Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Inspired70 said:
    Waited a lot of years to find a CAC 1872-S for my seated dollar collection.

Oh my, my!! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:
    I will not become a Capped Bust Half addict!... I will not become a Capped Bust Half addict!... I will not become a Capped Bust Half addict!... I will not become a Capped Bust Half addict!...

Hahaha! Careful Mark, they are addicting little buggers! Nice '36 O-110 ... looks like it might have a really nice skin and some lovely reverse color.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

JayPem, you should really be more careful with your coins. Handling them like that could result in micro hairlines reducing the value of your coins. ;)

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem I loved scrooge when i was a i. i wish i could fit in my safe and play with my coins too. Ha Ha :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:

The "real deal" or a Machin's Mills? It looks too perfect to be a Machin's Mills.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 7:50PM

That's nice. The Machin's Mills I found at Washington College is in poor condition and off-center such that some of the lettering is cut off. It looks cruder than your coin and much more corroded from being in the ground.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinFacts is your friend!

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Conshyboy said:
    I don't know too much about gold coins, any input would be appreciated, grade, value, mintage to name a few

Nice, clean example of a fairly common quarter eagle. I'd snag that in a second if it was sitting in my LCS case.

Mark

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Conshyboy Your 1912 gold $2.5 appears to be a MS61 or 2 grade but that scratch on the reverse would probably result in a details grade. Check the APMEX website. They list pre-1933 US gold coins both raw and slabbed in various grades and by type to get an idea of retail value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2024 9:42AM

@Conshyboy said:
    I don't know too much about gold coins, any input would be appreciated, grade, value, mintage to name a few

A few green areas maybe an acetone bath would take care of those few spots. I say maybe since I have never used acetone on gold coins. Members here should be able to give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR WOW - What a score. I just finished a box of JFKs. Found some NIFCs and of course the usual rolls of 2021D JKKs. You have a nice weekend and hope you find a couple of nice coins too. :)B):)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR
    May the wounded eagles fly home to you, my friend!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Goodmorning, ladies and gentlemen. Just having a cup before indoor soccer begins.
    Its snowing in Jersey, and Im pondering some military tokens in my collection like this one:

Happy Saturday.

Did somebody say "indoor soccer"? God, I miss that. Grandkids are a year or two away. My playing days are over. :'(

I do have tickets to FC Cincinnati opening day next weekend! :)

Oh, coffee gone.....coins in vault......

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd. You have the best coins!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file