Home Sports Talk
Options

2022 College Football thread

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Good job Florida. You don’t need that in your program.

He was........... singing a song. They rescinded his scholarship for singing along to a song. You think they would do the same if the song had been "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was not my intent to come across as a sore looser as I did not see the game. Unfortunately, I missed the Big Ten network replay-if there was one- not sure they have film rights as the game was on ABC.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll ask a question that nobody seems willing to ask: Why does it seem to be a foregone conclusion that Georgia will be in the playoff whether they win or lose the SEC championship game??

• Options

Two fold answer- they should win the SEC championship game but if they somehow stumble... a one loss Ga team will get in but at a different position. I suspect the better question is what happens if it it just the Big Ten and SEC? FTR, I am not predicting that outcome but stranger things have happened

• Options

Although I'd be happy if Ohio State lost but still got in I don't think they should and neither should the loser of the SEC title game. One bite at the apple is all anyone should get. Also, and I know nobody will agree, if LSU somehow beats Georgia I don't believe that qualifies them, either. The committee has manipulated the poll with convoluted reasoning to pretty much assure that at least one SEC team gets in while also pretty much ensuring that neither Clemson or Oregon has a chance.

It's a rigged system.

Strangely, my cable gets shut-off on December 7th, so unless I go somewhere I won't be watching.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question would be, who would you have as a favorite over Georgia, and would you bet on them?

• Options

@Bullsitter said: My question would be, who would you have as a favorite over Georgia, and would you bet on them?

Georgia is just as likely to lose to ANYONE as everyone else. Sure, they have a stout defense and are undefeated but last week showed they're "human" just like every other team last week, but nobody talks about it. They scored one TD and three FG's against a team who is now 6-5, hardly what you expect out of a powerhouse consensus top team.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 11:47PM

@Maywood said:

I'll ask a question that nobody seems willing to ask: Why does it seem to be a foregone conclusion that Georgia will be in the playoff whether they win or lose the SEC championship game??

ESPN has to push their product. ESPN is NOT supposed to be homer hacks, but they've always have been since they signed the first Contract with that Conference 20 plus years ago.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Seven Michigan State players face criminal charges stemming from the postgame altercation with a Michigan player Oct. 29.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056626-7-msu-football-players-facing-criminal-charges-stemming-from-michigan-tunnel-fight

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Florida State beats sec power Florida.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Best part of Ohio State vs. Michigan today --- the announcer is Gus Johnson!!! B)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

So does Michigan come up with enough offense to compete with Ohio state?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 7:46AM

Ledunce thinks this game is all about him.

“Ohio native lebron James said he wanted to make sure the buckeyes had stylish footwear for the big game, so he provided specially designed nike cleats stamped with his logo. “

What a relief, now Ohio state won’t have to take up a collection to provide shoes for their players.

• Options

@Darin said: So does Michigan come up with enough offense to compete with Ohio state?

To me, the running backs on both sides of the field are the key to this game.

For Ohio State, both TreVeyon Henderson and Miyan Williams have been banged up. Henderson has been listed as "out" for the game. After Williams, the Buckeyes have freshman Dallan Hayden who is sort of an unknown quantity although his time played has shown promise.

With Michigan, it's harder to tell because Harbaugh has been quite close-mouthed about his RB status. Both Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards are listed as "dressing" for the game but what does that mean?? I don't expect Edwards to play much, if at all, and Corum will probably start but be watched closely. He is a dynamic player but has shown a tendency to be tackled easily. The key for Corum is to avoid contact.

Past the running game it is clear the advantage is to Ohio State. Michigan QB Cade McNamara will be on an island if Corum can't go and probably needs to have the game of his life for Michigan to win.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2022 12:23PM

I am now hoping for a Zion Williamson incident and they sue LeDouche

@Darin said:
    Ledunce thinks this game is all about him.

“Ohio native lebron James said he wanted to make sure the buckeyes had stylish footwear for the big game, so he provided specially designed nike cleats stamped with his logo. “

What a relief, now Ohio state won’t have to take up a collection to provide shoes for their players.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Goodbye, Ohio State. A complete loss in all phases. Poor offensive scheme, poor defensive scheme and poor play with too many penalties at all the wrong times. Welcome to an invitation to the Toilet Bowl.

• Options

This game went from discouraging to a "laugher" and an indictment on Ryan Day and his much touted choice of Jim Knowles as Defensive Coordinator who was going to change things at Ohio State.

• Options

OH MY !!!!!

To be continued......... :p

• Options
    edited November 26, 2022 2:10PM

Michigan wanted it more.

Bring back Urban.

Maybe South Carolina should be in the playoffs lol.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited November 26, 2022 3:13PM

@Maywood said:

Past the running game it is clear the advantage is to Ohio State. Michigan QB Cade McNamara will be on an island if Corum can't go and probably needs to have the game of his life for Michigan to win.

Cade McNamara hasn't been the starter since week 1.

• Options

What a win for Michigan. Corum barely plays, Mccarthy completes 50% of his passes - and Michigan wins by 3 touchdowns.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that was it for Ohio States Championship season run.................. Amazing how they fell apart in the 2nd half.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Sadly Michigan will likely play Purdue instead of facing an opponent that they did not beat the first time...

• Options

@Tabe, my bad with getting the Mc's confused.

