Home U.S. Coin Forum

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

The peace dollar is still available. Hour and a half 😳🤔😱

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    My opinion is that the market will suck up the regular proofs. It is the first PROOF release of the new Morgan and Peace dollars; the look on the Morgan should be incredible, cant wait to see the Peace as well.
    I am a true fan of the reverse proofs - I think there is a smaller group of collectors there and possibly less demand - but still will be enormously popular.
    The mintages on all of these issues are rising, I think the US Mint needs to seriously think about keeping it stable going forward----if there are any more of these to be issued (a series).

This is a ley point and worth emphasizing. Aesthetics will play a role in the proofs popularity and acceptance.

IMO the reverse proofs are not as exciting. I don't think the process brings out the best in design. They are unusual so I get the trend, but will the popularity stand the test of time.

My point is do not obsess over mintages, demand is a key element of value down the road.

Have you seen the Fuji 2022 reverse proofs, Morgan and Peace Dollar? I’m growing to appreciate the look. Realize that there’s been proofs of both. Granted not many but there’s some to understand the look. Reverse proof is a brand new look. Thanks 🙏. 250,000 is a lot a sets but they truly are one of a kind. Thanks 🙏

Why should the Mint do anything other than mint as many as they can sell?

Because if they overproduce than values will plummet and people will stop buying. They have to justify the premiums charged by matching production to demand it's that simple. And they know that. They could have sold more '21s and they could have sold more 23s. It's a huge deal the 21s have held value.

You can have it both ways. You can produce a sufficient quantity to satisfy demand and hold values, without succumbing to maximum sale's potential.

Maybe the trade is underestimating the current Mints relevance in numismatics at the moment. They aren't driven by pure capitalism, they are starting to understand perceived value. They have a good product right now with these reissues and they recognize the value opportunity for collectors.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

Because if they overproduce than values will plummet and people will stop buying. They have to justify the premiums charged by matching production to demand it's that simple. And they know that. They could have sold more '21s and they could have sold more 23s. It's a huge deal the 21s have held value.

You can have it both ways. You can produce a sufficient quantity to satisfy demand and hold values, without succumbing to maximum sale's potential.

Maybe the trade is underestimating the current Mints relevance in numismatics at the moment. They aren't driven by pure capitalism, they are starting to understand perceived value. They have a good product right now with these reissues and they recognize the value opportunity for collectors.

Except the Mint's purpose is coins for commerce. It doesn't matter to them at all of they sell any collector coins. It only matters to collectors.

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

My point is do not obsess over mintages, demand is a key element of value down the road.

This is what I agree with. Price is determined by supply and demand. People focus on supply (Mintage), but I think the proof Morgan will really have a high demand and if that out strips supply, they will appreciate. I have 5 proof Morgan's on order. The Peace dollar demand will not be as strong in my opinion so pricing will be lower.

I am looking forward to getting this in the mail in a few weeks.

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

Except the Mint's purpose is coins for commerce. It doesn't matter to them at all of they sell any collector coins. It only matters to collectors.

I'm specifically referring to the collectibles not for commerce.

C'mon man...

@fathom said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fathom said:

I'm specifically referring to the collectibles not for commerce.

C'mon man...

C'mon man. Read the whole thing. You said the Mint needs to worry about overproduction because it could affect future sales. My response is that the MINT doesn't need or want to sell any of them. They are simply ordered to do so. If no one bought any, they really don't care. In some past years, OVER 100% of their profit came from seignorage.

Yes, someone at the Mint has the job of plotting collectible strategy. That individual is paid to care. But the Mint as a whole doesn't care.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2023 1:14PM

@fathom said:

Because if they overproduce than values will plummet and people will stop buying.

a lesson that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing fails to learn.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

[My response is that the MINT doesn't need or want to sell any of them. They are simply ordered to do so. If no one bought any, they really don't care.]

I may be naive, but in general I think recent Mint senior managers do want to make interesting collectibles...if for nothing else to make their lives a bit more interesting.

Plus, I can only imagine that some % of Mint personnel are actually coin collectors too???

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

BST references available on request

@RichR said:
    [My response is that the MINT doesn't need or want to sell any of them. They are simply ordered to do so. If no one bought any, they really don't care.]

I may be naive, but in general I think recent Mint senior managers do want to make interesting collectibles...if for nothing else to make their lives a bit more interesting.

