Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2023 Morgan & Peace Dollar Two Coin Reverse Proof Set Thread****

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I doubt I'd get my coins before the 9'th even though my CC has already been charged, I don't think they're in the mail yet. I'm watching to see who posts one first.....who do you think gets theirs first?? I'm guessing @Goldbully or maybe @RichR

Doubtful, I'm still in processing.....but thanks for thinking of the guy with the useless Mint Director's Strike COA.

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@USMC_6115 said:
    Is there an online way to cancel an order for these if they haven't shipped yet? Mine is in "Processing" and I have since changed my mind. I know I can simply return them, but would rather end the process now.

I'm guessing I'll have to call CS tomorrow..

Pretty sure you will be told they can't stop the order and you will have to return them

I already called today with that same question. You cannot cancel, but you can return the order within 7 days of receipt of the coins. One thing I didn't realize though. If you ordered more than 1 set in a single order, you can return some of the sets. You do not have to return the entire order.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:
    Is there an online way to cancel an order for these if they haven't shipped yet? Mine is in "Processing" and I have since changed my mind. I know I can simply return them, but would rather end the process now.

Nope. Once they go to processing you can no longer cancel.

• Options

Is it possible that the fulfillment service is prepackaging, and getting labels printed and set up for what looks like another big drop. Imagine how much better the on sale day orders will go if they aren't trying to handle subscription orders at the same time. Anyone can buy a label without ACTUALLY shipping a product.

Maybe the Mint is just getting it together...

Did anyone get a coin yet? Pictures of them in hand prior to the on sale date?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually not surprised that coins DID NOT ship prior to the actual online sales this Thursday...that would have been quite a departure from past Mint practices!

• Options

@Jsmiith said:
    Is it possible that the fulfillment service is prepackaging, and getting labels printed and set up for what looks like another big drop. Imagine how much better the on sale day orders will go if they aren't trying to handle subscription orders at the same time. Anyone can buy a label without ACTUALLY shipping a product.

The Mint's not getting anything together. Someone just screwed up and jumped the gun. Yes, they can certainly stage orders for shipment. But that doesn't mean to have to transmit information to UPS nearly a week ahead of time.

Given how much of the mintage now goes to subscriptions and bulk orders, the ~10% left to be sold on the day of release does not have to adversely impact anything, and there is no law that says that orders placed on 11/9 have to be shipped on 11/9. So, no, this was not intentional in order to clear the decks for immediately shipping the ~10% reserved for sale on 11/9.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Release dates are important. I used to work in radio and we'd get albums before their "release date" with strict orders not to air anything until that date. You could listen yourself, but had to wait to play it on the air.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have your sets by the strike of midnight on the 9'th!

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 5:49AM

Looked at my order of two that I added to subscriptions yesterday over and above my original subscription of three that are still in processing. The 2 that I added as a subscription now are listed as shipped.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@Jsmiith said:

The Mint's not getting anything together. Someone just screwed up and jumped the gun. Yes, they can certainly stage orders for shipment. But that doesn't mean to have to transmit information to UPS nearly a week ahead of time.

Given how much of the mintage now goes to subscriptions and bulk orders, the ~10% left to be sold on the day of release does not have to adversely impact anything, and there is no law that says that orders placed on 11/9 have to be shipped on 11/9. So, no, this was not intentional in order to clear the decks for immediately shipping the ~10% reserved for sale on 11/9.

You can't print UPS shipping labels without the information going to UPS.

• Options

I'm sure tens of thousands of boxes are all packed up with labels attached and ready to be pushed out the door tomorrow...and not before.

I come back to the unmitigated s+++storm if coins were released/delivered early and an error was discovered. And Mint employees are not into taking those kinds of risks!

• Options
    edited November 8, 2023 7:32AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@Jsmiith said:

You can't print UPS shipping labels without the information going to UPS.

Correct. But transmitting information to them is not the same as handing off the package. I get items all the time where a tracking number and label are created almost immediately, but an item is not actually in UPS' hands for up to a few days later. Remember, large shippers have the ability to do this themselves. UPS is not the party creating the label.

In this case, I believe they DID mistakenly hand off the package, which is why people were given delivery dates. I think the fulfillment center then realized its mistake and told UPS it could not deliver before the 9th, which is why the delivery dates went to TBD midway through. At least in my experience, I have never seen a delivery date until the item was actually in transit, rather than awaiting pickup by UPS.

• Options

It looks like the mint is requiring signatures on packages over $600. Maybe that's what some of the mix up is?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/customer-service/shipping.html

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody predicting a sellout tomorrow? And at what time? I have a feeling this one is a sellout by 12:30 est. At that point a lot of people will realize they missed the US Mint hit of 2023! Whatever happens I’m looking forward to getting them.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 3:50PM

emails show "estimated" delivery date based on type of service and date label was printed. Tracking will show label printed and awaiting receipt of item. When received tracking will show "scheduled" delivery date. Note: subject to change.

