Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection (Part 2 of 21)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2021 8:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If you missed Part 1, please click here: Part 1

Here are the next 5 coins from my set with a brief description of each. One of my great joys of collecting this series is finding beautifully toned examples of date/MM combinations that rarely come that way. This group has two such coins.

The 1878-S comes nice but DMPLs are scarce and the date is surprisingly expensive in 64DMPL (and especially higher). This coin has a nice overall look with original skin. It's not the deepest obverse, though so I might eventually upgrade to one that's a bit flashier. One of two Fatties in my set.
1878-S NGC MS63DPL

This is the first better-date toner that I ever bought. That was 17 or 18 years ago and I haven't seen a nicer one since. I honestly don't really even look at 1879 Morgans in auctions because I'm so happy with this one.
1879 NGC MS63*

The 1879-CC is one of the semi-keys of the series but it is frequently encountered in all grades at auction. However, many of the MS coins have a strange surface quality which is also true of the 80-CC. Morgans in the XF-AU grade range are often quite a challenge to find with minimal signs of cleaning and few marks. The overwhelming majority are hairlined and finding a nice one for most better dates can take quite a bit of patience. This one has a great original look to it and no distracting hits at all.
1879-CC Capped Die PCGS XF45

This coin is just fantastic. Clear mirrors and outstanding frost and eye appeal. This photo was taken with the same lighting conditions as the 78-S above and you can see that it has much greater contrast. I think it should be DMPL so I'll probably resubmit it.
1879-CC MS63+PL CAC

The 79-O does not often come with color, but it is easy to find frosty and satiny MS or even PL examples. The coin I replaced had really unusual bowl luster and a rainbow band that I loved but the following example is by far the nicest toned 79-O I've ever seen. Wayne called this one Triple Treat for the multiple rainbows as you move left on the coin and further down the toning cycle.
1879-O MS65

Comments welcome or just post an example of one of your Morgans above!

Tagged:

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file