Home U.S. Coin Forum

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my Peace and Morgan P dollars shipped USPS and first stop is Dallas TX ....is that right? I thought they shipped out of Tennessee 🤔

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Some are now coming out of TX

Thank you. I was concerned they were headed to the wrong address

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 4:39PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Some are now coming out of TX

Thank you. I was concerned they were headed to the wrong address

I had the same (one order out of Memphis and the other out of Dallas).

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

@MetroD Thanks!

I got through to the Mint after a 20 minute wait, not bad. After verifying my info. we proceed to take care of the situation when she puts me on hold and after 10 minutes the line disconnects. I call back and got through in about 8 minutes. I'm thinking my luck is going to change, NOPE! This CS rep doesn't verify my identity and sounds as if she is one hit away from passing out from the crack she's been smoking all the while I can hear kids yelling in the background and I'm pretty sure an old episode of Jerry Springer. After 3 to 4 minutes she says I will be receiving a prepaid shipping label to return the incorrect items. I was wondering how she handled this so fast, and my only conclusion is that the crack helped or she did nothing at all. I have a feeling I will be calling the Mint back tomorrow.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can ask for replacements on the form, but be aware that past attempts on sold through issues were met with refunds instead

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:
    @MetroD Thanks!

I got through to the Mint after a 20 minute wait, not bad. After verifying my info. we proceed to take care of the situation when she puts me on hold and after 10 minutes the line disconnects. I call back and got through in about 8 minutes. I'm thinking my luck is going to change, NOPE! This CS rep doesn't verify my identity and sounds as if she is one hit away from passing out from the crack she's been smoking all the while I can hear kids yelling in the background and I'm pretty sure an old episode of Jerry Springer. After 3 to 4 minutes she says I will be receiving a prepaid shipping label to return the incorrect items. I was wondering how she handled this so fast, and my only conclusion is that the crack helped or she did nothing at all. I have a feeling I will be calling the Mint back tomorrow.

Double check and ask them if the prepaid shipping label includes insurance. The Mint website recommends buying insurance for returns and says it does not cover for lost mail. It does not specifically identify if their labels include insurance. I don't even know if you actually can buy insurance to add to their label. If the coins gets "lost" before they get it, you could have a problem.

Good luck, as I am still in an unresolved situation with my return and I sent it back 25 days ago.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2021 4:48PM

@SONOMOSCA said:
    @MetroD Thanks!

FWIW, CS is open until midnight (ET). In my experience, your results will depend on the rep, but I have experienced shorter wait times by calling later in the evening.

Best of luck !!!

Yes. Returns processing is very slow now.

25 days would be faster than recently

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@Goldminers Thanks and Good luck to you as well!
    @MetroD Thanks again!

I actually had enough of the Mint and asked my wife to cancel her 3 Peace dollars. She had a 56 minute wait time and got through to Terrance, who was awesome! He was well worth the wait. As she was about to end the call, I blurted out wait, and had her ask if he could check my order which he did. I verified my identity and explained the situation and he tells me he doesn't see anything in the system from my 2 prior calls. Holy Crap!!! He then took care of it for me. Just got my wife's cancellation email as I'm typing. All I can say is Terrance ROCKS and deserves a raise.

Had 6 comin, you might have had a shot of 1 problem free… :p

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much, much, much easier to cancel then it is to return. It was over a two month wait for me. With multiple phone calls. And I imagine with the worsening short staffing it could be even a longer wait.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MsMorrisine said:
    You can ask for replacements on the form, but be aware that past attempts on sold through issues were met with refunds instead

I thought by calling things would move a little faster, guess I was wrong.
    On my first call that is what I was attempting to do, on the second call I had enough and decided to opt for a refund instead of trying to get the correct order. From ordering six Peace dollars down to zero... after seeing the quality of coins coming out from the Mint I'm perfectly ok with it.

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

There are some scary sounding data points so far on the quality issues.

