Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Two Coin Reverse Proof Set Thread****

Comments

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@Extremeengineer said:

@Joe_360 said:
    So, I know that I'm alone on an island here and no one will be joining my fan club Let the hate mail begin...

No hate mail, just ironic you dislike them just enough… to buy them🤣

as stated:

• I wanted the 1st year of issue - it will be an item to own
    • I will leave for my kids
    • dislike was not a word that I used...

ironic that you missed all of that

Perhaps in time you’ll get used to Liberty’s look.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question...have there been any reports of special signed COAs this time around?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    For folks who received their coins, did they pay for expedited shipping or the free 5-7 day shipping. Still waiting for mine. Figured for $185 I took the free shipping.

Free shipping. All arrived, sort of. Missed UPS delivery that but they were here

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Question...have there been any reports of special signed COAs this time around?

I haven't read about any. I opened my two sets and nothing special for me.

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 1:39AM

Free shipping and received mine on Monday

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Extremeengineer said:

@Batman23 said:
    I just picked up my two sets from the PO. They made it here in record time. Nice looking sets. Since I'm keeping these in OGP it sure would have been nice to have a better looking box given the price.

Exactly, I’ve been saying that, but no one else agreed or said anything, guess the crappy cardboard box is just junk to the slabber crowd. I’d have liked a presentation like the ASE reverse proof set.

I don't slab mine but I also don't like the bulky presentation boxes the mint does. I'd rather just have the coins as the boxes are so bulky they really aren't used for presentation at home. Adds to the cost, takes up a lot of room (think of the 25th Annv SAE sets and their boxes), and is largely unnecessary. Now, if they had the boxes for sale, and people could add them themselves, without increasing the price for the coins, then that would be win-win imo.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing at 7:35

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Extremeengineer said:

@Joe_360 said:

@Extremeengineer said:

@Joe_360 said:
    So, I know that I'm alone on an island here and no one will be joining my fan club Let the hate mail begin...

as stated:

One and done unless next years mintage is 75k..

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

Is USM still an enrollment confirmation prefix, as opposed to USS for order confirmations?

USM is a standard order USS is a subscription

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

@MetroD said:

Is USM still an enrollment confirmation prefix, as opposed to USS for order confirmations?

USM is a standard order USS is a subscription

Thanks for the latest info. Like I said in my original query, it has been a while since I was exposed to these codes. Bluntly, I was not even positive the Mint was still using different prefixes to distinguish between standard orders and subscriptions.

Getting back to what prompted my post, @badhop55 indicated that he bought two sets of 23XS on 11/14/23. Based on your info, his USM confirmation number means that it was a real-time order, not a subscription. He went on to share that he "(g)ot (an) email saying they are processing", and that he expected a subsequent confirmation "in 24 hrs".

Are two e-confirmations now SOP for a standard order, or is something special going on with the remaining sets?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine and while I like the coins for the most part I just can't help but feel the engraving details are a little "soft" and not as sharp as I'd like. Just my opinion.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Joe_360 said:

@Extremeengineer said:

@Joe_360 said:

@Extremeengineer said:

@Joe_360 said:

as stated:

One and done unless next years mintage is 75k..

So you're only interested if you are unable to acquire one. [There's more than 75,000 active subscriptions.] That sums up the Mint's challenge with mintages: Mint enough so everyone can get one and people don't bother because they don't shoot up in value, limit the mintage so they hold or increase in value and people complain they can't get one.

BINGO!!! And, they just won't be doing that anymore. As they have shown by their willingness to sell .859 ounces of silver for $92.50, because that's what the market will bear.

If they did decide to limit the mintage to 75K, you'd be talking about a $400 coin. That they'd likely sell for around $400, not $50, as in the past, creating a frenzy and crashing the website.

And then people would be complaining about being gouged. Just face it, easy flips are over unless you're willing to consider 5-10% an easy, worthwhile flip. The Mint has finally gotten a clue, and is making a pretty successful effort to match mintage to demand, and to price at something approximating actual market value, rather than cost plus a predetermined margin.

