Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Two Coin Reverse Proof Set Thread****

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 22, 2023 2:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Too soon? I say no.

Item Number: 23XS ......available in the Fall of 2023.

We still don't have a mintage on this set, do we?

The last Silver $1Mint offering was the 2021 ASE Two Coin Set Designer Edition with the Type 1 and Type 2 Reverse in September 2021. There was a mintage limit of 125,000 sets with the HHL at one. The Type 1 was minted in West Point and the Type 2 was minted in San Francisco.

This upcoming 2023 Morgan/Peace $1 set has an undetermined Mintage with a HHL of five sets.
Both coins will be minted in San Francisco.

Do you have a subscription? If so, how many sets?

There are a lot of questions remaining, and I know our forum sleuths will be on top of every detail.

Your early thoughts please.

Love the look of these.....Mint High Res Images.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/morgan-peace-dollar-2023-two-coin-reverse-proof-set-23XS.html?cgid=product-schedule

Comments

• Options

@cagcrisp said:
    Mintage limit 250,000

Thank you.

• Options

I’m signed up for 5. But I’ll probably change that to just one before they ship. I’m not a fan of reverse proof in general, but I’m really curious how these will look in person.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are live photos available of these or the regular 2023 proof pieces?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Signed up for 3. I had changed it to 5 awhile ago, but it reset back to 3. That's fine, it's a pricey little pair.

• Options

Approx. $185.00 per subscription.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

Probably not. The Mint insists on using artist's renditions even after the coins are struck. I'm not sure they've even been struck yet.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

For now I’m stretching and getting 2. We’ll see. The ase’s RP from 21 didn’t do real well. 125,000 mintage. Heck, the Pride of two nations at 110,000 is barely selling for much over release. I know I know. Apples and oranges. Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

Probably not. The Mint insists on using artist's renditions even after the coins are struck. I'm not sure they've even been struck yet.

At least the above images aren't the Line Art version.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 3 sets in subscriptions but I doubt I will keep it at three. I wish they were more reasonably priced. I will get one set for sure.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 3 subscriptions for 1/1/ 2 for a total of 4. I plan to set aside an entire set in their sealed boxes. I have try to sell them and i may just put them away for a rainy day too. B):)B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting the max sub at 5 sets.
    That way I should get 2 nice coins out of 10..... >:)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

at the limit. should be good demand.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse of the 2023 Peace Dollar seems to have some subtle design changes. For example, Liberty's mouth seems to be open wider. Might just be my old eyes.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

27 search results on eBay for the two coin sets already.

One was for $775/set + $100 shipping......"2023 S 2 Coin Set Morgan & Peace Reverse Proof Nov 14 release Mint SOLD OUT"😂
    Wonder where he found the Mint release date or did he just fudge the date?

Most sets are presale listed for well over $300.

eBay Link

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

One was for $775/set + $100 shipping......"2023 S 2 Coin Set Morgan & Peace Reverse Proof Nov 14 release Mint SOLD OUT"😂

Check out your subscription page. It currently list the "next shipment" date as:

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Goldbully said:

Check out your subscription page. It currently list the "next shipment" date as:

Hey, you're right. Was that there a few days ago? I could have sworn it said TBD.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Hey, you're right. Was that there a few days ago? I could have sworn it said TBD.

Sorry, but I am not sure when the date originally posted, and if it has been consistently posted.

All I know is that it is posted now, and the release date still 'matches' the one I entered into my calendar earlier this year.

Thanks. Your question prompted me to verify that the date had not changed since the last time I checked. :)

• Options
    edited July 23, 2023 4:55PM

@ricko said:
    The obverse of the 2023 Peace Dollar seems to have some subtle design changes. For example, Liberty's mouth seems to be open wider. Might just be my old eyes.... Cheers, RickO

Let's see what we can see here, RickO.

PCGS TrueView MS66+

Mint image Proof

Mint image Unc.

Mint image Rev Proof

I believe you may have a point. It 'appears' Miss Liberty's mouth is more agape on the reverse proof.

• Options

And her bottom lip has been reduced in size.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully... Excellent comparative pictures, and shows clearly the change in mouth/lip detail. Thanks for the excellent pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I have 5 in my subscription. The reverse-proof is a first year finish, so it should appreciate in value later on.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2023 9:23AM

@SilverPlatinum said:
    I have 5 in my subscription. The reverse-proof is a first year finish, so it should appreciate in value later on.

Maybe. Depends on your idea of appreciate. The 2- coin sets don’t have a history of doing well. Pride of two nations 110,000 mintage. Ase 2021 RP 125,000 mintage and now this. 250,000mintage. We’ll see. I’m getting a couple but realized this years offerings were terminally flawed by too dang many. Mintage is great for collectors but not so much for those who flip. Thanks 🙏

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

Maybe. Depends on your idea of appreciate. The 2- coin sets don’t have a history of doing well. Pride of two nations 110,000 mintage. Ase 2021 RP 125,000 mintage and now this. 250,000mintage. We’ll see. I’m getting a couple but realized this years offerings were terminally flawed by too dang many. Mintage is great for collectors but not so much for those who flip. Thanks 🙏

I agree. It is almost always a mistake to expect any Mint product to appreciate. You need an ultra low mintage manufactured rarity to have a chance. None of this year's offerings fall into that category.

