Home Sports Talk
Options

2022 College Football thread

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Season starts this weekend, Week zero. Labor day weekend is officially week 1 with the full schedule of games.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to it!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohio State vs Rutgers this weekend, game of the week......c'mon man.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEC-Big 10 pre chat

During chat

After chat

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Carlin once referred to Hockey as Football on skates with sticks, that picture depicts it well.

• Options

We will get to see how good UCLA really is this friday as they play #18 Washington. USC might be a bit overranked as it took a last minute TD to beat Oregon State.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Bullsitter said: Ohio State vs Rutgers this weekend, game of the week......c'mon man.

The Big 10 hypes Rutgers as where Football started, you'd think they'd have a better team than they have. I can't be the only person who thinks of Rugby whenever I hear Rutgers, can I?? :o I think there's hope. Maryland joined the Big 10 right around the same time and their recruiting and program has improved recently, maybe that will rub off on Rutgers but not this season, they'll be lucky to play .500.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    We will get to see how good UCLA really is this friday as they play #18 Washington. USC might be a bit overranked as it took a last minute TD to beat Oregon State.

I am a UCLA fan but the schedule to date has been by far the softest early season schedule EVER for them. Not one good team scheduled for non-conference. Embarrassing really. Sadly I don't think the Bruins are very good.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody has mentioned Jaydyn Ott
    274 yes,,, true freshman.

Have a nice day
  • Options

UCLA looked good tonight with a win over #15 Washington. They move to 5-0.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

We are excited in Vegas as UNLV is in first place in the MWC! Baby steps....

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Illinois at Wisconsin today. Should be a low scoring game. I suspect whoever scores 20 wins- provided there are no significant turnovers

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

1 Georgia on upset alert in the 3rd quarter.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Bama survived another thriller. They have undefeated Tennessee next Saturday.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 5:07AM

@coolstanley said:
    Bama survived another thriller. They have undefeated Tennessee next Saturday.

They were without their heismann trophy guy. A&M always gives them fits.

• Options

The Alabama game provides the "judges" with an interesting dilemma and choice: Should they remove Alabama as the number one team?? The reasoning for moving Georgia out and Alabama in at number one was due to the "uninspiring way Georgia was winning" or some such nonsense. After yesterday, what do they do now?? The top teams won rather easily while the new number one squeaked by unconvincingly.

It just solidifies the argument for an expanded playoff.

• Options

If Bama doesn't have Bryce back for the Tennessee game, they'll get beat. Tenn has had this game circled since last year. We have beat them 15 years in a row and they are hungry for a win. It will be crazy loud. We need Bryce.

1. Georgia
    2. OSU
    3. Bama
    4. USC.............for this week.

I bumped Bama down because of qb play, if they beat Tenn they go back to #1

• Options

Polls at this stage are nothing more than a WPA styled project to keep sportswriters that have nothing to do employed.

Moving beyond that, I see the SEC as the best conference from top to bottom... and this year it is not even close. College Football needs conference challenges just like what the Big Ten and ACC have been doing for 20 plus years. End the crap with all the conference re-alignments and schedule decent non conference schedules.

• Options

I dont see any evidence that the sec is the best conference. Alabama could easily have 2 losses right now, and Georgia almost lost to Missouri.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 4:23AM

SEC has 6 teams ranked, there's your evidence..... B)
    BIG 12 has 5.
    PAC 10 has 4.
    ACC has 4.
    BIG 10 has 4.

The top 4 teams have played at least one ranked opponent.......except OSU.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 6:32AM

@coolstanley said:
    I dont see any evidence that the sec is the best conference. Alabama could easily have 2 losses right now, and Georgia almost lost to Missouri.

Forgive me, but this is the silliest statement I’ve read here in a while.

Bama has no losses. Neither does Georgia.

OSU has had no close games because they keep playing cream puff U.

Where does Georgia’s beat down on Oregon come in ? OSU has no impressive win like that.

• Options

It’s a joke that OSU has only one tough game this year. At PSU.

USC and UT are 3 and 7 point dogs this weekend.

I’ll take Bama and Utah.

