago fan, but at least one of our former ball boys didn't come back and drop 70 on us

😂

• Options

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

And Erik Bienemy's stock magically goes down when he leaves KC which I knew would happen

• Options

@2dueces said:

pretty plain without the war paint.

• Options

@darin mentioned recently about wondering which game would be on for him locally. This is a good site. I think it's updated on Tuesdays, but I don't remember exactly.

https://506sports.com/

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @darin mentioned recently about wondering which game would be on for him locally. This is a good site. I think it's updated on Tuesdays, but I don't remember exactly.

https://506sports.com/

Showtime I got lucky, I checked and they will be showing bills- dolphins in my area. Pleasant surprise 😁😁
    Really looking forward to it!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Showtime that’s a great site. I was worried because in Kansas there are a lot of bronco fans especially western Kansas. So they usually show Denver’s games here. 😤

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    Showtime that’s a great site. I was worried because in Kansas there are a lot of bronco fans especially western Kansas. So they usually show Denver’s games here. 😤

It is a great site! Glad you liked it, should have shared it before ...

• Options

So it’s our anniversary today. Took off work the rest of the week. Gonna spend a quiet weekend in Hot Springs. Casino, museums and of course the mandatory spa. Hot Springs, massage and mud facial. I’ll stay up to see the whole game tonight but haven’t a clue who to bet on. Who’s everyone taking?
    Detroit-2.5 O/U 44.5

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces

happy anniversary!

• Options

The Lions need to win tonight in order to establish that they are solidified and on the rise. They know this. I expect them to handle it. 🤷

• Options
    edited September 28, 2023 6:11PM

both of these teams are 2-1, but that's where the comparisons end

the Lions are light years better than the Packers

they may win 70-20