Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:

Okay, I give up. What is that stuff, dried coffee?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Actually, here's an almost newp..
    First and only attempted purchase from (large precious metals exchange), I fell victim to the old stock photo switcheroo.
    The flat white (coffee joke😄) AG slick 1809 that I received instead was hardly worth the shipping and handling..
    Wish this one had actually arrived..

Man, that sucks! yes, that's the coin you wanted and thought you were getting. That particular company is very deceptive in that way, knowing which coin images to use to get someone to bite, and then sending something 'similar". They have no business selling coins that way on eBay and elsewhere. They really should get penalized somehow.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:

@jayPem said:
    Actually, here's an almost newp..
    First and only attempted purchase from (large precious metals exchange), I fell victim to the old stock photo switcheroo.
    The flat white (coffee joke😄) AG slick 1809 that I received instead was hardly worth the shipping and handling..
    Wish this one had actually arrived..

Man, that sucks! yes, that's the coin you wanted and thought you were getting. That particular company is very deceptive in that way, knowing which coin images to use to get someone to bite, and then sending something 'similar". They have no business selling coins that way on eBay and elsewhere. They really should get penalized somehow.

I've seen them list a mislabeled coin (1855/54 50C listed as an 1855) and then charge the overdate price. What assurances does the buyer have if the auctions and coins are labeled improperly that they won't get the ol' switcheroo (send the buyer a normal date rather than the 55/54 shown mislabeled in the auction and priced as a 55/54). I notified a certain precious metals company of this labeling problem and they didn't seem to care.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

The rain cleared, I came back in from a walk, and @Inspired70 posted an inspiration! Lovely coin my friend!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Todd. Who needs coffee with coins like that.....

• Options

@jayPem said:
    I'll post my 14-107a as well!
    It's a great die pair, this one is also currently my best example of crusty gray dirt patina...🤗

Lovely coin Jordy!!

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Coffee - Check
    Coins - Check

Contemplation

Haven't shared this coin much in a long time, but still one of my absolute favorites.

1814 O-107a - PCGS AU58cac
    Condition Census (3rd finest known, highest with CAC)
    A soft platinum-golden-grey patina with patches of russet and aqua-blue graces full cartwheel luster and mark-free surfaces. Affectionately called the "Mouse on Nose" for it's unusual die chip on Liberty's nose. This is the same die pairing that struck the famous 1814 Platinum Half Dollars (Judd-44), and as a later die state from that striking, is also proof that the Judd-44's were struck in 1814 at the Mint, not pieces de caprice, struck elsewhere (or later) from discarded dies.

The day you made the winning bid on that is the the day you met @habaraca and I

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

The day you made the winning bid on that is the the day you met @habaraca and I

Ha! I think you're correct!! I didn't consider that.

And my life has never quite been the same since. Damn, that must be it.

:D:D:p

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    I asked the forum who would buy a cent counterstamped with one’s own initials. It was $48.00 and shipping. I put it on watch hoping that I would get an offer; nope.

Did you get it??
    Definitely a bit steep for a renegade, but could be one of those things that are just rare enough on a personal level to get anyway..😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file