Options

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@bigjpst said:
    Because 3.999 feels so much better than 4.000

wouldn't you feel better if they said 3.99?

Yes I would but they would lose out on the extra .009

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

That extra 9 I assume is part of the tax collected by the state or fed. Translate into millions of gallons sold a day.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I transact my bitcoins all the way down to the .999999999 decimal point. Time for the dinosaurs to get with the times. > Forward! RGDS!!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

No family. No friends. That's why I turn to your ilk for companionship. Its tough living under a bridge.

FIFY

What do you think bridges are made out of? Duh!!

Oh shoot., that was a question. Pardon your ignorance. Haha

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

No family. No friends. That's why I turn to your ilk for companionship. Its tough living under a bridge.

FIFY

I guess one could make an argument that a single rock could be considered a bridge.

• Options

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

FIFY

I guess one could make an argument that a single rock could be considered a bridge.

Really nothing to argue about. Rainbow Bridge...aka...Home Sweet Home. Unicorns also live here.

Did inflation or deflation contibute to the creation of this natural wonder?

• Options

Millennials Are Finally Spending Like Grownups
    Millennials Are Finally Spending Like Grownups https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-01-02/millennials-are-finally-buying-houses-what-does-that-mean-for-inflation

Hmmmm...inflation ran pretty hot during the late 70s and 80s too, just as the baby boomers were turning 30 and starting families.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:
    why are gas prices still carried three decimal places? Just think of all the electricity that could be save on all those electronic billboards. Where are the tree huggers on this one?

Because the tree huggers want gas stations to fail. They want all gas station transformed to charging stations.

Like they didn't want guns in CA. . . until they needed one?

Too funny. I love it.

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

FIFY

Really nothing to argue about. Rainbow Bridge...aka...Home Sweet Home. Unicorns also live here.

You're missing taxmad point.
    I think he is trying to tell you, you're this guy.

• Options

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:
    why are gas prices still carried three decimal places? Just think of all the electricity that could be save on all those electronic billboards. Where are the tree huggers on this one?

Because the tree huggers want gas stations to fail. They want all gas station transformed to charging stations.

Too funny. I love it.

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

FIFY

Nope, didnt miss a thing.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna say you probably did

• Options

@DrBuster said:

Nope..i got it all. In fact, if you reread you will aee how i fed him. Go all the way back to streeters post.

Funny, how someone who disagrees with derryb, taxmad, or jmski is labeled a troll.
    And certainty dont ask any questions or challenge an opinion. How dare one speak against the appointed ones on this forum. Shame shame.

So hiw about the millenial generation fueling inflation similar to the baby boomer?

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read today's Mises on Japan and inflation that which amounts to a depression if not 4 their central bank

• Options
    edited January 3, 2022 8:39PM

@cohodk said:

@DrBuster said:

Nope..i got it all. In fact, if you reread you will aee how i fed him. Go all the way back to streeters post.

Funny, how someone who disagrees with derryb, taxmad, or jmski is labeled a troll.
    And certainty dont ask any questions or challenge an opinion. How dare one speak against the appointed ones on this forum. Shame shame.

So hiw about the millenial generation fueling inflation similar to the baby boomer?

This guy didn't label you anything and I appreciate discourse. However, you are historically close to first in line to spoon feed the hipocricy of being blinded by your own opinion minus substantial conversational points because you know all and who could possibly question that.

Are millenials the ones who made Ikea blanket announce 10% global increases in price announced this weekend? That's not real number stats right, with their stating it's because of a supply chain shortage and a side of currency devaluation you don't think exists?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

Too funny. I love it.

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

FIFY

I know I need to look at the man in the mirror. So I am the last one who should throw any judgement and I should MMOB.
    @cohodk take the chip off your shoulder and try not to be combative and punacious. A little positivity goes along way. You have a lot of knowledge and insight that could really benefit this forum.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 1:57PM

when you can no longer prop up the purchasing power of the currency, you hold the down price of goods. Next on deck - price controls.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next on deck - price controls.

Yup, we know how well that worked last time around. :o

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

@TPGS said:

@derryb said:

Too funny. I love it.

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

FIFY

I know I need to look at the man in the mirror. So I am the last one who should throw any judgement and I should MMOB.
    @cohodk take the chip off your shoulder and try not to be combative and punacious. A little positivity goes along way. You have a lot of knowledge and insight that could really benefit this forum.

Thanks TPGS. I!, and most of my sparring partners, have heen on this forum much longer than you. We have rehashed the same talking points over and over again, to the point where only witty and combative remarks garner any interest. Eventually one finds more satisfaction in watching failure rather than success. Its been a long decade. A decade for which warning was given.

I ask questions of folk who often disguise opinion as fact. These folk know what they are doing and will never answer the questions, but perhaps thoae questions foster an inquisitive notion in someone else who may then look for facts thenselves. I believe folk learn more from their own discovery than by being told what to think.

