Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Two Coin Reverse Proof Set Thread****

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@NJCoin said:

@fathom said:
    If the Mint does a 2024 RP issue I will be very disappointed.

Here they have a chance to cultivate loyal subscribers down the road who will see value in committing early.

Please do not flush that down the toilet.

Yeah, well, they are clearly a lot less interested in cultivating loyal subscribers with one-time only limited mintage releases, and are far more interested in striking while the iron is hot and turning $17 worth of silver into a $90+ coin, 500,000 times, every year if the market will support it.

You would do the same if given the opportunity. If and when it runs its course, they will just move on to the next big thing. The one certainty is that there will always be one.

No I would not do the same. I'm canceling my RPs. They are available next year if I change my mind.

Fair enough, but you are probably not running deficits like the federal government is. πŸ˜€

All kidding aside, everything is always available. The wildcard is, at what price?

As you must know, the ones you'll be able to buy from the Mint next year won't be 2023s. The fact that that Mint sold uncirculated Peace Dollars this year did not do anything to bring down the value of the 2021s, did it?

These will be first year of issue, at a lower mintage than the uncircs, which sold out. They'll do fine with you or without you, so you should definitely feel free to do whatever you feel is best for you.

• Options
    ExtremeengineerExtremeengineer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@fathom said:

Here they have a chance to cultivate loyal subscribers down the road who will see value in committing early.

It’s already on the Mint 2024 schedule, which a link to is posted in another thread here. No mintage # yet, but if they are close to sold out, can’t imagine why we would not see a duplicate 2024 mintage.

• Options
    ExtremeengineerExtremeengineer Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

So I only have one subscription, my intention is to keep it long term. My question is, as an individual should I send the set to a TPG, or just hold it raw? Whether we like it or not the holder does seem to add value, but as I am more limited in available labels, not sure if it would make sense to send the set in.

• Options

@Extremeengineer said:

@fathom said:

It’s already on the Mint 2024 schedule, which a link to is posted in another thread here. No mintage # yet, but if they are close to sold out, can’t imagine why we would not see a duplicate 2024 mintage.

You might even see a higher mintage, depending on how the 2023s do in the secondary market after they sell out. The massive demand and sustained premiums for the 2021s are the reason mintages were increased in 2023.

The Mint is clearly try to match mintages to demand, to allow these to maintain their value while neither flooding the market nor making them impossible for collectors to get at or near original issue price.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2023 6:25PM

@Extremeengineer said:
    So I only have one subscription, my intention is to keep it long term. My question is, as an individual should I send the set to a TPG, or just hold it raw? Whether we like it or not the holder does seem to add value, but as I am more limited in available labels, not sure if it would make sense to send the set in.

Here's the thing with that -- given how reasonably priced FDOI RP 70s are right now, it really makes no sense for you to send one set to a TPG, if a set in a slab is what you want. Your cost will be close to what the big dealers are now charging as a pre-sale, including round trip shipping and insurance, with no guarantee you will get 70s, and no ability for you to get a FDOI label, which is somewhat more desirable than First Strike.

Bottom line -- I have no opinion as to whether FDOI RP 70s are going to maintain their premium over OGP in the future. But, if they are what you want, at current prices, it makes no sense for you as an individual to make your own versus taking advantage of dealer bulk pricing to remove all of your risk.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

One NC dealer already paying $20 over per set.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

Not worth selling it to them….

• Options
    edited October 26, 2023 8:09PM

@Herb_T said:

@coiner said:

Why not? If you don't otherwise want them, it's an easy $100, plus credit card points, assuming they are reputable and are paying shipping.

• Options

They don’t pay shipping.
    So if you are a Day 2 buyer of quantities (if available) then it makes sense.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2023 9:57AM

@coiner said:
    They don’t pay shipping.

No. By then, they will be a Day 2 buyer in quantity, if they don't sell out on Day 1, and won't need to pay a 10% premium to anyone. So I'm quite sure the offer will be off the table by then, either because the market will be higher than $205 per set or because they will be available in quantity at $185.

If they are not paying shipping, it's kind of a stupid offer, given the shipping and insurance costs involved. Not to mention all the hassle and risk involved to make far less than $100 on a $925 investment.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care about "making money" I just want them to hold value, or slightly increase to partly cover inflationary trends.

Which they will not if they are minted every year. The only reason the 2001 Buffalo 1 ounce silver commem still hold value is because they stopped minting. Otherwise we will be looking at $80 lumps of silver over the long term. Proof ASEs.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@Herb_T said:

@coiner said:

Why not? If you don't otherwise want them, it's an easy $100, plus credit card points, assuming they are reputable and are paying shipping.

