Home Precious Metals
Options

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2021 12:40AM

Property taxes assessed on a primary residence are based on it's last sale price plus a formulated increase on that value each year making current assessed value far below it's true market value. If that house were sold today, it's current sales price would then be used to assess a much higher property tax for the new owner.

Selling a house to buy another includes the expense of an updated value on the new house (higher property taxes) as well as the realtor fee.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first house was reassessed every 3 years. Only in between did they do the minor ticks up.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a new home last year. Cost about 50% more than value of last home. Homeowners insurance was 75% of amount I was paying on old house. Same company. Not sure if it’s because it’s a newer home or if they were just trying to underbid the finance companies insurance quote. But I’m sure it will gradually tick up.
    As others stated, I would be shopping around for different insurance.

• Options

Price increases? Just looking back at some of my 2008 US Mint gold purchases in my "order history":

2 coin 1/2 oz. AGE Prosperity sets - $1083 ea.
    4 coin "W" uncirc. AGE sets - $1862 ea.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:
    Bought a new home last year. Cost about 50% more than value of last home. Homeowners insurance was 75% of amount I was paying on old house. Same company. Not sure if it’s because it’s a newer home or if they were just trying to underbid the finance companies insurance quote. But I’m sure it will gradually tick up.
    As others stated, I would be shopping around for different insurance.

Does seem to be an exception. I suspect it may be a nice lower rate to keep you with their company at the start... and as you say will start climbing in rates each year. My insurance has been climbing relentlessly each year, with no claims being made. Shopping around for other insurance does not seem to make much difference.

----- kj
  • Options

While the Fed Fiddles, the Dollar Burns:

"Defying economists’ expectations for sixth month in a row, inflation heats up instead of easing off. And it’s a lot worse than it seems."

• Options

The Talk of CNBC

find Lumber

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

One Year Performance

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Long VIX, Short Soybean Oil?

• Options

Year on year, the PPI surged 7.3%. That was the biggest year-on-year rise since November 2010 and followed a 6.6% advance in May. Month on month, PPI was up a full 1% against expectations of a 0.6% gain.

Got gold and silver?

----- kj
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just hit the grocery store, 12 packs of sodas all over $6, would never see them above $4 until today. That's gas station prices usually around here.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Just hit the grocery store, 12 packs of sodas all over $6, would never see them above $4 until today. That's gas station prices usually around here.

I suppose it depends on your locale. Yesterday I purchased 4 x 6 packs 16 oz bottles of coke for $9.00 at my local Safeway. Last week you could buy 5 x 6 packs 16 oz bottles of Pepsi for $11.00.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

"Inflation" is just another word for a dollar that is losing its purchasing power.

Let's print some more!

• Options

@OPA said:

@DrBuster said:

I suppose it depends on your locale. Yesterday I purchased 4 x 6 packs 16 oz bottles of coke for $9.00 at my local Safeway. Last week you could buy 5 x 6 packs 16 oz bottles of Pepsi for $11.00.

oh theres discounts in play, but if this is the new reg then so be it

• Options

@OPA said:

@DrBuster said:

Of course there are loss leader sales every week... my store has them also. Check out the 'normal' listed prices for when a sale is not in place.

----- kj
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2021 5:27AM

"Inflation" is just another word for a dollar that is losing its purchasing power.

Let's print some more!

And then let's use the free money to buy votes and pay off our buddies, and maybe a few extra mil to the big guys.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Stamps going up 3c to 58.

• Options

@tincup said:

@OPA said:

@DrBuster said:

Of course there are loss leader sales every week... my store has them also. Check out the 'normal' listed prices for when a sale is not in place.

True, but who in their right mind would buy those items at a regular price? Sodas are constantly on sale & so are meat, poultry, pork & seafood items, along with sales in just about every department. It's been a long time since I paid full price for anything at a grocery store.

• Options

Just a matter of time before "sale" prices are higher than current regular prices. That's how inflation works.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Just a matter of time before "sale" prices are higher than current regular prices. That's how inflation works.

I wish I could say the same about PM's ;)

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@DrBuster said:

So, 24 bottles of Coke at 37.5 cents each vs 30 bottles of Pepsi for 36.67 cents each? Probably a more convincing inflation example would be home prices, not sodas ;)

• Options

coke and pepsi have alternating specials. you have to match high price to high price or low price to low price... then watch the highs or lows change

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@OPA said:

@DrBuster said:

So, 24 bottles of Coke at 37.5 cents each vs 30 bottles of Pepsi for 36.67 cents each? Probably a more convincing inflation example would be home prices, not sodas ;)

In 'merica it's all about Coke, Pepsi, Big Macs and Whoppers. Not much else matters. Crazy country!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Let's print some more!

And then let's use the free money to buy votes and pay off our buddies, and maybe a few extra mil to the big guys.

An don even get started on kids these days, what's with the hair and the music?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

An example of shrinkflation that I had no clue about until my brother mentioned it to me. I would have expected toilet paper to start having fewer squares, but never imagined they would reduce the width. But appears they are doing so; found this online:

"an old roll was 4.5 inches wide, a new roll, 3.75 inches."

Wonder if the same thing is happening with tissues such as Kleenex?

----- kj
  • Options

Purchased today, one large coffee and one blueberry muffin $15 one pina colada $23. Yesterday one bacon cheeseburger, one cheese fries one vanilla shake $32.