Facts, unfortunately, are not readily welcomed, not just on this forum, but by society. I think we would be better off thinking for ourselves rather than letting others do it for us. Sometimes we just dont know what questions to ask, so I make some suggestions. Some call this trolling.

• Options

@DrBuster said:

Are millenials the ones who made Ikea blanket announce 10% global increases in price announced this weekend? That's not real number stats right, with their stating it's because of a supply chain shortage and a side of currency devaluation you don't think exists?

Im.not blaming millenials.for ik nflation,.im.merely making comparison to the role demographics play in economics. It all comes down to supply and demand. Add buckets of money to the demand side and we have a quite a mess that only time or monetary destruction will cure.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    Talk about inflation.... hope one of you financial savvy folks can explain to me what is going on....

I've ignored US savings bonds for many years, due to very paltry percentage returns. But I've just been made aware that Series I savings bonds interest rate changed two months ago, from around 3.54% (not sure what the per cent was), to 7.12%..... :o

Not sure if there has ever been an increase like that. I'm surprised at the rate and would like some other opinions regarding the jump.

Granted... the interest rate changes every 6 months. The 7.12% interest rate will apply for 6 months for bonds purchased by March 31 2022; after 6 months a new interest rate is determined and then applies for the next 6 months, and so on.

Looks like it could be an investment opportunity for those who might have lots of cash in low interest rate vehicles right now. One can purchase up to $10,000 of I bonds per year online; they normally have to be held for 5 years, but can be cashed back in after one year with a penalty (I think it is 1 quarters worth of interest). So... purchase a bond at the 7.12% interest; after 6 months, even if the new interest rate drops to zero percent, hold until the end of the full year and then can cash out if desired to get a yearly rate of 3.56% (the quarter interest penalty of a 0% interest rate would be zero dollars?) And of course if the new interest rate is more than zero... then your yearly return would be better than 3.56%.

Am I missing something? Time to reconsider government bonds? A good opportunity? what is the risk as you see it?

https://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/products/prod_ibonds_glance.htm

Thanks for posting, tincup. I thought about it for quite a while. Yesterday, I bought paperless I bonds. The interest rate is just too attractive. Maybe why there is a $10K purchase limit per year per SS#?

• Options
    edited January 5, 2022 1:49PM

Maybe globalization was not such a good idea after all?

Supply Chain Woes Prompt a New Push to Revive U.S. Factories

We gave up all those US jobs for cheap goods. Now the jobs are gone along with the cheap goods.

• Options

@derryb said:
    We gave up all those US jobs for cheap goods. Now the jobs are gone along with the cheap goods.

Sadly a lot of the manufacturing equipment was also shipped to China...

• Options

@taxmad said:

@derryb said:

Sadly a lot of the manufacturing equipment was also shipped to China...

and the factories went to rust. I see them along the interstate when I travel to Atlanta. Would likely be cheaper to rebuild them than to restore them. Wasn't it Nixon who gave the US economy to China when he wasn't busy abolishing the gold standard?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Wasn't it Nixon who gave the US economy to China when he wasn't busy abolishing the gold standard?

FDR took us off the gold standard in 1933. He recalled all of the gold with certain exceptions and then raised the price of gold which was tantamount to theft from the gold holders.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

• Options

@derryb said:
    Maybe globalization was not such a good idea after all?

Supply Chain Woes Prompt a New Push to Revive U.S. Factories

Those manufacturing jobs are long gone. I live in the rust belt where steel mill after steel mill has been sitting idle for decades. Sad part is most people here have been collecting welfare ever since and are convinced these jobs are going to suddenly come back. It's never going to happen. They blame the illegals for "stealing" their jobs when it was the very politicians that they continue to praise and vote for that sold them out in the first place. Apparently, you can't fix stupid. Evolve or remain stuck in your pathetic situation. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

... it was the very politicians that they continue to praise and vote for that sold them out in the first place. Apparently, you can't fix stupid...

Sadly as we become more tribal in our politics this problem continues to grow

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add buckets of money to the demand side and we have a quite a mess that only time or monetary destruction will cure.

Say what? It's not every day that I agree with you, but I agree.

Sounds like stagflation to me, a potentially bad case of it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Sheets getting real....

Little Caesars raises price of famous $5 pizza for first time in 25 years

The price of the promotional pie, which was first introduced in 1997 through advertising shaker boards, is increasing by 11% to cost $5.55. Up from its longstanding $5 price point, the new and improved version of the Hot-N-Ready pizza will now also come with 33% more pepperoni, Forbes reported.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Add buckets of money to the demand side and we have a quite a mess that only time or monetary destruction will cure.

Say what? It's not every day that I agree with you, but I agree.

Like i said, im trying to fit in. Haha

The problem with my comment is that it is merely an observation or a one sentence talking point. I didnt provide any supporting evidence or discuss the processes or consequences of either of those two scenarios. I wrote words but really didnt say anything and offered little substance with which to discuss.

