Home Precious Metals
Options

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• Options

Walmart's Special Kitty and Great Value products are always in stock and prices haven't gone up much. In the case of Great Value milk, Walmart even owns the dairy farm, so it's literally all Walmart from the cow's boob to your face. They should really call it a new kind of monopoly like an "end-to-end monopoly" if you ask me. There's no way anyone could start a dairy farm and ramp up to Walmart size, get real.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

@meluaufeet said:
    Certain premium cat food brands are difficult to find lately. Had to change brands because of it. Prices up about 30% or so.

That is due mainly to recent huge increases in human consumption. People are now eating Little Friskies at around $0.75/can instead of Chicken of the Sea at $1.50. The good "mews" is that the BLS has noticed, and made the proper substitution in the CPI to capture the significant price reduction in canned tuna.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Fact is the supply chain is not "resilient" nor are is it "remarkably strong and still function quite well even when damaged." As the Rickards link shows, is very fragile and very dependent on all the links working as designed.

One bad link and the chain is broken. There are few to no backups in the international supply chain. One estimate I recall claims that in the event of a nationwide trucking stoppage grocery shelves would be bare in three days. Only when one stops to consider how much food comes out the front door on a daily basis does one realize how much food needs to be going in the back door.

Rickards is either an idiot or thinks his readers are. I’ve worked in supply chain my entire career and have faced some incredible challenges the last couple years. If supply chains truly were as fragile as he states, it would have been game over long ago. Disruptable, yes. Fragile, not even close. My god, what a load of shit.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Fact is the supply chain is not "resilient" nor are is it "remarkably strong and still function quite well even when damaged."

That is not true.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 12:19AM

I’ve worked in supply chain my entire career and have faced some incredible challenges the last couple years. If supply chains truly were as fragile as he states, it would have been game over long ago. Disruptable, yes. Fragile, not even close. My god, what a load of shit.

Why then is there a backup at Long Beach, and is the trucker shortage real and are you saying it doesn't matter if there is a trucker shortage?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 1:12AM

@rcmb3220 said:

Rickards is either an idiot or thinks his readers are. I’ve worked in supply chain my entire career and have faced some incredible challenges the last couple years. If supply chains truly were as fragile as he states, it would have been game over long ago. Disruptable, yes. Fragile, not even close. My god, what a load of shit.

Common response to things not comprehended.

@jmski52 said:
    I’ve worked in supply chain my entire career and have faced some incredible challenges the last couple years. If supply chains truly were as fragile as he states, it would have been game over long ago. Disruptable, yes. Fragile, not even close. My god, what a load of shit.

Why then is there a backup at Long Beach, and is the trucker shortage real and are you saying it doesn't matter if there is a trucker shortage?

Sounds like he doesn't need trucks or ships to make his magical supply chain do its thing. He gets his beans right off the vine from the back yard. He forgets a truck delivered the seeds, the water hose and the fertilizer to the store and that he needed his pickup truck and some gasoline to go get them. While he says he works in one of the many, many supply chain jobs, he obviously doesn't realize supply chains are much more complex than just one job. They require millions of workers doing thousands of different things. When one cog in just one gear of the big machine breaks, the entire Port of Long Beach grinds to a halt. And the Port of Long Beach is just another cog on one of many gears in the big machine.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 6:26AM

@derryb said:

@rcmb3220 said:

Common response to things not comprehended.

Yet a much better response than a picture of an outlet cover. Lol

I hope taxmad gives me an "LOL".

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 4:56AM

@jmski52 said:

On a recent 2500 mile trip i will report that ive never (and ive put about 1.1 million miles on my vehicles) seen so many trucks on the road. Truck stops and rest areas were overflowing. You really should expand your world to include more than Mayberry.

There is no shortage of drivers. But there is an excess of junk we Americans are buying from China. Stop buying this garbage and problem solved. The web isnt broken, its just filled with too many flies.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

I’m repeating myself here (see my unedited post above). I didn’t say there weren’t issues, but to characterize the supply chain as fragile is laughable. I live it everyday. It’s not fragile, it’s remarkably resilient.

The article is from a website run by people that want to see the world burn and it was posted here by someone that wants the world to burn so they can be right for once. Take the information with a grain of salt.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

I’m repeating myself here (see my unedited post above). I didn’t say there weren’t issues, but to characterize the supply chain as fragile is laughable. I live it everyday. It’s not fragile, it’s remarkably resilient.

The article is from a website run by people that want to see the world burn and it was posted here by someone that wants the world to burn so they can be right for once. Take the information with a grain of salt.

