Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:
    I’m expecting 9 wins from Pittsburgh this year. Pretty sure we don’t have enough weapons to get a ring but trust our coach will get the best out of the team.
    Good luck to the rest of you !

In my Swami thread:
    Very impressive with Pittsburgh this preseason. Yes I know, preseason but their O/U is 8.5 and outside the division playing a fairly weak schedule. I’ll take a shot
    Pittsburgh over 8.5 for 100

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@4for4 said:
    I’m expecting 9 wins from Pittsburgh this year. Pretty sure we don’t have enough weapons to get a ring but trust our coach will get the best out of the team.
    Good luck to the rest of you !

In my Swami thread:
    Very impressive with Pittsburgh this preseason. Yes I know, preseason but their O/U is 8.5 and outside the division playing a fairly weak schedule. I’ll take a shot
    Pittsburgh over 8.5 for 100

The 1979-80 Super Bowl championship Steelers had the toughest regular season SOS in Super Bowl history.
    Won all three playoff games by double digits also.
    Those were special years, but they don’t come often!

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking about Pittsburgh - they look like crap all of the first half then go right down the field and score a touchdown in the last minute. How does that happen? The amazing "Prevent Defense" again?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Well alright now - Browns win their first Home Opener since 2004.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor day on the bets, but at least the BBQ honey wings and fresh corn were excellent. Covered the over on the wings and corn.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Gonna be a long season for Jones and the Giants. He looked horrible tonight.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

It's said when it rains it pours. Not only the rain poured on the Giants the score was poured on as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nfl thoughts. First I’m not giving up on kadarius toney yet. Yes he pretty much single-handedly lost the game for kc, but he did miss the entire preseason with an injury. I’m more concerned about how injury prone he is than that he won’t be able to rebound from that dismal performance.
    I know the bills and jets haven’t played yet, but so far it looks like the Niners are the class of the nfl. They were scary good. I screwed up by putting just a small point spread wager on them at 2.5
    I recognized that the oddsmakers made a mistake giving too much credit to Tomlin and how good the Steelers offense looked in the preseason. Should have placed a lot bigger bet on the Niners.
    What is Minnesota’s problem? Is Tampa bay better than predicted? I thought the Vikings would win by at least 3 touchdowns. Since Justin Jefferson is being wasted there, can the chiefs just have him? I mean he’s never going to win meaningful games with them and a mahomes to Jefferson combination would be just like heaven.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Here’s some scenes from obviously not this year. Hopefully better days ahead.

That girl on the right cuts great hair too 😉

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Talking about Pittsburgh - they look like crap all of the first half then go right down the field and score a touchdown in the last minute. How does that happen? The amazing "Prevent Defense" again?

Talk about buying into the preseason hype
    This idiot 2dueces <———

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the comment on San Fran. Man, they look scary good. At least, right now.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I agree with the comment on San Fran. Man, they look scary good. At least, right now.

Running game killed us.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Could it be “SOG time” for Giants fans? “Same Old Giants” … Only perhaps worse. Getting blown out in the home opening against a major division rival is ultra embarrassing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

What do you guys think, Is Purdey the real deal?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I do think he is the real deal. His poise under pressure is impressive.
    I did see him get hit once yesterday where he didn’t see it coming so hopefully that won’t be a habit. That’s when qb’s get hurt. Need to have eyes in the back of your head

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

I did see him get hit once yesterday where he didn’t see it coming so hopefully that won’t be a habit. That’s when qb’s get hurt. Need to have eyes in the back of your head

I know I am rooting for him. to go from Mr. Irrelevant to starter in the NFL in one season is amazing.

Now that Tommy is retired, maybe he will be my new favorite active player. He was fun to watch yesterday.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 49ers can contend for the NFCCG/SB while paying 7th round salary for their QB that would be absolutely huge capwise when trying to build the team around him. After Brady led the Pats to a SB win in 2002 the team gave him a decent 4yr/29M extension on his 3yr/866K rookie deal, its going to be interesting to see what SF does with Purdy if he keeps winning games.

