Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

Simply pointing out that the high bidding is on a loose coin accompanied with a loose special certificate. While the coin can be graded/encapsulated with a normal label, the certificate, because it can no longer be submitted in a sealed mint box, is simply just another US Mint piece of paper. Regardless of the fact that there are only two hundred out there their value is being greatly over estimated per the ebay bids. After all, subtract $100 from the bidding for the value of the coin, is that piece of paper worth the bidding? LOL

People collect what they like and put their value on it. I am sure there are hundreds of millions of people out there that believe what you collect is not worth what you paid for it .
    To each his own.

This!

I have no interest in regency slabs. I don't mind people who like them buying them.

I have no interest in the signature of any coin designer or mint director in the last 150 years. I don't care if people who do want to collect them.

I don't believe in collecting by date and mint mark. I'm not yelling every time someone buys a 16D dime.

There's room for everyone if people stopped pushing people away.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

Simply pointing out that the high bidding is on a loose coin accompanied with a loose special certificate. While the coin can be graded/encapsulated with a normal label, the certificate, because it can no longer be submitted in a sealed mint box, is simply just another US Mint piece of paper. Regardless of the fact that there are only two hundred out there their value is being greatly over estimated per the ebay bids. After all, subtract $100 from the bidding for the value of the coin, is that piece of paper worth the bidding? LOL

People collect what they like and put their value on it. I am sure there are hundreds of millions of people out there that believe what you collect is not worth what you paid for it .
    To each his own.

This!

I have no interest in regency slabs. I don't mind people who like them buying them.

I have no interest in the signature of any coin designer or mint director in the last 150 years. I don't care if people who do want to collect them.

I don't believe in collecting by date and mint mark. I'm not yelling every time someone buys a 16D dime.

the point of discussion is their value not whether they are collectible. Matchbooks are collectible to my brother.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

To each his own.

This!

the point of discussion is their value not whether they are collectible. Matchbooks are collectible to my brother.

Their value is whatever they sell for in an open market. Their future value is always speculative.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 2:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

To each his own.

This!

Their value is whatever they sell for in an open market. Their future value is always speculative.

"Their value price is whatever they sell for in an open market."

Those that believe price is value should avoid investing. My whole point has been that their current price is being determined by hope of a higher future price (speculation). And their value? In the eye of the beholder. It's not like you have a $100 bill that you can exchange later for $100 (we'll leave loss of purchasing power out of this one).

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Keep in mind you can still buy over 100-year-old classic uncirculated Morgans graded in MS64 for just a little over $100, too.

Does anyone really think these new uncirculated moderns will actually have much upside in the long term?

Yes if this is a continuation of the original series which this is intended to be. Even if the 2020s era Morgans and Peace Dollars have no premium, it might push the prices of the older coins up.

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

To each his own.

This!

"Their value price is whatever they sell for in an open market."

Those that believe price is value should avoid investing. My whole point has been that their current price is being determined by hope of a higher future price (speculation). And their value? In the eye of the beholder. It's not like you have a $100 bill that you can exchange later for $100 (we'll leave loss of purchasing power out of this one).

Then there is no such thing as value.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2023 2:23PM

@derryb said

Your idea of value is what it is worth to a flipper for future resale. Many more collectors base value on what they desire and love to collect. Buy the way my uncle collected wooden matchboxes from all over Europe and Asia in the 1950's.
    Some from countries that no longer exist are quite valuable. Again to each his own except for the flippers. :D

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    see Dan Carrs latest > @derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

@derryb said

Your idea of value is what it is worth to a flipper for future resale. Many more collectors base value on what they desire and love to collect. Buy the way my uncle collected wooden matchboxes from all over Europe and Asia in the 1950's.
    Some from countries that no longer exist are quite valuable. Again to each his own except for the flippers. :D

We also hear it all the time in here about the value of "pride of ownership", etc. If I buy something, enjoy having it and it ends up in the garbage when I die, it may still be worth it to me.

