New Dual Encapsulation Of U.S. Mint Serialized COAs Alongside 2019 Reverse Proof

PCGS_SocialMediaPCGS_SocialMedia Posts: 20 mod
edited November 12, 2019 12:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS will begin encapsulating United States Mint serialized Certificates of Authenticity (COA) alongside the accompanying coins. The service will also provide a pedigree on the coin insert with the matching serial number.

This new service is being launched in conjunction with the new, low-mintage American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin, which will be accompanied from the Mint with COAs bearing a serial number. Collectors and dealers will have an opportunity to submit these coins to PCGS at the Whitman Baltimore Winter Expo, November 14-17, as well as by PCGS’ regular submission procedures.

For the full article please visit: https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-announces-dual-encapsulation-coa

«1

Comments

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For those of us who are “completionists.” ;)

  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It would take a redesign of the insert to accommodate both. The large holder now used for the 5 oz ATB may not be large enough to hold both in a portrait alignment as displayed now. A good question though @BustHalfBrian which was probably discussed by the staff before going for this new added slab.
    Another question would be: Will the Mint produce more serialized coins in the future?


  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    Good chance the paper and ink would cause a reaction and could tone or discolor the coin.

  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

    @ifthevamzarockin said:

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    Good chance the paper and ink would cause a reaction and could tone or discolor the coin.

    You can have the plastic be attached to create one slab without having the coin and cert share the same air...

    23 years old. Lurking and learning since 2010.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 6:19PM

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    My very first thought.

    @ifthevamzarockin said:

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    Good chance the paper and ink would cause a reaction and could tone or discolor the coin.

    Is it any different than what's in a regular cert label?

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What slab box will this fit in?

  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ms70 "Is it any different than what's in a regular cert label?"

    PCGS may use acid free paper and the mint may not.

  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭

    At the next Millionaire Numismatic Auction in Houston, COA #77777 Will be bid up to $27,850.00. In 5 years it will be reauctioned at $95,000.00 .

    Not to be out done by their Westerner Counterparts, Chinese Numismatists will Bid #88888 up to a mind boggling $800,000
    at a Hong Kong Convention.

    *** urgent message for Mr. Osama(Twin Towers) Bin Laden : I have a free WTC "Death Coin" Set for you. Please reply with your shipping address. For the safety of your Coins they will be hand delivered by Armed Agents of the CIA Courier Services. *** Coins successfully delivered May 1, 2011
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 4:09AM

    It might be cool to have a Registry Set with the COAs. Anyone know if this will happen?

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ms70 "Is it any different than what's in a regular cert label?"

    PCGS may use acid free paper and the mint may not.

    Maybe if it was one slab with a seal like the edge separating them..... IF this is even the issue. Either way, they would display much nicer together. Like a picture frame.

  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

    Will there be a registry for the COAs only? :#


    Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin
  • djmdjm Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

    The cost for encapsulating the COA is $15.00.
    From the News Release:

    To encapsulate your Mint COA, an additional $15 will be added to the submission fees. Bulk pricing is available for qualifying orders. Contact [email protected] (949) 567-1275.

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    I think it would be a great idea to house them together in the same slab.

  • WeissWeiss Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

    COA literally means certificate of authenticity.

    PCGS is certifying a certification.

    If only CAC certified moderns.

    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • DCWDCW Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    I think it would be a great idea to house them together in the same slab.

    Agreed. Why are they not doing this? And who wants a separate slab for the COA??

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not certifying the COA but encapsulating the COA as a preservation method.

    I do not see a certificate number (or barcode) on the label unless it’s on the reverse.

    IMO

  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DCW said:

    @Zoins said:

    @BustHalfBrian said:
    Why not put the coin and cert in one large slab instead of two separate slabs?

    I think it would be a great idea to house them together in the same slab.

    Agreed. Why are they not doing this? And who wants a separate slab for the COA??

    It would take a redesign of the insert to accommodate both. The largest holder now used for the 5 oz ATB may not be large enough to hold both in a portrait alignment as displayed now. Having the COA horizontal might fit the large holder with the coin above or below the COA. If so, would this bother you?


  • rickoricko Posts: 69,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think it is a great idea for those who preserve the paperwork as well as the coin....It will be a selling point when the post-issue flipping starts. Cheers, RickO

  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I foresee a ton of scratched up COA holders. You know people will store the coin and the holder together, and since they don't stack, the coin holder will probably starch the heck out of the COA holder.

