Home Sports Talk

2022 College Football thread

Comments

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2022 4:55AM

@spacehayduke said:

@coolstanley said:
    When did two sec teams have one loss between two teams? The committee had no choice. Every other team had at least two losses and no TWO LOSS team HAS EVER landed in the top four. So I see no argument here other then the sec homies crying.

Shouldn't matter, in a 4 team playoff, you take 4 conference champions. Period. 12 team playoff will solve the issue at least to some extent.

No argument here. I'm not on the committee so i have no say so :o But this has been going on for years. They dont like two loss teams.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said: They dont like two loss teams.

We will soon get what "they don't like" and maybe real soon, like in 2024-25 or whenever the first season of the newly structured play-off starts(not soon enough for me). My prediction is a two or maybe even three loss team being in it and surprising some people.

Ohio State has gone 8-2 as an underdog since 2012, including three College Football Playoff wins.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Ohio State has gone 8-2 as an underdog since 2012, including three College Football Playoff wins.

They’ve gone 2-10-2 against the SEC elite and have been embarrassed in some of those.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Congrats.

edited December 12, 2022 9:20AM

I'll await @Bullsitter opening the "excuse file cabinet" but most of these games between Ohio State and the SEC tend to be played in a venue which favors the SEC. The one coming up is ridiculous, it's actually a home game for Georgia. Back when there was no play-off and the Big 10 champion had a commitment to the Rose Bowl, well, it was usually a home game for the opponent then, typically UCLA/USC/Stanford.

I say we start having bowl games up north, playing in the weather has a certain romanticism to it, all the snow, cold fresh air and that nice hard ground to play on. Yeah, that's the ticket!!

BTW, I don't think it really matters where the game vs. Georgia is played.

@Maywood said:
    I'll await @Bullsitter opening the "excuse file cabinet" but most of these games between Ohio State and the SEC tend to be played in a venue which favors the SEC. The one coming up is ridiculous, it's actually a home game for Georgia. Back when there was no play-off and the Big 10 champion had a commitment to the Rose Bowl, well, it was usually a home game for the opponent then, typically UCLA/USC/Stanford.

I say we start having bowl games up north, playing in the weather has a certain romanticism to it, all the snow, cold fresh air and that nice hard ground to play on. Yeah, that's the ticket!!

The sec fans never mention these facts. I wonder why? :|

Ignore list -Basebal21

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

Yup, you can't get any further north than Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton (home of the Esks in CFL). Here is a nice Nov. 2021 pic with -15C temps set up for a World cup qualifier bt Canada and Mexico. This is why CFL plays in the summer BTW. Love to see the SEC play in the BCS championship in January up there when it is even colder - we used to typically have highs of -25C in Jan when I lived up there, great for mountain biking and xc skiing, guaranteed to make a team from the Gulf shrivel up (LOL)..................

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@coolstanley said:

@Maywood said:

The sec fans never mention these facts. I wonder why? :|

Because it’s silly.

From warm and sunny to cold and snowy. From LA to Buffalo.

Sincerely
    OJ Simpson

When you’re great you can play in any weather.

@spacehayduke said:

@Maywood said:

Yup, you can't get any further north than Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton (home of the Esks in CFL). Here is a nice Nov. 2021 pic with -15C temps set up for a World cup qualifier bt Canada and Mexico. This is why CFL plays in the summer BTW. Love to see the SEC play in the BCS championship in January up there when it is even colder - we used to typically have highs of -25C in Jan when I lived up there, great for mountain biking and xc skiing, guaranteed to make a team from the Gulf shrivel up (LOL)..................

SEC QB Bart Starr won in the Ice Bowl. Didn’t bother him. He played great. Alabama or Green Bay. Doesn’t matter.

Starr tossed 2 TDS. No picks.

edited December 13, 2022 5:13AM

When was the last time an SEC team played Ohio State in Columbus?? I think Ohio State at home vs. SEC is 15-2-1.

@Maywood said:
    When was the last time an SEC team played Ohio State in Columbus?? I think Ohio State at home vs. SEC is 15-2-1.

Are you saying 2-10-2 state can’t play well in good weather ?

Is that the excuse ?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the weather plays as important a role in the game as recruiting. Top recruits from warm weather states may not want to go North to the snow and wind but many from the North may want to go South and play in pleasant weather.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited December 13, 2022 4:51PM

@Brick said:
    I don't think the weather plays as important a role in the game as recruiting. Top recruits from warm weather states may not want to go North to the snow and wind but many from the North may want to go South and play in pleasant weather.

Bama has 14 players from the northern states. One is from Dayton Ohio, Eli Brown, a 4-star TE.
    Our two best OL players are from CT and Wisconsin.

Early signing one week away, top 10 teams as of today.

@Goldenage said:

SEC QB Bart Starr won in the Ice Bowl. Didn’t bother him. He played great. Alabama or Green Bay. Doesn’t matter.

We are not talking a half century ago, we are talking now, things would be different for sure and it would matter.

edited December 13, 2022 12:38PM

@Bullsitter, do you think the early signings and commitments to schools are as important today as 10-15 years ago?? Ever since they started with the "transfer portal" or whatever it's called it seems commitments and signings have become less binding and affects programs less. I now believe that the transfers influence programs more than the actual signings.

edited December 14, 2022 2:04PM

Yes, I do. Do I agree with the way the NIL and transfer portal is working, no.