Scoring plays of 69 --- 75 --- 45 --- 75 --- 85 yards accounts for 349 yards on five plays!!! That's staggering and nothing I can remember ever seeing. Ryan Day and Jim Knowles should be ashamed of themselves and the players need to really search themselves to find out what's going on with the team. After a showing like that in such a game they should drop out of the top 10 and any meaningful bowl game appearance would be a joke.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

I agree.

Way to go Gamecocks, beating the Tigers in their backyard 31-30 and dashing their hopes to make playoffs

Proud parent of a U of SC Sophomore (and my cousin is a professor at Clemson) :smiley:

https://sports.yahoo.com/clemsons-college-football-playoff-hopes-dashed-by-rival-south-carolina-in-31-30-loss-205021896.html

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@coolstanley said:

I agree.

Way to go Gamecocks, beating the Tigers in their backyard 31-30 and dashing their hopes to make playoffs

Proud parent of a U of SC Sophomore (and my cousin is a professor at Clemson) :smiley:

https://sports.yahoo.com/clemsons-college-football-playoff-hopes-dashed-by-rival-south-carolina-in-31-30-loss-205021896.html

I would vote for Shane Beamer for Coach of the year in the SEC.

• Options

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

But how many coaches have a brother that coaches in the NFL that advises the younger brother for college games?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

The week of upsets

LSU out of the playoffs.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. TCU
    4. USC
    5. Bama
    6. OSU :p
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the feeling all season that Michigan was better than Ohio State. Now we know.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many here would LOVE to see USC finally have to travel in a very meaningful Bowl game.

Please finish #4 for us Troy.

You then get to play in the Peach Bowl in Atlanta Georgia. 1 vs 4

Georgia will beat LSU.
    Yes, Bama should be ranked ahead of a one loss tOSU.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 5:50AM

This guy wants a win over Me-Chicken

• Options

The moral of the story is simply to be carful what you write... you might be struck by lightning

• Options

@coinkat said:
    The moral of the story is simply to be carful what you write... you might be struck by lightning

How is one “carful” about what they write ? 😂

You might be struck by another car instead 😉

• Options
    1. Georgia.
    2. Michigan.
    3. TCU.
    4. USC.
    5. Alabama.
    6. Tennessee.
    7. Oregon.
    8. Penn State.
    9. Clemson.
    10. Ohio State.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2022 8:34AM

After the gaXe, ESPN said soXe of the OSU players were coXplaining about their new cleats. Said the new cleats slowed theX down, #35 said his got stuck several tiXes.

:p:p:p:p:p

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 8:02AM

OSU down 34-17 in the 4th quarter.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2022 1:15PM

If everyone wins next week besides TCU then we get

USC vs Me-Chicken

tOSU vs . The Dawgs

That would be awesome 😎

Unless TCU loses by a point. Then they could be #4.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 2:13PM

@Goldenage said:
    If everyone wins next week besides TCU then we get

USC vs Me-Chicken

tOSU vs . The Dawgs

That would be awesome 😎

Unless TCU loses by a point. Then they could be #4.

Even with an injured QB Utah is no slouch. That's no automatic win for U$C. In fact, FWIW, Utah is favored by 3.5.

• Options

Both the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll place Ohio State at number five which seems very, very generous to me.

• Options

So....................I read where the Michigan players planted a flag or two after yesterday's game. I understand the excitement and all but I don't think they really needed to give the Buckeye's any more incentive for the game next year. When Mayfield and mates did that it was one thing, not the same rivalry and no game looming in the future. This is different, and I can only imagine how it'll be next season as "the game" approaches.

Ah, the exuberance of youth!! :D

• Options

@Goldenage

You might have missed my earlier post about the Big Ten West and what needed to happen for Illinois to play in the championship game

• Options

@Maywood said:
    So....................I read where the Michigan players planted a flag or two after yesterday's game. I understand the excitement and all but I don't think they really needed to give the Buckeye's any more incentive for the game next year. When Mayfield and mates did that it was one thing, not the same rivalry and no game looming in the future. This is different, and I can only imagine how it'll be next season as "the game" approaches.

Ah, the exuberance of youth!! :D

Yep, they'll wish they hadn't done that.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

here's a novel idea: if you don't want the enemy to plant their flag on your turf, then don't allow them to kick your asses all over the place in the biggest game of the year. Ohio State had a year's worth of motivation to avenge last year's defeat and prevent this very thing from happening again............not sure i'd be too concerned with incentivizing them

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35116073

• Options

FPI Predictor has Ohio State making the playoffs at 88%.

My current top 10

Georgia
    Michigan
    TCU
    Ohio State
    USC
    Penn State
    Washington
    Clemson
    Tennessee
    Alabama

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

If OSU somehow makes the playoffs they should decline the offer and volunteer for perhaps the Alamo Bowl'. After that performance there is no way in hell they deserve a bid to the playoffs. I'm afraid Ryan Day does not understand The Game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said: I'm afraid Ryan Day does not understand The Game.

I would think he might understand it a little better today than he did before Saturday. And remember, Jim Harbaugh didn't "understand" the game for five years.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

OSU down 34-17 in the 4th quarter.

The Oregon coach should be fired for going for it on 4th down on what their own 25?

Caleb Williams for the Heisman

He is way better than Ohio State and Alabama QB's

• Options

@Brick said:
    If OSU somehow makes the playoffs they should decline the offer and volunteer for perhaps the Alamo Bowl'. After that performance there is no way in hell they deserve a bid to the playoffs. I'm afraid Ryan Day does not understand The Game.

Georgia didn't decline the invitation last year after getting thumped by Bama by 3 scores.

Ignore list -Basebal21