Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Morgan Collection (Part 3 of 21)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2021 6:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In case you missed the earlier ones:

Part 1
Part 2

In some cases I have more than one coin for the date and don't consider either a duplicate For example, I have a DMPL and a toned 79-S and love them both. For some other dates, like 1880-S or 1886, I own several nicely toned examples without a clear favorite.

Here are the next 5:

The 1879-S is one of the most readily available and beautifully produced coins in the entire set. There are not quite as many monsters and quite a bit fewer high grade DMPLs compared to 1880-S but I was able to get one of each. I have a group of toners outside my main set so my toned example goes with them and my 64DMPL is in the Morgan set box so I'll show that one. It is the deepest of all of my mirrored coins and is absolutely black and white. I've seen precious few this deep for any date in series.
1879-S MS64DPL CAC

The next coin is (or was) quite a sleeper, perhaps the most underrated date in the entire series. It is extremely hard to find above 63 and I was thrilled to snag this one a few years ago. I love coins like this with really original color that enhances the eye appeal. It doesn't command a premium like a rainbow monster but it makes it unique. The market has apparently caught on to the difficulty of this issue lately and this coin is now by far my best financial performer in the set. It's up about 300% since I bought it.
1879-S Rev 78 MS64+ CAC

1880 is an overlooked date. It isn't particularly expensive but they don't often come mirrored and virtually never do they come nicely toned. I think this one has a chance at a higher grade. It isn't the most reflective but it's quite clean. The pinkish hue on the obverse is not on the coin, but a reflection of my hand as I took the pic. You’ll see that one a number of my images of mirrored coins.
1880 MS63DMPL

1880-CC Morgans are readily available in gem grades at any auction and PLs are easy to find (although DMPLs are a bit tougher). However, a lot of them have a haze or weak mirrors, poor frost, or are just otherwise not particularly appealing. It took me a long time to find one I liked with that clean look.
1880-CC MS65PL

The 80/79-CC Rev 78 (all of these are overdates) is very hard to locate in DMPL with only 47 examples graded by PCGS. This coin is quite a bit rarer than the regular 80-CC but not priced significantly higher. Mine is particularly cool because it has orange and blue rim toning on both sides that comes alive when you tilt the coin. It also has extremely deep mirrors and nice contrast. Unfortunately, it is difficult to show off the mirrors and the color at the same time, but you can get at least some idea from the images below. The reed marks on the cheek definitely stand out in the picture but they aren't as distracting in hand as the other qualities dominate the eye appeal.
1880-CC Rev 78 MS63DMPL

Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 👍🏻 🌞

Mr_Spud

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell that 79-S is a true mega cameo from the casual group slab shot - very cool. Great group.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Morgans and your descriptions read like a connoisseur describing a vintage wine. ;) I am enjoying your collection installments. Thank you. Cheers, RickO

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very nice coins.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Great looking Morgans and your descriptions read like a connoisseur describing a vintage wine. ;) I am enjoying your collection installments. Thank you. Cheers, RickO

What a lovely description. Thanks!

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins. I enjoy threads that show a collector's enthusiasm and deep knowledge of their series. Well done!

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, this is like the old days of waiting for one's favorite TV show each week. Beautiful set.

PS - I prefer to binge watch in case you decide to post your entire collection at one time. :)

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @kaz! After almost 20 years assembling the series it’s fun for me to look carefully at each one and share some info I learned about the qualities and availability of each date/MM.

@pointfivezero said:
    Man, this is like the old days of waiting for one's favorite TV show each week. Beautiful set.

PS - I prefer to binge watch in case you decide to post your entire collection at one time. :)

I don’t know if the software will support a 100-coin post but I will include the links to the earlier threads if you (or others) want to click through them. I hope you’ll tune in next week!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I’d like to own a deep deep DMPL like your 79-S some day. Thanks for continuing to share your collection!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

Wow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file