Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 7 of 21 (1884-1885)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you all enjoy this next group!

The 1884 is a surprisingly tough date to find with color. PLs are reasonably available but DMPLs are tough. The coin often comes well struck with a satiny or frosty luster typical of the 1880-1884 Philly coins. To fill this slot I bought a 67 at auction but sadly it got lost in the mail. Fortunately just a few weeks later I picked up this monster reverse toner. One of the craziest reverses I’ve seen for any date.

1884 MS63*

The 1884-CC is extremely easy to locate in all grades up to 66 including PL and DMPL. I have a toned 65 as well but I like this 64DMPL more. The cameo is so strong and the mirrors so deep, it looks like you can see a bit of the reflection of the devices in the fields. It's really cool and something I haven't seen on other coins.

1884-CC MS64DMPL

1884-O Morgans can come beautifully toned or with strong mirrors. Strikes are often weak but luster is generally good and satiny, much like the 83-O and 85-O. This one has a strong cameo and deep mirrors.

1884-O MS65+DMPL CAC

1884-S Morgans are plentiful in AU grades but get very hard to find in mint state, leading to a huge price jump in MS60. There are a lot of 58s to choose from, though, and this is about as nice as they come. The obverse is fully PL and the reverse is a solid gem. If it were another date I suspect it could grade MS62.

1884-S AU58 CAC

1885 Morgans come nicely toned more than 1884 but not nearly as much as 1886 or 1887. They can be found in gem condition with PL or DMPL surfaces fairly easily as well. Luster and strike are usually quite good. I love toned PLs and they are hard to find on anything other than a 79 - 82-S. This coin has fantastic luster, a hammered strike, beautiful color, and PL surfaces. What more could I want? Interestingly, it is currently losing out to my other 1885 (a monster-toned MS64) in a poll on Instagram, but I prefer the all-around awesomeness of this one even though my duplicate does have better color.

1885 MS66PL CAC

As always, let's see some of your 1884-1885 Morgans!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, thanks for continuing this post.
    Your coins are beautiful.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭

Another awesome presentation! Look forward to these posts!!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man... You've got one hell of a set! Great coins! :smiley:

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed - and he’s very knowledgeable too. I agree with all his observations. Wish I was heir to your estate my man - good grief!!

• Options

Thanks for the kind words!

@Che_Grapes I have two daughters but I think they’re too young for you. Also, I don’t plan on dying for a really long time!

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your set is really looking nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2021 3:10PM

Your set is truly AMAZING. Thanks for sharing, as I've really enjoyed this!!

Here is my 1885-S OGH CAC MS 63 and my 1885-CC MS 64:

Funny, as I felt that, at $300, I overpaid for my 1885-S. LOL It's worth much more, now. ;)

The 1885-CC has likewise appreciated in value (paid $590), as I purchased it before the Morgan BOOM!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice presentation. And speaking of nice, why don’t you be nice and give me that 1884, so I can gaze at its reverse for an eternity?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another awesome group. Love that you covet the true cameo black and white DMPL’s like that 84-CC despite the humble grade. I also prefer the monster cameo coins—and often the lower graded ones have more pronounced contrast. The 66PL toner is also one you don’t see everyday, as you pointed out, in an ‘85… 🌈⭐️

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Nice presentation. And speaking of nice, why don’t you be nice and give me that 1884, so I can gaze at its reverse for an eternity?😉

Thanks Mark! I’m sure you’ll recognize a few of the coins in this set that you helped scout for me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 ... Another nice installment of your Morgans. Very nice coins and excellent pictures. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file