Home Precious Metals

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a separate educational case for shows. About 20" x 15" square. About 20 coins in it. A lot of wide eyes by 7th or 8th graders who are just beginning to understand the value and meaning of money. Various Gold, civil war and hard times tokens, large cent, half dollar.

A ms65+ saint, $3,000. I pull out a ten and two 5's and put it next to the Saint. They were the same in 1925. The kids want to know if they are the same now. You just can't even imagine the reactions when I put 30 100dollar bills next to the Saint.

A Franklin half bought two gals of gas or lunch in 1963. The kids know gas is $4-5 a gal.- Now.
    I'm sure that I've caused a lot of questions at the dinner table.

Have a nice day
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:

Mom? What’s a good way to hedge against inflation?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@streeter said:

Mom? What’s a good way to hedge against inflation?

LOL. Toilet paper? Certainly not gutter, and now I'm even starting to wonder about the metal of kings although not throwing in the towel just yet. :D

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    troll getting slower. lol

Blitz seems to have hit a nerve.

Perhaps the one who continues to call everyone else a troll is the one and only real troll. At least we got the Bulgarian Zero conspiracy disinformation to stop. As temporary as it might be. lol

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm even starting to wonder about the metal of kings although not throwing in the towel just yet.

Instant gratification doesn't always live up to it's promise. I'd keep stacking unless you really need the cash, and in that case you should have a cushion built up in advance. We're only in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    I'm even starting to wonder about the metal of kings although not throwing in the towel just yet.

Instant gratification doesn't always live up to it's promise. I'd keep stacking unless you really need the cash, and in that case you should have a cushion built up in advance. We're only in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Plenty of arsse cushions. No immediate needs for cash. I've been hearing bottom of the 8th inning for decades all the while pretty much every other investment went to da moon.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    troll getting slower. lol

Blitz seems to have hit a nerve.

Perhaps the one who continues to call everyone else a troll is the one and only real troll. At least we got the Bulgarian Zero conspiracy disinformation to stop. As temporary as it might be. lol

Blitz, it's not your job to limit discussion but it seems it might be your goal to quash that which does not agree with your POV.

You say that you have been listening to the 'bottom of the 8th' for decades. If you would have been setting aside a small percentage of your earnings decades ago, possibly you wouldn't be so negative toward silver and gold.

My question is, Why do you even choose to participate on these boards?

Have a nice day

@streeter said:

Gold and entertainment. Luv the non gutter metal and watching Derby continuously predict the end of the world is more comical than anything I can find down at the local comedy club......and it's FREE (and I'm a chap arsse) lol

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Some people are giddy about finally being kind of partially right, but kind of only by coincidence after all these decades.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

And as shown by one forum member almost 8 months ago, producers are finally realizing higher costs which will result in a new, higher, floor being established for the price of everything.

This is not a new phenomenon, nor is it unexpected. It's just a piece of the inflation equation.

charting "floors:"

Yeah...thats the the chart that shows buying productive assets is a good idea.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

@streeter said:
    You say that you have been listening to the 'bottom of the 8th' for decades. If you would have been setting aside a small percentage of your earnings decades ago, possibly you wouldn't be so negative toward silver and gold.

Maybe he did, in other assets, and as a result has realized greater financial gain, thus his viewpoint. Why should he be called a troll for having a different experience/opinion?

@blitzdude said:

@streeter said:

Gold and entertainment. Luv the non gutter metal and watching Derby continuously predict the end of the world is more comical than anything I can find down at the local comedy club......and it's FREE (and I'm a chap arsse) lol

In all my years here, I cannot remember if you posted anything positive.
    Maybe it's time you attempted to elevate your game.

Have a nice day

@cohodk said:

@streeter said:

Maybe he did, in other assets, and as a result has realized greater financial gain, thus his viewpoint. Why should he be called a troll for having a different experience/opinion?

I look forward to his wisdom. I'm still looking. It actually isn't about choice, it's about the understanding and implementation of alternatives.

And not his negative attempts to discredit people who have an opposed viewpoint. Those same people who have a track record of solid transactions and experiences.

Have a nice day
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

@streeter said
    And not his negative attempts to discredit people who have an opposed viewpoint.

