Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

@Barberian said:
    I wonder what coin I'm gonna look at today with my coffee?

Believe it or not, it's that crusty AG 55/54 because I just received it. It looks great. I gave it a 10-minute soak in acetone and none of the color was removed, but some scratches and hairlines were exposed, which is typical if they're there. The obverse looks fine. The reverse retains this dark film or stain on the wings. How would PCGS handle this? Could this be restored without dipping the glory out of the coin?

It sure looks great in a Cointain.

Northwestern just beat Illinois in a wild 4th quarter 45-43.

This has been a GREAT Saturday!!! High Five to @1northcoin and CoinRaritiesOnline!

I think the film would have to stay, any attempt to remove it would look noticeably off, IMO. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't straight grade for what it is, if that's your goal.

Thanks. I agree. I'll probably keep it in an Air-Tite and show it to folks at FUN before considering submitting it. I like the look of it but it's not valuable enough for grading. I may anyway; it's a trophy and a memory of a great weekend. Make it two weekends in a row!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

My reverse proofs finally shipped! I’m still waiting for them…

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Christmas music is playing, my better half is making cookies and I’m having a cup of my favorite coffee with gingerbread creamer…which to my surprise is actually good.
    Took out the pre-33 gold box of 20 this morning, which is just basically a 12 piece gold type set and some dupes that I kept after making a few upgrades.
    Enjoy your Saturday!!!

You’ve done very well! A great set of gold! 👍

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Inspired70 WOW. That’s a beautiful Coin. Very nice.

• Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I am trying to recover from the embarrassing Purdue Boilermakers men's basketball performance last night against Northwestern. Tough to win with a 17-3 turnover differential. It's tough being a Purdue bball fan.

So, to make this coin related, I want to post this hammered lincoln close up (not mine) that I've kept in my WOW pic folder:

"WOW!!!" is right. That Lincoln is hammered. I love finding them like that. A rare occurrence.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Inspired70 said:

Spectacular 1862 Dollar buddy. The perfect blend of original color, and hammered strike....a beauty.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP
    The nickel on the top left is counterfeit. Send it to me, and I'll forward you a real one! Even swap :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2023 7:45AM

@DCW If I sent it to you, the other 2 Henning nickels would miss their triplet sibling. I just could not break up a family.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a coin of supreme rarity and if from the USA might be a SEVEN FIGURE COIN. The closest analogy would be if there really was a confirmed 1959 Lincoln WHEAT cent, or possibly the 1913 Liberty Nickel.
    It is the 2009 Great Britain 10 pence, uncirculated and one of two known. It is the with the 2009 date but of the type discontinued in 2008, and has been confirmed by the Royal Mint Museum; there are no proofs or any other presentation variety, so that is it, TWO KNOWN. Next post will show the coin as well as what an "ordinary" 2009 10 pence of the usual variety looks like, then the coin and finally the letter of authentication.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars Cool mule. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roasting time — an ornament that came in the mail yesterday.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch
    gulp
    Everything??

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file