Home Precious Metals
Options

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, why am I even bothering with this? Are you people just being deliberately obtuse? it's like trying to discuss something with a 5 year old.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadWithMoney said:

@DNADave said:

OMG, why am I even bothering with this? Are you people just being deliberately obtuse? it's like trying to discuss something with a 5 year old.

Yes, that's where I got the phrase from. I don't know why it would be hard to grasp that you can't spend money if it is in the bank.

that's what my checkbook is for.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can't spend money if it is in the bank

True, but only if there's a bank holiday.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a checkbook? We got some oldsters up in here.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2021 12:35PM

@blitzdude said:

It's access to a bank account when they lock the bank doors and shut down the ATMs.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Piece of paper with your name, bank, and account number right there on it.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:

@blitzdude said:

Piece of paper with your name, bank, and account number right there on it.

Back in the day, efficient people also had the bank print their phone number, social security number, and pet and mother maiden name, all on school alumni background 😉😂

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Back in the day, efficient people also had the bank print their phone number, social security number, and pet and mother maiden name, all on school alumni background 😉😂

Found my old student directory from college - and next to the name is their SSN and home town mailing address.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite wines got pulled from shelves. Store owners said wine maker hiked the prices too much so they won't buy anymore. Like 40% ! yikes. Hey Joe. Stop throwing money from the sky!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2021 10:41PM

The flow of free money and shortages

Our current, unprecedented inflation dilemma is the result of a perfect storm of global supply chain issues (read the link) in the face of a stimulus-fueled historic explosion of demand for goods.

For this reason we will not witness a reduction in prices that normally results from supply catching up with demand. Supply chain issues are much more than just a short term reality.

Unless the spending of "new money" on unfunded promises and pet projects is reduced (not gonna happen) inflation will spiral out of control in tandem with a growing FED balance sheet that used to fund the waste. Dollar insurance in the form of gold and silver will protect is policy holders. When it takes five dollars to buy what today's dollar will buy today, PMs bought with that dollar will buy what it will later take five dollars to buy - the perfect hedge against the perfect financial storm. The winds and rain are approaching. Umbrellas and rain suits are always cheaper and more readily available when the sun is shining.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to be like an angle, it's better to be right than obtuse

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took the truck to the car wash today. Up $4 from last time.

• Options

Dollar insurance for Dummies:

In both 1971 and 2020 a brand new Corvette could be had for about 3,600 ounces of silver while the dollar cost went from $5,500 to $68,000.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 cars do not compare

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@derryb said:
    Dollar insurance for Dummies:

In both 1971 and 2020 a brand new Corvette could be had for about 3,600 ounces of silver while the dollar cost went from $5,500 to $68,000.

So did everyone's salaries. lol

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 4:21PM

The shocking similarity between 1923 German hyperinflation and current pandemic inflation.

As with 1923 German war inflation, once people realize the inflation is not temporary, the party will end. As demonstrated by the Germans it is the shift in expectation that will fuel much higher inflation.

While greed and fear can drive markets, perception and expectation drive economies.

• Options

FED Chair Powell has likely cut a deal with the Biden administration to gain reappointment.

That deal? Keep the easy money flowing. The FED has completed its transition into a political entity.

Commodities, which are inflationary hedges, have just broken out of a 13-year BEAR market.

Got gutter metal?

• Options

Yeah, likely, thats what probably happened. Thanks Bulgaria for another conspiracy to throw in the nut bucket.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Yeah, likely, thats what probably happened. Thanks Bulgaria for another conspiracy to throw in the nut bucket.

LOL, keep buying those dollars with your gutter metal.

• Options
    edited September 7, 2021 8:52PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    The 2 cars do not compare

neither does the value of the dollars that bought each. :'(

• Options

Not enough chickens, another supply chain casualty

Just wait til the announcement that there will be more free money for those that don't want to go to work and pluck chickens all day.

