Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Two Coin Reverse Proof Set Thread****

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 12:48PM

[Friday is not Sunday. Your "sometimers" is showing.]

???

Sales start Thursday 11/9 @ Noon
    24 Hours Prior = Wednesday [1 Business Day]
    48 Hours Prior = Tuesday [2 Business Days]
    72 Hours Prior = Monday [3 Business Days]

And subscriptions can be cancelled up to 3 business days prior to the start of sales.

Therefore, in my book...the last "business day" to cancel was Friday 11/3.

Nothing nefarious in my book...in fact it's likely all automated with little of no human involvement.

If anyone wanted to cancel or adjust their subs, they had more than ample opportunity.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 1:32PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    The fact that subscriptions are still available and have been every time that I’ve checked them over the last few weeks is telling. If you like the coin buy it of course. But if you expect to make money selling it you are going to be out of luck.

Time will tell. Will be interesting to see if the people who are pre-buying graded MS70 sets on Ebay get their orders canceled. That would be a huge game changer😉

Sure would be! 😉 The same could be said about VB if their red cores turned out to be Chinese counterfeits that NGC somehow missed.

Any reason to throw this up on the board, other than to make a provocative, baseless speculation to garner a reaction and maybe induce some people to needlessly worry about their purchases? It didn't happen with the first release of uncs. Didn't happen with the second release of proofs. And won't be happening now. You can take it to the bank.

• Options

@HATTRICK said:

@DrDarryl said:
    FYI - NGC Special Label @ 2023 Baltimore Whitman Expo November 9 -11, 2023.

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/12256/

In the not too distant future few will give a RATS A$$ what ridiculous label is on the coin and they will give no additional value
    to the rarity or condition of the coin.

Probably. But "not too distant" is also probably a lot more distant than you think, given that the current trend is towards more, more and more of these labels for moderns, not less. Even at the worshiped CACG.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2023 1:39PM

@RichR said:

???

And subscriptions can be cancelled up to 3 business days prior to the start of sales.

Nothing nefarious in my book...in fact it's likely all automated with little of no human involvement.

If anyone wanted to cancel or adjust their subs, they had more than ample opportunity.

Agreed. Moreover, aren't these usually released on Wednesdays, and didn't they move this one to Thursday just to accommodate Baltimore? If so, they might not have made the adjustment on the subscription end.

I don't think it's anything nefarious to try to lock people in. Especially since they are still very liberal in taking returns.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

BST references available on request

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    The mint was being overwhelmed with cancellation of subscriptions so they started locking in orders early to reduce the number of cancellations

Same thing happened with the proofs. > @RichR said:

[The mint was being overwhelmed with cancellation of subscriptions so they started locking in orders early to reduce the number of cancellations]

...or when the clock ticked Sunday, we were within the 3 or 4 day order processing/non cancellation window.

I believe that's standard operating procedure.

Don't confuse people with facts.

• Options

@HATTRICK said:

@RichR said:
    [The mint was being overwhelmed with cancellation of subscriptions so they started locking in orders early to reduce the number of cancellations]

...or when the clock ticked Sunday, we were within the 3 or 4 day order processing/non cancellation window.

I believe that's standard operating procedure.

Friday is not Sunday. Your "sometimers" is showing. :#

Isn't it business days, not calendar days?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

$0.00 Charged Today
    Next Product in Subscription:
    Morgan and Peace Dollar 2023 Two-Coin Reverse Proof Set
    Ships November 9, 2023

subs open!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Looks like subs added today qualify for this release on Thursday.
    So all the hoopla about when is the last time to get in or cancel—-apparently weekends count!!!
    So I would assume any subscription added today—Sunday—- or cancellations for that matter today will qualify.
    It didn’t cutoff Friday night.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@Joe_360 said:
    The Coin Vault is less, $399.98 for the same, NGC PR70 1st day of issue...

This is actually a very good deal for TV, given that street prices are around $330-350. The RCTV price is more in line with what I'd expect for TV.

Don't forget, while we all think it's a ripoff, TV is a very expensive way to sell anything. Coins are not an exception.

The margins, at either $400 or $480, are actually a lot less than for a large dealer selling on the web or through eBay for $350, when you take into account buying airtime, paying hosts, and production costs, in addition to all the other inventory and shipping costs any other dealer has.

Of course, they make it up in volume, so no one needs to cry for the TV guys. But no one should think they are gouging with their prices. Not on things like this. They are selling into a different market than the one that shops at a coin show, or with their favorite dealer on the web, and the TV distribution model is expensive.