I should be questioned on what i really mean by "monetary destruction" or "cured by time".

• Options

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

... it was the very politicians that they continue to praise and vote for that sold them out in the first place. Apparently, you can't fix stupid...

Is it politicians that "sold us out" or the American peoples desire for cheap junk?

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 7:12AM

@cohodk said:

Is it politicians that "sold us out" or the American peoples desire for cheap junk?

consumers of cheap junk did not negotiate trade agreements to get it. Most consumers didn't even know cheap junk was on the way until Walmart put it on the shelves.

another classic case of chickens coming home to roost. I'm sure you've heard that before. B)

• Options

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Initially it was the politicians - now it is our addiction to cheap junk and low prices in general. Shrinkflation is an excellent example. Way back when WalMart was spreading to small towns, killing local stores. A local professor made the comment that this will lead to job loss and the death of main street in these small towns. He last line was 'it will be the most expensive fifty-cents you ever save on a package of underwear'

He was not wrong...

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 8:21AM

didn't someone here once say "low prices cure low prices?"

there comes a time to bring in the livestock and raise the draw bridge. Are we there yet?

• Options

• Options

Heads You Lose; Tails You Lose

"So, which will it be? High inflation? Or a crashing economy?"

• Options

@derryb said:
    didn't someone here once say "low prices cure low prices?"

there comes a time to bring in the livestock and raise the draw bridge. Are we there yet?

Nope....prices not high enough yet.

• Options

@derryb said:

Neither. Moderate inflation with a moderate economy. Too much money out there for the economy to crash and moderating supply chain disruptions. Its probably going to be boring for a few years.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 6:43PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Neither. Moderate inflation with a moderate economy. Too much money out there for the economy to crash and moderating supply chain disruptions. Its probably going to be boring for a few years.

So economic crisis is prevented by printing? The FED thought so also. You are about to witness the worst economic times of your optimistic life. lol

is it still boring in venezuela?

This unique cocoon of safety and abundance that Americans have been wrapped in since WWII is starting to crack.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2022 7:14AM

What does "worse economic times" look like to you?

• Options

worse than now. lol

• Options

@cohodk said:

@cohodk said:

August 1929 to March 1933. Back then people were more respectful and civil acting. Add in modern times and modern selfish and self centered attitudes to that equation.

• Options

@cohodk said:

Some here have been readying their bunkers for decades and rooting for the demise of this great nation. America is strong and will remain so. Doomsayers will remain tin foil conspiracy nuts. RGDS!

• Options

With all eyes on inflation let us not forget the Effect of Deflation On The Gold Price.

• Options

@derryb said:
    worse than now. lol

So like yesterday?

• Options

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@cohodk said:

August 1929 to March 1933. Back then people were more respectful and civil acting. Add in modern times and modern selfish and self centered attitudes to that equation.

So what does that mean? "No, you cant have my food"......Bang?

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Some here have been readying their bunkers for decades and rooting for the demise of this great nation. America is strong and will remain so. Doomsayers will remain tin foil conspiracy nuts. RGDS!

It is interesting that they are "prepared" but dont seem to know what they are prepared for. I had a trig teacher tell me that if i cant describe something then i dont know it. So if we dont know the problem how could we ever be prepared to solve it?

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 12:11AM

@cohodk said:
    So if we dont know the problem how could we ever be prepared to solve it?

Fixed it for ya:

"So if we ignore the problem as well as those who point out and remind us of the problem how could we ever be prepared to solve it."

And this is why you will never see the problem until it is too late to solve it.

I know the problem (and it is not one that requires guns and a bunker) and have made the financial preparations to protect me and those close to me. Solving the problem is out of your hands and out of my hands. Being prepared for its fallout is well within our control.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 5:54AM

I understand what you see as the problem. And i know you and i cant fix it, but i want to know what you perceive to be the fallout. What do you see as the consequences of this problem? Can there be financial consequences without societal consequences? What would that look like? What problems could that bring?

There are always "problems" and we may all view their magnitude, effect and possiblility differently.

I fully understand what you view as the problem, and i agree it is an issue, but not to the magnitude as you. We all see problems, but rarely all the consequences. One can only be prepared for so much.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 8:36AM

@cohodk said:

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@cohodk said:

So you're planning on breaking into people's homes and stealing their food because you're unprepared?
    If you break into someone's house to steal then yes you're going to probably get shot.
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    God-created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 8:37AM

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@TPGS said:

@cohodk said:

@cohodk said:

So you're planning on breaking into people's homes and stealing their food because you're unprepared?
    If you break into someone's house to steal then yes you're going to probably get shot.
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    God-created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Maybe what you meant is you're going door to door begging for food? Then I would give you food. No problemo friendo.

This discussion has been closed.