Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Civil War Token Mega Thread

123457»

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love token

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Ladies Man" John Hawkins Cleveland, OH

I just love this Civil War token, and I pick up nearly every example that I can. I find it to be alot harder to obtain than the rarity level suggests, especially problem free ones. This one is certified NGC XF40, and it's a nice, wholesome piece.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Kurt

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to @SimpleCollector's friends and family.

Here's to keeping him in our memories "for ever".

This one is not mine, but I once had the chance to buy it.

Doesn't look like much, but is probably the key to the entire Pennsylvania Civil War token set. Only one known

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

edited January 31, 2023 8:18AM

@DCW said:
    This one is not mine, but I once had the chance to buy it.

Doesn't look like much, but is probably the key to the entire Pennsylvania Civil War token set. Only one known

How many people are collecting the Pennsylvania Civil War Token set?

Is there a list of tokens in the Philadelphia CWT set, like a Registry Set?

This looks like the building on 30 Strawberry St.

WI-510V-1a. Chas. Kleinsteuber, Milwaukee, WI. NGC MS66 BN ex. Donald Groves Partrick Collection.

Charles F. Kleinsteuber owned a machine shop in Milwaukee during the Civil War that was best known as the location the typewriter was invented. The image of an honest looking man with a long beard is one of the more endearing storecards in the entire Civil War token series. Dies prepared by Johann Marr.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

@DCW said:
    Picked up this high grade Jos. H. Merriam storecard a short time:
    MA115E-2a NGC MS67RB

Wow! This one is a blazer! Congrats on picking it up!

edited June 3, 2023 12:38AM

This is very cool. The 25 stars got me to look up the number of states during the Civil War.

The 25 stars represent the 20 free states and 5 slave states that didn't leave the Union.

https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/facts.htm

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2023 1:09PM

A newp that arrived last week: F-14/297a Army & Navy NGC MS65 Bn. The color is quite vibrant:

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

This is very cool. The 25 stars got me to look up the number of states during the Civil War.

The 25 stars represent the 20 free states and 5 slave states that didn't leave the Union.

Interesting -- except that the example in your post is a 26 star variety (and there is a reason for that). There are also 30 and 36 star varieties of the same The Flag Of Our Union die as well.

@tokenpro said:

@Zoins said:

Interesting -- except that the example in your post is a 26 star variety (and there is a reason for that). There are also 30 and 36 star varieties of the same The Flag Of Our Union die as well.

Interesting! The 26th star looks like an afterthought that was squeezed in.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are my favorite CWT'S . All 4 are the USS Monitor.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Picked up this high grade Jos. H. Merriam storecard a short time:
    MA115E-2a NGC MS67RB

I already had a very nice example, but this one seemed to match better with the Good For A Scent token:
    MA115E-1a NGC MS66+RB

Loads of original red.
    Let's see some Civil War Tokens, folks. This thread has been dormant for too long!

DCW, I'm guessing those are the two finest known, is that correct?
    I have 2 of my own, previously shown here, and shown again now, the first in PC 65BN, and the second in PC 64R.

Tom

@TPRC

I haven't personally seen any better. There is a MA115E-1a or two graded MS67BN. I believe that if I were to resubmit, this one would be 67 as well. And quite possibly given full red designation. I have seen other CWTs with less red granted the RD designation.

But the grade on the label really isn't that important to me or most other token collectors. It's about eye appeal, and these two have it.

There's no real criteria for grading CWTs or other exonumia, so it's all over the place.

Thanks for your comments.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have not seen any nicer ones than yours. Plus, they are very well matched and should be sold as a pair someday! That's a lot of red for an RB, especially on the 2a.
    Best.
    Tom

Tom

@TPRC
    Thanks. This is my other 2A, an NGC MS65RB owned by Tanenbaum and George Fuld.

Not many times can you upgrade a piece that carries the Tanenbaum provenance! The guy had the best of the best. I really like this piece as well, it's just less red than the new purchase

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

edited July 9, 2023 7:27PM

Here is a very nicely toned example of the "Money Makes the Mare Go" token by William H Bridgens:

This one of paired with the Braun & Schellworth obverse die and struck in brass

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file