Home Sports Talk

2022 College Football thread

Comments

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2022 4:46AM

Guaranteed rate bowl. Former Ohio State and Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell gets the win in his first game as the Badgers coach.

Wisconsin - 24
    Oklahoma State - 17

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited December 28, 2022 8:56PM

Anyone see the Kansas vs Arkansas game? Kansas was getting drilled. Then all of a sudden Kansas scores 18 points in the 4th quarter and ended up losing in 3 overtimes 55-53.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Taxact Texas bowl

Texas Tech spanks sec power Ole Miss 42 - 25

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

South Carolina over Notre Dame today?

What do you college guys think?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Anyone see the Kansas vs Arkansas game? Kansas was getting drilled. Then all of a sudden Kansas scores 18 points in the 4th quarter and ended up losing in 3 overtimes 55-53.

I saw it, disappointing that KU came back 25 points down just to lose in overtime

New York Pinstripe bowl at Yankee stadium

Minnesota - 28
    Syracuse - 20

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2022 9:29AM

I was thinking, what if Michigan and osu end up in the Championship game.

Has Michigan ever beat osu twice in one season?

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2022 3:12PM

Since the conferences don't like to play each other during the regular season we're left to the Bowl Season to give us some type of idea as to relative strength of each conference vs. the others, better than a bunch of media pundits, committees or chat-room weenies like us saying who's best. Thus far the results are interesting and should finish, for all intents, after this long weekend. The Championship Game really just tells us who the best team is, not the best conference.

Here are the results through yesterday:

CONFERENCE (BOWL TEAMS) RECORD WINNING PERCENTAGE
    AMERICAN (7) 3-3 .500
    ACC (9) 4-3 .571
    BIG 12 (8) 1-5 .167
    BIG TEN (9) 3-0 1.000
    C-USA (6) 3-3 .500 --- done.
    INDEPENDENTS (5) 2-2 .500
    MAC (6) 3-2 .600
    MOUNTAIN WEST (7) 3-3 .500
    PAC-12 (7) 3-1 .750
    SEC (11) 1-3 .250
    SUN BELT (7) 3-4 .429 --- done.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the best of my recollection OSU and UM have never played twice in the same season

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

BIG TEN gets another win on the road. Maryland upsets #23 North Carolina State in North Carolina.

Notre Dame wins in the South in a high scoring game against sec power #19 South Carolina in the Gator bowl 45-38.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup Pac 12 is holding their own in bowls although U-CLAW lost today, serves them right the traitors, so now Pac-12 is 3-2, and they might end up 3-4 if Mew Ess See and Utah lose. Big-12 embarrasses itself and that should continue with TCU. Only KSU has a chance for a 2nd win for them although they have a tough road if Alabama plays up to expectations. SEC is not dominating top to bottom in the bowl games. But, HST, Alabama, LSU, Georgia and looks like Tennessee is on the way, so...............

Should of been Utah and Clemson in the playoffs, they won their respective conference championship games, NOT TCU and OSU who did not. What a farce as I have said b4.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@spacehayduke said:

Should of been Utah and Clemson in the playoffs, they won their respective conference championship games, NOT TCU and OSU who did not. What a farce as I have said b4.

Thank God Clemson didn't get in they are looking awful tonight against Tennessee.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@spacehayduke said:

Thank God Clemson didn't get in they are looking awful tonight against Tennessee.

Well that is true but maybe it tells us that Tennessee is a pretty darn good team and not far off from Georgia in quality. But my take is that only conf championship game winners should be in a 4 team playoff and let the chips fall where they may. The expanded playoffs will rectify this to some degree.

ESPN is an SEC homer.
    They have osu playing Georgia in the last game of the day.
    That means osu fans have to wait all day and night to get their rumps kicked.

edited December 31, 2022 6:13PM

Bowl Update:

CONFERENCE (BOWL TEAMS) RECORD WINNING PERCENTAGE
    AMERICAN (7) 3-3 .500
    ACC (9) 5-4 .556 --- done.
    BIG 12 (8) 2-6 .250 --- done with TCU in the Championship Game next week.
    BIG TEN (9) 4-1 1.000
    C-USA (6) 3-3 .500 --- done.
    INDEPENDENTS (5) 3-2 .600 --- done.
    MAC (6) 4-2 .667 --- done.
    MOUNTAIN WEST (7) 3-4 .429 --- done.
    PAC-12 (7) 3-2 .600
    SEC (11) 3-5 .375
    SUN BELT (7) 3-4 .429 --- done.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 3:26PM

I think that the Michigan coach took stupid pills before this game. His play calling is awful (trick play on fourth and goal on the 2 yard line????) and a run on third and four.

