Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saturday morning coffee with coins

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 5:22AM

I live on a copperhead ranch and the snakes feast on the emerging nymphs.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t get enough of this coin - 1982 West African States silver 5,000 CFA (francs)

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Happy Saturday gents!

Wow! Simply Wow!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro
    Would you mind sending me a photo of that paper you referenced? I'd love to read it. Thanks!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

That particular example and paper combo was a 1990's inventory item that Russ saw at the time and was then sold over 25 years ago, possibly in one of my mail auctions (I tend not to warehouse things). I've seen a couple more with paper among the numerous other examples seen since then. (A quick search of the first couple pages of Worth Point listings show at least five examples sold between $12 and $30 without papers in the past few of years - they do show up.)

• Options

@tokenpro
    Thanks. For $12-30 I will buy as many as you can find!
    Please message me with any offers

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Soggy day in Baltimore... but I got these in the mail today... The 1799 was a total impulse buy on ebay. I had been looking for 1799 Draped Bust LCs on Heritage (I need to rejoin :-/), GC, several EAC dealer websites and price lists, etc... and just got discouraged. Even heavily damaged pieces, when you can find one are a bit spendy.

On this 1799 Half Penny, there's microporosity over the entire coin that may not show up in the image and some of the lettering is struck through, but there's enough meat left on it and a bold date.

The 1806 was a complete surprise... The dealer included it with my order! Thanks Jeremy!! (Middledates on ebay) Lower grade and cleaned, but much better surfaces than the one I actually paid for... lol... I'm all in for ~$25

Those are fun! I have the monster two penny piece from 1797. B)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2024 9:15AM

Coffee in hand and reading my coin book. Picked up these 2 Guatemala 1 reales almost half known example are holed (was a cultural thing back then made it easier to transport on rope or sowed into clothing) per Brad Yonaka:

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    1822 O-102 XF45 Queller

So cool!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog

Please post the results of that roll!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that roll still for sale?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

@FlyingAl said:
    @crazyhounddog

Please post the results of that roll!

I most definitely will. I don’t usually buy so called bank rolls. But! I am very familiar with these old Woolworth rolls. That, and I have done some research on these and they came from a bankers vault that passed away. The family sold these rolls to an auction house. This roll, along with a few others came from his vault on long Island New York just recently.

Is it possible to submit the unopened roll to one of the major grading services and request that they put "Woolworth Vault Hoard" on the label? That would be really cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Is it possible to submit the unopened roll to one of the major grading services and request that they put "Woolworth Vault Hoard" on the label? That would be really cool. B)

That would be cool, though an expensive gamble. These could all be circulated common date Peace dollars here. Of course, I'm hoping for ten 1921 matte proofs for our friend.
    Good luck!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same seller has a 20 coin Morgan Woolworth roll ending today on eBay. My guess would be almost all are circulated as this was done in the 1960’s. Roll looks tight & undisturbed.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

@alaura22: just reached a deal with the seller. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:

What if they are mostly cleaned or 1921 coins? You may not get your chicken diner. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall: apologies for the confusion. I was referring to the 1795 post yesterday. I would not buy that roll, but that’s just me.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog
    @alaura22

Look forward to your photos and I agree with @PerryHall I would contact grading companies to see if they would accept the roll and if real label it Woolworth....
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    The same seller has a 20 coin Morgan Woolworth roll ending today on eBay. My guess would be almost all are circulated as this was done in the 1960’s. Roll looks tight & undisturbed.

Not the same seller I bought mine from but the roll came from the same vault. It’s legit. I will post the uncirculated coins when I receive them.
    Thanks

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@rnkmyer1 said:

What if they are mostly cleaned or 1921 coins? You may not get your chicken diner. :D

I’m sure these rolls are legit. I’ll keep you posted.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Update: the Woolworth Morgan roll was ended early by the seller @ the opening bid of $1000.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@crazyhounddog: best of luck with your Woolworth roll!

Copperindian

Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file