• Options

My girls are extra phat after a long summer of free range. Tell Mac Donald's to contact me. I'll give them a wonderful deal. lulz. Sounds like the Bulgarianz have yet another problem to deal with. Good thing you still have cooking oil for greasy fries and doctor pReppers!

• Options

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 8:17AM

rising prices, or more accurately currency debasement, will lead to higher interest rates, threatening markets which are unmistakably in bubble territory.

Two years ago, the cost for a 40-foot container to transport goods from Asia to the U.S was under $2,000. Today it's as much as $25,000.

Markets that are rejoicing in retail sales data improvement are overlooking:

• last month’s data was revised from -1.1% to -1.8%.
    • “back to school” shopping did not exist last year at this time. It contributed greatly to the current 15% gain over last year’s sales.

When we view retail sales in total we see that sales growth is rapidly dropping and returning back to previous trends.

The source of money used to provide economic data should never be overlooked:

• Options
    edited September 17, 2021 7:37AM

FED admitted in 2001 that it's own CPI is useless for forecasting future inflation

Turns out the FED realizes that food price inflation, NOT CPI or PCE, is the best predictor of future inflation. So, just what are today's food prices trying to tell us? :*

• Options

@derryb said:
    rising prices, or more accurately currency debasement, will lead to higher interest rates, threatening markets which are unmistakably in bubble territory.

Two years ago, the cost for a 40-foot container to transport goods from Asia to the U.S was under $2,000. Today it's as much as $25,000.

Back when lumber was crazy you were questioning the reality of a shortage.
    I am wondering about it now too.

Here we have the numbers for containers and you don’t question it.

Where has this sharp sustained increase in consumption come from? Or/And why is shipping services so constrained?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

Back when lumber was crazy you were questioning the reality of a shortage.
    I am wondering about it now too.

I questioned the reason for a lumber shortage and pointed to supply chain issues pointing out that there was no shortage of lumber, only a shortage of available for purchase lumber.

Here we have the numbers for containers and you don’t question it.

There is nothing to question, prices are what they are. If the question is why high shipping prices, then it's simply a matter of supply and demand.

Where has this sharp sustained increase in consumption come from? Or/And why is shipping services so constrained?

With the ending of pandemic stimulus and refusal of many to return to work I don't see the increase in consumption sustainable. Consumers are returning to debt to make purchases. See the chart three posts up.

Shipping services are currently limited by the number of port berths for them to pull into to load and unload. Ships are backed up at the big ports.

Labor is the issue with most all of our current "shortages." Higher wages will eventually cure that.

• Options

7/16 4x8 OSB $13, pressure treated 2x6x8' $6.30 still a tad high but no shortage in The Commonwealth. Glad I waited 8 months. Transitory due to the Covid Pandemic Sutdown no doubt. Just like the ASEs lol.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    7/16 4x8 OSB $13, pressure treated 2x6x8' $6.30 still a tad high but no shortage in The Commonwealth. Glad I waited 8 months. Transitory due to the Covid Pandemic Sutdown no doubt. Just like the ASEs lol.

You mean the same ASEs that are now at a 39.9% premium? LOL Appears lower premiums were what was transitory.

• Options

ya we know you love to overpay at APMEX. Maybe you should try shopping around?

• Options

recent positive retail data does not indicate consumers are buying more, It indicates consumers are paying more. When markets realize this unfortunate reality, equities will resume their decline and PMs will continue their rise.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    recent positive retail data does not indicate consumers are buying more, It indicates consumers are paying more. When markets realize this unfortunate reality, equities will resume their decline and PMs will continue their rise.

I suspect that is what is taking place also. It's costing more for day to day necessities, where one does not have much choice except to pay more.

----- kj
  • Options

FedEx, UPS Raises Rates At Fastest Pace In Decade

Transitory (temporary) inflation? Ha. When was the last time you saw increased prices come back down?

Regardless of what the FED whispers in your ear, current inflation is not transitory, it is structural; higher prices are here to stay. The coming disinflation (once supply chain issues settle down) will only halt the rise, not reduce prices.

