Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE) Currently unavailable

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the requirement for unopened boxes is being done to prevent COA forgeries?

Most of the COAs can be reproduced... there is no anti-CF that I am aware of.

It’ll all come out in the end, whether sealed, unsealed, COA or no COA, entombed or not.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will have a certificate. They will all have numbered COA's. You just won't know if it's one of the 100 signed ones.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be fun. I like when the mint gives us these chances to actually make a flip.> @Kudbegud said:

@Sweetpie said:

@JimTyler said:
    If you open to see the cert number you blew your chance to sell at unopened price. Not worth it.

I dont think there is a difference between an opened and an unopened box price.

From the Mint Press Release:
    It will cost $15 to have the COA encapsulated. "Coins must be submitted in original sealed government packaging."

So if you are sending in to PCGS for grading, with or without the COA encapsulated option, you will have to send the original sealed shipping box.

No, you only have to send a sealed box if you want the COA holdered too. If you are just getting the coin holdered, it does not have to be in a sealed box. The reason for the sealed box for the COA is so they know that coin goes with that COA. That way you can't cherry pick a nice coin and send it with a nice numbered COA, etc

@jwitten said:
    This will be fun. I like when the mint gives us these chances to actually make a flip.> @Kudbegud said:

@Sweetpie said:

@JimTyler said:
    If you open to see the cert number you blew your chance to sell at unopened price. Not worth it.

I dont think there is a difference between an opened and an unopened box price.

From the Mint Press Release:
    It will cost $15 to have the COA encapsulated. "Coins must be submitted in original sealed government packaging."

So if you are sending in to PCGS for grading, with or without the COA encapsulated option, you will have to send the original sealed shipping box.

No, you only have to send a sealed box if you want the COA holdered too. If you are just getting the coin holdered, it does not have to be in a sealed box. The reason for the sealed box for the COA is so they know that coin goes with that COA. That way you can't cherry pick a nice coin and send it with a nice numbered COA, etc

That sounds very reasonable.

• CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

I will beat anyones bids on these, real bids not magical fairy bids

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Wonder if they will let me send in my Apollo 11 poster/pictures That I have collected. There a much lower count?

Hey Gluggo - PMG will encapsulate your Apollo 11 engraved prints. Here are consecutive numbers of the limited release of 50 special prints from the ANA show in Chicago, hand signed by Mike Beck:

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinflip said:

Who is issuing magical fairy bids?

• CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinflip said:

Who is issuing magical fairy bids?

whoever decides who wants to BID higher just to drop it on us , knowing we will outbid, magical fairy bids ;)

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    To make a deal to buy and allow the seller an out if he/she "says" I didn't get one is more than fair but leaving yourself open for shady sellers. Top out at $200 you'll get every one at $350. Up to $700 by the time they arrive you won't get as many. I have also honored deals that went up after I made the deal, I kick myself in the ass then ship. I bought 3 items from Chewy.com a couple weeks ago. There were only 2 in the box. I was pissed, not because of human error we all can make but because I now had to have someone believe I wasn't lying. It is unacceptable to me to have to tell someone I made a deal with that I can't honor my deal because I didn't get the coin and putting them in the position of having to believe me and thinking it is possible I'm cheating the buyer. I don't need it in hand before I make a deal just a confirmed order.

I agree with you. I have done a fair number of these deals, on the forum and with MCM, and I have always kept my end....even when prices have gone up in the time between my deal and when I send it. I have even had a seller bump the agreed upon price up (I do believe it was Wondercoin who did that) as it was rising.

Lately, I think I have been "stung" by the USMint in that I got shut out. I felt bad as, like you say, there is now a position of the buying dealer (or collector) for the pre-sale deal, believing me in that I didn't get the item. Usually only an issue if the price is going up, but, my word is my life. It was like that before I was in the military, when I was in the military, and throughout my life after the military, but I do know that isn't true for many and that 99.9% online here have never met me in person.
    I don't like the pre-sales for that very reason :(
    (I am not against them....I just don't like feeling like crap if I can't keep my end of the bargain, through no fault of my own, just because I tried and failed to get the item).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Point five zero thank you for that.

• VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

Just saw this.

PCGS to Encapsulate COAs With 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof Silver Eagles

http://www.coinnews.net/2019/11/08/pcgs-to-encapsulate-coas-with-2019-s-enhanced-reverse-proof-silver-eagles/

Anyone going this route?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I agree with you. I have done a fair number of these deals, on the forum and with MCM, and I have always kept my end....even when prices have gone up in the time between my deal and when I send it. I have even had a seller bump the agreed upon price up (I do believe it was Wondercoin who did that) as it was rising.”