• Options

Just changed mine from 5 to 1. I only want one and am not interested in trying to flip the others.

• Options

I'm going to take my 5 subscriptions into the Fall and then make the decision whether to reduce the load.

The way I see it, when it gets close to crunch time, it will be a lot easier to subtract subscriptions, then to add them.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of these sets on subscription and it is the only one I am getting of the offerings of these silver dollars.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    I'm going to take my 5 subscriptions into the Fall and then make the decision whether to reduce the load.

The way I see it, when it gets close to crunch time, it will be a lot easier to subtract subscriptions, then to add them.

I will do likewise. However coins like this r good for trading.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up one each of the uncirculated coins and I'm still deciding if I like the coins for the price. I just dropped my proof subscriptions. The reverse proof I just dropped from 3 to 2 and will likely drop to 1 before they ship. I am not into collecting a long series date run of these high premium modern coins. I was more excited when they were a one of and I like my 2021s. The RP should be a nice looking set, but basically I am done with these unless something truly special comes along.

• Options
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 RP sets on subscription just like all of the other Morgan/Peace products offered by the mint.

These look especially spectacular in this finish.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

These will be flipable. Buy 'em.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not buy a coin from the mint to flip it. I buy just one set for me, no stress, no mess. I have one of these sets on subscription, the only Morgan and Peace dollars I am getting.

• Options

@derryb said:

Most things are flipable. I’m not seeing much profit from any 2023 silver. People scrambling to get their money back from the uncircs. Recommending a buy is kinda stretching it. We’ll see. We’ll see. I recommend getting what you need and move on.

These sell out quickly. Not this year. Still available? Caution “Will Robinson “. 🤔

• Options
    edited August 4, 2023 5:19PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@derryb said:

Most things are flipable. I’m not seeing much profit from any 2023 silver. People scrambling to get their money back from the uncircs. Recommending a buy is kinda stretching it. We’ll see. We’ll see. I recommend getting what you need and move on.

these will be profitably flipable. Buy 'em.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@derryb said:

these will be profitably flipable. Buy 'em.

Maybe. We shall see. Again, profitable is relative. How much is the question. Thanks 🙏

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Again, profitable is relative. How much is the question. Thanks 🙏

enough to buy 'em from the source.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Again, profitable is relative. How much is the question. Thanks 🙏

enough to buy 'em from the source.

Buying them is one thing. Selling for a reasonable price is the unknown. Thanks 😊

• Options

It's called speculation, something that can offer great reward or great regret.

• Options

@derryb said:
    It's called speculation, something that can offer great reward or great regret.

One should keep in mind the possibility of regret. I'm glad you got around to "speculation" from your earlier comment that sounded like a guarantee of profitability.

• Options

This guy has sold 18 of 20 presale sets PR70 FDOI for $325.
    eBay Link

Other eBay presale listings
    Not graded.....$300 and up so far.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 9:37AM

@Goldbully said:
    This guy has sold 18 of 20 presale sets PR70 FDOI for $325.
    eBay Link

Other eBay presale listings
    Not graded.....$300 and up so far.

Thanks, but there is a BIG difference between proof and reverse proof, in terms of mintage and cost, so it's really an irrelevant, apples to oranges comparison.

As far as flipping for profit goes, I really think both @derryb and @Jzyskowski1 are right. Based on subscriptions, price, mintage and unique finish, it's difficult to imagine these things not selling out and holding their value. Similarly, based on mintage and apparent organic demand, it's difficult to imagine these things being a double or triple.

As a result, I don't think anyone is either going to get rich or get hurt loading up on these, but there is also no reason to buy more than you want to hold, unless spinning your wheels to make a few bucks for each $200 invested, with minimal risk, is a good use of your time.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling the reverse proofs will surpass the price and popularity of the 2021 issues, probably even the CC. First ever RP, first proofs in over 100 years for either series, and the lower availability.
    I could be completely wrong too but believe the RP set will be a home run.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I have a feeling the reverse proofs will surpass the price and popularity of the 2021 issues, probably even the CC. First ever RP, first proofs in over 100 years for either series, and the lower availability.
    I could be completely wrong too but believe the RP set will be a home run.

Maybe 😸👍🏼

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

250k you have to keep bringing it up and eventually it will show you the total mintage

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

you guys haveway too much time on your hands.. her mouth looks as if she has a canker sore on lower lip. you guys make fun of the people who subscribe to these from the first post the guy says they will root out all the details yet i see basically each and everyone of you have subscribed to from 3 to 5 sets. does the word hipocrite mean anything to you guys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file