• Options

I flipped 10 of my 15 sets pretty easily. I know people seem to want 50% margins, but I'm okay with 8-10% net.

• Options
    SuperRecordSuperRecord Posts: 6
    edited November 15, 2023 8:28PM

Yesterday my package of Morgan and Peace proofs was attempted to be delivered by UPS. The package requires a signature for delivery. Last night I had tried to change the delivery online at the UPS website but was constantly getting "technical issues refresh or try later" notices. Today, after putting off errands as long as possible, I left a note on the original delivery notice asking that UPS hold the package for pick up. . When I returned from errands, the original notice with my note was still on the front door. Nothing indicated that the driver had made a second delivery attempt.
    I went online to the UPS tracking portal and the status has changed to "Refused Delivery" I did not refuse delivery and my note was very clear. Has anyone had this experience? If so, were you able to change the "Refused Delivery" status back to trying to deliver or holding at the UPS office ?

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@SuperRecord said:
    .... Has anyone had this experience? If so, were you able to change the "Refused Delivery" status back to trying to deliver or holding at the UPS office ?

I have never had the issue you stated...but no where in your note did you indicate trying to get a real person on the phone and calling UPS directly to ask a real person.

As much as we think we're an online world and that things can get resolved through websites, apps, etc...they have just as many problems today as they did years ago. Try calling UPS and see if they can arrange to have the package re-delivered...otherwise, your coins are going to show up some day soon at 0730 for someone else to buy!

UPS - 1 (800) 742-5877

BST references available on request

• Options

Thank you, I did try to contact UPS via telephone. I also drove several miles to the UPS regional hub and was unable to find anyone who could help. I was told to wait until tomorrow, 16 November, and drive back again. I thought, in the mean time, I would reach out here. Sorry for not being more informative with my original post. I was concerned it was becoming too long of a post.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SuperRecord said:
    Thank you, I did try to contact UPS via telephone. I also drove several miles to the UPS regional hub and was unable to find anyone who could help. I was told to wait until tomorrow, 16 November, and drive back again. I thought, in the mean time, I would reach out here. Sorry for not being more informative with my original post. I was concerned it was becoming too long of a post.

Your info notice should have a number on it that you can enter online and have them hold the package for pickup at their location.

• Options

Appreciate the comments thank you. I'll drive over tomorrow morning and try to sort it out. Probably something I'm doing wrong on the UPS website as I've tried to use both my tracking number as well as the notice number I recieved yesterday, and continously get a "technical problem, refresh or try again later" On a positive note, if the coins are returned, I won't have to pay too much of a premium to buy them again if the Mint is unable to help.

• Options

@SuperRecord said:

Good Luck in your quest...hopefully the drive back tomorrow will help.

Does UPS on the phone have any idea where the package is or can re-direct it back to you?

Also, don't worry about getting long-winded around here - there are plenty who don't mind getting long-winded or have 20k+ posts under their name!

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 10:00PM

@MetroD said:
    Are two e-confirmations now SOP for a standard order, or is something special going on with the remaining sets?

From my experience, with a standard (non subscription) order they send an acknowlegement email (shortly after placing the order) stating that your order has been received and that you will receive a confirmation email, which usually is within 24 hours. I believe you have to opt in for email notification when you place the order.

Edit to add - after testing an order it may just be text notifications that you have to opt in for.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

@MetroD said:

From my experience, with a standard (non subscription) order they send an acknowlegement email (shortly after placing the order) stating that your order has been received and that you will receive a confirmation email, which usually is within 24 hours. I believe you have to opt in for email notification when you place the order.

Edit to add - after testing an order it may just be text notifications that you have to opt in for.

I am not, repeat NOT, disputing your experience. However, my experience, back in 2021, was different. Standard (non-subscription) orders from the website received a single e-confirmation. In contrast, initiating a new subscription involved two separate communications:
    1) we have received your order, and will confirm within 24 hours;
    2) and, your order has been confirmed.