Not worth my time, my time is worth far more than $100…..

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

they don't pay shipping

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone cancelling please post quantity

β€œThe root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    edited October 27, 2023 3:19PM

@fathom said:
    I don't care about "making money" I just want them to hold value, or slightly increase to partly cover inflationary trends.

Which they will not if they are minted every year. The only reason the 2001 Buffalo 1 ounce silver commem still hold value is because they stopped minting. Otherwise we will be looking at $80 lumps of silver over the long term. Proof ASEs.

Maybe. But, it's unreasonable to expect the Mint to leave literally tens of millions of dollars on the table, every year, just so your $80 lump of silver can maybe be worth an extra $100-200, if that.

It's just a fact of life. As long as they can sell them in quantity, they honestly don't care about people who choose to sit out because it's not as good for them as it might otherwise be.

Clearly, there are several hundred thousand people happy to collect $80 lumps of silver, with no expectation of covering inflationary trends. And that's who the Mint is catering to, for the benefit of the American taxpayer, if not you.

• Options

@derryb said:

One thing I just realized is that the uncs easily sold out 275K with a HHL of 25. These keep popping in and out of sell-out with a HLL of 5. These are going to be instant sell-outs at 12:01 on 11/10, if they don't sell out on 11/9, given the lower mintage and the fact that people are now limited to 5 per account.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I canceled my 5 set subscription last week. They’re still available on a subscription right now. They have been available every time that I’ve checked in the past week. Too much outlay for a possible small gain. I’m not a fan of the laser etching that the mint has been using either.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2023 7:35PM

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    I canceled my 5 set subscription last week. They’re still available on a subscription right now. They have been available every time that I’ve checked in the past week. Too much outlay for a possible small gain. I’m not a fan of the laser etching that the mint has been using either.

Good move. Buy 'em because you like 'em. Not in the hope of a big quick flip, with a mintage of 250K, or out of FOMO based on whether or not they are available.

They WILL sell out, but will not be going for 2x issue price raw the week after. If the only reason you'd want them is to make a quick score, don't bother, since you don't seem to otherwise be a fan. The fact that they will likely be unavailable on 11/10 shouldn't mean anything to you, since you're not a fan and there won't be a decent flip, even when they sell out, since RP 70 sets will still be available for around $350.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    I’m not a fan of the laser etching that the mint has been using either.

I'm not, either, which is why I like the RPs. The laser etching is only in the fields. :)

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:
    They don’t pay shipping.

No. By then, they will be a Day 2 buyer in quantity, if they don't sell out on Day 1, and won't need to pay a 10% premium to anyone. So I'm quite sure the offer will be off the table by then, either because the market will be higher than $205 per set or because they will be available in quantity at $185.

If they are not paying shipping, it's kind of a stupid offer, given the shipping and insurance costs involved. Not to mention all the hassle and risk involved to make far less than $100 on a $925 investment.

You’re very wrong. Not when you lock in a PO now.

• Options

There are more buyers than just one.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 8:55AM

@coiner said:

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:
    They don’t pay shipping.

You’re very wrong. Not when you lock in a PO now.

Wrong about what? About small dealers wanting to get more than they can get from friends and family? I'm not disputing that, as evidenced by the existence of the offers.

Wrong about a $100 premium on a $925 outlay being insufficient, when I am responsible for shipping and insurance, and have the risk, no matter how small, of the dealer later reneging, even with a "locked in PO"? No, I'm not, because that is individual to each of us.

Ton of squeeze for a tiny drop of juice as far as I'm concerned. I'm a buyer because I'm a fan, and think they are going to be winners, although not instant home runs. But, if I was looking for a flip, a $20 profit per set, when I am responsible for getting them intact to the buyer, would be insufficient to motivate me to pull out my credit card. Of course, YMMV.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

PH would never reneg unless there was a court action. i have zero fear of a bk.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    PH would never reneg unless there was a court action. i have zero fear of a bk.

With all due respect, there is ALWAYS a non-zero chance. A lot of very smart people thought there was a zero chance of a BK at FTX too. And Silicon Valley Bank, Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, etc. Things happen. Not a huge chance. Also not a lot of upside, at $100 before costs, for a $925 investment. Hard pass.

• Options

It’s called quantity. In small quantities not worth it. In quantities of several hundred then it becomes a nice return.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2023 6:25PM

@coiner said:
    It’s called quantity. In small quantities not worth it. In quantities of several hundred then it becomes a nice return.