Makes me wonder if we're going to see any of the coin publications do a story about these quality issues like they did with the website issues?

Also, the single thing that keeps coming up is the Philadelphia Mint. I'm sure those workers are not going to be happy reading these comments. I'll bet those in DC are not happy with the Philadelphia Mint either at this point.

BST references available on request

I’ll bet neither is aware yet

• MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Received my O Morgan today, and got the shipping email for the Peace Dollar. The O privy mark looks much better in person than it did on the renderings.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 4:08AM

OOPS... should have been DM sorry

(l8-)>>

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this posted on eBay. So far I gotta say, I like the two ounce silver round by intaglio mint better. The us mint one looks too flat, not high relief like I was hoping. We’ll see how it looks when someone posts better pictures though.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is hilarious how many people are asking or expecting full retail for these on the BST forum. Like most of the prices are 20-30% OVER eBay completed sales.
    Lesson from past Mint issues: don't be greedy if you bought them to flip.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date looks DD but my be the picture.

Hoard the keys.
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 12:36AM

@jclovescoins said:
    I think it is hilarious how many people are asking or expecting full retail for these on the BST forum. Like most of the prices are 20-30% OVER eBay completed sales.
    Lesson from past Mint issues: don't be greedy if you bought them to flip.

Rookie mistake.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 4:32AM

I compliment the discipline and maturity of this group, something which taken out of context, could have blown up and turned into a flame war, was allowed to self resolve and extinguish itself. In today's society that rarely happens kudos to ALL!

THANKS

(l8-)>>

• micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭

For those who have Peace dollars that have shipped, did you order the P Morgans as part of the same order. I did this and mine is still processing, but my coworker who just got the Peace Dollars has had his ship.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only ordered the Peace Dollar. It shipped yesterday morning. I won’t suggest you relax and what will be, will be . I’m not very good with that 🙃. I want it now. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@micotu said:
    For those who have Peace dollars that have shipped, did you order the P Morgans as part of the same order. I did this and mine is still processing, but my coworker who just got the Peace Dollars has had his ship.

Placing my order somehow peace quantity changed to 1 so I made second order for two Peace. The two Peace order has shipped but the mixed order has not shipped yet. You will be fine.

My mixed order shows shipping changed from best way to USPS. Check to see if yours has changed. That will indicate next step in 24 to 48 hours is shipped.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

@HATTRICK said:
    I find it amazing how fast they are getting these orders shipped.

From the pictures being posted of spots dings and good ole Schmutz I would want to get rid of them ASAP, too! 😂

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the poster trying to return the items to the mint - why not just sell them at cost?? Easier and less risk than paying to ship them back to the mint and hoping they don’t get lost and waiting weeks and weeks for the refund. Take them to your coin shop and sell them for 90 bucks - end of problem!!

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

It sure is interesting that with all the modernization the mint process has undergone in recent years, they are still having issues with quality. I get the inexpensive packaging. Cost cutting in that realm seems logical from a business standpoint. But the physical product that customers expect to be of higher quality seems to be lacking in these.
    The mint can and should do better especially given the fact they had customers wait, in some cases, months for these.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • smuglrsmuglr Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2021 7:53AM

@micotu said:

My order has both and I received shipped notice Monday. It says I should have them tomorrow. UPS/free shipping.

• cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one that would rather they left the cheap velvet off the plastic that the coins come in? I think they are trying to hide defects with that stuff. Opened my three D’s and by eye they look OK. Got to take a dryer sheet to the capsules or something to get the crap off. Got the 10 “CC” and 3 P’s still boxed but I think they will get opened too with all the defects.

@cruisersk1 said:
    Am I the only one that would rather they left the cheap velvet off the plastic that the coins come in? I think they are trying to hide defects with that stuff. Opened my three D’s and by eye they look OK. Got to take a dryer sheet to the capsules or something to get the crap off. Got the 10 “CC” and 3 P’s still boxed but I think they will get opened too with all the defects.

