Options

2021 inflation report thread

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 7:01PM

@cohodk said:
    I understand what you see as the problem. And i know you and i cant fix it, but i want to know what you perceive to be the fallout. What do you see as the consequences of this problem? Can there be financial consequences without societal consequences? What would that look like? What problems could that bring?

There are always "problems" and we may all view their magnitude, effect and possiblility differently.

I fully understand what you view as the problem, and i agree it is an issue, but not to the magnitude as you. We all see problems, but rarely all the consequences. One can only be prepared for so much.

If you look at the causes of the 08 crisis it could have been easily avoided had those who warned of it not been ignored.

Three of the most powerful Washington economic gurus not only ignored the warning, but testified against it in congressional hearings.

Housing loans were apparently not "to the magnitude" nor were derivatives until suddenly they were. Yes, most people don't see consequences but the people we pay and trust to see them and prevent them are useless to our financial well being when they ignore such warnings. As I have continually voiced here, I tend to put more stock in such warnings than I do the leaders who should be listening to them.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    I understand what you see as the problem. And i know you and i cant fix it, but i want to know what you perceive to be the fallout. What do you see as the consequences of this problem? Can there be financial consequences without societal consequences? What would that look like? What problems could that bring?

There are always "problems" and we may all view their magnitude, effect and possiblility differently.

I fully understand what you view as the problem, and i agree it is an issue, but not to the magnitude as you. We all see problems, but rarely all the consequences. One can only be prepared for so much.

If you look at the causes of the 08 crisis it could have been easily avoided had those who warned of it not been ignored.

Three of the most powerful Washington economic gurus also ignored the warning.

Housing loans were apparently not "to the magnitude" nor were derivatives until suddenly they were. Yes, most people don't see consequences but the people we pay and trust to see them and prevent them are useless to our financial well being when fail to at least consider the warnings.

cohodk Should watch the movie "The big Short". The 2008 housing boom was a game of Jenga, worse than a house of cards.
    We had the eviction ban because of the pandemic. Still in place in a few states. That had to screw up the housing market.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 9:19AM

He should watch The Warning first.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a big problem until it affects you directly. Do I have that right?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2022 10:10AM

If the global supply chain is broken, then the global economy is broken.

"The supply chain difficulties will grow worse. Even more troubling is the fact that the remedies will take years and sometimes decades to implement. The reasons for this have to do with long lead times in implementing onshoring. For example, the U.S. can cut its dependence on Asian semiconductor imports by building its own semiconductor fabrication plans (fabs). The problem is that these plants take from three–five years to build, and the scale needed is enormous."

If it is the path chosen, undoing globalization is going to be long and painful.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 7:35AM

@derryb said:
    He should watch The Warning first.

Yeah....i think someone had "you were warned" as their tagline for a while. 😉

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:
    What does "worse economic times" look like to you?

@cohodk said:
    What does "worse economic times" look like to you?

August 1929 to March 1933. Back then people were more respectful and civil acting. Add in modern times and modern selfish and self centered attitudes to that equation.

So what does that mean? "No, you cant have my food"......Bang?

So you're planning on breaking into people's homes and stealing their food because you're unprepared?

Where do you get this from?

But if you think response to this scenario is being prepared, then i would suggest you are ill prepared. Do not underestimate the power of a mania.

• Options

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Three of the most powerful Washington economic gurus also ignored the warning.

Housing loans were apparently not "to the magnitude" nor were derivatives until suddenly they were. Yes, most people don't see consequences but the people we pay and trust to see them and prevent them are useless to our financial well being when fail to at least consider the warnings.

cohodk Should watch the movie "The big Short". The 2008 housing boom was a game of Jenga, worse than a house of cards.
    We had the eviction ban because of the pandemic. Still in place in a few states. That had to screw up the housing market.

Is this an example of "worse economic times"?

• Options

@derryb said:

"The supply chain difficulties will grow worse. Even more troubling is the fact that the remedies will take years and sometimes decades to implement. The reasons for this have to do with long lead times in implementing onshoring. For example, the U.S. can cut its dependence on Asian semiconductor imports by building its own semiconductor fabrication plans (fabs). "

If it is the path chosen, undoing globalization is going to be long and painful.

How did we ever survive without semiconductors?

The problem is that these plants take from three–five years to build, and the scale needed is enormous

This is not a problem, its an opportunity.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 10:34AM

@jmski52 said:
    It’s not a big problem until it affects you directly. Do I have that right?

You do not have it rght.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 8:42AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

"The supply chain difficulties will grow worse. Even more troubling is the fact that the remedies will take years and sometimes decades to implement. The reasons for this have to do with long lead times in implementing onshoring. For example, the U.S. can cut its dependence on Asian semiconductor imports by building its own semiconductor fabrication plans (fabs). "

The problem is that these plants take from three–five years to build, and the scale needed is enormous

This type of thinking has a ways bugged me. When I lived in Ca. There was always rolling droughts. They would always hope for the next El Niño or weather event instead of spending the money and time to build water conservation infrastructure. 40 years later they still have no major improvements in that area.
    Same thing with the semi conductor shortage. It’s been happening for well over a year. Plant would be half done if they started when the shortage did. And why does a plant take 3-5 years to build? Are they talking about a plant big enough to take over global supply? Why not ramp up to that goal. We don’t need to take over supply. Only help with shortage. And it seems that the use of semiconductors is only going to grow. And why not use existing facilities that are shuttered?
    Seems like we like to complain about the evils of global economy yet do little to correct. By we I mean politicians and political hacks.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 10:51AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

every problem is an opportunity. . . for someone.

But more importantly a problem is a challenge and in the case of replacing lost US manufacturing infrastructure it will require great cost.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2022 12:29PM

An excellent primer that justifies the need for a gold standard. And yes it would cure future inflation. Nixon’s historic decoupling of gold and the dollar has important ramifications for the current US economy.

How Nixon's closing the gold window (breaking the restraints that gold put on dollar management) has doomed the dollar ever since.

This discussion has been closed.