Thanks for explaining that to me. The HHL is 5, which correlates to $100. If it's so easy to circumvent that limit, in what you describe as "quantity" (several hundred), why isn't the buyer doing that and saving themselves the 10% premium they are offering?

In fact, why isn't the buyer in the bulk buyer program if that's the "quantity" we are talking about? Bulk buyers are buying these direct at a discount. They are not paying 10% premiums.

No one buying at retail is dealing in the quantities you are suggesting, so it's a 10% return, before costs, on relatively modest "quantities." It would be interesting for people not wanting the coins for themselves if the buyer paid for shipping and accepted all risk involved in the shipment. Otherwise, no, it's not worth $20 per set, before costs, regardless of whether we are talking about 5 sets or 20, when I have to lay out almost $200 per set, and assume all costs and risks of delivery and ultimate payment.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You can't simply join the bulk buyer program. You have to qualify based on PRIOR years' purchases.
    2. Bulk buyers cannot circumvent HHLs.
    3. ABPP buyers are the only ones who can buy in advance of retail buyers. They have a HIGHER sales volume requirement than bulk buyers.
    4. ABPP buyers pay a 5% PREMIUM AND have to pay to pick up the coins themselves.
    5. 10% is 10%. But in absolute terms, making $75 net for slapping a new shipping label on a box is a pretty good rate of return for many people.

YMMV

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to cancel my subscription of 1. To me, it’s not worth the price.

• Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@coiner said:

Several hundred not necessary but certainly need a quantity to make it worth using their shipping label. It's $40 or $60. They use Fedex which will not cover these if you use your own label even with insurance but PH uses private insurance so you will be covered when Fedex ultimately loses or misdelivers. Side note, my neighbors have been making out well lately.
    USPS will cover loss if sent registered which PH does not have time for and UPS (may be wrong) will not cover for loss even if insured.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2023 9:20AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    1. You can't simply join the bulk buyer program. You have to qualify based on PRIOR years' purchases.
    2. Bulk buyers cannot circumvent HHLs.
    3. ABPP buyers are the only ones who can buy in advance of retail buyers. They have a HIGHER sales volume requirement than bulk buyers.
    4. ABPP buyers pay a 5% PREMIUM AND have to pay to pick up the coins themselves.
    5. 10% is 10%. But in absolute terms, making $75 net for slapping a new shipping label on a box is a pretty good rate of return for many people.

YMMV

You are mixing apples and oranges here, just to argue. Regarding qualifications, the implication is that any dealer seeking literally hundreds of a $200 item would qualify. If not, not, but then these guys might not be serious, in which case worrying about their ability to pay $205, hundreds and hundreds of times can legitimately be called into question. My whole point in responding to the original post was that these guys are likely not that big, that they'd be part of the bulk buyer program if they were, that they are not looking to buy hundreds of sets, and that none of us at retail could possibly obtain that many sets because, if we could, they could too.

Beyond that, you have engaged in misdirection to make irrelevant points. Bulk buyers, by definition, circumvent HHLs by buying in bulk, so what are you even trying to say there?

ABPP is a subset of the bulk buying program. Yes, they are the biggest of the big, and they pay a premium,because the coins require additional distribution and chain of custody procedures, and because they then are worth more to the dealers in the marketplace. But that's not what we are talking about, so why even mention it, other than to show everyone that you know stuff? We are talking about buying large quantities, at retail plus 10%. Not being a mega-large dealer who has access to the Advance Release program.

Finally, no, $75, if that's what it ends up being after sending a box of 5 sets, insured, isn't that great a return on a $1,000 investment for a lot of people, given the risks of non delivery and having to chase an insurance payment, or simple non-payment from the buyer. If you think it's so great, knock yourself out, as I'm sure others will. But I'd never engage in anything like this, regardless of the offer, if the dealer was not big enough to send me a prepaid shipping label and accept all risk from the time the box left my hands.

• Options
    SqueekstyleSqueekstyle Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2023 1:51PM

Cancelling from 3 down to 1, just not seeing it this time. I hope my one doesn't come mangled.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Are you getting any offers on BST - even low ball ones?

I have some "Family Member" orders - and I'm wondering if it may be worth flipping or just cancelling those other orders.

BST references available on request

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ran the numbers today for sending in a RP set to NGC/PCGS. With the initial cost from the mint it would be $306 for NGC and $307 (which includes the s/h fees to and from) for PCGS (with the FS/ER labels or what ever my submission qualified for. Still i have no guarantee that the set would grade at &) and may be stuck with 69 graded coins. Still trying to think through this puzzle. I may just pre-order off the internet or on BST if I can find a better price than what i have already found. The best price that I have found is on eBay for just under $330.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Subscription available right now for anyone interested.....