• Options

--- The Polls are sort of ridiculous because the voters are ranking teams with no real evidence from head-to-head games. They also don't really give a representation from playing other ranked teams in the first half of the season as often a top 10 team will fall to the bottom of the Poll(or even out of the top 25) by seasons end.
    --- The scheduling is problematic, also, because it's done 3-4-5 years in advance. A top 10 team can be scheduled for 2026 and when the game finally gets played they are in the midst of a 6-7 season. It works the same within a conference where very few teams are consistently at the top of the heap.

Maybe the best example of all this is the LSU Tigers: in 2019-2020 they won the National Championship with the Heisman Trophy winner at QB. Since then they've been 5-5, 6-7 and are currently an unranked 4-2. That's pretty typical of how it goes everywhere as some random voters decide what order Georgia/Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State finish the season in and who will play who.

Despite all the biased posturing, @coinkat really said it best --- Polls at this stage are nothing more than a WPA styled project to keep sportswriters that have nothing to do employed. I know I must sound like a broken record, but until there's some meaningful scheduling changes and inter-conference play by all teams we are stuck with a stupid way of discovering who's best.

• Options

Cool Stanley-

How do you feel about the PAC being that Georgia played a tough game against mid SEC Missouri but beat the pants off of Oregon ?

• Options

No doubt that Georgia is the superior team but that Oregon game was the first of the season. Since then Oregon has played better and Georgia hasn't really looked as sharp in all their games.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    No doubt that Georgia is the superior team but that Oregon game was the first of the season. Since then Oregon has played better and Georgia hasn't really looked as sharp in all their games.

LOL!

Exactly

Georgia has had to play SEC competition while Oregon feasted on their cream puff conference.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

When top tier teams do not play each other, anyone can interpret data to favor their favorite team. When it comes to the Championship games there is seldom a creampuff for an opponent. Anyone who does not see the SEC as dominant is ignoring the fact that they have won the last three Championships with three different teams. They have won 6 of the last ten. The Big 10 has won 2 of the last 20.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 7:06AM

Florida beat Utah this year and Utah is a favorite against highly ranked USC this weekend.

Florida is struggling in the SEC.

USC is #7 and Florida isn’t in the Top 25 because of their brutal schedule

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 7:23AM

@Brick said:
    When top tier teams do not play each other, anyone can interpret data to favor their favorite team. When it comes to the Championship games there is seldom a creampuff for an opponent. Anyone who does not see the SEC as dominant is ignoring the fact that they have won the last three Championships with three different teams. They have won 6 of the last ten. The Big 10 has won 2 of the last 20.

Well said. Thanks for trying to knock some common sense into them.

• Options

The irony of the current playoff system is that every year there is a team(s) which has lost 1-2 games, is eliminated from the playoffs and who's season is viewed as a failure. In what other sport is an .850 winning percentage viewed as failing??

• Options

Not sure where to start...

I really thought folks here followed games/developments to the point that my comment about the SEC being the best conference would be the least controversial remark I could possibly make... Evidence? Simply watch the games and look at the strength of the entire conference- include Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky and even Mississippi State. Florida and LSU are not bad teams... their lack of traditional success is predicated on the significant strength in other programs. GA and Alabama have the targets on their back- they have to be up for every game mainly because of who they are. As for Mizzou, the have a tradition of playing ranked teams tough for over 50 years- that is who they are. They have upset ND, USC, Nebraska and Oklahoma in various seasons when they were underdogs by three touchdowns.

The toughest gave the Buckeyes will have is against Michigan- not Penn State. OSU is a terrific team but ,the Big Ten is simply not that great. Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State are down... While it is encouraging to see Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue take big steps, those steps just simply don't match what has transpired in the SEC. Hopefully there will be some decent Bowl matchups between these conferences, but one has to be careful what you wish for in view of how this season has unfolded thus far. Could Illinois or Minnesota play in the title game against OSU? While anything seems possible and even plausible at this juncture, it begs the question whether the Buckeyes will have been challenged enough to compete in the playoffs and win a National title.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Maywood said:

LOL!

Exactly

Georgia has had to play SEC competition while Oregon feasted on their cream puff conference.

Georgia almost lost to a bad Missouri team and struggled against Kent State lol. And bama almost lost to a team last week who has 3 losses already.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Maywood said:
    --- The Polls are sort of ridiculous because the voters are ranking teams with no real evidence from head-to-head games. They also don't really give a representation from playing other ranked teams in the first half of the season as often a top 10 team will fall to the bottom of the Poll(or even out of the top 25) by seasons end.
    --- The scheduling is problematic, also, because it's done 3-4-5 years in advance. A top 10 team can be scheduled for 2026 and when the game finally gets played they are in the midst of a 6-7 season. It works the same within a conference where very few teams are consistently at the top of the heap.