My aunt had a giant glass sniffer of matchbooks she collected in her travels. When she died, we took a few interesting ones home and threw out the others. It's value to her was incalculable. She had it prominently displayed on her mantle for 50 years.

And to use Derry's own argument, he's not taking about "value", he's talking about future "price".

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 2:27PM

@jmlanzaf said:

And to use Derry's own argument, he's not taking about "value", he's talking about future "price".

when it comes to investing/flipping whether it be mint COAs, coins or stocks and bonds it is always about the future price.

Like I said, value is in the eye of the beholder. And if his heirs disagree, value goes out the window and into the trash.

• Options

we were talking about current and or future price of the 200 signed COA's with the coins. He stated it would be worthless based on his values. Who knows how many collectors will want one certified or not and what they will be willing to pay to get one was my point. Same difference. Things expected to have great future value have fell thru the floor and others thought to be duds have risen to the moon. Remember that box of chocolates thing. Buy what you like to collect and pay what it is worth to you to have it.
    P.S. I am done on this subject.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@HATTRICK said:
    we were talking about current and or future price of the 200 signed COA's with the coins. He stated it would be worthless based on his values. Who knows how many collectors will want one certified or not and what they will be willing to pay to get one was my point. Same difference. Things expected to have great future value have fell thru the floor and others thought to be duds have risen to the moon. Remember that box of chocolates thing. Buy what you like to collect and pay what it is worth to you to have it.
    P.S. I am done on this subject.

I totally agree with you.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2023 2:40PM

and don't forget that eye of the beholder thing. B)

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2023 2:52PM

Real value is not the eye of the beholder. It's what it is worth today right now, which in the case of the raw 2023 morgan/peace is around $80-$90.

Perceived value is different. I think it's more than that because I think they will be sold out and in demand long term IMO. That would be the eye of the beholder.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:
    Did I click the right thread??

Well we have to do something while we wait on the proof issues. 😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@fathom said:
    Real value is not the eye of the beholder. It's what it is worth today right now, which in the case of the raw 2023 morgan/peace is around $80-$90.

Perceived value is different. I think it's more than that because I think they will be sold out and in demand long term IMO. That would be the eye of the beholder.

They will be sold out and in demand, probably for around $50

• Options
    edited July 27, 2023 4:35AM

Available now hurry morgan lasted 2+ minutes
    Peace available still 5 minutes in.
    All done. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Both were avaliable, only the peace is still available (>99)

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's over........for today anyway.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Still some big buyers. > @Goldbully said:

It's over........for today anyway.

Still some big buyers. I was able to get 99 in my cart and sold out less than 2 minutes later.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 6:44AM

You think coffee at 7:30am at the Mint store is an every morning occurrence now? Just wait until 800,000 proof Morgans and Peace $1's find their way into the marketplace August 9th. I hear they will be serving silver dollar pancakes with your coffee through September.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2023 9:36AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

You've got a bad prediction record.

I will take all you have for $50.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2023 10:38AM

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

Could you cite one bad prediction?

I actually have a pretty good record on Mint products. But no matter. Keep watching ebay. They are already in the 80s

I will admit to being a bit wrong about the 2021 Morgans. I thought they'd be down to $100 by now but they are still in the $150 to $170 range so they only dropped 20% from the post release price.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino could the big moves be the big boys taking more of their allotments too?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 11:53AM

My 2 cents...if the Unc. are such $$$ failures as deemed by some...then a lot of people are sure lining up for more failure with the proofs.

I just think that these are fresh and exciting (for century old classic designs) and therefore the normal rules may not apply...at least not yet.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:
    @SPalladino could the big moves be the big boys taking more of their allotments too?