It appears they want to see this category die on the vine. At some point people leave the sandbox when the cat turds become too numerous

edited November 23, 2021 5:55AM

@streeter said:
    negative attempts to discredit people who have an opposed viewpoint.

Well, if its good enough for elected officials......

Yup, taxmad, society's sandbox is quite full.

On the inflation front.....got some 12 ga slugs for less than $1 each from basspro on Saturday. Lowest prices ive seen in a year and they actually had inventory.

@cohodk said:

@streeter said:
    negative attempts to discredit people who have an opposed viewpoint.

Well, if its good enough for elected officials......

Yup, taxmad, society's sandbox is quite full.

On the inflation front.....got some 12 ga slugs for less than $1 each from basspro on Saturday. Lowest prices ive seen in a year and they actually had inventory.

You should buy more. I sell them for $10/5 and am sold out.

Have a nice day

Specifically, he denigrates silver (and those who regard silver as a valuable investment asset). Most likely, he got burned in buying silver when it was higher, and believes that it's impossible that anyone else could have had a better track record with silver. As with any other asset, most successful silver investors buy it when the price is low - like now.

All this fluff means is that he hasn't been buying silver now, when it's price is low, and when silver does find its legs, he'll be in denial once again. That's all it means.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    All this fluff means is that he hasn't been buying silver now, when it's price is low, and when silver does find its legs, he'll be in denial once again. That's all it means.

Buy low and sell lower. I'm sure our resident silver shill has plenty to sell you as he continues to cry that the world around us is about to collapse. I'll stick with the metal of kings, you kids can have the gutter metal.

edited November 23, 2021 3:29PM

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:

Buy low and sell lower. I'm sure our resident silver shill has plenty to sell you as he continues to cry that the world around us is about to collapse. I'll stick with the metal of kings, you kids can have the gutter metal.

the resident shill is and for some time has been buying, not selling, silver bullion. He does have a few silver slabbed collector eagles available for sale in the BST, but only to apply the premiums to more bullion silver. He's also trading gold for silver on the BST. He knows that while both are going up the much better gain will be with silver. When the time to takes some silver profits off the table appears he will once again be doing so.

Apparently his warning of the ongoing destruction of the dollar is interpreted to be "cry for a world collapse" by one whose whole world is apparently built on the dollar. Diversity, grasshopper.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@jmski52 said:
    Specifically, he denigrates silver (and those who regard silver as a valuable investment asset). Most likely, he got burned in buying silver when it was higher, and believes that it's impossible that anyone else could have had a better track record with silver.

You could substitute equities or bonds or real estate for silver and one would have the same opinion for those who champion those assets, right?

edited November 23, 2021 3:48PM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Specifically, he denigrates silver (and those who regard silver as a valuable investment asset). Most likely, he got burned in buying silver when it was higher, and believes that it's impossible that anyone else could have had a better track record with silver.

You could substitute equities or bonds or real estate for silver and one would have the same opinion for those who champion those assets, right?

It is this "opinion of others" that has no place in a discussion or even heated debate about the topic of this forum. Those involved, myself included, should attempt to clean up their act.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

It is this "opinion of others" that has no place in a discussion or even heated debate about the topic of this forum. Those involved, myself included, should attempt to clean up their act.

Amen brother. Happy holidays. STAY SAFE. BE THANKFUL. RGDS!!!!!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quantity, spread, momentum of sales/velocity....playing in the gutters make people money. SMH

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Then lets make it a party. 🙂 Im in.

According to Phoenix Capital, the five best plays for the coming "inflationstorm" are all PM related.

Not necessarily but perhaps sometimes. The fundamentals are different for every asset, in fact the fundamentals are the main reason for buying one asset instead of another and the fundamentals are very different for silver than for bonds or real estate. Those fundamentals necessarily include counterparty risk in an era of unprecedented leverage in the markets.

To wit, I've won and lost with both silver and stocks but my reasons for wanting precious silver are very different for my reasons for not wanting stocks or real estate at this moment.

The simple difference is that I don't "gutterize" stocks or real estate just because I lost some $$ in speculative stocks at the end of the tech stock boom crackup. It isn't really too rational to demonize an inanimate asset and at some point, every investor should be able to recognize that much.

I knew it would happen.
    edited November 25, 2021 1:29PM

Keep a close eye on Turkey's inflation escalation.

Could it be an indicator of coming US public reaction?