Maybe the best example of all this is the LSU Tigers: in 2019-2020 they won the National Championship with the Heisman Trophy winner at QB. Since then they've been 5-5, 6-7 and are currently an unranked 4-2. That's pretty typical of how it goes everywhere as some random voters decide what order Georgia/Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State finish the season in and who will play who.

Despite all the biased posturing, @coinkat really said it best --- Polls at this stage are nothing more than a WPA styled project to keep sportswriters that have nothing to do employed. I know I must sound like a broken record, but until there's some meaningful scheduling changes and inter-conference play by all teams we are stuck with a stupid way of discovering who's best.

Exactly. And the voters are not supposed to rank teams based on previous seasons. So, it really doesnt matter who won the title the year before. sec getting in two teams in a four team playoff sure helps their chances of winning titles. There have been recent yrs where there could've been two BIG TEN teams in the final four, but the BIG ten always gets screwed. The polls are a complete joke and everyone knows it.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited October 12, 2022 3:19AM

OSU trailed Notre Dame 10-7 at halftime, almost lost that game

Marshall beat Notre Dame the next week.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2022 4:25AM

@Bullsitter said:

Marshall beat Notre Dame the next week.

Larry’s message to Ohio State fans.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Um, no, it was ALL Buckeyes in the 2nd half. Notre Dame was held scoreless in the 2nd half.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Um, no, it was ALL Buckeyes in the 2nd half. Notre Dame was held scoreless in the 2nd half.

Glad OSU came back for the win..... :)

• Options
    edited October 13, 2022 5:31AM

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Averaging 1 touchdown per quarter in the 2nd half is “all Buckeyes”. ?

Suggest you visit the Georgia-Oregon score line to see what “all” entails.

• Options

On the one hand you say last season doesn’t matter.

To you this season doesn’t matter either because Georgia has more impressive wins than OSU, but you rank OSU higher.

Lol

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    On the one hand you say last season doesn’t matter.

To you this season doesn’t matter either because Georgia has more impressive wins than OSU, but you rank OSU higher.

Lol

You call the Kent state game and the Missouri game where Georgia trailed the entire game, until 4 mins left in the 4th quarter impressive? Missouri is 2-4 and they lost to a Auburn team that Penn State beat beat 41-12. :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Alabama vs. Tennessee....................what a football game!! I expected it to go into OT and found myself wishing there was some way that neither team could lose.

• Options

• Options

DOWN goes Bama. After all those close games their luck finally ran out :D

The Tennessee, Okla State/TCU, and USC/Utah games were all fantastic games with great finishes.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

There should now be a pretty major reshuffling in the Top 10, especially the bottom five.:
    1 --- Georgia.
    2 --- Ohio State.
    3. --- Michigan.
    4. --- Clemson.
    5. --- Tennessee.
    6. --- Alabama.
    7. ---Mississippi.
    8. --- TCU.
    9. --- UCLA.
    10. --- Oregon.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2022 6:24AM
    1. Georgia
    2. OSU
    3. Michigan
    4. Tennessee
    5. Clemson
    6. TCU
    7. Mississippi
    8. UCLA
    9. Syracuse
    10. Oregon
  • Options

Tennessee vs Georgia in a few weeks. Who wins?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

I think Georgia but I hope Tennessee. That way we'll get to play them again in the SEC Championship in Atlanta.
    They won't have the refs in their back pocket in Atlanta.

• Options

Georgia should be a 7-14 point favorite. I’ll guess 10.

• Options
    Terryoyo2Terryoyo2 Posts: 5
    edited October 17, 2022 12:01PM

Cj stroud is an absolute beast. responded to 2 TD vs Rut with a 6er vs Mich st. the under was only 3.5 as well. i feel like he can hit the over almost every week. only 3 picks this season too, 24 td and 3 int. wow buckeyes going all the way i think

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

I think Georgia but I hope Tennessee. That way we'll get to play them again in the SEC Championship in Atlanta.
    They won't have the refs in their back pocket in Atlanta.

If Bama loses another game they probably wont be playing in the sec champ game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

:)