Yes they have little black hairs all over them from the (cheap) velvet

UPDATE - on the spots - after closer look they all have the exact same ones (some easier to see than others but even faint they are there on all three cc coins) and there is a scratch which I thought was the capsule BUT all three have that as well!!!!! These must be die lines! On my Os, 2 of the 3 have the exact “ding” I reported earlier - again, must be on the die!!
    VAM analysis anyone???

Just received 16 more coins. Overall, I’m not impressed with quality so far. Sure, there are some 70s in the group, but not as many as I would expect. All three S mints have this going on. Looks like different finishes. It is more proof like where it looks different. Has this on from and back. What’s going on with it?

If they were in good condition I could of tried selling them on the BST for a small profit. My post office is about a mile away and the nearest coin shop is about 20 miles away. Since my truck is a gas guzzler I'd rather drive the mile. But seriously, what I received is garbage and not the Peace dollars I ordered. I wouldn't feel right about dishing out this garbage on someone else. Here's a pic to give you an idea.

@Che_Grapes said:
    To the poster trying to return the items to the mint - why not just sell them at cost?? Easier and less risk than paying to ship them back to the mint and hoping they don’t get lost and waiting weeks and weeks for the refund. Take them to your coin shop and sell them for 90 bucks - end of problem!!

• Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I just received my Morgan O. Before I opened the box, I can hear the capsules are not closed. One coin is fine, the other capsule is open. The paper is ripped from the side, you can tell how hard they threw the box. The capsule is extremely loose, I can open and close it easily.

I am now thinking these blemishes are all from the dies. The spots I found on one CC coin were actually found (much lighter) on another in exactly the same places... and the “ding” I found on the O coin was also found (but less obvious) on another O coin. So these may not be bag marks but die marks - thoughts? Will this mean rare VAMs will be the new thing with these???

Are the coins ok. Maybe Picture or two. Sorry. My CC was banging around. It’s certainly not a winner. Perhaps a good give away. No , my giveaways are a celebration and I choose a coin from my personal collection. If , ofcourse you need one to fill a hole in an album. It might just be the ticket.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always issues with some coins even at low mintages. There are over 1,000,000 of these coins. Even a very small percentage of issues is a lot of coins.
    Remember that box of chocolates thing. A lot of boxes of these coins going out.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

The spots on the Morgan I just posted look like maybe polishing lines? Would that make sense on this finish?

• TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

My CC, O, D, and S showed up today. CC are extremely nice, O also nice, D and S decent, just not as nice as CC and O. However, one of the O privy has a "line" going from BUS to UNUM on the obverse. Looks very similar to counting machine damage, but does not affect tops of lettering, just the spaces between them. Weird, perhaps a planchet defect of some sort. Tried to get a photo, but could not get it clear.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quality concerns that I am hearing be expressed... is anyone returning their coins?

Okay, I think these pics will show what I mentioned above...

Should have mentioned... photos were with plastic case removed.

Wow. There have been some interesting coins posted. It will be interesting to see if they are varieties, errors, or just low grade

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Are the coins ok. Maybe Picture or two. Sorry. My CC was banging around. It’s certainly not a winner. Perhaps a good give away. No , my giveaways are a celebration and I choose a coin from my personal collection. If , ofcourse you need one to fill a hole in an album. It might just be the ticket.

Interestingly it’s on more than one coin so it’s from the die I think - therefore, the coins are fine because it was minted that way

And that scratch above is also on the coin - not the capsule (like I thought originally) and all 3 coins have it as well exact same line

edited October 27, 2021 11:01AM

@Che_Grapes said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Interestingly it’s on more than one coin so it’s from the die I think - therefore, the coins are fine because it was minted that way

I think the only people who care are the third party graders. I was told that can make the difference between a70 and not.
    ( unless it’s a perfect spot ). 😂
    I’m sorry that wasn’t nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file