Yes, it is true. And that was another “incredible” silver eagle deal from the past as well. And, the bump up (gift) was significant. Just always tried to be fair here.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited November 11, 2019 11:14AM

@wondercoin said:
    “I agree with you. I have done a fair number of these deals, on the forum and with MCM, and I have always kept my end....even when prices have gone up in the time between my deal and when I send it. I have even had a seller bump the agreed upon price up (I do believe it was Wondercoin who did that) as it was rising.”

Yes, it is true. And that was another “incredible” silver eagle deal from the past as well. And, the bump up (gift) was significant. Just always tried to be fair here.

Wondercoin

Have you posted a bid yet? Never mind. Found it on the BST

edited November 11, 2019 6:31PM

@Vpd said:
    Just saw this.

http://www.coinnews.net/2019/11/08/pcgs-to-encapsulate-coas-with-2019-s-enhanced-reverse-proof-silver-eagles/

Anyone going this route?

Straight from the horses mouth. Our host has started a thread on this: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1027985/new-dual-encapsulation-of-u-s-mint-serialized-coas-alongside-2019-reverse-proof

What’s another $15? 3 cups of java from some expensive coffee place can be bypassed for a couple days. :D

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Have you posted a bid yet?

It's on the BST.

@smokincoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Have you posted a bid yet?

It's on the BST.

Yes, I saw it after I posted. Thanks!

• For flipping purposes are these likely go for more immediately after the sale or is sitting on them for a while a better odd?

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

nobody knows, you roll the dice. I have a feeling I will probably only get one, so I will be keeping it for awhile and getting it graded

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clokwise said:
    For flipping purposes are these likely go for more immediately after the sale or is sitting on them for a while a better odd?

Things tend to sell higher directly after the mint sells out, but this may be a long term project... There are more than 30K ASE collectors.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

a PR-70 should hit 4 figures sooner or later

@coinpalice said:
    a PR-70 should hit 4 figures sooner or later

They already are.

Whoever is pre-selling them is going to be a little upset if production problems limit the yield of 70s.

@BackroadJunkie said:

@clokwise said:
    For flipping purposes are these likely go for more immediately after the sale or is sitting on them for a while a better odd?

Things tend to sell higher directly after the mint sells out, but this may be a long term project... There are more than 30K ASE collectors.

This is true. But, per another post I made, this could actually hurt the ASE market. Many ASE collectors might just decide that it isn't worth collecting. Once they break completeness and start deciding that "special finishes" need not be included, then future sales could suffer.

Of course, all the buzz could help the market. One never knows until it happens.

@Vpd said:
    Just saw this.

Anyone going this route?

Nope.

I have just finished a project to re-marry my OGP with the COA's. (The OGP, COA's and Ag/Au coins were divorced when I put all the silver and gold into my SDB's. After a number of years and a variety of reasons, I figured it was dumb having all the CoA's separate. And it was a highly irritating project, but it did remind me of all the different types and sizes of those CoA's.

I suspect this might be a one-off encapsulation of CoA's, because of Ryder's signature. Can you imagine the size of the slab of say, the 25th Anniversary ASE CoA? Even the Pride set has a sizeable CoA.

Now, it might be a possibility if I could see the coin/CoA before I sent it in, since I hate sending coins in sight unseen, but not going the sealed box routine just for the CoA...

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@clokwise said:

This is true. But, per another post I made, this could actually hurt the ASE market. Many ASE collectors might just decide that it isn't worth collecting. Once they break completeness and start deciding that "special finishes" need not be included, then future sales could suffer.

I think if that were true, the 96-W would have killed things long ago, and it's a mainstream proof finish. How many collectors did they lose in 2009? (Yes, there were a few, but a minority.) Special finish or not, it's still an ASE, with a history of 13 years now. There's going to be a lot of moaning, but I find it hard to believe that collectors will think a collection is complete without the special finish ASE's.

There are a lot of unattainable key coins in a lot of series, but that doesn't stop anyone from collecting them. That's where I'm putting my money... ;)

(Notice I didn't even mention registry sets.... :D)

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@clokwise said:

I think if that were true, the 96-W would have killed things long ago, and it's a mainstream proof finish. How many collectors did they lose in 2009? (Yes, there were a few, but a minority.) Special finish or not, it's still an ASE, with a history of 13 years now. There's going to be a lot of moaning, but I find it hard to believe that collectors will think a collection is complete without the special finish ASE's.

