Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Morgan collection (Part 1 of 21)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2021 8:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Now that I am only 3 coins away from a complete set of Morgans (with a few varieties that seemed important to include) I thought I would slowly roll out a series showcasing the coins 5 at a time. Fortunately the first missing one isn't until the 1887-S so perhaps by then I will have completed the set (or at least secured that one).

My idea of a complete set contains 105 coins so this is going to take some time (and it has taken almost 20 years to assemble). I began collecting raw Morgans in 2002 in 2 Dansco Albums I got as a graduation present. I soon discovered a love of toned coins and those were the first slabs that I bought. My early mentors in that area were Bryan Sonnier and Bryan Orsborn (of TexasBullionTraders). A couple of years later I also became fond of DMPL dollars after seeing so many beautiful examples at Don Rinkor's table. My goal for the set is to find appealing toned or PL/DMPL coins, or nice circulated examples when the MS coins are too expensive. Along the way, I am also trying to complete a PL/DMPL date set. I have both NGC and PCGS coins in my collection but I find myself buying maybe 75-80% PCGS these days. I haven't submitted any coins to CAC so if it has a sticker, I bought it that way.

Here are the first 5 coins in my set:

One thing I love about the coins from 1878 is that they come absolutely hammered. I try to find well-struck coins when possible although if it has other positive attributes, such as beautiful color, I will accept a softer strike. This is especially true for the O-mint Morgans of 1883, 4, and 5.

I plan on upgrading the 1878 8TF. I bought this one about 15 years ago when I had a much smaller budget. As the first coin in the series I want a great example but this one is still decent for what it is:
1878 8TF PCGS MS62

This next one was bought in an older 63DMPL holder and I was fairly confident it would upgrade to a 64 but I thought it was borderline PL/DMPL. Thankfully it kept the designation when I sent it in for reconsideration. It is one of only two Morgans in the set I have upgraded (out of 3).

1878 7TF Rev 78 PCGS MS64DMPL

I love this next coin. It has a beautiful DMPL obverse and the reverse is extremely flashy.
1878 7/8 TF NGC MS64* CAC

I have a special place for the 78 Rev 79 because I bought it raw and graded it myself many years ago. I think it would get at least a plus if graded again today. It's very clean but I've thought about getting a toned or PL one.
1878 7TF Rev 79 NGC MS64

This next coin is ultra-deep with a really clean cheek for a 62. It is also a VAM-11, which has the telltale Z in the lower left wing.
There is still some nice original color on the coin too. It accents the reverse and doesn't take away from the mirrors at all.
1878-CC PCGS MS62DMPL

Feel free to let me know if there are any aspects of the set that would be interesting to you all.

I have registry sets here and at NGC but that one is obviously far closer to completion given that they accept both holders.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/morgan-dollars-major-sets/morgan-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1878-1921/publishedset/140828
https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/170007/

Thanks for reading!

Tagged:

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coins so far :smiley:

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noice! Thanks for showing those off!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142... Very nice Morgans. That set is a major effort, but you certainly have shown the dedication over almost two decades. I will definitely be looking forward to more of your set. Cheers, RickO

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of morgans in general but always been a fan of YOUR morgans from IG. You have a great eye.

Love that 78CC. If i ever buy a morgan its going to be a black and white MS one like that or a proof. When you see a true DMPL or proof in hand its something else

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 7:56AM

Thanks all for the nice words. I am excited to share the collection and what I’ve learned about assembling the series. Maybe I can convert a few of you to Morgan fans! @ricko - this is one of a few stretches without any color (beware the 1880s!) but by the 1890s they’re pretty much all blast white (or circulated).

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Morgan’s. I’m getting more into them lately (last 7 purchases were all Morgan’s) and am going to be reading more in my books about them. I haven’t even considered a date run or full set…but keep going through yours and so might get tempted!

• coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Nice morgans! It took me 15 years to put together a complete set just by year!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to see your Standing Liberty Quarters some day.....

• TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice first five. I agree with your comment on the 1878 CC, extremely clean cheek for the grade.

@Raybo said:
    Would like to see your Standing Liberty Quarters some day.....

I love the design but I never collected it as a series because so much of the money is in the 1916. I collect them as a type coin so I only own 5. I should do a similar series for that set too at some point.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad start!!!!!

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool project, and looking forward to viewing your collection over time! I actually do like the Morgan design (especially the obverse), but have never had an interest in collecting them as an adult. I did have Whitman albums of Morgan and Peace dollars when I was a teenager.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2021 3:25PM

My 1878-CC & 1878 7/8 STRONG. Both are 64.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

edited October 21, 2021 3:47PM

@Walkerfan said:

Very nice. Thank you for including some of your own!
    Do you also have a complete set or close to it, or just a few select coins you like? You might have to change your name to Morganfan. 😆

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2021 8:03PM

@david3142 said:

@Walkerfan said:

Very nice. Thank you for including some of your own!
    Do you also have a complete set or close to it, or just a few select coins you like? You might have to change your name to Morganfan. 😆

Thank You! LOL

I have about 12 PCGS certified Morgans and 2 ungraded GSA CC Morgans (1882 CC & 1881 CC). The 1882 CC was a gift from my father, so it will never be sold in my lifetime. The 1881 CC looks 65 and I only paid $150 for it in 1994-ish.

I have been working on a Box of 20, semi-key date set, which I hope to, eventually, turn into a One-Per-Date set (28 coins). I try to buy a different year, each time, but have a couple of the same year, yet different mint marks.

I have always liked them and pick them up, when I feel the urge to or see a nice example that is fairly priced.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file