The ABPP orders would not impact subscription numbers directly, unless the mint accounting/housekeeping included a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul, which is possible I guess. That said, I do not know mint policy in that regard, nor do I know the deadline for ABPP orders to be in. (after all, the ABPP receives their orders in advance of the release date)
    The big boys may also have various subscription accounts that feed back to them, which might explain what was seen with the Peace proofs today, but not likely what was seen yesterday. (although the subscription-based coins received by the big boys could not qualify for an Advanced Release label)
    That said, the above reply is largely conjecture.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

It seems like everyone is running scared from the proofs with mintage at 400,000 a piece. If the market sucked up 275,000 uncs like nothing; it will absorb 400,000 proofs. Dont under estimate the demand of a PROOF Morgan.

• Options

@RichR said:
    My 2 cents...if the Unc. are such $$$ failures as deemed by some...then a lot of people are sure lining up for more failure with the proofs.

I just think that these are fresh and exciting (for century old classic designs) and therefore the normal rules may not apply...at least not yet.

The UNCs aren't failures. They are fine for collecting. But just like any Mint product, they don't tend to increase in value later.

The Proofs are actually a better "value" if you compare their price to ASE proofs. I really don't expect these to appreciate, but I would bet they stay closer to issue price.

As for people rushing in...Mint and Proof sets have been losing money for people for decades... but they still sell a few hundred thousand every year.

"It's different this time" is always a questionable strategy. The one rule that always applies is supply and demand. 400,000 is a huge supply. People always mock the HSN, TV and print ad people. But those are the reason these sell out now. Take away the coins being marketed (at high prices) to non-traditional collectors and I will bet you have more than enough supply for the traditional collector demand.

It's a hobby. Buy it because you like it. Period. Even if they hold their value, they will likely grossly underperform most other asset classes. But, so what? We do it because it's fun, right?

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy to see these things be a big success for the Mint--Sold out quickly, but pretty much anyone who wanted one (or more) could get what they wanted without cluster-f&&k that characterized the sales in 2021.

And I'm amused to see, yet again, that people can fight endlessly on an internet forum about things that don't matter in the slightest.

• Options

@124Spider said:
    I'm happy to see these things be a big success for the Mint--Sold out quickly, but pretty much anyone who wanted one (or more) could get what they wanted without cluster-f&&k that characterized the sales in 2021.

And I'm amused to see, yet again, that people can fight endlessly on an internet forum about things that don't matter in the slightest.

To be fair, it does matter to some people. The flippers want to flip. And even some collectors want to justify the purchase based on price appreciation.

Personally, I like to think of all hobby costs as sunk costs. So I really don't care what goes up or down.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:

To be fair, it does matter to some people. The flippers want to flip. And even some collectors want to justify the purchase based on price appreciation.

Personally, I like to think of all hobby costs as sunk costs. So I really don't care what goes up or down.

Fair enough. But the Mint does not owe its customers the ability to flip for a profit. And people can bench race all they want, but the market will do what the market will do, irrespective of what people expect or hope.

I don't see my coin purchases as a "sunk cost," since there is a market for everything I buy. I see my coin purchases as converting a liquid asset--cash--into an illiquid asset with uncertain value--coins. When I spend a lot of money on a coin (and, to me, "a lot of money" is more than a couple of hundred dollars), I try to be as sure as I can be that I could sell the coin for a substantial percentage of what I paid for it. That said, I don't consider my coin purchases to be "investments." There are much safer ways to "invest" than in some combination of collectibles and bullion.

I like these coins, and they're fairly inexpensive, so I don't worry about my ability to get my money back. But I feel confident that, if I wanted to sell mine, I could get the clear majority of what I spent, easily.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2023 2:54PM

Available now > @coiner said:

It seems like everyone is running scared from the proofs with mintage at 400,000 a piece. If the market sucked up 275,000 uncs like nothing; it will absorb 400,000 proofs. Dont under estimate the demand of a PROOF Morgan.