I guess that someone found the only article about issues with the supply change and posted it here. Thank you for setting us straight. Does that mean the ~250,000 vehicles sitting in parking lots throughout the country waiting for chips so they can be delivered to dealers are a sign of the resilience in your world? Yes 99.9% of the products arrived, however the missing .1% is all it took to move that industry from resilient to fragile...

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 7:43AM

@rcmb3220 said:

@jmski52 said:

Here's another opinion, this one from your daily reading material

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

About that idiot:

• Options

@taxmad said:

@rcmb3220 said:

I guess that someone found the only article about issues with the supply change and posted it here. Thank you for setting us straight. Does that mean the ~250,000 vehicles sitting in parking lots throughout the country waiting for chips so they can be delivered to dealers are a sign of the resilience in your world? Yes 99.9% of the products arrived, however the missing .1% is all it took to move that industry from resilient to fragile...

The chip shortage is due to skyrocketing demand from consumer products, not because they are on a boat in Long Beach or because there aren’t enough drivers to deliver them.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 7:57AM

@rcmb3220 said:

The chip shortage is due to skyrocketing demand from consumer products, not because they are on a boat in Long Beach or because there aren’t enough drivers to deliver them.

Wouldn't a 'resilient' supply chain be able to meet that demand?

• Options

@derryb said:

@rcmb3220 said:

About that idiot:

I read his bio. I stand by the two options I gave. And I don’t subscribe to the NYT, but I’ve read articles like it, I’m sure.

I would not use the work “broken” to describe the supply chain either. Not in my industry or in general. Hell, I just ordered 5 things from Amazon over the weekend and the last one is arriving this morning.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2021 6:12PM

so a supply chain is not broken until it affects you? lol

I assume there has been no increase in your grocery bill.

• Options

@taxmad said:

@rcmb3220 said:

Wouldn't a 'resilient' supply chain be able to meet that demand?

No because if that massive demand shift had occurred during normal times, the exact same thing would have happened. (And we wouldn’t have a bunch of newly minted arm-chair supply chain experts).

You guys are like the people that give parenting advice even though they don’t have kids.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2021 8:19AM

Apparently the prices of used cars have virtually doubled because there aren't enough new ones on the lots for sale, and it's not because of skyrocketing demand. It's because there aren't enough cars being produced and it's because there is a chip shortage due to the covid shutdowns in Taiwan over the past 1 1/2 years. Do I have it wrong?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@rcmb3220 said:

No because if that massive demand shift had occurred during normal times, the exact same thing would have happened. (And we wouldn’t have a bunch of newly minted arm-chair supply chain experts).

You guys are like the people that give parenting advice even though they don’t have kids.

that would make you the parent that watches their kid tear up the store and pee in the corner all the while telling other people all is normal?

Demand would have been met in normal times and the fact that the system failed was the original point. Relying on a global supply, especially for critical parts that are produced in a hostile country, failed. The only people telling everyone to remain calm are those that convinced manufacturers the system was unsinkable.

Now if you will excuse me, Titanic is on again and I am excited to see if it turns out differently this time, because now I know that the experts are always right...

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Apparently the prices of used cars have virtually doubled because there aren't enough new ones on the lots for sale, and it's not because of skyrocketing demand. It's because there aren't enough cars being produced and it's because there is a chip shortage due to the covid shutdowns in Taiwan over the past 1 1/2 years. Do I have it wrong?

The chip shortage is almost entirely due to the increase in demand on consumer electronics that was not predicted because nobody saw a pandemic coming, let alone how consumer demands would shift. Tell me more about supply chains, professor.

• Options

@taxmad said:

@rcmb3220 said:

that would make you the parent that watches their kid tear up the store and pee in the corner all the while telling other people all is normal?

Demand would have been met in normal times and the fact that the system failed was the original point. Relying on a global supply, especially for critical parts that are produced in a hostile country, failed. The only people telling everyone to remain calm are those that convinced manufacturers the system was unsinkable.

Now if you will excuse me, Titanic is on again and I am excited to see if it turns out differently this time, because now I know that the experts are always right...

Again, had that demand shift occurred in normal times, it would not have been met. Maybe slightly better fill rates, maybe slightly faster. But there would still be a fight for too little supply.

• Options

@rcmb3220 - what manufacturing industry do you work?

• Options

This just in....
    Derryb photoshopped his grocery store supply chain image. I did an intensive online search, found the article along with the original unedited photo shown below. This confirms that even though there was no toilet paper on the shelves, there was definitely not a chip shortage.

• Options

@taxmad said:

Automotive / Heavy equipment

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 1:36PM

@rcmb3220 said:

@taxmad said:

Automotive / Heavy equipment

So can you give us some production numbers for the past 4-5 years that will support your claim that instead of a supply problem, there are many many more cars being instantly produced and bought?