Michigan is choking big time. Talk about throwing the season away.

Michigan is dead meat in this game. They choke when it counts, and the defense is collapsing.

How did this team take Ohio State apart. They just have nothing going.

Looks like it’s going to be TCU and Georgia. I can’t see Ohio State beating the Bulldogs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Iowa destroys sec power Kentucky 21-0 in the music city bowl.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

TCU came to play

One thing I don't get about some teams in these Bowl games --- players opt out to prepare for the NFL Draft!!!! How is it that these players get a free ride for 5-6 years and then walk-out on their team and teammates in what might be the biggest games of the NCAA career?? It's like the ultimate form of selfishness.

TCU slaps Big10 champ Michigan upside their head, makes 'em like it.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOOM! Just like that Harbaugh went from a Saint for beating Ohio State to a Bum for having no defense against TCU. (Turnovers killed them)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

So far so good for Ohio State - but I still think it's gonna end up like this....

21-7.......I hope it ends 61-7
    I'm tired of Stetson.
    I'm tired of Kirby.

We're about to step out for a few hours so I'll miss the rest of if....Go OSU (I'm serious).

These two games are turning out to be Barn-Burners!!

Into the 3rd, OSU 35, Gee or gee ah 24................

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Iowa destroys sec power Kentucky 21-0 in the music city bowl.

You have a weird definition of "power". They were 3-5 in their conference. And they've been over .500 in the conference twice in the last two decades.

Michigan flat gave away the game against TCU. Two pick-6s, twice not scoring inside the 5, etc. Credit to TCU for doing exactly what needed to be done.

Looks like it’s going to be two upsets.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@Tabe said:
    Michigan flat gave away the game against TCU. Two pick-6s, twice not scoring inside the 5, etc. Credit to TCU for doing exactly what needed to be done.

Yes, the players failed and the coach failed for Michigan. Why run a gadget play on the two yard line when you are supposed to have the best offense line?

I> @BillJones said:

Looks like it’s going to be two upsets.

Whoa now ,

38 - 35.

Two really good, well played games with deserving winners. It'll be Georgia vs. TCU for the title!!

Great game. Buckeyes should've won. And hats off to the Georgia defenders who kept laying down on the field to stop their momentum.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

Queue the whining from OSU fans now that they have lost yet again in the CFP.

In the last 8 CFPs B10 teams are 1-7. Not sure why they keep getting invited back when it is clear the best teams in the B10 can't beat the best teams in the country. The B10 just doesn't belong in the conversation when it comes to the best teams in the country.

Michigan got exposed, just another overrated B10 team. They never seem to show up when it matters. At least OSU played well but couldn't get it done when it counted. But no worries, Maryland beating NC State matters just as much as the undefeated B10 champion getting whooped in the CFP semifinals and the 2nd best team in the B10 blowing an 11 point lead with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. At least when the SEC gets two teams invited to the dance they show that they belong there.

Bowl games are mostly meaningless when played between teams that aren't in the top 3 or 4 of their conference. Why anyone would think how a 7-6 SEC doormat plays against a 7-5 ACC (or whatever) doormat matters is beyond me.

Robb

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

TCU early line is +13.5.Frogs as Dog vs. Dogs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@fergie23 said:

In the last 8 CFPs B10 teams are 1-7. Not sure why they keep getting invited back when it is clear the best teams in the B10 can't beat the best teams in the country. The B10 just doesn't belong in the conversation when it comes to the best teams in the country.

Michigan got exposed, just another overrated B10 team. They never seem to show up when it matters. At least OSU played well but couldn't get it done when it counted. But no worries, Maryland beating NC State matters just as much as the undefeated B10 champion getting whooped in the CFP semifinals and the 2nd best team in the B10 blowing an 11 point lead with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. At least when the SEC gets two teams invited to the dance they show that they belong there.

Bowl games are mostly meaningless when played between teams that aren't in the top 3 or 4 of their conference. Why anyone would think how a 7-6 SEC doormat plays against a 7-5 ACC (or whatever) doormat matters is beyond me.

Robb

And who's your team? Both playoff games today could've gone either way. Buckeyes were about 2 close calls away from winning. They had Georgia on the ropes in Georgia's backyard. How many playoff games are played in Ohio or Michigan?
    You can't honestly say that Michigan Or Ohio State didn't belong in the final four. Get a clue. And bowl games count in the final polls.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Weird take.