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Being old and on fixed income please allow me to vent.
    I can’t watch the news anymore and I worry about our future. Maybe my parents were saying the exact same things when I was growing up in the 60s.
    In the end everyone appears to keep blaming everyone else for our problems but nobody addresses the real issue. As a collective we have nobody to blame but ourselves (look in the mirror) because we keep electing idiots to run our lives.
    Now in terms of gold and silver I always thought holding a small amount of an individuals liquid net worth in physical is the way to go and it’s better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    Thank you, now I feel better.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2021 10:01AM

@Baley said:
    Purchased today, one large coffee and one blueberry muffin $15 one pina colada $23. Yesterday one bacon cheeseburger, one cheese fries one vanilla shake $32.

BOGO?

• Options

Poolside, Ceasars Palace Las Vegas

• Options

@Baley said:

Has the buffet appreciated appreciably?

• Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Baley said:

Has the buffet appreciated appreciably?

It was fabulous when I did it last month as I recall $80 ish a head!

• Options

No buffet for the Baleys, I'm 6ft/170lbs, my teenagers are both 5-9/105. We went to Carmine's for dinner, split angel hair and meatballs 3 ways, with bread and a drink each for a total of $90 including a 30% tip.

• Options

tongue in cheek

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I think the scariest part about the inflation is the breakdown in the supply chain. Chips are one of the biggies but there are cracks in the system everywhere. There seems to be random empty store shelves that changes weekly. If you can't get one part for whatever you are manufacturing you can't sell it. My wife works at a high tech manufacturer and they can't find enough employees to do the work offered so they have to turn down jobs. They make specialty parts for many types of companies including auto, petro and aerospace.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    An example of shrinkflation that I had no clue about until my brother mentioned it to me. I would have expected toilet paper to start having fewer squares, but never imagined they would reduce the width. But appears they are doing so; found this online:

"an old roll was 4.5 inches wide, a new roll, 3.75 inches."

Wonder if the same thing is happening with tissues such as Kleenex?

I've mentioned the shrinking TP before on these inflation report threads. TP manufacturers have been shrinking the rolls for around 3 years now, take a look at your toilet paper holder.

I buy a lot of stuff in bulk and have a bunch of storage/shelving in my basement, so when size changes I usually notice when I'm switching to the "newer" supply. I opened a new box of old spice deodorant a few days ago and they reduced their deodorant sticks sometime over the last year from 4oz to 3oz, lol. The container it is in weighs more than the actual product. Guess I need to find a new brand to start using...

• Options

How many squares does one need , anyway?
    Maybe consult your doctor rather than your banker🤣

• Options

Expect coffee to start rising... Brazil crop slammed by freeze and drought. But maybe other countries outputs will take up the slack.

----- kj
  • Options

LUMBER!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

LUMBER!

Hi Ho silver! 3 short steps from the absolute gutter. Congrats on buying high again Derbs. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Past 12 Months?

Lumber!

• Options

Oh, look! They made some more 2x4s and plywood! That wasn't the end of sticks and boards after all!

Who would have expected??

• Options

In other news, lemons and oranges will soon be free again in Baleyville. Every third castle and keep in the territory will have basket at the end of the driveway.
    Just past the moats amd right next to the archers towers. 😉

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Milk and gas has doubled since the new administration took the helm. Metal is always a bargain, unlike toilet paper and other necessities. Got canning lids ? Crypto is in, masks are on, while shots ain't what they used to be. So now, they're free. That oughta tell us something.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @MsMorrisine said:

LUMBER!

I think you meant TIMBER!!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2021 9:38PM

The lumber shortage obviously has started to work itself out. Like many other things it was pandemic induced. Production was shut down, people doing DIY projects while at home etc. Huge supply side disruptions. This could be said about a lot of materials. Inflation and supply side disruptions are two different things although they feel the same at the cash register in real time. However, supply side seems to work it's way though the system faster. It's one of many reasons inflation hedges like gold have taken a huge hit. It's not as bad as it seemed and inflation in general was at relatively low jumping off point pre pandemic.

In my industry it's container and shipping costs that have soared. Once the backlog has cleared it will dissipate.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can still get a the best pineapple in the world under $3 at Walmart. It's been under $3 for years. Everything else, not so much.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2021 6:00PM

@Baley said:
    Oh, look! They made some more 2x4s and plywood! That wasn't the end of sticks and boards after all!

Who would have expected??

Prices fluctuate as supply fluctuates. Current availability affects current prices. Price is not a fixed variable simply because supply is not a fixed variable. Reducing volatility in prices to protect both consumers and producers was one of the foundations for the commodity futures markets.

Supply chain interruptions have recently become a major source of shortages and therefor price increases. World supply chain logistics are fixin' to see another slow down.

I Remember reading a report once that claimed food store inventories were so tight that just a three-day trucking stoppage could empty major chain grocers' shelves. Scary to know that it can all disappear in only three days.

Nations should categorize the types of goods in transit and have rules in place to give priority to life dependent products in times of supply chain interruptions. In dire straits containers of clothing should be required to sit on the docks while priority is given to food, medicine, etc. The color coding of shipping containers is one step that could accelerate the movement of essential items through the supply chain in times of shipping delays. Also, ships carrying survival essentials could be given priority through busy maritime canals. The time will come when taking these advanced planning steps now will have proven to be wise risk planning.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The lumber shortage obviously has started to work itself out. Like many other things it was pandemic induced. Production was shut down, people doing DIY projects while at home etc. Huge supply side disruptions. This could be said about a lot of materials. Inflation and supply side disruptions are two different things although they feel the same at the cash register in real time. However, supply side seems to work it's way though the system faster. It's one of many reasons inflation hedges like gold have taken a huge hit. It's not as bad as it seemed and inflation in general was at relatively low jumping off point pre pandemic.

In my industry it's container and shipping costs that have soared. Once the backlog has cleared it will dissipate.

m

But we’re still 6-9 months until this happens, maybe longer. We’re scheduling 3-4 air freights a month for the foreseeable future as sea freight is too unreliable.

This discussion has been closed.