I don't think I saw your response to a previous poster asking about the huge lots filled with vehicles and pickup trucks... all supposedly waiting for chips to be able to complete? Or, perhaps they are all already sold? If so, why are they still sitting there?

I'd like to believe what you are saying that there is no supply chain breakdown... but sure not what I'm seeing or hearing about what is happening out there. But full disclosure... I'm not a supply chain expert, so perhaps my opinion or observations do not count.

----- kj
  • Options

rcmb3220, vehicle production/delivery/sales numbers should tell us if it is true what you are telling us. If true, there should be some very large numbers.

----- kj
  • Options

Ditto for xboxes, computers, coffee makers, etc. etc. etc.

----- kj
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 1:52PM

Just bought an apple laptop for our high school student for Christmas. It was $200 off. Killer deal. Able to buy a few days before Xmas.

• Options

I'll give you a very very specific example of a supply chain issue. Last couple of times a friend of mine visited a well known ice cream place to order a regular banana split.... they could not provide it. They said they could not get a decent supply of bananas. Bananas are rather time sensitive, and by the time the truck has been getting to the store, the bananas have been of poor quality and they were rejecting them. I've noticed the same situation in some grocery stores (but not all). A supply chain issue... it is not moving as dependably as before (I doubt the problem is due to many more people eating bananas).

----- kj
  • Options

Just bought an Air fryer / huge countertop oven at $50 off the already great price.

• Options

But hey, like I said, I'm, no expert... can only give my opinion based on what I see taking place out there.

----- kj
  • Options

ErrorsOnCoins, that does sound like a killer deal on the Apple! Have to agree with that.

The shortages certainly do not include everything across the board. And there are deals out there. Just got back from Walmart, and certainly no shortage on kitchen appliances on the shelves, and plenty to choose from.

The automotive situation seems to me to be a different beast, and the one that seems to be most severe.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    rcmb3220, vehicle production/delivery/sales numbers should tell us if it is true what you are telling us. If true, there should be some very large numbers.

Like I said before, the increased demand is mainly from consumer electronics, not from automotive or construction machinery. I do not have numbers on consumer electronics demand.

• Options

Gotta love this forum. A guy who works in the automotive/machinery supply chain is chastised by others (who dont work in the automotive/machinery supply chain) about the workings of the automotive/machinery supply chain.

If this doesnt epitomize today's society, then nothing does. I think derryb is right....we are doomed. Lol

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Gotta love this forum. A guy who works in the automotive/machinery supply chain is chastised by others (who dont work in the automotive/machinery supply chain) about the workings of the automotive/machinery supply chain.

If this doesnt epitomize today's society, then nothing does. I think derryb is right....we are doomed. Lol

I work in a hospital filled with brilliant Medical PROFESSIONALS. All I hear all day is a steady influx Youtube Warriors who think they are Doctors because they read a few posts on some internet site telling them to drink bleach or to ingest a bottle of horse pills. Reality is well past doomed. This forum will be pure entertainment until the bitter end.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Tell me more about supply chains, professor.

Anyone who has ever worked in mining, petroleum, transportation, refining, power generation, distribution, manufacturing, logistics, river transportation, linear programming, trucking, wholesale or retail - I could go on and on - knows something about supply chains. It's not as if you are the only expert who knows anything about supply chains, my friend.

A guy who works in the automotive/machinery supply chain is chastised by others (who dont work in the automotive/machinery supply chain) about the workings of the automotive/machinery supply chain.

And I'd be interested to know all about your own supply chain expertise.

All I hear all day is a steady influx Youtube Warriors who think they are Doctors because they read a few posts on some internet site telling them to drink bleach or to ingest a bottle of horse pills.

I'd be interested to get your specifics on who is recommending that anyone be "drinking bleach" or to ingest "a bottle of horse pills".

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

I work in a hospital filled with brilliant Medical PROFESSIONALS. All I hear all day is a steady influx Youtube Warriors who think they are Doctors because they read a few posts on some internet site telling them to drink bleach or to ingest a bottle of horse pills. Reality is well past doomed. This forum will be pure entertainment until the bitter end.

Someone the other day told me about parents who recently brought their kid in who had been shot by his brother while hunting. They didn’t want him to get blood because - you guessed it - it might be tainted by the covid vaccine.