There are a lot of unattainable key coins in a lot of series, but that doesn't stop anyone from collecting them. That's where I'm putting my money... ;)

(Notice I didn't even mention registry sets.... :D)

I'm thinking less about the "mainstream" proof because it is mainstream. I would look more to the 2017 enhanced uncirculated cents, for example. People can easily rationalize leaving out "special finishes" as artificial rarities.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it could happen.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be only on a gut level, but this plethora of issues of finish has really damped down interest in the series as a whole and collecting each and every date and minimal variation. I for one have given up on them even though I have all the varieties (xpt the 08/07 rev. type). So I do not get the regular proofs anymore, and I suspect the same has occurred with MANY others; in fact of all the collectors I knew as a child, all but one has given up and he is an even more infrequent buyer of mint issues than me.
    Love the coins, but this is a factor.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

More than fair offer from Wondercoin.

However, IMO, too much eurphoria out there on this issue. I don't see much upside initially unless you are dealing in quantities and for 70's. I just don't see the secondary market buyers materializing----this isn't 2006 anymore.

Mint News Blog checks in:

2019 American Silver Eagle one-ounce Enhanced Reverse Proof coin on sale November 14

Interesting they don't even mention Ryder's signing of the first 100 CoA's. But they do have this:

The 2019 American Silver Eagle one-ounce Enhanced Reverse Proof coin will also be available at the Mint’s sales centers in Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; and Denver. Availability may be limited and subject to change.

The retail location in Philadelphia is reporting a USM error in press release.....no coins at retail locations
    The USM better correct ASAP.....lots of bad info out there right now

@7over8 said:
    The retail location in Philadelphia is reporting a USM error in press release.....no coins at retail locations
    The USM better correct ASAP.....lots of bad info out there right now

lol, if I were Aramark, I'd close the stores on Thursday and put a sign out saying they don't have the coins. If you thought it was a circus for the Kennedy...

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think they might have the waiting room open for this one?

Whew!

Posting this here because some of them are about flipping this coin.

Look at the “Activity” list.

Too many people using it thinking it is the PM (private message) tool and posting personal information.

If your one of them you should delete/edit because everyone can see that you posted your name, address, phone, etc.

How can you check? Click on “Activity.”

End of PSA.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

question ???????????

U.S. Mint Director David J. Ryder plans to personally autograph the first 100 certificates.

info from the Baltimore Show posted in the other thread states that Mr. Ryder will also be
    signing COA certificates there at the show

How will this affect the number of signed certificates ?????????????????

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    edited November 13, 2019 8:51AM

@HATTRICK said:
    question ???????????

U.S. Mint Director David J. Ryder plans to personally autograph the first 100 certificates.

info from the Baltimore Show posted in the other thread states that Mr. Ryder will also be
    signing COA certificates there at the show

How will this affect the number of signed certificates ?????????????????

Presumably, the ones included with the coin will be numbered 1 though 100. (The CoA's will be numbered (I assume) 1 though 30,000. Ryder stole this idea from Canada. :D ) The ones signed at the show won't be in that range, so unless they start forging the CoA's (probably not that hard) the ones with a number >100 will be signed at the show.

I can't wait to see what a Ryder signed CoA will go for on ebay... BWAhahahahaha....

Edit to add, will sequences make a CoA more valuable than others? For example, radars (12321, 21312, etc.), sequences (12345)?

(No, I don't care, but will be amusing to see if they do... ;))

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Wonder how much the late night TV guy will have and how much it’ll cost.

My thoughts exactly :o

Kennedys are my quest...

@smokincoin said:
    Anyone else think they might have the waiting room open for this one?

They're not going to do something that dumb innovative again. :) There's a reason PBGS didn't get renewed as the fulfillment company. (That, and I don't think PBGS wanted to be in the fulfillment biz anymore.)

PFSWeb has a dynamic server farm. The only thing that will probably limit things on Thursday are the number of connections PFSWeb can handle, and that's a finite number. (And every time a button is clicked, it's a connection.)

I think they've solved their CC lookup bottleneck, but we'll find out tomorrow. Heh...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 9:49AM

Maybe the COA can be also graded PS70 or PS69? Paper Strike, as opposed to SP special strike. Then there can also be slabbed COA's, but with even more special labels and signed by other celebrities. ;)

I want a SP70, and a PS70 COA and signed by David, Joe, and other special people. Maybe I can sell it for $10,000+ like the LOL gold Kennedy. If I can make enough on a rare Ryder signed paper COA, maybe my loss on my 1995 won't hurt so bad. This is all insane.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are they not available yet?

