Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Civil War Token Mega Thread

DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2020 6:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a thread that is designed to draw attention to that niche of the hobby so many of us already find alluring, tokens and medals that were issued during the American Civil War.
The idea here is to create a virtual museum on the forum, share a little history, and perhaps turn others on to this fascinating area of numismatics.
I'll start with one of the most iconic Civil War tokens in the entire catalog: the storied "Good for a Scent" token.
MA-115E-1a Good For A Scent/ Jos. H. Merriam, 18 Brattle Sq. Boston NGC MS66+RB ex. Steve Tanenbaum Collection

This is the work of Joseph H. Merriam of Boston, a highly skilled medalist and stencil maker of the day. The obverse die is Merriam's business address, and the reverse features a golden retriever with his famous play on words. Merriam used this die on other tokens, but they are all very rare.
Post your Civil War tokens and medals to this thread and let's see if we can keep it going...

To further your understanding about this area of the hobby, please consider joining the Civil War Token Society. The quarterly journal they put out is worth the price of membership, and there are member discounts for reference books and occasional auctions.

http://cwtsociety.com

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best Good for Scent extant I think is posted above

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Best Good for Scent extant I think is posted above

Thanks, Brian. I have never seen its equal. After decades of collecting, Steve Tanenbaum chose to keep this one in his legendary set, so I cannot imagine a finer example out there. There are certainly a number of high grade examples, though, including a MS67BN.
    I may send it to PCGS one day to cross and Trueview.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2020 10:53PM

Amazing Good for a Scent Merriam tokens @DCW ! The surfaces and strike on those are out of this world! There are civil war tokens and there are Civil War Tokens. Yours are knockouts.

Great tokens from everyone else as well! It's great to see the variety :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW....That 'Good for a Scent' is a real beauty....I have always liked that token....never did acquire one though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I bought a dozen MS65 and above Good for Scents 10 years ago. The prices today are reflective of the increased appreciation!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stella said:
    Civil War Tokens are great.

Here is one of my favorites:

I am obsessed with this die maker, and this token is how it all began. There are a multitude of tokens that share this same obverse, most for vendors in Cincinnati, many with Vine St addresses, and almost all of them have very bold repunching mistakes. I have given him a nickname, "the Butcher of Vine St," and I have a bunch of his sloppy tokens in my collection.

Here is a picture of another common Cincinnati / Vine St token with bold repunching (the picture was harvested from Google, though I have a couple of examples)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2020 7:53AM

@Stella @seanq
    Interesting to note that Carl Haas chose the subject for his token because his name sounds like the German word for rabbit.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, @DCW . Whatever the reasoning, I think it is a fun pictorial type!

Looking forward to see what others have to share as well.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    One of my favorite tokens of all time:
    MA-115D-2b Good For A Scent/ Merriam & Co. NGC MS63 ex. Wierzba

This one is many times rarer than the standard variety. It uses the dog stock die but advertises Merriam's toad press on the obverse. Most examples are worn, making the toad look like a spring loaded lizard with a pancake on his head. So, it became known as the "salamander reverse." On a mint example like this, you can see the toad is just sitting on his lily pad.
    And here is an actual toad press manufactured by Joseph Merriam for comparison:
    These are rarer then the tokens themselves.

LOVE THIS !

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

@PennyGuy That is one tough piece! Congrats on the big pickup

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@coinsarefun I was wondering when you were going to show up! Nice smokers

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

Hah! The "Butcher of Vine St" made (and repunched in several places) a token for an actual butcher. I don't think I've seen this one before, thank you for sharing.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

@seanq said:
    I don't think I've seen this one before, thank you for sharing.

Exactly what this thread is about! Nice tokens everyone, let's keep this going.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

a most excellent thread !!!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@DCW Thanks, it was a pretty big deal for me to acquire it.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options

@PennyGuy said:

You should edit your above post to include a little history. I don't think many people know the rarity of your piece. A fascinating token!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@PennyGuy said:

You should edit your above post to include a little history. I don't think many people know the rarity of your piece. A fascinating token!

Thanks for the advice and interest, I have edited my post, above, to add some detail.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file