• Options

@cohodk said:

Not chastising... merely trying to get some proof or validation of the claims, since the claims seem to contradict what I and many others are experiencing out there. Perhaps 90% of the news outlets are wrong also. Beats me. Guess I'm living in a different world than those who are saying nothing is broken. So be it... no worries.

cohodk I doubt this example 'epitomize today's society'... I'd say there are many more examples that are much more appropriate. But I don't totally discount your quote from derryb... ' ....we are doomed '. Hope it's not true, but we are certainly in some bizarro times.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2021 7:15PM

@rcmb3220 said:

Someone the other day told me about parents who recently brought their kid in who had been shot by his brother while hunting. They didn’t want him to get blood because - you guessed it - it might be tainted by the covid vaccine.

Wait a second....Now it is all starting to make sense. The chip shortage isn't due entirely to increased use in consumer electronics. Billions of microchips really have gone into the vaccines. I was wondering why I was noticing a bunch of people with "Intel Inside" tattoos recently.
    :p

• Options

@tincup said:

@cohodk said:

Not chastising... merely trying to get some proof or validation of the claims, since the claims seem to contradict what I and many others are experiencing out there. Perhaps 90% of the news outlets are wrong also. Beats me. Guess I'm living in a different world than those who are saying nothing is broken. So be it... no worries.

I think it comes down to interpretation. I see the supply chain as disrupted, but not broken. Personally i cant think of anything ive wanted that ive had to do without. I hear of no cars yet i see them in dealer lots. I hear of no cream cheese yet i see it every week at my grocer, a grocer thqt is packed full of food and househild items everyday. I hear of computer chip shortages yet i see computers and phones and all sorts of electronics for sale. I hear of no truck drivers yet the roads are packed with trucks.

Surely there are examples of shortages about, but these are symptoms of disruption. If some feel this is a broken system then God help them if it ever is broken.

If anything is broken its the soul of this country. So much defeatist talk. It saddens me.

• Options

@cohodk, the shortage is in new car inventory. Take a closer look at just about any factory car dealer's lot and you will see that most of the vehicles are used. New car inventories may still be under 1M units wheras a more typical number is around 2.5M. Just as an example, a nearby Kia dealership lists 8 new Kias in their current inventory, while having 71 pre-owned vehicles available. That's the biggest reason used car prices skyrocketed... the dealers are tripping over one another at the auctions just to have something on their lots.

• Options

So there are only 1mm new cars available? Yup, sounds like a problem. Definately a broken and irreparable supply chain. Insert facetious laughing emoji.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    So there are only 1mm new cars available? Yup, sounds like a problem. Definately a broken and irreparable supply chain. Insert facetious laughing emoji.

I don’t believe it’s broken but heavily strained in the auto industry. I work in a shop and parts are definitely less available. About a year ago we started having problems getting control modules. Most manufacturers were back ordering most body control modules and Powertrain modules because the supply was low and they were using what was available to produce new cars.
    I saw an interview with a manufacturer or chips in Taiwan. (Where I believe the largest manufacturer or microchips is located.). He said because of the couple months of lockdown and continuing worker shortages they expected chip supply to take a couple of years to catch back up. Not because more people are buying but because there was already such a large demand they could never build an inventory that would withstand the couple month/year disruption.

Also bought a new car a month ago. The whole front lot was used cars. Only new cars available were in showroom and in building storage garage. (Which was about half full) Bought a car from same dealer a few years ago. Front lot was half for new cars half used. Had indoor storage full and had extra off site storage lot full. They told me they no longer use that extra lot.
    But hey I had 4 cars the model I wanted to choose from so I didn’t complain.

• Options

Last month is was (fake) inflation that was being propaganded.

This month it is the supply chain (fake) dysfunction that is being propaganded.

derryB, what is on the agenda to propagandate next month? I know it's coming. The end of everything is surely near.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

derryB, what is on the agenda to propagandate next month? I know it's coming. The end of everything is surely near.

I knew derryB was powerful, but I didn't realize he could convince the Biden Administration to go along with his propaganda and report fake inflation numbers and set up a supply chain commission...

• Options

@cohodk said:

Well, not all of us. Only those not paying attention. B)

• Options

. . . and then there's the shortage of workers. Seems every where I go employers are trying to hire employees. Wats up wid dat?

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If you believe the inflation is fake and if you believe the supply chain dysfunction is fake then then you really ain't gonna believe what's next. lol

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    . . . and then there's the shortage of workers. Seems every where I go employers are trying to hire employees. Wats up wid dat?

Many completely left the workforce because they realized during this pandemic that there are many other things in life more important than chasing the almighty $$$. Some don't feel safe working in areas where proper safety precautions are not being enforced. Just today the director of our CCU informed us that tomorrow will be her last day because she can no longer handle watching all the death. It's the same story I've heard over and over for many months. The department (and hospital) has been operating at half capacity because of all the staff that have bailed. Don't expect them to come back anytime soon.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

This discussion has been closed.