This 2021 experience is what prompted me to ask about the recent order reported by @badhop55. Based on my prior interactions, two e-communications implies the initiation of a subscription for future shipments, not placing an order for immediate fulfillment. Since it appears he wants the 2023 release, I hope that my dated experience is irrelevant, and that he gets the coins he wants.

On to the next subject, thanks for clarifying the Mint prefix codes. I think that I understand them now:
    ~ USM for standard (non-subscription) orders;
    ~ USM for initiating a new subscription;
    ~ and, USS for orders shipped under an existing subscription.

• Options

@SuperRecord said:
    Yesterday my package of Morgan and Peace proofs was attempted to be delivered by UPS. The package requires a signature for delivery. Last night I had tried to change the delivery online at the UPS website but was constantly getting "technical issues refresh or try later" notices. Today, after putting off errands as long as possible, I left a note on the original delivery notice asking that UPS hold the package for pick up. . When I returned from errands, the original notice with my note was still on the front door. Nothing indicated that the driver had made a second delivery attempt.
    I went online to the UPS tracking portal and the status has changed to "Refused Delivery" I did not refuse delivery and my note was very clear. Has anyone had this experience? If so, were you able to change the "Refused Delivery" status back to trying to deliver or holding at the UPS office ?

I changed the UPS delivery online and they held it.

What was the verbiage of the note? I assume the driver read it as a refusal.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Was available this morning. I didn't have enough time to checkout before it was gone but did cart it.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint strikes again. Found out I am not getting the 2023 RP set after calling them and wondering why my order stated 'Shipped' last week but not received.
    Here's the story. Received an email from the Mint last Monday 11/6 advertising the 2023 RP Morgan/Peace product. I decided to subscribe to the product. Successfully entered the subscription and got the email confirmation for the 2023 issue. Well the 2023 subscription cut-off was Friday 11/3 so my 'Shipped' notification was just the Mint's way of accepting the subscription. But it will not start until 2024. Everything from the 11/6 email to the subscription page to the Order confirmation stated 2023 with pictures of that year. No time was there any mention of the subscription not beginning 2024. Now its gone.
    I'm afraid of buying any if they become available as they will be returns and probably sub-par product.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 9:35AM

I doubt many have been returned yet. An order this week should be new inventory, I would think.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2023 10:40AM

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    The US Mint strikes again. Found out I am not getting the 2023 RP set after calling them and wondering why my order stated 'Shipped' last week but not received.
    Here's the story. Received an email from the Mint last Monday 11/6 advertising the 2023 RP Morgan/Peace product. I decided to subscribe to the product. Successfully entered the subscription and got the email confirmation for the 2023 issue. Well the 2023 subscription cut-off was Friday 11/3 so my 'Shipped' notification was just the Mint's way of accepting the subscription. But it will not start until 2024. Everything from the 11/6 email to the subscription page to the Order confirmation stated 2023 with pictures of that year. No time was there any mention of the subscription not beginning 2024. Now its gone.
    I'm afraid of buying any if they become available as they will be returns and probably sub-par product.

Several people here noted that the subscriptions had changed to 2024 last week. I think the only place you see the 2024 is on the start date of the subscription.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine yesterday; two sets.

They're both very nice!

I like the "normal" proofs much better; I even like the uncirculated strikes better. But that's just a matter of taste; these are very will struck.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe 70's will be more difficult than first believed for many new regular base, and first strike submissions. Several of my Morgans had 3 small little dots or imperfections in the fields of the reverse by the top of the right-side wreath, and in exactly the same location, indicating some kind of automated handling issue.

A couple Peace had scratches on the rims so you should check your rims closely for those, even if though the rest of the coin looked really good. Also, the capsules are really tight and much harder to remove than normal to get these into flips.

IMO, if you want 70's it is better to buy them presale graded. There will be quite a few 69 level coins returned and others being sold in OGP. Also, as a two-coin set, if one coin is good and the other bad, I believe you have to return the whole thing. Of course, you can try to rearrange things if you have multiple sets. But beware, what looks really good straight on at first can be deceiving when looking these at an angle in light.

• Options

Got this today :#

2023 Scarface Variety :)

• Options
    edited November 16, 2023 2:09PM

@ColonelKlinck said:

Word of Wisdom from my little friend - Tony Montana - Send it back!