• Options

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

With some of those side hits QB's receive eyes on the sides of their head would be a plus.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 11:12AM

San Fran has an ELITE defense along with a Stud RB and great WR's

Purdy would have to try to fail in that situation, he is a great little field general but not in the Mahomes, Allen conversation

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 11:24AM

@perkdog said:

San Fran has an ELITE defense along with a Stud RB and great WR's

Purdy would have to try to fail in that situation, he is a great little field general but not in the Mahomes, Allen conversation

one thousand percent.

he has elite talent surrounding him everywhere he turns. the Niners don't need the second coming of Joe Montana or Steve Young; all they need is for him to make sound decisions and not muck things up.........which he has clearly proven he can do up to this point.

i watched all of SF-Pitt yesterday and barring injuries, the Niners will be very, very difficult to vanquish come playoffs time

• Options

J. K. Dobbins (Ravens RB) out for the year, starting to become injury prone with some serious ones over the past few years...............
    "In 2021, Dobbins suffered a torn ACL in the final game of the preseason, thus missing his second season in the NFL. In 2022, Dobbins suffered a knee injury on Oct. 22 and missed a total of 10 games. With the Achilles injury on Sunday, Dobbins will now miss the remaining 16 games of the Ravens' 2023 regular season."

• Options

"Cleveland Browns’ starting right tackle Jack Conklin is officially out for the season with a torn ACL and MCL."

Damn, but at least he is being replaced by that huge guy from Ohio State - "Dawand Jones stands 6-8 and carries a weight of 360 pounds, with a wingspan of 90 inches" (7 1/2 feet)

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    "Cleveland Browns’ starting right tackle Jack Conklin is officially out for the season with a torn ACL and MCL."

Damn, but at least he is being replaced by that huge guy from Ohio State - "Dawand Jones stands 6-8 and carries a weight of 360 pounds, with a wingspan of 90 inches" (7 1/2 feet)

Damn, I didn't know about this big fella wow

• Options

Rodgers made it through 4 plays, sack and out with an ankle injury. You could hear the air let out of the stadium all the way here in Texas.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Rodgers made it through 4 plays, sack and out with an ankle injury. You could hear the air let out of the stadium all the way here in Texas.

Do you still wince when Allen takes his aggressiveness a bit too far? I'm referring to his running style. Or is that just the way he is built?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Do you still wince when Allen takes his aggressiveness a bit too far? I'm referring to his running style. Or is that just the way he is built?

Every time!

W.C.Fields
  • Options

a few Friday morning eye-test takes after last night's game

1) yes, Philly is 2-0, but as of now they don't look like the 2022 Eagles. i know the makeup of the team is significantly different, so maybe it'll just take time for them to gel and fire on all cylinders like last year. or maybe they just aren't going to be as good. remains to be seen.

2) Minnesota would have emerged victorious if they weren't an undisciplined, combustible team. they didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they blew both feet off with 4 TOs that cost them enough points to win the game. i think they've turned the ball over 7 times in the first 2 games. perhaps they think they're impervious after winning about 8 games last season that they could have (and should have) easily lost. news flash....

3) the fumble-touchback has to be the absolute worst rule in the NFL and it needs to be changed. how exactly it needs to be tweaked, I'm not sure. but when a guy is about to score and loses the ball out of bounds through the end zone without the other team pouncing on it, to turn around and give possession to the opposing team just intuitively seems like the harshest, most nonsensical outcome. if you want to keep the touchback part of it, fine. but why does the other team get the ball? at no other part of the field does that happen.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2023 11:13AM

@galaxy27 said:
    a few Friday morning eye-test takes after last night's game

1) yes, Philly is 2-0, but as of now they don't look like the 2022 Eagles. i know the makeup of the team is significantly different, so maybe it'll just take time for them to gel and fire on all cylinders like last year. or maybe they just aren't going to be as good. remains to be seen.

2) Minnesota would have emerged victorious if they weren't an undisciplined, combustible team. they didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they blew both feet off with 4 TOs that cost them enough points to win the game. i think they've turned the ball over 7 times in the first 2 games. perhaps they think they're impervious after winning about 8 games last season that they could have (and should have) easily lost. news flash....

3) the fumble-touchback has to be the absolute worst rule in the NFL and it needs to be changed. how exactly it needs to be tweaked, I'm not sure. but when a guy is about to score and loses the ball out of bounds through the end zone without the other team pouncing on it, to turn around and give possession to the opposing team just intuitively seems like the harshest, most nonsensical outcome. if you want to keep the touchback part of it, fine. but why does the other team get the ball? at no other part of the field does that happen.

