Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it's a quiet Sunday morning. Nothing to get excited about.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:
    I bought them from the mint because I wanted them for myself. As long as I receive decent ones I'll be happy.

If they get cheap enough I might pick up an extra for a pocket piece.

The quality was definitely much better than 2021.

The quality of the Morgan is better than the 2021.
    The quality of the Peace is NOT.
    Out of the first 200 coins I’ve seen; I’d personally say that 20% make the grade.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:
    Pops as of today, July 22, 2023.........

Morgan $1...96% MS70........was 98%
    Peace $1....95.3% MS70.................was 97%

A slight decline from a few days ago......the next couple of weeks should show the true picture

The downward trend was due to more influx of First Strike and base labels (not necessarily the big boys), where the percent 70 is 81% and 78% for the Morgan and Peace uncs, respectively, versus the FDOI and Advanced Release labels (big boys), where the percent 70 is 100% and 99.8% for the Morgan and Peace uncs, respectively. The about 50% of the new population of graded coins on the pop report between 7/21 and 7/22 were First Strike and base labels. The percent of FDOI and Advance Release population of the total population graded were 86% for the Morgan and 83% for the Peace on 7/21, and dropped to 79% for each on 7/22. The percent of First Release and base label population of the total population graded were 14% for the Morgan and 17% for the Peace on 7/21, and jumped to 21% for each on 7/22.
    Bottom line, the trend will continue downward for the percent 70s for these 2023 uncs. My guess is that they level off at 85-88% 70s.
    Not unlike the 2021 Morgan and Pease issues:

(trend for percent 70 from 12/21 to 7/23)

100% and 99.8%? Wow! Those big guys must have excellent screening procedures. [End sarcasm]

I guess you’re the self proclaimed expert.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

[The quality of the Morgan is better than the 2021.]
    [The quality of the Peace is NOT.]

And the quality of both is 99.5% better than any historic original Morgan or Peace dollars ever minted previously!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2023 12:26PM

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:
    Pops as of today, July 22, 2023.........

Morgan $1...96% MS70........was 98%
    Peace $1....95.3% MS70.................was 97%

A slight decline from a few days ago......the next couple of weeks should show the true picture

The downward trend was due to more influx of First Strike and base labels (not necessarily the big boys), where the percent 70 is 81% and 78% for the Morgan and Peace uncs, respectively, versus the FDOI and Advanced Release labels (big boys), where the percent 70 is 100% and 99.8% for the Morgan and Peace uncs, respectively. The about 50% of the new population of graded coins on the pop report between 7/21 and 7/22 were First Strike and base labels. The percent of FDOI and Advance Release population of the total population graded were 86% for the Morgan and 83% for the Peace on 7/21, and dropped to 79% for each on 7/22. The percent of First Release and base label population of the total population graded were 14% for the Morgan and 17% for the Peace on 7/21, and jumped to 21% for each on 7/22.
    Bottom line, the trend will continue downward for the percent 70s for these 2023 uncs. My guess is that they level off at 85-88% 70s.
    Not unlike the 2021 Morgan and Pease issues:

(trend for percent 70 from 12/21 to 7/23)

100% and 99.8%? Wow! Those big guys must have excellent screening procedures. [End sarcasm]

I guess you’re the self proclaimed expert.

The data is what the data is. I'm not even the one who pulled the data. But according to someone on this forum, those results must represent excellent screening because you can't submit 70 only.

Can someone remind me? Is it FDOI thst requires direct submission in a sealed box?

• Options

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:
    I bought them from the mint because I wanted them for myself. As long as I receive decent ones I'll be happy.

Out of the first 200 coins I’ve seen; I’d personally say that 20% make the grade.

My Peace look fine. But even the peace had issues in 2021. There were fibers on everything.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBK said:

Maybe I'm a bit strict but when I reviewed the coins I had in my possession (25 of each), there were few of both that I would have classified as 70... Between the rim scrapes and other markings... I'm sure the tpg would have noted a fair number of them at 70 but where exactly is the line I'm not sure. I'm just glad I didn't send them in for grading because with my luck half would be 69.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    My girlfriend made me this hand carved Peace dollar stamp today.

Wow! Your girlfriend is quite talented. Congrats on that addition to your collection.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    My girlfriend made me this hand carved Peace dollar stamp today.

Really nice. Very talented indeed. She’s a keeper for sure. I mean. Wow, that’s really nice 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing again!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

😴💤😎

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited July 24, 2023 9:39AM

HATTRICK:

Are there any indentations or design distortion on the corresponding reverse side of the coin?

• Options

@RichR said:
    HATTRICK:

Are there any indentations or design distortion on the corresponding reverse side of the coin?

Pictures are from @1st_Place

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 9:55AM

@HATTRICK said:

@RichR said:
    HATTRICK:

Pictures are from @1st_Place

Is there another thread that @1st_Place posted the photos, or were they shared directly with you?
    Nice error. Without knowing for sure, I lean towards a planchet error.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

Is there another thread that @1st_Place posted the photos, or were they shared directly with you?
    Nice error. Without knowing for sure, I lean towards a planchet error.

Link

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @MetroD

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

Just saw a current listing on eBay. Free shipping. $84.95. Your choice morgan or peace. Interesting.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Just saw a current listing on eBay. Free shipping. $84.95. Your choice morgan or peace. Interesting.

