Home Precious Metals
Options

2021 inflation report thread

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

@metalmeister said:
    Remember the $3,500,000,000,000 costs zero according to Joe.

Not only will it cost zero, the $3,500,000,000,000 will be anti-inflationary :smiley: can't believe this isn't an onion article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/treasury-secretary-yellen-says-spending-bills-will-be-anti-inflationary-lowering-important-costs.html

Sure beats the $9,000,000,000,000 from the last bankruptcy expert clown.,,,,,,but let's not let FACTS get in the way. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only will it cost zero, the $3,500,000,000,000 will be anti-inflationary :smiley: can't believe this isn't an onion article:

None of these weasels in gov.com could make it in a normal business environment. George Orwell himself would have a hard time believing what is going on now.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember that line from about Feb/March 2020?

"We just need to bend the curve for about 2 weeks"

Have a nice day
  • Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    The 2 cars do not compare

Your absolutely right both trash cars compared to a 57 stingray!

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of family members have recently purchased eyeglasses.... looks to me like a 50% increase or so in frames anyways. $300 to $400 for eyeglasses frames? Yikes. After looking around some, found some acceptable ones in the $200 to $300 range....

And yes, to the nay-sayers regarding inflation... there are places that advertise complete set of glasses + exam for $99 etc.... but you get what you pay for. Need bifocals? need harder materials for the lens? prefer hinged eyeglasses? prefer anti-glare? etc. etc. and all add on to the cost. Insurance helps some but not a lot.

----- kj
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    A couple of family members have recently purchased eyeglasses.... looks to me like a 50% increase or so in frames anyways. $300 to $400 for eyeglasses frames? Yikes. After looking around some, found some acceptable ones in the $200 to $300 range....

Got eye exam and glasses cheap at America's Best. Highly recommend them.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Latest inflation report, everything up, gutter metal down (unless cacs). Crazy world!!! LOL

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 8:16AM

Not everything is going up.

But there sure have been good opportunities to "back up" that new truck in the past year. Today may be one of them.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2021 3:37PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Not everything is going up.

But there sure have been good opportunities to "back up" that new truck in the past year. Today may be one of them.

While FED official jawboning may influence the paper futures market (your chart), buyers of real silver are thanking the FED for being such fools. Thank you FED. The day will come when buyers become big gain sellers and will once again thank the FED. B)

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@tincup said:

I don't have an "America's Best" around here but have done reasonable well at Costco.
    I used to go to Lenscrafters but you now need a second mortgage at that place.

• Options

Hh> @JohnnyCache said:

@derryb said:

@tincup said:

I don't have an "America's Best" around here but have done reasonable well at Costco.

I fill my contact lens script from America's Best at Sam's Club.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2021 3:49PM

@jmski52 said:
    everything up, gutter metal down (unless cacs). Crazy world!!! LOL

Which begs the question - have you found any lowball sellers (of silver) yet? :*

A few. Purchased some just yesterday sub $22. THKS!

• Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

OAT MILK DAMMIT!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    5 months ago everyone was freaking about the price of lumber.

5 months ago I went to Home Depot to price a project involving wood, I passed as the project was non essential.

Today I went to Home Depot and bought a chitload of lumber.

Inflation is manageable to non existent.

But..... Lumber prices are still around 20% higher than they were at the start of 2020. There are some elements in pricing that have little to do with monetary inflation. Consider something a little less affected by pandemic-related supply chain issues, like Class B housing.... Up 15% yoy.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inflation may be manageable if you can wait it out. I’ll just hold off buying gas for my car until the price goes down.
    Your home project is not a necessity and the cost of everything from gas to food has gone up. It may be temporary, but it’s very real in places other than fantasyland.

• Options

U.S. consumer prices jump 6.2% in October, the biggest inflation surge in more than 30 years

Inflation is manageable to non existent? let me know when they publish a recipe for lumber stew.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Non existent? Someone is in denial. LOL.

To upper middle class and wealthy inflation may not be that noticeable due to the assets that the top 10% or so hold... Stocks, real estate, etc. But not everyone has the luxury of investing large sums in the assets that the fed and gov't are pumping. That's also why some desperate poor folks are putting everything they have into crypto. Inflation is the cruelest tax of all and is completely immoral.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inflation may not be a concern to someone who doesn't have to worry about much, other than perhaps spending time on a boat and enjoying a vice or two....

To many others faced with having to make a living day to day... the inflation is very real and affecting lives.

----- kj
  • Options

blind man can see inflation

• Options
    edited November 10, 2021 4:14PM

@RobM said:

@PerryHall said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Non existent? Someone is in denial. LOL.

To upper middle class and wealthy inflation may not be that noticeable due to the assets that the top 10% or so hold... Stocks, real estate, etc. But not everyone has the luxury of investing large sums in the assets that the fed and gov't are pumping. That's also why some desperate poor folks are putting everything they have into crypto. Inflation is the cruelest tax of all and is completely immoral.

Yep, my assets continue to inflate (Thank god for dumping the gutter metal) in price much quicker than the gadgets I need from chinamart, and general day to day living expenses. LG! THKS!!!

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found the perfect way to avoid inflation.
    Just don't spend money.
    It works.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2021 4:32PM

@streeter said:
    I have found the perfect way to avoid inflation.
    Just don't spend money.
    It works.

until you get hungry or run out of gas

• Options

Your assets can inflate but it goes without saying that assets inflating and the low inflation of last year is much better

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    U.S. consumer prices jump 6.2% in October, the biggest inflation surge in more than 30 years

Inflation is manageable to non existent? let me know when they publish a recipe for lumber stew.