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot to set your clock back a day for mega daylight savings time.

oops!

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alarm clock set. I'll be ready but will the servers be ready? Any odds on a hang while they catch up ?

From NEW USM Press Release -

"The 2019 American Eagle Once Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin WILL NOT be available at the Mint’s sales centers in Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia; and Denver."

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 6:41PM

So far 100+ have been sold on eBay today the 13th.

Tomorrow we’ll find out if someone forgot to adjust their time for DST. :D

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 8:51PM

I'll be trying to get a few of these like everyone else tomorrow.

That said I agree with some others who have speculated that these could in fact diminish the collector base for ASEs.

The 1995 W and the 08 w/rev of 07 were not intentionally artificially created rarities. On the other hand this one is.

The beauty of this series has been that they are generally affordable with people not having to spend hundreds of dollars per coin. For the actual collectors who miss out tomorrow - of whom the wall no doubt be many - this will no longer be the case.

Further, as others have speculated is possible, what will the future hold? A 20,000 mintage one next year?

I can definitely see this whole thing turning off actual collectors thus hurting the series in the long run.

With respect to the comments regarding ebay pre-sales....

As we all know such sales are zero risk for the buyer at least in the short-term and complete risk for the seller with ebay's mandatory return policies.

If prices exceed what was paid for a pre-sale before the end of the mandatory return period the buyer can simply return the coin. As an added bonus the seller will suck up the loss of the PayPal fees paid - just the latest in a seemingly endless stream of anti seller ebay policies. I would guess that the big boys are exempted from this. So the pre-sale prices I think don't really mean very much at all.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    edited November 14, 2019 12:42AM

@Raufus said:

That said I agree with some others who have speculated that these could in fact diminish the collector base for ASEs.

The 1995 W and the 08 w/rev of 07 were not intentionally artificially created rarities. On the other hand this one is.

The beauty of this series has been that they are generally affordable with people not having to spend hundreds of dollars per coin. For the actual collectors who miss out tomorrow - of whom the wall no doubt be many - this will no longer be the case.

I beg to differ. The 95W was an intentionally created coin by Diehl to be included with the 4-piece gold set for the 10th anniversary. You had to buy $1000 in gold to get the 95W.

It was created completely outside of normal ASE channels and unavailable by any other means.

If that's not an artificially created rarity, then this one isn't either...

Edit:
    From Coin World in 2014:
    Three years that haunt silver Eagle collectors

The 1995 10th Anniversary five-coin set featured a silver American Eagle. But hobbyists had to buy the four gold coins (Proof $5, $10, $25 and $50 gold American Eagles) in the set, at $999, to secure the Proof American Eagle silver coin as a “bonus.”

Because many folks (including me) could not afford the set, we lost out on the chance to buy the bonus coin. Worse, it was the first year that the “W” Mint mark appeared in the silver series. So we also coveted that seemingly unobtainable Mint mark.

At least this one will be affordable for everyone.

Today at Noon! Good luck everyone. (At least everyone who's in line for the circus. :D )

@Raufus said:

Further, as others have speculated is possible, what will the future hold? A 20,000 mintage one next year?

I can definitely see this whole thing turning off actual collectors thus hurting the series in the long run.

With respect to the comments regarding ebay pre-sales....

As we all know such sales are zero risk for the buyer at least in the short-term and complete risk for the seller with ebay's mandatory return policies.

If prices exceed what was paid for a pre-sale before the end of the mandatory return period the buyer can simply return the coin. As an added bonus the seller will suck up the loss of the PayPal fees paid - just the latest in a seemingly endless stream of anti seller ebay policies. I would guess that the big boys are exempted from this. So the pre-sale prices I think don't really mean very much at all.

Why do people continually blame ebay for the PayPal policy? They also blame ebay for the sales tax problem.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

What could possibly go wrong? Oooops, someone turned off the "household limit" switch by accident. Ooops the mint decides to sell this Eagle next week in a sudden schedule postponement. Oooops, mint computers are down for hours due to a sudden Windows update. Oooops, one of the "Big Boys" lined up 52,000 purchasers and snatched almost all of them. Oooops, the Eagle is stuck under the OGP in glue like so many currency sets of recent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file