The devil is in the details >:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with several hours. if it's not done by 8pm, then sometime after the hhl is lifted

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the HHL is lifted.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that they are still available by subscription today with free shipping is not a good sign for a sellout tomorrow without free shipping.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 11:37AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    The fact that they are still available by subscription today with free shipping is not a good sign for a sellout tomorrow without free shipping.

Subscription available today is for the 2024 release.

Source: https://catalog.usmint.gov/morgan-and-peace-dollar-two-coin-reverse-proof-set-subscription-NL.html

Edited to add screenshot.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Subscription available today is for the 2024 release. Link

Missed that! My apologies!😎

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMC_6115 said:

The US Mint site states that a subscription/payment can be canceled only if done by 11:59 3 days prior to the release date. You need to call CS and it may very well be to late to cancel the subscription order. :/

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

People are truly apathetic, lazy or call it what you may. I think some people like the hassle or excitement of ordering the day the issue goes on sale! They are going to get their excitement tomorrow with this set when the website crashes.

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

People are truly apathetic, lazy or call it what you may. I think some people like the hassle or excitement of ordering the day the issue goes on sale! They are going to get their excitement tomorrow with this set when the website crashes.

Website crashes are a thing of the past. Now they have the waiting room.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

@USMC_6115 said:

The US Mint site states that a subscription/payment can be canceled only if done by 11:59 3 days prior to the release date. You need to call CS and it may very well be to late to cancel the subscription order. :/

Not a big deal, thanks. I'll just unload them at a later date. No worries :)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still processing

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Update: now showing as shipped

• Options
    ArkieArkie Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Update: now showing as shipped

Same... via USPS. But USPS has it as Label Created and not in system yet.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Reverse Proofs have a been a collector's favorit> @Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@NJCoin said:

@Joe_360 said:
    The Coin Vault is less, $399.98 for the same, NGC PR70 1st day of issue...

This is actually a very good deal for TV, given that street prices are around $330-350. The RCTV price is more in line with what I'd expect for TV.

Don't forget, while we all think it's a ripoff, TV is a very expensive way to sell anything. Coins are not an exception.

The margins, at either $400 or $480, are actually a lot less than for a large dealer selling on the web or through eBay for $350, when you take into account buying airtime, paying hosts, and production costs, in addition to all the other inventory and shipping costs any other dealer has.

Of course, they make it up in volume, so no one needs to cry for the TV guys. But no one should think they are gouging with their prices. Not on things like this. They are selling into a different market than the one that shops at a coin show, or with their favorite dealer on the web, and the TV distribution model is expensive.

Exactly right. Yes, their prices are often comparably “high,” but the costs involved in a television production are massive. Not a defense. Just fact. But remember if they weren’t making profits they wouldn’t keep doing it.

Not always ..RCTV was selling circulated Walker halves for $42 ..$1 face.. saying great investment..

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting room is running. Should sell out today. :)

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add to bag is available...

• Options

but wait time was < the 3 mins it quoted me

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 orders shipped and the 3rd is still processing.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

ship notice received on sub

• Options

One shipped one processing

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Coveted by collectors" So much excitement....I didn't see the waiting room, the doors are just open.

• Options

Everything has shipped here too...

They must have literally been loaded onto pallots ready to go!

• Options

One tracking number for my initial subscription and the other 2 I added on another subscription still says shipped with no tracking number

• Options

Still available

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Still available

Never a good sign. LOL

• Options

250,000 is not a lot so I was expecting approx an hour and they would be gone. Wrong again, seems to always be that way when I think I know what will happen.

• Options

After reviewing some of the comments, I noticed that some people were either modifying their subscription preferences or canceling their orders altogether. Now, two hours after official release, these are open for purchase by anyone. I'm curious about why there is a subscription option available when they can be purchased outright.

Furthermore, I've taken notice that these coins only contain 0.859 troy ounces. I'm wondering why the up-charge, at least make them a full troy ounce. Additionally, more of these are scheduled to release in the 2024 calendar year why should there be any urgency to purchase 2023

I apologize if these are basic questions; I'm new here :smile:

• Options

@Chattermonkey said:
    After reviewing some of the comments, I noticed that some people were either modifying their subscription preferences or canceling their orders altogether. Now, two hours after official release, these are open for purchase by anyone. I'm curious about why there is a subscription option available when they can be purchased outright.

Furthermore, I've taken notice that these coins only contain 0.859 troy ounces. I'm wondering why the up-charge, at least make them a full troy ounce. Additionally, more of these are scheduled to release in the 2024 calendar year why should there be any urgency to purchase 2023

I apologize if these are basic questions; I'm new here :smile:

With a subscription you get free shipping

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

It almost seems that with the new subscription program that demand has lowered. But that might just be me in my little PCGS forum bubble. No one is fighting in line and showing order numbers of achievement like the good ole days. We can now collectively watch and judge and have an idea how much demand there is before release day when previously you did not know until after they were released.

• Options

What happened to the stockLevel/availableCount tags in the source? Is there still a way to track the inventory?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file