Losing by 6 is getting "exposed" and not showing up? They scored 45 points, lol. If they'd showed up, would they have scored 80?

Losing by 1 to #1 in what was essentially a home game for #1 means the B1G doesn't belong in the conversation for best teams? If that's true, what does it say about Georgia that they only won by a missed FG - basically at home - to a team missing their two best receivers who got lit up by Michigan?

Yep, the B1G teams lost. But saying they didn't belong or didn't show up is just false.

edited January 1, 2023 5:28AM

Two great games. I feel bad for OSU and Michigan. All four teams left it on the field.

They need to change where the playoff games are played. There's no way OSU should have had to play in Georgia.
    Georgia also gets to play the SEC Championship Game at home. Cool Stan is right about that.

The refs, what can I say, they were from the PAC12.

Like I said, I feel bad for almost all OSU and Michigan fans and anything I say will be directed to Cool only... ;)

To be continued..... >:)

Oops, almost forgot, Bama would have beat Georgia.

I can understand how fans feel vindicated when their favorite team wins but I can't figure out how some interpret what happened in the games. Words like whining/overrated/exposed don't describe the games that were played yesterday or anyone's reaction to them. Sounds more like coming from a drive-by to make trouble.

After those two games it'll be hard for Georgia and TCU to come up with a better championship game but I bet they do.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

It was 41-22 and TCU let down their guard for 4 plays. The game wasn't close.

OSU played well but they choked when it mattered and couldn't get the job done unfortunately.

There is a constant refrain of the SEC is overrated here, yet the SEC is the only conference that shows up to play in the CFP every time. B10 is 1-7 in their last 8 CFP games, that is flat out awful. The SEC is 10-0 in CFP semifinals in the last 8 years, that is pure domination. Granted, it is annoying to see middling SEC teams that start of 4-0 or 6-1 against inferior competition get ranked in the top 20 before they play the meat of their schedule, knowing full well they are going to get trounced by the top SEC teams. Of course, the same happens to whoever leads the B10 West. But the reality is, the best SEC teams are better than everyone else and they prove it every year in the CFPs. With the expanded CFPs, I think the B10 will have a chance to get used to the playoff atmosphere and stop sucking so bad in the big games. Getting to play a lesser team after an extended break and get their feet wet (basically what the CFP semifinals are to the SEC teams) will only help OSU and Michigan going forward .

I don't root for any college football team in particular, I think big time college athletes are actually professional athletes and don't represent colleges at all. The biggest mockery of college is that the football and basketball coaches are the highest paid employees of almost every major college, that is a sad joke and representative of how colleges have failed in the last 50 years.

Robb

Wow.

I've been messing with Georgia fans all morning telling them it's not fair to have the playoff games in your own sandbox.

More than one said, Atlanta is not Athens.... :p ....... You can't make this stuff up.

edited January 1, 2023 1:48PM

@fergie23 said:
    It was 41-22 and TCU let down their guard for 4 plays. The game wasn't close.

"It was totally a blowout if you take away a bunch of plays where the other guys scored!"

Did one team have to make plays defensively at the end to win? Yes? Then the game was close.

OSU played well but they choked when it mattered and couldn't get the job done unfortunately.

I can't help but feel like the game goes differently if Harrison doesn't get knocked out of the game. Or if it wasn't a home game for Georgia.

@Tabe said:

@fergie23 said:

I can't help but feel like the game goes differently if Harrison doesn't get knocked out of the game. Or if it wasn't a home game for Georgia.

Yes, and the kicker choked. Also hurt that both of their star running backs were out with injuries.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited January 1, 2023 7:43PM

The play on Harrison sure looked like textbook "targeting" and it's hard to understand how it wasn't enforced after the review.

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@fergie23 said:

Yes, and the kicker choked. Also hurt that both of their star running backs were out with injuries.

I'll never say missing a 50yd FG is choking, especially in college. That's a 43% play. That's like saying a team chokes by not converting a 3rd & 9.

But, yeah, they had a chance and didn't convert.

@Maywood said:
    The play on Harrison sure looked like textbook "targeting" and it's hard to understand how it wasn't enforced after the review.

I wouldn't say textbook since he didn't drop his head to lead with the crown of the helmet but, yeah, should have been targeting. Game-changing play.

edited January 2, 2023 9:38AM

Penn State vs Utah is going tob e a good one.