Exactly right. Yes, their prices are often comparably “high,” but the costs involved in a television production are massive. Not a defense. Just fact. But remember if they weren’t making profits they wouldn’t keep doing it.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let da countdown begin... Wondering when the next topics will be shipping/packaging issues, mint quality and/or OGP complains will start...? As the coin turns....

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    Looks like subs added today qualify for this release on Thursday.
    So all the hoopla about when is the last time to get in or cancel—-apparently weekends count!!!
    So I would assume any subscription added today—Sunday—- or cancellations for that matter today will qualify.
    It didn’t cutoff Friday night.

Subs still available this morning and the Mint violated their own policy by processing subscriptions early. The website clearly states you have up until 11:59 p.m. TODAY to modify or cancel subscriptions. However, because they processed early you can't modify or cancel subscriptions today.🙄

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

???

It was just a satirical comment, but as you can see many posters spend more time debating anything posted than providing useful information 😎 >:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2023 8:06AM

It's official. UPS Adult Sig? A Saturday order placed?

Order Placed: 11/4/23
    Order #USS15949xxx

Shipping Status: PROCESSING
    Method: UPS Ground Sig Adult

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    It's official. UPS Adult Sig? A Saturday order placed?

Order Placed: 11/4/23
    Order #USS15949xxx

Shipping Status: PROCESSING
    Method: UPS Ground Sig Adult

Of course open for sales closed for cancellations. When it comes to sales, duping the public is fair game.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

As far as more and more modern labels than ever, it is a sign of immanent failure of the item. Stamps, sports cards, pogs,
    beanie babies and modern coin labels.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not read this thread from start to finish, but curiosity compels me to ask:

Have any of these 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars (raw or slabbed) showed up in the marketplace that have "Monster Rainbow Toning"?

If so, did they sell? If they did sell, how much did they sell for?

I am curious what the lag time is between the Mint releasing coins such as these and the appearance of toned examples of same in the marketplace.

• Options

Re the timing of the release this week...I just realised that this Friday is also a federal holiday...Veterans Day...so that may have impacted the need to get the credit card charges (and any recocilliations) rolling a bit earlier than usual.

• Options

Remember
    The mint is like a box of Chocolates
    You never know what you will get.
    😁😁😁

• Options

@NorCalJack said:
    I checked mine and mine is processing also. Really looking forward to this set. I think these will spectacular in hand.

They do look spectacular. I took a tour of the Denver mint last week, and there were some on display in a case already. I think they look the best of all the varieties released this year. Way better than the regular proof.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum said:
    :) WOW got my UPS shipping notification with tracking number!
    The Mint is shipping today! Not November 9th!

Do you remember what shipping option you picked??

BST references available on request

• Options
    edited November 6, 2023 7:20PM

[The Mint is shipping today! Not November 9th!]

?????!!!!!?????

Has the Mint ever shipped ANYTHING a full four days before online sales start???

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

Has the Mint ever shipped ANYTHING a full four days before online sales start???

in the past subs would go out a day before on sale

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@RichR said:
    Re the timing of the release this week...I just realised that this Friday is also a federal holiday...Veterans Day...so that may have impacted the need to get the credit card charges (and any recocilliations) rolling a bit earlier than usual.

@MsMorrisine said:

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

Does anyone remember whether or not the original on sale date was tomorrow, before they moved it for the show? If so, that's going to be the explanation. If not, it's truly inexplicable.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@RichR said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

Does anyone remember whether or not the original on sale date was tomorrow, before they moved it for the show? If so, that's going to be the explanation. If not, it's truly inexplicable.

Original RP release date was 11/14.

Tim

• Options

@pointfivezero said:

@NJCoin said:

@RichR said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

Original RP release date was 11/14.

Tim

Then this really is totally inexplicable. It's like they are totally discombobulated, and processed and shipped as though the release was on the 7th, a full week before the original date and two days before the actual date.

Just a huge screw up on their end, which is going to result in people subscribing and getting expedited shipping getting their hands on the coins before the Big Boys are allowed to ship to their customers under their embargo.

Hopefully this will at least put to rest all the speculation about Advance Release coins not possibly, under any circumstances, being available for grading weeks ago, in spite of the fact that multiple Big Boys priced regular FDOI sets very aggressively, as though they knew how the coins would end up grading.

