Home Sports Talk

2022 College Football thread

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

A football game is measured by 60 minutes... one does not pick and choose the time to write that the game was not even close until it ends. The fat lady did not sing when TCU was ahead 41-22... or when USC was ahead of Wisconsin 42-14 in the 1963 Rosebowl.

Michigan lost but they made to the playoffs once again. Harbaugh is doing an excellent job- For those that always have to bitch about something... you have much less to bitch about since he has been the head coach at Michigan.

Ohio State lost... but few even thought they were going to win anyway. They gave the fans and the network a reason to stay tuned in- I would rather not kick teams when they are down. Both teams belonged there and it seems nothing short of winning would satisfy those that simply are unable to understand that the game is set up now to the point that someone has to loose. And with a loss should come a level of respect for the effort undertaken to win... Sadly expectations fail to recognize that the final score does not measure what goes into a game such as this... To kick Ohio State at this moment is simply shameful.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 9:56AM

@coinkat said:

To kick Ohio State at this moment is simply shameful.

But it's okay to kick Bama fan after a loss????

Sadly sportsmanship like so much else seems to be on the decline which is unfortunate. I am not responsible for the actions of others

I looked to be certain I was not one of the two that hit LOL and apparently someone else was.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 1:45PM

Top 2 teams from the Big 10 east.

Lost

Top 2 teams from the Big 10 west.

Lost

0-4 for their top 4 teams.

Michigan and Ohio State need tougher schedules. Purdue, Illinois and the rest too. Period.

Not fair that other conferences play tough regular season non-conference games and they don’t.

edited January 2, 2023 2:03PM

Top 4 teams from the SEC.
    UGA, LSU, Bama, UT

4-0

About to be 5-0.

They scored 3 major blowouts against others conferences champs or runners up in 3 meetings.

In all fairness, there were really sad and unusual circumstances surrounding the Illinois - Mississippi State game. Not quite the game folks anticipated. But that really does not change the narrative... SEC is the best conference

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

i don't care who you are, this is damn funny

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s going to have to be a heck of a game to beat the Cotton Bowl between USC and Tulane.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

One game left.

CONFERENCE (BOWL TEAMS) RECORD WINNING PERCENTAGE
    AMERICAN (7) 4-3 .571
    ACC (9) 5-4 .556
    BIG 12 (8) 2-6 .333
    BIG TEN (9) 4-4 .500
    C-USA (6) 3-3 .500
    INDEPENDENTS (5) 3-2 .600
    MAC (6) 4-2 .667
    MOUNTAIN WEST (7) 3-4 .429
    PAC-12 (7) 3-3 .500
    SEC (11) 6-5 .545
    SUN BELT (7) 3-4 .429

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    UGA, LSU, Bama, UT

4-0

About to be 5-0.

All games played in sec country :|

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    One game left.

CONFERENCE (BOWL TEAMS) RECORD WINNING PERCENTAGE
    AMERICAN (7) 4-3 .571
    ACC (9) 5-4 .556
    BIG 12 (8) 2-6 .333
    BIG TEN (9) 4-4 .500
    C-USA (6) 3-3 .500
    INDEPENDENTS (5) 3-2 .600
    MAC (6) 4-2 .667
    MOUNTAIN WEST (7) 3-4 .429
    PAC-12 (7) 3-3 .500
    SEC (11) 6-5 .545
    SUN BELT (7) 3-4 .429

Two of the Pac-12's loses came from the traitors, UCLAW and Moo Ess See, that are bailing for the soon to be Big-16. Marketing aside, both heavily underperformed in their bowl games against lesser ranked opponents. Big-16 getting some schools on the left coast that will be more jet lagged given their consistently longer away travel times, and thus easier to beat, and they get the SoCal market in return - it is all about money and the two traitor schools were duped LOL and the Big-16 big schools, UWis, UMich, and Ohio State get a win-win here. HST, we will see if Utah can beat PSU in the Rose Bowl, not looking good so far......... Cameron Rising looks fallen so far in this game.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@Goldenage said:
    UGA, LSU, Bama, UT

4-0

About to be 5-0.

They scored 3 major blowouts against others conferences champs or runners up in 3 meetings.

As noted above, the SEC wins all came in SEC country. Let's put them in other regions and play the same opponents? Then maybe we are talking if they still win all of the games, LOL. But SEC teams won't venture out of SEC country if possible and the big boys who run the NCAAF always provide them this advantage.

That is a bold prediction about 5-0 given how TCU played in the semis. We will see. That is why the play the game, Sure the Bulldoggies are favored but so was UMich............. So..........................

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:
    UGA, LSU, Bama, UT

4-0

About to be 5-0.