On the transfer portal the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. I'll use Bama as an example.
    In 2021, Bama had 18 transfers and brought 3 in. The 18 for Bama were not starters, the 3 that came in will be in the NFL soon. Got rid of 18, took 3 and made room for more scholarships.

2022, we have 13 transferring so far this year, only 2 of those saw much playing time. So far, Saban hasn't said a word about incoming transfers. He is waiting until the early signing period is over which is 12-21. I have heard transfer rumors on QB, OL, DL and TE.

We're sitting on 25 recruits as of now, with a few more to add. You have to recruit harder today than past years. You have to recruit next year's player and keep recruiting your current players or Texas AM will buy 'em.

Today's college player wants the money and a path to the NFL asap, I don't blame them. Just need rules that are fair to all teams and players if that's possible.

They did get the 12-team playoff right.

UCLA along with USC are now BIG TEN teams.

Ignore list -Basebal21

I expect the BIG Championship game to become a real challenge to the East Champion.

Ralph

Alabama beats Ohio when last play falls short......24-20, Bahama Bowl.

Las Vegas bowl

Sec power Florida - 3 Oregon State - 30

Ignore list -Basebal21

SEC only cares about important regular and postseason games.

Florida beat Utah when it counted.

Disagree. Bowl games count towards the final AP and Coaches poll rankings.

Ignore list -Basebal21

You guys would argue about whether the sun was up or not!!

@Maywood said:

He likes to make excuses for sec losses.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Maywood said:

What’s your excuse for this loss ?

edited December 18, 2022 10:30AM

What’s your excuse for this loss ?

Word on the street is he's going to Nebraska for more NIL $$$$.

edited December 18, 2022 10:50AM

B)

He probably figures his chances of playing are better as a Cornhusker, thus he has a better chance of being drafted and playing in the NFL. Figuring into that is that if he was at Ohio State he'd be riding the pine-pony.

The bigger question for @Goldenage is why he chose Ohio State over all those SEC schools not once but twice??

I know, I know, I know....... >:)

@Maywood said:

I will be happy for him if he beats Georgia. I know how excited he will be after years of frustration against the SEC big boys.

I will pray for him if it’s a beat down. Those are never fun.

Good luck cool !

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

FCS Championship game is all set for Frisco TX. Perennial FCS superpower North Dakota State University vs South Dakota State University. Battle of the Dakotas will take home the trophy January 8th. GO BISON!

edited December 18, 2022 1:37PM

@Maywood said:

He probably figures his chances of playing are better as a Cornhusker, thus he has a better chance of being drafted and playing in the NFL. Figuring into that is that if he was at Ohio State he'd be riding the pine-pony.

The bigger question is why he chose Ohio State over all those SEC schools not once but twice??

The word on the street is that he watched about 10 minutes of SEC defensive film and decided for OSU and the Big10... ;)

BTW....When does OSU head to Georgia?

BTW....When does OSU head to Georgia?

That's a question for the Ohio State homers, I have no idea and probably won't even be watching.

'dem Beavs!

More good news out of Oregon, Da Ducks will be highly ranked next year and they will have a Heisman Trophy candidate. Bo Nix was probably the best qb in NCAAF this year until he hurt his ankle and Da Ducks then lost 2 close games to rivals. Hoping for a healthy Nix next year, yipeeee! Only thing standing in their way next year? Dem Beavs! Good time to be a Beav and a Duck.

QB Bo Nix returning to Oregon for 2023 season

link: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35282072/qb-bo-nix-returning-oregon-2023-season

@spacehayduke said:
    'dem Beavs!

They kicked some sec ass.

Ignore list -Basebal21

While at Auburn he earned this,

This is the beloved flag tOSU fans will be bringing to Atlanta.

It represents the chances the Buckeyes have and the total points they should accumulate.

edited December 20, 2022 2:52AM

.> @Goldenage said:

This is the beloved flag tOSU fans will be bringing to Atlanta.

It represents the chances the Buckeyes have and the total points they should accumulate.

Where's your team?

Ignore list -Basebal21

Trivia. NAME THE ONLY ONE LOSS DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION TEAM WHO GOT DENIED OF A PLAYOFF BIRTH?

Ignore list -Basebal21

That was a disgusting miscarriage of justice. Absolutely no question they should have been in. Had a good chance to repeat.

Ralph

@coolstanley said:
    Trivia. NAME THE ONLY ONE LOSS DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPION TEAM WHO GOT DENIED OF A PLAYOFF BIRTH?

Nonconference schedule was very weak and MSU beat them.

Trivia question, who won the Natty that year?

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Nonconference schedule was very weak and MSU beat them.

Trivia question, who won the Natty that year?

So? Ole Miss beat Bama that year, and if not for a fluke Arkansas play against Ole Miss, Bama wouldv'e been out of the playoffs. 2015 is known for the year of the fluke play.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

2015 is known for the year of the fluke play.
    Got a link for that statement, never heard that until this morning..... B)

It's colder than a mother-in-laws kiss in Georgia.
    I'm glad the big game will be inside the Georgia Dome.

Another sec team goes down in the bowl game.

Wake Forest - 27
    sec power Missouri - 17

Missouri almost beat Georgia.

Ignore list -Basebal21

2022 is known as the Year of the Cold Bowls..... B)