You've never heard of stone stew? It recipe has been around since 1775.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Note that the media is pumping the "inflation is not bad" message.

Why is Daniel Tosh putting on clown makeup?

• Options

A nation of debtors results in a weak economy.
    A nation of savers results in a strong economy.

so, just who is to blame?

• Options

@derryb said:

Not sure but my savings account is still expanding just as I am certain many others here on this forums are as well. As old and grumpy as it may be. RGDS!

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so diversified I don't know what in the hell is going on!

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 11:22AM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Not sure but my savings account is still expanding just as I am certain many others here on this forums are as well. As old and grumpy as it may be. RGDS!

so what's your net loss on that expansion after inflation takes a bite out of eats all of it? You'll find that inflation is causing your savings to LOSE money.

gutter savings?

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

so what's your net loss on that expansion after inflation takes a bite out of it?

gutter savings?

Guess it all depends on what I need to buy. Luckily I'm a simple man so I don't need much. Fuel, food and a small handful of modern "luxuries". No need for Chinese trinkets so inflation while present is very minor in my world. Raises, bonuses, gooberment stimys and investment gainz more than compensated. LG!!!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

so what's your net loss on that expansion after inflation takes a bite out of it?

gutter savings?

If folk dont have a loss on silver from 45 to 25 then folk dont have a loss on their savings.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

Congratulations on being debt free. Few are able to achieve that these days. Did you have a mortgage burning party when you paid your house off?

• Options

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Congratulations on being debt free. Few are able to achieve that these days. Did you have a mortgage burning party when you paid your house off?

Still have a mortgage on most recent property. 15 yr at sub 3% and we've recently started tripling the payments. Could just be done with it all tomorrow but the payoff $$$ are earning much better than what the loan is costing. And FWIW the mortgage was a much better investment than the gutter. RGDS!

• Options

Tripling reads like a bad idea

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Tripling reads like a bad idea

I sometimes read the same thought. But still 110% certain it is a better decision than investing in the gutter. Good luck to you, although I know you don't need it. RGDS!

• Options

I love using others peoples money to buy appreciating assets.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Works out well every time until it doesn't...

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 7:33AM

@cohodk said:

unless you're a tax taker and not a tax payer, others are buying appreciating assets with YOUR money. lol

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ready for some mega fake inflation messaging ...... it is coming :#

• Options

• Options

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

Works out well every time until it doesn't...

It always has. And derryb can prove it with that chart he shows of the dollar losing its value.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 12:29PM

Returning to sound money

Money supply has increased an average 230% per year since 2020. Price inflation should be no surprise. Looks like those here who predicted current and future inflation as a result of the QE and other dollar pumping programs were spot on. It took a decade but devaluing the currency by diluting it always results in loss of its purchasing power (price inflation). Much of delay was caused by the funny money first going into the hands of the Wall Street crowd.

"The growth in the M1 (US money supply) quantity since February 2020 has been without precedent exploding from $4 trillion, already an historically high level, to nearly $20 trillion this September. That is an average annualised M1 inflation of 230%. It is simply currency debasement and has yet to impact on prices fully. Much of the increase has gone into the financial sector through quantitative easing, so its progress into the non-financial economy and the effects on consumer prices are delayed — but only delayed — as it will increasingly undermine the dollar’s purchasing power."

• Options

@derryb said:
    Returning to sound money

Money supply has increased an average 230% per year since 2020. Price inflation should be no surprise. Looks like those here who predicted current and future inflation as a result of the QE and other dollar pumping programs were spot on.

Actually the constant barrage of inflation crying was dead wrong. The QE programs from 2008-2019 resulted in very little inflation. It was only after a massive distruption of the global supply chain AND the ridiculous infusion of trillions of dollars (and dollar equivalents) across the globe in less than 1 year did inflation finally take root.

Those who predicted inflation would come when the supply/demand equation is disrupted and money is put directly into the hands of the people where most accurate.

Inflation occurs when when too much money chases too few things, right? So what have we now, trillions of dollars given directly to people over the last 20 months by both administrations to buy stuff that is in short supply due to global production halts.

And as shown by one forum member almost 8 months ago, producers are finally realizing higher costs which will result in a new, higher, floor being established for the price of everything.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2021 10:55AM

@cohodk said:

Actually the constant barrage of inflation crying was dead wrong. The QE programs from 2008-2019 resulted in very little inflation. It was only after a massive distruption of the global supply chain AND the ridiculous infusion of trillions of dollars (and dollar equivalents) across the globe in less than 1 year did inflation finally take root.

Current round of inflation began well before any supply chain disruptions. It has been coiling like a spring since QE began in 2009, especially when money supply doubled between 2012 and 2020. Increasing the money supply by 500% in just the past year sealed the deal. As I said, "Much of (inflation) delay was caused by the funny money first going into the hands of the Wall Street crowd."

So, according to you, when supply chains return to normal, so will prices. LOL

Supply issues are irrelevant to prices unless they result in shortages. No shortage of food at the local grocery stores or long lines at the gas station. All I see is a shortage of lower prices.

At this point the only thing that will tame inflation is a massive rate increase.

This discussion has been closed.