• Options

I don't even want to discuss the SUV purchase we had to make sunday. Absolutely the worst time I have ever bought a vehicle.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 5:12PM

@derryb said:
    FedEx, UPS Raises Rates At Fastest Pace In Decade

Transitory (temporary) inflation? Ha. When was the last time you saw increased prices come back down?

Regardless of what the FED whispers in your ear, current inflation is not transitory, it is structural; higher prices are here to stay. The coming disinflation (once supply chain issues settle down) will only halt the rise, not reduce prices.

Oh my all these rising prices yet gutter metal in the gutter. Newz at 6. lol

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Not too long ago there was a glut of shipping containers in the US. Not worth it to send empty ones back to China so they were looking for places to stack them up here.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

Great diet idea. Our waistlines surely have been inflated, so now maybe we wont be so darn fat.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I don't even want to discuss the SUV purchase we had to make sunday. Absolutely the worst time I have ever bought a vehicle.

I'm actually interested in hearing the story! Was thinking it was time to replace the truck... then put off due to the covid hitting... now times have changed in regards to purchasing vehicles.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2021 11:40AM

@tincup said:

@DrBuster said:

I'm actually interested in hearing the story! Was thinking it was time to replace the truck... then put off due to the covid hitting... now times have changed in regards to purchasing vehicles.

So no/low inventory. Would have like to have gotten a new 2021 vehicle but zero around that the wife wanted so '22 it was. Absolutely zero incentives on anything so sticker price and take it or leave it. I got a few hundred off from the BS dealer add ons but that was it.

This time of year usually has 2021s on deep discount but with the supply chain issues on microchips everything was gone. All the dealers we talked to said they weren't getting their normal inventories and a couple of them said they weren't getting any more cars through end of year. I'd say that was a normal line, but I've got friends that sell cars and they've said the same.

We got a nice ride for wifey but yeah full price I have NEVER paid for a vehicle until this one. Growing up in a car salesmen family and working in the industry for a while you learn some things - when to buy, when the deals pop, etc.

Her old suv stranded her at the dr and with another round of slow death and this time it wasn't worth it to fix it on a 16 year old vehicle. The price to rebuild the top end, new alternator, fix the a/c, and then chase an electrical gremlin (~$3-4k ballpark) to maybe get $1500 in trade in value sealed the deal. It will run with a jump. We're donating it to cars for kids.

• Options

Thanks for sharing your experience DrBuster. Yes, this is the time of year that I had normally shopped for the good deals also on new vehicles.... but whenever I drove past any car dealerships the lots look pretty empty except for some used ones. Some not expecting any more inventory before the end of the year sounds pretty dire.

And I also have never paid full price before... that will take some getting used to, if one can even find the vehicle they want. Hope all of this is temporary. Other wise we may get into a situation like with housing... people bidding 20% more than asking price. :s

----- kj
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Ordered new vehicle (factory order to get options/color wanted) in Jan last year for 9.75% under msrp at 0% financing. Then covid hit full swing that March. I thought my timing was terrible but I've decided it couldn't have been better.

• Options

I will say, the ride she got is pretty nice. Sportage EX, loaded, and the dealer doubled the powertrain warranty - 20 years/200k.

• Options

GM's Q3 Sales Plunge 33% To Just 447K Vehicles But Average Price Hits Record $47,467

https://zerohedge.com/markets/gms-q2-sales-plunge-33-just-447k-vehicles-average-price-hits-record-47467

----- kj
  • Options

There may be local charities that take cars with a better known charitable purpose.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Flipping through the Costco sale flyer. Overhead garage storage racks on sale for $319.99. Bought them on July 1st for $239.99. 33.33% price increase in 3 months

• Options

Thank goodness this is all transitory...... right??

----- kj
  • Options

Can we get this to another page since it doesn't work with that stupid pic at the top of this one

• Options

200!

This discussion has been closed.