Turkey has a crisis of one sort or another every 2 years whiiCV h usually has a benign global impact. But it is a dictatorship with poor infrastructure and limited resources so is ripe to be the next hyperinflation candidate.

@cohodk said:
    Turkey has a crisis of one sort or another every 2 years whiiCV h usually has a benign global impact. But it is a dictatorship with poor infrastructure and limited resources so is ripe to be the next hyperinflation candidate.

I was addressing the public response to their growing inflation. But since you mention it what is the real difference (to the population) whether control lies with just one person or with a group of individuals with the same controlling agenda?

Good thing we are not Turkey, Zimbabwe or Venezuela. We will be just fine over here in 'Merica. I'm certain you'd become much happier if you started betting on America instead of always betting against her. Semper!

edited November 26, 2021 10:47AM

becoming more like them each day. dollar devaluation it is a slow, unnoticed by most, process. and then, boom, you wake up one morning and you are there, wishing you had not sold that silver at a loss.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like precious metals. It makes me feel good that not everyone thinks the same.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG deflation ...

WTI CRUDE DOWN 12.51 % LMAO

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    OMG deflation ...

WTI CRUDE DOWN 12.51 % LMAO

if today's "scare" is a possible slowdown of worldwide travel, I'd expect the primary fuel source needed for said travel would take a hit...

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2021 8:07AM

Another inflation/covid hit... daycare / child care expenses. This is one that I am not seeing the effects of, since I have no young children. But some of you out there might...

One article says " child care costs have increased by 41%, or $14,117, up from $9,977 pre-pandemic."

"Center-based child care costs have increased 41% yearly per child (a $4,140 increase) compared to pre-pandemic costs, which could be causing added strain on household budgets as those costs get passed on.

Georgia, Florida and Louisiana have seen the largest increases to child care costs for children ages 3 and 4 — an annual average of at least 144%.

Parents in Indiana and Vermont are feeling the impact most, with 20% and 19%, respectively, of household income going to center-based child care costs "

----- kj

@MsMorrisine said:

LUMBER

Lumber futures have quietly rallied from 600 to nearly 1000 in the last 6 weeks.

• RobMRobM Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2021 8:23AM

@tincup,
    The growing costs of child daycare are "completely solved" by BBB since the BLS suggests that the base measurement of such prices is from out of pocket household expenses. Make the service free to most, require massive pay increases for people working in the child care business, and there is no longer an issue with the impact on CPI even though government will add 10s of billions a year in debt to pay for it. The BLS will actually be able to reduce, or perhaps eliminate, such expenses from the CPI. The huge costs to government can either be deceptively hidden "at best", and at worst show up in price increases for some other asset or good.

Congrats to those who have been busy stocking the ole bunker with oats and coffee instead of gutter and fancy gutter.

congrats to those that see buying opportunities.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Congrats to those who have been busy stocking the ole bunker with oats and coffee instead of gutter and fancy gutter.

No concern about oat milk inflation?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RobMRobM Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@blitzdude said:

No concern about oat milk inflation?

Can simply mix it with cocoa to bring the pruce down a bit?

@derryb said:
    congrats to those that see buying opportunities.

The last decade has been opportunity....or not.

When we gonna get that 20 to 150 run to verify the opportunity?

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always opportunity... in good times and in bad, with low inflation and high inflation. One must remain informed and plan accordingly... and certainly some luck never hurts.

----- kj
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    There is always opportunity... in good times and in bad, with low inflation and high inflation. One must remain informed and plan accordingly... and certainly some luck never hurts.

"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own..."

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Why doesnt Gold and Silver seem to keep up with inflation? Probably because young people never heard of them as an investment hedge?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/consumer-price-index-november-2021.html

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

@rooksmith said:
    Why doesnt Gold and Silver seem to keep up with inflation? Probably because young people never heard of them as an investment hedge?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/10/consumer-price-index-november-2021.html

Worst marketing campaign ever.

edited December 10, 2021 4:50PM

Note that gold's inflation adjusted peak coincided with the last great peak in inflation. Will gold repeat this performance, especially now that inflation reporting has been drastically watered down since 1980? Buckle your seat belts.

Magic! How to reduce the consumer price index while consumer prices continue to rise

Why not, it's been done before on many occasions. If you don't like the results, simply change the formula.

This discussion has been closed.