• Options
    Ridley06Ridley06 Posts: 21 ✭✭

Does pressing the inactive button cancels my order, or is there a cancel button I'm not seeing?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridley06 said:
    Does pressing the inactive button cancels my order, or is there a cancel button I'm not seeing?

Inactive button will do it.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2023 4:36AM

Deleted, meant to post to high relief gold thread.

As you were.

πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will sell out this year. Next year they should be pretty cheap. Mint is going for a glut on the marketplace it appears.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2023 7:00AM

@fathom said:
    They will sell out this year. Next year they should be pretty cheap. Mint is going for a glut on the marketplace it appears.

Not the Mint is not going for a glut. If they were, they could sell a LOT more, at a somewhat lower price. Maximizing their profit while literally selling as many coins as the market could absorb. Right up to selling millions at a modest premium to spot.

What the Mint IS doing, however, is trying to match supply to demand at the collector premium collectors are willing to pay. Not creating a bonanza for us by selling 100K when the market can easily absorb 250K. And not flooding the market with as many as possible. What happens next year will be determined by future demand. But, for now, these will sell out at 250K, and will hold their value at $185 per set.

The 2021 Peace Dollars seem to have done okay, two years later, at 200K, even though the Mint produced a 2023 version. Do you have an explanation for that? A lot of people collect by date, so repeatedly producing something every year does not necessarily create a glut. Just sayin'.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Extremeengineer said:

for these, it's best to buy these already graded and in-person, or with high res pictures of the actual coins.

most, but not 100%, mint products are money losers. buy it because you like it, not because it will make you money.

The 2006 20th Anniv Gold 3 coin set .. graded still 3x mint price in 69s... 2020 Gold privy ...xxx+...

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2023 9:30AM

@bestday
    Those are too extreme outlier examples as one off years. The 2020 Gold privy was a one year very low mintage that sold out in 90 seconds...

The 2006 20th Anniv Gold 3 coin set .. graded still 3x mint price in 69s... 2020 Gold privy ...xxx+...

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @bestday
    Those are too extreme outlier examples as one off years. The 2020 Gold privy was a one year very low mintage that sold out in 90 seconds...

True. The more relevant examples are the 2021 coins, all of which are holding their values, even if they are off from the 2021 peaks. Time will tell whether these have legs, but it's not crazy to think that 250K of the first ever RPs will be fine, even if they won't be 2020 gold privys.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @bestday

How about the 2008 rev 2007 Silver Eagles... buying from US Mint at $29.95 .... in less than 10 coins batches = monster gains.... they are still holding today Even the 20th 2006 Silver Eagle 3 coin set is still double the Mint price ..Featured here too!!!!!!
    Gold Bully gets my vote as Official US Mint thread master

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

Hey bestday, where have you been? Good to hear from you. You brought a smile to my face. 😁

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2023 11:35AM

@bestday
    We can give examples in both directions all day... And, I did not say that it could not happen, I have my own example:

2021D Morgan Silver Dollar from da mint $85, graded by our host $85, Came back MS70, Priceless! (not quite by nice return!)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are subscriptions available now.

One thing I notice is the presales and advanced PR70 offerings like FDOI and First Strike almost never are Gold Shield and so they do not have True View photos. I sort of like the photos, usually, and so I plan to send a few of these in for grading for that reason.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @bestday
    We can give examples in both directions all day... And, I did not say that it could not happen, I have my own example:

2021D Morgan Silver Dollar from da mint $85, graded by our host $85, Came back MS70, Priceless! (not quite by nice return!)

Couple years ago ,the Mint wised up ..saw the money being on their products in after market,, jacked up both mintages & price

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@bestday said:

Hey bestday, where have you been? Good to hear from you. You brought a smile to my face. 😁

Busy ..was Lurking .. now back to more frequent visits .. looking good still...thanks

• Options
    edited October 30, 2023 5:06PM

@bestday said:

@Joe_360 said:
    @bestday

Couple years ago ,the Mint wised up ..saw the money being on their products in after market,, jacked up both mintages & price

Which is exactly what they should be doing. Producing to demand, without flooding the market, at prices that capture the bulk of the value for the US Treasury, while hopefully having the products retain their value in the secondary market.

Not to under produce, or under price, in such a way as to create a feeding frenzy or lottery for the lucky few, allowing scalpers, or flippers, to just pocket money that would otherwise go to the entity creating the value (the Mint). Ultimately, the market sets the price, based on supply and demand. But there is no good reason that price should not be realized by US taxpayers, rather than by gamers using bots, or by people with 20 friends and family Mint accounts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file