• Options

[Then this really is totally inexplicable.]

Now this really would be the circumstance for some type of juicy error to appear...with just a small fraction already shipped before the discovery of an issue in the wild!

...or so I can dream!

• Options

@RichR said:
    [Then this really is totally inexplicable.]

Now this really would be the circumstance for some type of juicy error to appear...with just a small fraction already shipped before the discovery of an issue in the wild!

...or so I can dream!

Except, as I've been trying in vain to convince people, tens of thousands have been out for weeks, in the hands of the TPGs and Big Boys, although embargoed for release to the masses. So, while juicy errors and indeed rare, the circumstances you are dreaming about because jumped the gun by two days on a public release actually exist all the time for the Big Boys with their Advance Release coins.

• Options

New to the hobby but curious, who are the "big boys" in the coin industry?

• Options

@SuperRecord said:
    New to the hobby but curious, who are the "big boys" in the coin industry?

Apmex, Pinehurst, etc.

Big Boys with redirect to Mint Products.

• Options

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

No.

But the Mint doesn't ship anything. They have a fulfillment service.

[I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just order confusion.]

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2023 4:14AM

Subscriptions still open this morning. Added two more as I think these are going to be great coins. Total 5 now coming to me. No flipping here just gifts and my own these will be.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mint sends you this set before the release date of November 9'th, could you actually mail it to be graded with the coveted Advanced Release label? Of course you would have to mail it in it's original packaging with the postal time stamp as proof...

• Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    If the mint sends you this set before the release date of November 9'th, could you actually mail it to be graded with the coveted Advanced Release label? Of course you would have to mail it in it's original packaging with the postal time stamp as proof...

I would think so.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 8:20AM

@RichR said:

?????!!!!!?????

No.

But the Mint doesn't ship anything. There> @OLC said:

@Onastone said:

I would think so.

I would think not. LOL. They have pretty specific criteria for the Advanced Release label.

NGC offers the Advance Releases designation for select coins that are purchased by designated mint customers prior to the publicly posted first day that a mint makes a new coin issue available for sale. For example, if the mint's public calendar identifies the first day of sales as January 10, coins qualifying for Advance Releases must be purchased by designated mint customers prior to that date, typically through a bulk advance purchasing arrangement with the mint.

To qualify for Advance Releases, coins must be purchased by designated mint customers prior to the publicly posted first day that a mint makes a new coin issue available for sale and must be received by NGC or an NGC-approved depository within one week of their ship date. NGC will require that the submitter provide adequate evidence (including purchase receipts) to demonstrate the date when the coins were purchased and shipped.

The Advance Releases designation is made available only to select submitters of bulk quantities of qualifying coins. An advance request is required and there is generally a higher grading fee for the specific designation verification and attribution.

What coins are eligible for the Advance Releases designation?
    Only certain coins will be designated Advance Releases by NGC. This designation is offered only to select submitters of bulk quantities of qualify coins. To qualify for Advance Releases, coins must meet the requirements specified under What is "Advance Releases"? above.

Edited to add: that is copied from the NGC website.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 8:17AM

@OLC said:

@Onastone said:

I would think so.

Absolutely not. Those are limited to the Big Boys. I'm pretty sure it's one of those bulk things. It involves paperwork from the Mint, which is why it's a quasi official Mint designation. If you are not an Advance Release purchaser from the Mint, you can't get the designation on a slab, no matter how early you might have gotten your hands on some kinds.

Edit: I did not see @jmlanzaf's post above. He is spot on, with a lot more detail than I provided.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@OLC said:

@Onastone said:

I would think so.

Absolutely not. Those are limited to the Big Boys. I'm pretty sure it's one of those bulk things. It involves paperwork from the Mint, which is why it's a quasi official Mint designation. If you are not an Advance Release purchaser from the Mint, you can't get the designation on a slab, no matter how early you might have gotten your hands on some kinds.

Edit: I did not see @jmlanzaf's post above. He is spot on, with a lot more detail than I provided.

Look at us agreeing. 😉

I should have mentioned, now fixed, that I just copied the FAQs from the NGC website.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2023 8:27AM
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2023 8:56AM

If certain parties do, in fact, have access to Mint products significantly ahead of the official sales/release dates...that will only continue until there is a significant error (or other highly collectible issue) discovered in a future issue...and the officially "embargoed" coins magically make their way onto eBay or another similar site...and are flipped for hundreds or thousands of dollars per coin...and a major uproar occurs in the numismatic press!

