Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Morgan Collection (Part 5 of 21, 1881-S - 1882-O/S)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2021 9:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

We're now starting on the 2nd box of 20. This is my favorite box as basically every coin from 1881-1886 comes very nice and (except for the 82-O/S, 83-S, and 84-S) is affordable and easy to locate in gem condition.

Everyone knows the 81-S is extremely common and comes well struck, and often with blinding luster. The coin in this slot had to be a monster and I was able to find one that wasn't absurdly expensive (relatively speaking). This is probably my favorite toned Morgan and one of my favorite coins in my entire collection:

1881-S MS67 CAC

1882 is an overlooked date much like the other early P mints. PL examples are fairly scarce (and I used to have a 64PL in this slot) but toned examples are truly rare and this is one of, if not the best, I’ve seen.

1882 MS64

Early in my collecting, before I ever planned on doing a complete set, I thought It would be cool to have the short set of CC Morgans (81-85) all in matching 64DMPL, each as black and white as I could find. These coins are easy to locate in DMPL but finding a strong cameo with minimal distracting marks takes some time.

1882-CC MS64DMPL

The 82-O is nowhere near as commonly found ias the O mints that follow (83, 84, 85) particularly with color and it is actually harder to find toned or mirrored than the 81-O at grades less than 65. This coin’s cheek is nearly perfect and the cameo contrast is outstanding.

1882-O MS64+DMPL

Here's the coin that provided the impetus for this thread. The 4th to last that I have acquired. Much like the 79-S Rev 78, this is an underrated variety and the pops are actually significantly lower than the 79-S Rev 78. This coin is surprisingly colorful and lustrous and has the look of a higher grade. I have been checking every auction for this variety for a couple of years and I couldn’t be happier with this example.

1882-O/S MS63

As always, I welcome thoughts, comments or some pics of your own special Morgans from this date range!

Tagged:

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 6:42AM

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions. I really like that CC Morgan. And the '82O is a nice DMPL. Cheers, RickO

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that 82-0….I’ve seen plenty of Gem+ DMPL coins that look technically worse.

And the Northern Lights are a’shining all over that 81-S ✨💥🌟

You’ve really kept the eye appeal quotient very high for all of these Parts … definitely one of the nicest Morgan collections ever presented here on the forum.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome collection.
    Can't wait for the next instalment.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff. Still awaiting the 1890 CC

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    As always, I welcome thought, comments or some pics of your own special Morgans from this date range!

my thought, YOU ARE HAVING A TON OF FUN!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 10:07AM

Unique Morgan Dollar collection

Very appealing and tons of eye candy for us Morgan Dollar enthusiasts.
    "Cameo's Galore" <3B)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, that 81-s is KILLER!!
    But you knew that, so..
    The rest are sweet as well.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Wow that 82-0….I’ve seen plenty of Gem+ DMPL coins that look technically worse.

And the Northern Lights are a’shining all over that 81-S ✨💥🌟

You’ve really kept the eye appeal quotient very high for all of these Parts … definitely one of the nicest Morgan collections ever presented here on the forum.

Wow, thank you very much! I really appreciate that coming from someone with his own great taste in Morgans. I think you’ll like the rest of this box. It gets hard to maintain these types of coins in the mid 1890s without a 7 figure budget but I hope you like some wholesome VFs. 😁

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! I agree that the 82-O/S is underrated (or the 79-S Rev. 78 is overrated), especially in MS63 and higher. Forget about PL, since there aren't any unless you want to chase the EDS of the VAM 4, which is known in DMPL and would be a major trophy for an 82-O/S.

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

well done!

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

All very nice! The 82-O DMPL is a beauty, especially given nothing distracting on her big cheek.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file