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno.....reverse Proofs are kind of like pineapple pizza to me. It's fine, I know some people love them....but if I'm ordering, it's not what I'm getting.

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelKlinck said:

Is the capsule open on the obverse side? What's the blue schmutz on her nose?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@ColonelKlinck said:

Is the capsule open on the obverse side? What's the blue schmutz on her nose?

Pieces of cleaning rag. In 2021 the Denver Morgans were covered in those blue fibers.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SuperRecord said:

I changed the UPS delivery online and they held it.

What was the verbiage of the note? I assume the driver read it as a refusal.

Here is the note. I checked this morning and the package left my city early this morning to return to sender. I spoke to Customer Service at the Mint about an hour ago and was told they see the package in transit for return and they will refund my purchase price.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lsica said:
    I dunno.....reverse Proofs are kind of like pineapple pizza to me. It's fine, I know some people love them....but if I'm ordering, it's not what I'm getting.

My post/opinion has a similar thought, just not put as articulate it as your post...

• Options

Coin News.Net

US Mint Sales: 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Set Lasts 24 Hours
    By
    Mike Unser -
    November 16, 2023

Offered for $185 and limited to 250,000, the set lasted for almost exactly 24 hours before becoming unavailable. According to the U.S. Mint’s sales figures through Nov. 12, the total for the set is 220,372.

The Mint also offered the set within its Authorized Bulk Purchase Program, allocating up to 10% of the set’s mintage for the program. However, unlike the earlier released 2023-dated uncirculated and proof options of the Morgan and Peace dollars, the Mint did not report how many sets were sold to bulk buyers.

coinnews.net link

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 7:35PM

You wrote: "PLEASE HOLD FOR PICK UP!"

I see: "SEND THIS GARBAGE BACK!"

And then I took another hit on my joint!

...and it's a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

• Options

Son of a Silver Stacker commentary...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVdhN97Tes
  • Options

Today's PCGS POP Report now with First Strike entries.

91% PR70
    73.6% PR70 First Strike........that's quite a drop.

92.8% PR70
    91.5% PR70 First Strike......not much of a drop

I must say, in the early going the Morgan First Strike coins at 73.6% PR70 is quite a shocker.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    Today's PCGS POP Report now with First Strike entries.

91% PR70
    73.6% PR70 First Strike........that's quite a drop.

92.8% PR70
    91.5% PR70 First Strike......not much of a drop

I must say, in the early going the Morgan First Strike coins at 73.6% PR70 is quite a shocker.

But, it's not. It's not a reflection of early bulk submissions receiving more lenient grading. It's a reflection of early bulk submissions specifying minimum 70 grades. Nothing more to read into here.

And 75% is still a very high rate of 70s. That's why the coins are readily available in 70 slabs for less than 2x issue price. Dealers were able to sell around 75% of what they bought for a little less than 2x what they paid, and wholesale the balance out in OGP and get 100% of their money back. Pretty nice business when @jmlanzaf is willing to work for 5-10%.

• Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I received the 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars in uncir., proof, and RP. Of the three I like the uncirculated best. It's the way the original coins were made and the details show best to me. On the RPs the profiles of Liberty are too shiny to me. I can't see the details of the profiles unless I put a bright light up to the coins. My 2 cents worth (or 2 dollars worth :smile: )

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭

Just got mine delivered by USPS without signature. I haven’t yet opened the box because I already know the coins are 2023 proof, not 1923. 😀 upon looking at the images of the reverse proof posted here, I think I will wait for the sand blasted proof type in the coming years.

• Options

@Rarity said:
    Just got mine delivered by USPS without signature. I haven’t yet opened the box because I already know the coins are 2023 proof, not 1923. 😀 upon looking at the images of the reverse proof posted here, I think I will wait for the sand blasted proof type in the coming years.

I don't you'll ever see sandblasted proof, because today that's really the satin finish uncircs. Enhanced proof, OTOH, would be the natural progression if they want to goose interest in a future year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file