A little suspicious unless it's one of the big boys. I had no trouble selling out 15 of each at $89 to $95 ($89 was a volume discount) in 3 days.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

A little suspicious unless it's one of the big boys. I had no trouble selling out 15 of each at $89 to $95 ($89 was a volume discount) in 3 days.

Just completed a transaction and no problem. Recommend by a formite in good standing. I’ll pm you the link.

• Options

Wholesale out at 86-90…no fees

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing at 730 this morning.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

The dude in charge of hitting the available button

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2023 8:43AM
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint sales w/e 07/23/2023:

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 259,811 + 3,907
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 338 +128
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 259,941 + 4,064
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 338 +144

• Options
    edited July 25, 2023 9:47AM

Is there a reason that the Unc. Peace Dollars have yet to be produced with a mintmark?

A Denver coin would have been a nice addition.

• Options

@RichR said:
    Is there a reason that the Unc. Peace Dollars have yet to be produced with a mintmark?

Perhaps next year’s issue?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2023 10:35AM

My two Peace Dollars arrived yesterday and I opened them today.

No director's strike - what a rip off! >:)

Actually, both are very nice with no flaws that immediately jumped out at me. Just a little velvet fuzz on the outside of the capsules.

I had somehow forgotten to sign up for the subscription on these only, but thanks to a forum member who alerted me the next morning I was able to order these the day after offering date.

I'll consider myself lucky - my one Morgan and two Peace are very nice, certainly acceptable quality. No complaints so far. We'll see if that lasts as the upcoming issues are released.

• Options

@JBK said:
    My two Peace Dollars arrived yesterday and I opened them today.

No director's strike - what a rip off! >:)

Actually, both are very nice with no flaws that immediately jumped out at me. Just a little velvet fuzz on the outside of the capsules.

I had somehow forgotten to sign up for the subscription on these only, but thanks to a forum member who alerted me the next morning I was able to order these the day after offering date.

Happy you got your coins. :)

• Options

I wonder what the future holds for these coins. Different mint marks? Enhanced uncirculated? Burnished? Only time will tell, I guess.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

The Denver coin quality was so bad last time the people involved may have been sacked.

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

• Options

I agree! I would like to see normal coins struck, and not all the satin/sms/bead blasted finish. Luster, PL, or that hint of design cameo found on coins that do not quite make PL/DMPL

• Options

@SPalladino said:

@JeffM said:
    I wonder what the future holds for these coins. Different mint marks? Enhanced uncirculated? Burnished? Only time will tell, I guess.

I don't really care about additional MM. I would like to see the mint produce finishes (dies) that give the fields some luster. ....like Dan Carr's pieces...

Um, when was that 2022 Morgan issued?? Sure looks like a real coin to me, down to the one dollar face value. How can this be issued when there were no coins in 2022?

• Options

@JeffM said:

@SPalladino said:

@JeffM said:

I don't really care about additional MM. I would like to see the mint produce finishes (dies) that give the fields some luster. ....like Dan Carr's pieces...

Um, when was that 2022 Morgan issued?? Sure looks like a real coin to me, down to the one dollar face value. How can this be issued when there were no coins in 2022?

It's Dan Carr, he makes tokens, they are not authentic dollars from the mint. I don't know much more about his tokens then that though.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@spyglassdesign said:

@JeffM said:

@SPalladino said:

@JeffM said:

It's Dan Carr, he makes tokens, they are not authentic dollars from the mint. I don't know much more about his tokens then that though.

Interesting. I believe it's against the law to exactly replicate a coin. There needs to be differences, some markings or whatever. Plus, the dollar value can't be on it, meaning that it has the equivalent of U.S. currency. I wonder how he does this?

He’s really really smart. He does it legally. You guys know he designed coins for the US Mint that are in circulation? He highly skilled, a friendly guy and a regular contributor to this forum.
    Perhaps google Moonlight Mint and get to know about him and his products. Thanks 🙏

• Options

@JeffM said:

>

Interesting. I believe it's against the law to exactly replicate a coin. There needs to be differences, some markings or whatever. Plus, the dollar value can't be on it, meaning that it has the equivalent of U.S. currency. I wonder how he does this?

Coins like this are and can be made when it is not an actual issued coin. Like there are no US Mint 2022 Morgans, no 1964 peace dollar, and so on.

• Options

Moonlight mint. Chech him out. He’s smart. Does it legally. He’s designed US Mint coins. He’s a member here.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Moonlight mint. Chech him out. He’s smart. Does it legally. He’s designed US Mint coins. He’s a member here.

I thought that was him but didn't want to speak of what I'm not sure of 😁

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2023 2:09PM

It’s not against the law to mint a token depicting a coin that the US Mint never produced.
    Dan is straightforward in stating that his buyers acknowledge that they will not attempt to sell it as a genuine coin.
    BTW. If you happen to have any Dan Carr 2022 Morgan or Peace dollars that you would like to exchange for 2023 US Mint Morgan or Peace dollars on an even token for coin basis, please DM me.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@spyglassdesign said:

@JeffM said:

@SPalladino said:

@JeffM said:

It's magic! :D

See comments above, and also, these are overstruck on actual silver dollars, so it could be argued they are just an alteration of a real coin.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@JeffM said:

>

Coins like this are and can be made when it is not an actual issued coin. Like there are no US Mint 2022 Morgans, no 1964 peace dollar, and so on.

We're not so forgiving when the Chinese do it...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file