Nice write up!
    Everything bounced the Vikings way last season. Odds are catching up to them quickly.
    Only time will tell if a team can stop Phillys run game. I know holding can be called on every play but I saw a few blatant wrap around holds that were ignored. A few of those on first down and drives will come down to Hurts arm. Looks like there’s enough film to stop his run option as the Vikings shut him down in the first quarter

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Browns are going to be wearing their all white uniforms for their Monday night game against the Steelers.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Browns are going to be wearing their all white uniforms for their Monday night game against the Steelers.

What I'd like to see is the old school Orange pants with White jerseys.

But I do like the all white look

• Options

Mike Ditka hugging his favorite QB.
    His favorite QB’s twin Mark Messier below.

Oh yeah. SF is good.
    Steelers need a win Monday.
    Philly SF I can’t see who else.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2023 4:54AM

My jaw dropped watching the Miami Dolphin offense and the Dallas Cowboy defense. Would make an interesting Super Bowl matchup IMHO. I am a Washington Redskins fan, (yes I know about the dumb name change), and they suck. Of course you can't count out an Eagles vs Chiefs rematch in the next Super Bowl.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 5:10AM

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    My jaw dropped watching the Miami Dolphin offense and the Dallas Cowboy defense. Would make an interesting Super Bowl matchup IMHO. I am a Washington Redskins fan, (yes I know about the dumb name change), and they suck. Of course you can't count out an Eagles vs Chiefs rematch in the next Super Bowl.

I refer to them as the Redskins as well.

I know it was only week 1 and they didn't have Kelce but I think KC's lack of of quality WR's will bite them in the rear end like it did to my Patriots during Brady's last season in New England

Eagles maybe,I'm not quite sure about their D and I think the film on Hurts might be an issue going into this year IDK

• Options

I’m interested in the Ravens-Bengals game. Last time they met only a boneheaded play saved the Bengals but this time Jackson is behind center. Picked the Ravens in the pickem but don’t know Iif I’ve got the guts to put money on them.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

One more thought on the Ravens. Their injury report looks like an entire roster. Seems like every preseason and season they have major injury issues. Is it the training? What ever it is I’d suggest they throw their training regiment out the window and try something different because whatever they’re doing isn’t working

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    One more thought on the Ravens. Their injury report looks like an entire roster. Seems like every preseason and season they have major injury issues. Is it the training? What ever it is I’d suggest they throw their training regiment out the window and try something different because whatever they’re doing isn’t working

I haven't looked at it, but if you say it's excessive (the injuries) I believe you.

What you say about their training could be it. Plenty of times in the past a team has not had their athletic training on point and it hurts them. Either they are behind the curve or trying to many new things, etc. Sometimes dealing with the type of stretching they are doing.

• Options

If anybody is watching the Browns/Squeelers game Monday night the matchup is gonna be OT Dawand Jones blocking against T.J. Watt!
    Oh man, did the rookie have to "call out" the veteran?

"Jones was asked about the matchup this week, and while he did praise Watt, he mentioned one flaw the former Defensive Player of the Year has in his game.

"He kind of leaves his chest open a little bit during the pass game," Jones said. "Using that. There are other things to it. Making sure I get back. He’s a great player."

Jones stands 6'8" with 36.5-inch arms, and when it comes to beating Watt, he has to use every inch of his length. "

• Options

Dawand Jones:

• Options

Burrow - 35 yards passing in the first half!

• Options

Burrow - intercepted at the goal line on a terrible looking pass.

• Options

OBJ out with an ankle injury! Who saw that coming?

• Options

KC Jacksonville game is a lot closer than i thought.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    OBJ out with an ankle injury! Who saw that coming?

yeah, what a shock. guy is made of glass

• Options
    edited September 17, 2023 2:02PM

It's still shocking to me that Gino Smith is playing the way he is

• Options

It is shocking to me that Gino Smith is a starting QB in the NFL

• Options

right after the Bucs game I opened the window and stepped onto the ledge, then I heard a little voice say, "hey, the Giants," and all of a sudden I felt like living again

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    right after the Bucs game I opened the window and stepped onto the ledge, then I heard a little voice say, "hey, the Giants," and all of a sudden I felt like living again

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Options

Looks like Josh Allen is alright after all.
    31-37 274 3 and zero turnovers
    Jets just have his #

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy ending to the Washington vs Denver game, the Broncos caught the hail mary miracle but couldn't get the 2 point conversion to tie it, Washington wins 35-33.

• Options

right after the Bucs game I opened the window and stepped onto the ledge, then i heard a little voice say, "hey, the Arizona Broncos," and all of a sudden i felt like living again