Options

My Morgan Collection (Part 4 of 21)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 1, 2021 5:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here are the earlier installments:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

The 1880-O is readily available in low grades but gem and up are extremely rare. In the past year a decent number of high quality PL and DMPL coins in 62-64 have shown up. I don’t know why that is, but surprisingly the prices for these have continued to climb. I have owned three other 80-O coins before finally settling on this one. It is extremely black and white with a very clean cheek.
1880-O MS63DMPL CAC

The 1880-S is one of the most attractive and easily available dates in the entire series. They come lustrous, hammered, toned, and/or cameo PL/DMPL. I own several nicely toned 80-S coins and I had trouble choosing so I did a poll on Instagram. The winner (and not all that close) was the lowest graded of the bunch, but one of the best reverse toners on the planet. I bought this one about 16 years ago from Anaconda. It was crazy money for a 63 but I couldn't put it down and I've loved it ever since.

1880-S MS63*

The 1881 is a sneaky date to find a standout example much like all the 1879-84 Philly issues. It is readily available and is encountered PL with some frequency but toned examples are scarce and luster is generally nowhere near as good as on the S mints (or even the O mints). I just sold my 63PL example as I had replaced it with this one. It’s not 81-S flashy but it’s still a banded rainbow.

1881 MS64* CAC

The 81-CC has a low mintage but huge numbers of them were saved in bags. They are rarely encountered in circulated condition and finding a nice example is easy as any grade is worth putting in a big auction. I have had this coin for around 14 years and for a while it was my favorite coin. Ultra deep mirrors, no distracting marks and a touch of original color give this one outstanding eye appeal. It looks like a 66 although there are some tiny scratches on the bottom of the reverse that likely prevent that. I still think it should upgrade to at least a 65 though.

1881-CC 64DMPL

1881-O Morgans are generally available in 64 and even PL or DMPL and they come nice. There are a handful of outstanding toners for the date as well. This coin would probably be a 65 if it weren't for the 10x price jump to a 65DMPL.

1881-O MS64+DMPL CAC

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins... I am enjoying your presentation of your collection. The smaller sections allow more appreciation of the coins.. rather than all in one huge post. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff. I'm waiting for the 1890.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

All nice coins. I really like the 80 s reverse toning.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2021 11:00AM

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice stuff. I'm waiting for the 1890.

Thanks all!
    Any particular reason for liking 1890? Is it the whole year or just the 1890 Philly issue?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file