Plus, I can only imagine that some % of Mint personnel are actually coin collectors too???

The recent Mint leadership raised prices and changed strategy to try to make the collectibles break even. And yes, as I pointed out, there are people in charge of that division that need it to work to keep their job. But the Mint as an entity exists if they never sell a single collectible. And past leadership have expressed frustration when collectibles get in the way of normal production.

Collectibles are such a tiny piece of their business. Collectors tend to consider it as far more important than it is.

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

I don't want to get in the middle of a silly pissing contest, but....

My understanding is that the commercial part of the Mint is required to support itself, financially. So they DO care about the commercial success of their products.

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:
    My understanding is that the commercial part of the Mint is required to support itself, financially. So they DO care about the commercial success of their products.

About the United States Mint

The mission of the U.S. Mint is to serve the American people by manufacturing and distributing circulating, precious metal and collectible coins and national medals, and providing security over assets entrusted to us.

Since our institution’s founding in 1792, the Mint has taken great pride in rendering the story of our nation in coins. To hold a coin or medal produced by the Mint is to connect to the founding principles of our nation and the makings of our economy.

The Mint is the nation’s sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the nation to conduct its trade and commerce.

The Mint also produces coin-related products, including proof, uncirculated, and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver and gold bullion coins. The Mint’s programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer.

BST references available on request

@HoneyMarket said:

@124Spider said:

> My understanding is that the commercial part of the Mint is required to support itself, financially. So they DO care about the commercial success of their products.

About the United States Mint

The mission of the U.S. Mint is to serve the American people by manufacturing and distributing circulating, precious metal and collectible coins and national medals, and providing security over assets entrusted to us.

Since our institution’s founding in 1792, the Mint has taken great pride in rendering the story of our nation in coins. To hold a coin or medal produced by the Mint is to connect to the founding principles of our nation and the makings of our economy.

The Mint is the nation’s sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage and is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the nation to conduct its trade and commerce.

The Mint also produces coin-related products, including proof, uncirculated, and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and silver and gold bullion coins. The Mint’s programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer.

Well of course they are self-sustaining overall. They have billions in seignorage.

edited July 29, 2023 11:06AM

@124Spider said:

@RichR said:

I don't want to get in the middle of a silly pissing contest, but....

It's a simple discussion not a contest. And in age that the commem division cares about commems. But the Mint itself exists even without such a division. I'm not sure why that observation is at all controversial.

edited July 29, 2023 4:42AM

YUPPERS. Available. Now
    Morgan’s and Peace.
    Been up so long the cats say they could get one of each 😹😹😸

Been up for ten minutes. The Morgan’s allowed me to cart 99 and
    I ofcourse canceled. I know screenshots.

I’m going back to sleep. They are still available

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 minutes in and you can get all you want.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

99 of each in the cart. Get as much as you want!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody has an opinion. If you have to keep arguing your opinion you are probably wrong. :(

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    edited July 29, 2023 7:21AM

POPS as of today...................

96.3% graded MS70

94.3% graded MS70
    News flash of the day...88.7% graded MS70 for the First Strikers.

edited to add: Now the Pops are slowly starting to reflect what we, the general public have in our hands.
    I expect the 69's to grow for both issues. Morgans may not have as many, we shall see.

Gone in 3 hours.

@Bullsitter said:
    Gone in 3 hours.

Be back in 21 hours.

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

The PROOF Morgan will be THE coin.
    The look should be dramatic.
    I like RP's as well - but the everyday collector will probably a purchase for the PROOF Morgan.

@coiner said:
    The PROOF Morgan will be THE coin.
    The look should be dramatic.
    I like RP's as well - but the everyday collector will probably a purchase for the PROOF Morgan.

400,000 pieces of chocolate that no one has tasted. That’s a lot. I know I know There’s some out there from the first offerings, a hundred years ago but we’ll see.
    I’m also aware of this applying to the reverse proofs but if the 2022 Fiji issue is any example they look fantastic. We’ll see

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭

NGC MS 70 FDOI being offered on TV for $399 for 2 coin set of both Morgan and Peace with cherry wood display box by Rick Tomaska of RarecollectiblesTV.com

too high - pass

Hope everybody gets nice DCAM pieces.... B)

@Bullsitter said:
    Hope everybody gets nice DCAM pieces.... B)

Agreed
    My concern is with quality. Those proof fields will provide an interesting situation. A lovely DCAM helps alot.

