Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Civil War Token Mega Thread

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PennyGuy Excellent post and token!
    So, is the town named after him or is it just a coincidence that he shares his name with the city?
    Like Bill Jones' post about Marr, it is great to have a face to go with a person's name. Adds so much to the token when you know the history behind it. Really makes it come alive!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

@DCW
    The City of Jackson was founded in 1829 and named Jacksonburg, in honor of President Jackson.later changed to Jackson. This was before William Jackson arrived. Mr. Jackson was born, raised, and educated in New York State then moved to Leoni Michigan ( Just east of Jackson).

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 5:40AM

Now those two are opposite opinions of the times!!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like tokens. ... I just never collected them.

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

clipped planchet, axial lighting.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

@Jimnight said:
    I like tokens. ... I just never collected them.

Proceed with caution ⚠️
    Collecting exonumia is a slippery slope!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

A unique two state mule. One side has a merchant from Illinois while the other is from Missouri.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

At PCGS getting graded...

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport

I'm assuming you know this, but for someone reading this with only a casual interest in these tokens it is worth noting that the die sinker of this token is Robert Lovett, identified on your piece by the initials "R.L."

Lovett used the French Liberty motif on the enigmatic Confederate Cent as well:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Lovett used the French Liberty motif on the enigmatic Confederate Cent as well

Interesting that he didn't put his initials on that one!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Plausible deniability?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

When he was helping the CSA with their coinage, he was concerned that he may be charge with treason so he decided it was best to not sign his work.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

When he was helping the CSA with their coinage, he was concerned that he may be charge with treason so he decided it was best to not sign his work.

Not like John Hancock then ;)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two collectors have posted the most popular M.L. Marshell token with the fish and the "rare coin" ad on it, but here the scarcer one. This piece is 29 mm in diameter, it is listed as an R-5.

For reasons unknown to me, this piece does not seem to be very popular. When I had one as a dealer, it took a long time to sell it while the "rare coin" one "flew off the shelves." The claim is that Marshell issued a token like this before the war, and he did, BUT this is dated "1862" which makes it a Civil War token. In fact it is an overdate with the "0" visible under the "2."

Marshell greater interest was in fishing, not coins. If you had gone into his store, you probably would have noted that most of the space was devoted to fishing tackle not coins. He died in 1883.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Two collectors have posted the most popular M.L. Marshell token with the fish and the "rare coin" ad on it, but here the scarcer one. This piece is 29 mm in diameter, it is listed as an R-5.

For reasons unknown to me, this piece does not seem to be very popular. When I had one as a dealer, it took a long time to sell it while the "rare coin" one "flew off the shelves." The claim is that Marshell issued a token like this before the war, and he did, BUT this is dated "1862" which makes it a Civil War token. In fact it is an overdate with the "0" visible under the "2."

Here is the ML Marshall 1860 Merchant card for comparison:
    You'll note that a tree was added in the field to the 1862 version, along with a pair of stars on either side of Oswego, NY.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

Here are some counterstamped M.L. Marshall coins to round out the display.

I wish these babies were mine, but alas I only found them in auction archives.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the Higgins primitives. Bill Jones appears to have the nicest one I have seen; my example looks like something peeled off the sole of my shoe.

• Options

@kaz said:
    I really like the Higgins primitives. Bill Jones appears to have the nicest one I have seen; my example looks like something peeled off the sole of my shoe.

Given the grades of many Indiana primitives (VF), these pieces circulated in northern Indiana for some years after the war. I acquired a couple of Mint State pieces from the late Steve Tannenbaum. I”ll post them in the next couple days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mosjcoinmosjcoin Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Back in the day oops was said a lot

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

The power of commerce was such a strong force as evident in the ingenuity of all who made their own money during trying times. This thread is awesome! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

I am a little late, but here are a couple of Mint State Indiana Primatives . These came from the Cindy Wibker collection when she was selling her impressive group via Steve Tannenbaum.

Here is die combination 175/403a

Here is the "mother die" for #175, which is #174.

And here is a Brown Unc. 221/400a.

Here is the "mother die" for #211, which is #210

• Options

Henry Higgins copied the "Capital die" #233. Here is a Mint State example.

Appearantly Higgins was not happy with his copy, or at least he thought that people might not recognize the building because he lost so much detail. That led him to add the word "CAPITAL" along the bottom of the building.

Here is the "capital die" compared with Higgins' "Value me as you pleas" die. People have speculated that Higgins had one of Samuel Higley's coppers and copied the phrase from it.

Here is one of the store card tokens that Higgins made with the "capital" on the obverse. The variety number is IN 915 A-2a.

• Options

@BillJones
    Always a good read. Thanks for contributing! This is one I have not come across.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones
    Thanks for the post! I recently purchased an example of the 2a variety so I found it very interesting. Great history!

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

No date on this coin but definitely a CWT

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options

@jafo50 said:

Appears to be Fuld-164/312a, for your reference.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@jafo50 said:

Appears to be Fuld-164/312a, for your reference.

Thanks, I don't think it too rare either. The last time I looked it up I think it was an R1.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file