I’m betting that people have become a wee bit smarter. I’m still saying that the proofs will suffer a similar fate as the uncirculated.
    My money is on the reverse proofs. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 3:05PM

So, I'm starting to plan ahead to my next submission, after all my Peace / Morgan subs are in. I'm looking at the PCGS coin number lookup / reference, as well as the price guide.
    I see the Morgan Unc $ is 925279.
    The Peace Unc $ is 925283.
    I know these are not out yet, but they have numbers for almost all 2023 Peace and Morgans. ...
    The 2023-S Peace Proof is 925284 (ie Unc number +1.)
    The 2023-S Morgan Proof does not seem to have a number yet? Might just be an oversight.
    Would that possibly follow the same logic, Unc+1 which is 925279+1 = 925280?
    Make sense?

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 3:26PM

Dilution effect.

While there are still 2022 Morgan and Peace unc FDOI and AR populations being added to the PCGS pop report, the percentage of First Strike and base label populations is climbing, and will continue to climb from here out, as collector submissions dilute out the initial submissions of the big boys (FDOI and AR). As an example, here are the percentages of the total population, just six days apart.

The percent of 70s amongst the FDOI and AR populations is near 100% (again, PCGS data), while the First Strike and base label grade out 70 at a much lower rate. Percent 70 for FS, base label, FS+base combined, and FDOI and AR combined, as of 7/27/2023 (first row = Morgan unc, second row = Peace unc):

An early assessment is that it is possible that the Peace uncs might have a slightly harder time making 70 (PCGS data only).
    While PCGS has been updating its pop report frequently (daily), NGC has not updated its pop report in over a week. Regardless, here is the current 7/27 summary of "% 70":

Bottom line, the percent 70 in the above summary screenshot will continue to decline gradually as the "dilution effect" proceeds.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stawick said:
    [...]
    The 2023-S Morgan Proof does not seem to have a number yet? Might just be an oversight.
    Make sense?
    [...]

I tried searching for 925280. Link

Looks like you were correct. :)

• Options

@HeatherBoyd

Thanks for providing that info on the bulk programs. It is greatly appreciated and will put stale arguments to rest. Many of us are tired of watching a few beating a dead horse over and over again.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@stawick said:
    [...]
    Make sense?
    [...]

I tried searching for 925280. Link

Looks like you were correct. :)

Thanks. Didnt think of coinfacts. B)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

Could you cite one bad prediction?

I actually have a pretty good record on Mint products. But no matter. Keep watching ebay. They are already in the 80s

I will admit to being a bit wrong about the 2021 Morgans. I thought they'd be down to $100 by now but they are still in the $150 to $170 range so they only dropped 20% from the post release price.

It was tongue in cheek but OK, on the 2023 I thought they would firm up right away and they haven't.

Its early though on all this stuff.....

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

This threads always bring out the same people/arguments....

Those with over exuberance "post release, it will go to the moon!"
    And those who feel it is their duty to try to crap on the item "it will go for half it's release price"

I never did get why the 2nd half feels like they have to comment all the time and try to dampen anyone's enthusiam...it will dampen quick enough by itself if the post-release price doesn't go up. Makes me think they just don't want others to find any success they aren't a part of.

Anyways....I hope everyone that has wanted one has gotten at least one.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited July 28, 2023 4:36AM

Available now hurry
    3 minutes still available
    Over 5 minutes and both available. Interesting. Plenty of time. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan lasted 10 minutes, Peace still up.

• Options

My opinion is that the market will suck up the regular proofs. It is the first PROOF release of the new Morgan and Peace dollars; the look on the Morgan should be incredible, cant wait to see the Peace as well.
    I am a true fan of the reverse proofs - I think there is a smaller group of collectors there and possibly less demand - but still will be enormously popular.
    The mintages on all of these issues are rising, I think the US Mint needs to seriously think about keeping it stable going forward----if there are any more of these to be issued (a series).

• Options

An early assessment is that it is possible that the Peace uncs might have a slightly harder time making 70 (PCGS data only).

I would like to see how this develops. My personal review of several hundred Peace Uncs showed a 20% or so "70" rate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file