@HATTRICK said:
    Everybody has an opinion. If you have to keep arguing your opinion you are probably wrong. :(

If you have to keep arguing your opinion, it's because someone is arguing with you. So they must both be wrong...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2023 12:38PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

If you have to keep arguing your opinion, it's because someone is arguing with you. So they must both be wrong...

Unless they are arguing with you. ;) Of course, in that case, only one of them is wrong.

edited July 29, 2023 1:05PM

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

Unless they are arguing with you. ;) Of course, in that case, only one of them is wrong.

That's okay. I hope some of you will some day get the opportunity to be right. ;)

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

That's okay. I hope some of you will some day get the opportunity to be right. ;)

You're good, I'm not keeping score.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

You may be wrong but you may be right...https://youtu.be/Lkx3GEKei5s

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Slightly off track, but I looked at eBay sales of the reverse proof sets today and the sets are currently selling for $300-$350 set. After fees that is still a nice profit. I’m a bit amazed for an item that is still several months away.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalJack said:
    Price is determined by supply and demand. People focus on supply (Mintage), but I think the proof Morgan will really have a high demand and if that out strips supply, they will appreciate. I have 5 proof Morgan's on order. The Peace dollar demand will not be as strong in my opinion so pricing will be lower.

I think the Peace may very well keep up with the Morgan pricewise. There are thousands of proof Morgans in the collector community, but only a handful of expensive (matte) proof Peace dollars, so for now the Mint's offering is the only way to obtain a proof at a reasonable price. I'm looking forward to receiving one of each.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

@Orlena said:
    Slightly off track, but I looked at eBay sales of the reverse proof sets today and the sets are currently selling for $300-$350 set. After fees that is still a nice profit. I’m a bit amazed for an item that is still several months away.

Asking and sold are usually different. Are those sold prices? I’m thinking the reverse proof sets will be the only kinda winner and who knows. The ase congratulations set sells out every year. Not 2023. Still available.

I had 15 or each. I made more money on my 2 Vault Boxes.

[> @Jzyskowski1 said:

@Orlena said:

Asking and sold are usually different. Are those sold prices? I’m thinking the reverse proof sets will be the only kinda winner and who knows. The ase congratulations set sells out every year. Not 2023. Still available.

There are a couple sales. There's really not enough data to know if that price will even last to the actual release date.

A pre-sale this far ahead of release can also be easily reversed.

Available now both

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Available now both

Morgan’s about 2 minutes
    Peace about 5 minutes
    Getting quicker.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caught a couple in my bag...the Morgan blinked out before I could even release it. Seems to be slowly sputtering out, like a campfire.

I'm kind of surprised people are still chasing them - unless you haven't gotten any yet. Ebay prices are in the mid 80s. They aren't really flippable anymore and they will probably be available at issue price or lower this year.

I know 2 dealers trying to dump quantity at $80 to $84.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm kind of surprised people are still chasing them - unless you haven't gotten any yet. Ebay prices are in the mid 80s. They aren't really flippable anymore and they will probably be available at issue price or lower this year.

I’m a catch and release kinda guy. I personally do it for fun and to report to those who enjoy following along. I don’t think many of us are trying to buy. Just mostly fascinated with the sport. Natural for me as a large portion of our local streams are gold metal water which is fly and lure only. Catch and release only. Thanks 🙏

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I’m a catch and release kinda guy. I personally do it for fun and to report to those who enjoy following along. I don’t think many of us are trying to buy. Just mostly fascinated with the sport. Natural for me as a large portion of our local streams are gold metal water which is fly and lure only. Catch and release only. Thanks 🙏

Everyone needs a hobby. Early morning fishing is a good as any.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ten days until release date. Over the past three days, there have been reductions of subscriptions for the Morgan and Peace proofs, causing the subscription availability to increase.
    At about this point out from release date, the Morgan and Peace uncs were nearly fully subscribed. There were some reductions of subscriptions in this period, but then they were subsequently mostly taken up by others.
    Using mint data, I estimate that there will be no less than 47K Morgan proofs and nearly 49K Peace proof available for purchase on release date (assuming no net change in subscriptions). OTOH, if subscriptions continue to be reduced at the rate of the last 3 days (unlikely), there could be as many as 55.7K Morgan proofs and 67.7K Peace proofs available on release day.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file