All teams are invited to play. If you don't want to play, opt out, it's easy.

edited January 2, 2023 6:05PM

Lord have mercy, PAC12 fan already adding jet lag as an excuse, That didn't take long, have they even made the schedule :*

Penn State is easily a top 5 or 6 team. If they hold on the Big Ten and SEC will finish the bowl season with almost the same record.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Its hilarious that sec fans like goldenage claim the sec is so much better than the other conferences, when the BIG TEN's 2nd best team loses to the SEC's best team by a whopping 1 point in the SEC's teams backyard :s

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:
    UGA, LSU, Bama, UT

4-0

About to be 5-0.

If this is true, then explain how in Ohio State’s two most important games this year they played better in SEC country against the best team in the country then they did at home against a team that got embarrassed by TCU ?

@coolstanley said:
    Its hilarious that sec fans like goldenage claim the sec is so much better than the other conferences, when the BIG TEN's 2nd best team loses to the SEC's best team by a whopping 1 point in the SEC's teams backyard :s

It’s sad when Ohio State considers close losses some sort of victory.

That’s where that program is at a national level, where if they just lose by less than a touchdown it’s a victory.

Sad

edited January 3, 2023 1:56AM

Better luck next year tOSU.

Until then be proud that Iowa beat Kentucky.

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

That’s where that program is at a national level, where if they just lose by less than a touchdown it’s a victory.

Sad

Why cant you just admit that Georgia had an unfair advantage playing in their backyard? cmon man.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Goldenage said:

Purdue were missing all their star players including their elite quarerback. Also their head coach was gone. NO ONE on the planet picked Purdue to win that game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

Sad

Why cant you just admit that Georgia had an unfair advantage playing in their backyard? cmon man.

Did Ohio State have an unfair advantage playing Michigan at home this year ?

C’mon man

edited January 3, 2023 3:41AM

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

Sad

C’mon man

Yes Buckeyes did but you cant win them all. First time in 22 years they lost at home to Michigan. So thanks for proving my point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited January 3, 2023 4:44AM

*** Playoff games only ***

Georgia had an advantage playing in Georgia, no doubt. Being the #1 seed, they got first choice on where to play and they chose Atlanta. That's the way the rules were set up.

Well, they need to change the rules where you can't play a playoff game in your home state. The CFP Committee should assign where the teams play. TCU and Michigan should have played in Atlanta and Georgia and OSU in Glendale. Georgia shouldn't have been allowed to play in Atlanta but that's on the CFP Committee.

Change the rules on the CFP, it would be easy to do, and fair to all.

Roll Tide !!

edited January 3, 2023 5:25AM

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@coolstanley said:

Sad

C’mon man

Yes Buckeyes did but you cant win them all. First time in 22 years they lost at home to Michigan. So thanks for proving my point.

Wrong.

Ohio State owns Michigan.
    Suggest you research the last 20 years of OSU-Michigan basketball to see that home field had little to do with results.

Georgia earned the right to choose.

But we live in a world today where everyone should get a trophy now or it’s not fair.

A bunch of “it’s not fair “ crybabies in this world today.

Truth

edited January 3, 2023 5:13AM

I’ll leave you all to yourselves now.

You can all cry and wine amongst each other.

What kind of cheese do you like with your wine ? Cheddar ?

Real men make it fair; they don't take advantage of unfair rules that will help them,

@Bullsitter said:
    Real men make it fair; they don't take advantage of unfair rules that will help them,

Nebraska beat Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and the Hurricanes in Miami to win the title.

Vince Young beat Reggie Bush and USC in the Rose Bowl for the title for Texas.

These teams had real men. They beat them on the field.

You all make excuses.

They just went out and won.

My kind of people.

SEC Championship game has been held in Atlanta since 1994.
    Bama is 9-3 in those games, 3-0 against Georgia. They just went out and won, my kind of people.

In those 3 games against Georgia, it was clearly a home field advantage for Georgia. I know because I watched the games and could hear it. I also heard from other fans that were at the games, advantage GEORGIA.

Bobby Bowden built FSU on

“We’ll go play anybody, anywhere, anytime.”

My kind of coach/man.

Silencing the home crowd is a great accomplishment.

Bowden didn’t care about fair.

@Goldenage said:
    Bobby Bowden built FSU on

“We’ll go play anybody, anywhere, anytime.”

My kind of coach/man.

Silencing the home crowd is a great accomplishment.

Bowden didn’t care about fair.

That's a great point.
    I don't know what came over me thinking that Georgia had home field advantage. What was I thinking?