That will then be the end of any "unofficial" Mint early release program for big buyers!

• Options

@RichR said:
    If certain parties do, in fact, have access to Mint products significantly ahead of the official sales/release dates...that will only continue until there is a significant error (or other highly collectible issue) discovered in a future issue...and the officially "embargoed" coins magically make their way onto eBay or another similar site...and are flipped for hundreds or thousands of dollars per coin...and a major uproar occurs in the numismatic press!

That will then be the end of any "unofficial" Mint early release program for big buyers!

Not gonna happen, because if they break the embargo, they lose access to future releases. Whatever they can do in terms of flips can happen in a few weeks when the embargo lifts. Just as it does now with all the Advance Release coins, which, trust me, for this release, are graded, in dealers' hands, and ready to go on Thursday.

What you are referring to as an "unofficial" program is actually an "official" one, with qualifications, TPG certifications, and the whole none yards. It's just not publicized, or well understood, as to who gets what when. All we know for sure is that the program is very exclusive and limited, and Advance Release TPG graded coins magically appear in the market on the release date for each coin that is in the program.

• Options

As further proof the big boys know how coins are grading and have many 70 coins to sale last night I got an email from Pinehurst.
    It said hope you waited for this special deal. NGC 70 coins in a free 10 coin box for $299.99 and I think the FDOI were $339.99

• Options

Update; This is what happened so far:
    -November 4th: My credit card got charged (I posted a screenshot of it on that day).
    -November 6th: Got and email notification from UPS with tracking number citing that delivery is November 7th. (I posted a screenshot of it on that day).
    -November 7th: UPS changed the delivery from November 7th to this: "The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible."

I would guess that the Mint just created the UPS label and my package is still not picked-up by UPS yet!
    :) I would still demand "Advanced Release label" if I can since I have the UPS tracking as a proof.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum said:
    -November 4th: My credit card got charged (I posted a screenshot of it on that day).
    -November 6th: Got and email notification from UPS with tracking number citing that delivery is November 7th. (I posted a screenshot of it on that day).
    -November 7th: UPS changed the delivery from November 7th to this: "The delivery date will be provided as soon as possible."

I would guess that the Mint just created the UPS label and my package is still not picked-up by UPS yet!
    :) I would still demand "Advanced Release label" if I can since I have the UPS tracking as a proof.

Thanks for posting an update. :)

Regarding the AR designation, I agree with @jmlanzaf and @NJCoin. Please refer to this JUL-2023 post from Heather Boyd, PCGS Senior Director of Marketing. She explicitly states that the AR designation is only available to bulk submitters, not CC members.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 1:56PM

@SilverPlatinum said:

No. If you received an expected delivery date, UPS had your package. No doubt the Mint caught its boo-boo and instructed UPS to hold everything until at least the 9th. UPS would NEVER send an e-mail promising delivery the next day if your package was not in hand.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I didn't think so, AR labels are definitely exclusive for those bulk buyers, even if you have received your coin in advance of the release! You'd just get a First Strike designation. Anyway I did get @jmlanzaf and @NJCoin to agree!!!!

I doubt I'd get my coins before the 9'th even though my CC has already been charged, I don't think they're in the mail yet. I'm watching to see who posts one first.....who do you think gets theirs first?? I'm guessing @Goldbully or maybe @RichR

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 5:14PM

The first picture > @SilverPlatinum said:

:) WOW got my UPS shipping notification with tracking number!
    The Mint is shipping today! Not November 9th!

This is a notice you get when you have a UPS account and are signed up to receive shipment notices. It will sometimes show an estimated date based on the level of service even if not received by UPS yet . If you then go to track the number it will say label printed and not received by UPS YET

Remember:
    It’s not the same thing unless it is the same thing. 🙃

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

No. If you received an expected delivery date, UPS had your package. No doubt the Mint caught its boo-boo and instructed UPS to hold everything until at least the 9th. UPS would NEVER send an e-mail promising delivery the next day if your package was not in hand.

They do, though. They include estimated delivery dates in all their emails. FedEx also. Couple weeks ago, I got a FedEx notice with an estimate 2 days later. It didn't leave Heritage for 5 or 6 days.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there an online way to cancel an order for these if they haven't shipped yet? Mine is in "Processing" and I have since changed my mind. I know I can simply return them, but would rather end the process now.

I'm guessing I'll have to call CS tomorrow..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file