@Bullsitter said:
    Lord have mercy, PAC12 fan already adding jet lag as an excuse, That didn't take long, have they even made the schedule :*

Well no. Just for the traitors that will no longer be in the Pac-12. They will be cannon fodder in the Big-16 with all of the extra travel that gives the opponents a slight edge. That is all you need in sports, a fraction of a % of an edge, this is well understood by most LOL. Why do you think most pro teams have a hard time on the road????????????

@Bullsitter said:

You mean like Brady when he deflated the football to cheat?

@spacehayduke said:

@Bullsitter said:

Well no. Just for the traitors that will no longer be in the Pac-12. They will be cannon fodder in the Big-16 with all of the extra travel that gives the opponents a slight edge. That is all you need in sports, a fraction of a % of an edge, this is well understood by most LOL. Why do you think most pro teams have a hard time on the road????????????

That's a great point.

@spacehayduke said:

@Bullsitter said:

That's a great point, thanks for sharing.

Another controversial playoff loss for the Buckeyes. That game reminded me of 2019 Clemson game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

Coolstanley,
    There is no controversy, they lost with the game in their hands. Couldn't get it done when it counted on the biggest stage which is basically a microcosm of the B10 in the CFPs. B10 is 1-7 in their last eight CFP games, pathetic...honestly the committee should have stopped inviting them.

The CFP format change will definitely help the B10 as it is clear they just don't do a good job preparing for these playoff games with 3-4 weeks of lead time. Getting to play an inferior team first and less down time before the CFP semifinals should allow the B10 teams to stop losing every time.

Funny thing is, if the SEC was 1-7 in their last 8 CFP games instead of 10-0 in their last ten CFP semifinals, you would be shouting about how unfair it was that SEC kept being invited back and had more than one team in the CFP. When the SEC had two teams invited, both teams made it to the finals both times it happened. When the B10 has two teams invited, they both lose.

Robb

My preseason Top 5 for 2023.

1- Iowa. (Beat SEC powerhouse Kentucky in bowl game)

2- Wash. St. ( Beat unbeatable UF)

3- Purdue ( they only lose when half their team is missing)

4- Northwestern ( when the wind dies down next year they will be unstoppable)

5- Wisconsin ( they make great cheese)

edited January 4, 2023 11:26AM

My top conferences for 2022.

1- pac 12

No CFP bowl losses

2- Big 10

Outstanding bowl performance by their top four teams

3- ACC

4- Big 12

5- SEC

It’s not fair. They get special treatment.

edited January 5, 2023 1:36AM

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,
    There is no controversy, they lost with the game in their hands. Couldn't get it done when it counted on the biggest stage which is basically a microcosm of the B10 in the CFPs. B10 is 1-7 in their last eight CFP games, pathetic...honestly the committee should have stopped inviting them.

Oh boy why is it always up to me to school you BIG TEN haters lol?

How many of those playoff games were played in Big Ten country? The Big Ten always has the biggest disadvantage when it comes to location of these games.

Why just mention the last eight games? The Buckeyes have won 3 playoff games and could've won 2 more if they didn't have to play against the refs as well as the opposing teams.

No controversy? I guess you didn't watch the game. The only time you make a comment in this 'college football' thread is when you are bashing the Big ten.

In the 2019 game against Clemson the refs were quick to call and throw out Shawn Wade for targeting on much less of a hit then the hit the Georgia defender put on Marvin Harrison. But of course that call went against Ohio State as well and it was a game changer because before Harrison got knocked out of the game, The Buckeyes were in control.

If you think the committee should stop inviting BIG Ten teams, then I ask you what teams should they invite?

Should they just make it ALL 4 SEC teams that get in and just call it a SEC National Championship? Its the ONLY Conference that has had alot of success in the playoffs.

It only took 9 years for a BIG 12 Team to finally win one game and that team is this years TCU team.

Only one ACC team has won playoff games(Clemson)

Only one PAC 12 team has won playoff games, and that was clear back in 2014(Oregon)

But, for some strange reason, you only want to come on here and bash the BIG TEN. You should think twice before you post something, so maybe you can stop embarrassing yourself ;)

Ignore list -Basebal21

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all the talk about the Ohio State vs. Georgia game it was really quite close statistically and came down to one thing: the last play of the game which was a Field Goal attempt.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Bullsitter said:

When did that happen?

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

For the record, he's accused of giving burgers to recruits.

edited January 8, 2023 7:13AM

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

For the record, he's accused of giving burgers to recruits.

He misled ( lied to ) the NCAA when approached with the allegations.

That’s level 1

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

North Dakota State vs South Dakota State for the FCS Championship today

@Goldenage said:

And Penn State winning the most Prestigious bowl game and thumping Auburn.

BIG and SEC had almost the same bowl record this season.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK - Georgia 2023 - Boring - Now we wait till next season..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"