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 19,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    Why not have PCGS Banknote holder the COA? It would also serve as a timely cross-promotion to do this. A thick slab for a piece of paper seems like overkill to me.

    My understanding is that PCGS Currency was discontinued and their business relationship was severed. Does PCGS have a new banknote service?

    As to why not, I kind of like the hard plastic slabs.

  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @messydesk said:
    Why not have PCGS Banknote holder the COA? It would also serve as a timely cross-promotion to do this. A thick slab for a piece of paper seems like overkill to me.

    My understanding is that PCGS Currency was discontinued and their business relationship was severed. Does PCGS have a new banknote service?

    It was just announced in a CW article online yesterday. Complete details available Nov. 19, full launch in January. They already do banknotes in Europe and Asia.

    It seems like they missed an opportunity for a "soft opening" with the COA.

  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

    I agree with others. Great idea to perserve the certification. It's very easy to have the corners of these cards to get bent even in storage. Until this, one of the best ways I've found to keep them safely is in those plastic baseball card holders. I'm sure others do.


    Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭

    smart move if you ask me.


    Loves me some shiny!
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭

    PCGS example photo is PR69 🤔🤔🤔🤔

  • opportunityopportunity Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

    Wonder what percentages of these will get a 70?

    Rule of Acquisition #9: "Opportunity plus instinct equals profit."

  • rip_frip_f Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

    @opportunity said:
    Wonder what percentages of these will get a 70?

    I know the one I got in Baltimore has a bent corner - I'm hoping for at least a 68.

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am filling out my form to get this encapsulated with the COA. I was wondering do I mark # MODERN # a $16.00 charge? That’s for 1965 to current. Seems like the best choice just asking, TYIA

    plus the other charges including the extra $15.00 after marking other and writing Reverse Proof COA?

  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gluggo - call CS to get the procedure straight from the source.


  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gluggo said:
    I am filling out my form to get this encapsulated with the COA. I was wondering do I mark # MODERN # a $16.00 charge? That’s for 1965 to current. Seems like the best choice just asking, TYIA

    plus the other charges including the extra $15.00 after marking other and writing Reverse Proof COA?

    https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-announces-dual-encapsulation-coa

    Extract from above link:

    Here are guidelines and additional details pertaining to the new PCGS dual encapsulation program:

    Only available for the American Eagle 2019 One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof coin.

    Coins must be submitted in original sealed government packaging.

    Qualifying coins will be receiving Certificate of Authenticity (COA) number pedigree by default (for example, “COA No. XXXXX”).

    To encapsulate your Mint COA, an additional $15 will be added to the submission fees. Bulk pricing is available for qualifying orders. Contact [email protected] (949) 567-1275.

    No minimum quantity required.

    For the Reverse Proof COA encapsulation, mark "Other" in the service level section of the submission form, indicate "Reverse Proof COA”

    Standard shipping and handling fees apply.

    You must be a PCGS Collectors Club member or PCGS Authorized Dealer to submit directly to PCGS. To join the PCGS Collectors Club, click here.

    For any other questions, please contact PCGS Customer Service Monday through Friday 7:00AM to 5:00PM PST at 1-800-447-8848.

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you kudbe I got the form all filled out and will review it with one of the Professional peoples at PCGS .
    I just have to remember NOT to open the box once she arrives Tuesday . In fact I might as well find me the box to stuff it in now!

  • coinnoob782coinnoob782 Posts: 18
    edited November 17, 2019 12:51PM

    How does PCGS tally the Premium Guuarantee on a coin like this? Im trying to figure out how much it is going to cost to do this. I assume its $65 for the grading, $15 for the COA, $18 for the First Strike label, $10 for handling. Shipping and Premium Guarantee are what im not sure of. Also if this is my first grading and i join as a gold member do the free vouchers apply?

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinnoob782 said:
    How does PCGS tally the Premium Guuarantee on a coin like this? Im trying to figure out how much it is going to cost to do this. I assume its $65 for the grading, $15 for the COA, $18 for the First Strike label, $10 for handling. Shipping and Premium Guarantee are what im not sure of. Also if this is my first grading and i join as a gold member do the free vouchers apply?

    What submission level are you going to use?

    “Guarantee Premium (1% of PCGS Price Guide value or Declared Value). Applies to Rarities, Crossovers and Reconsiderations.”

    Modern submissions don’t calculate premium guarantee for the grading fee.

    https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

  • coinnoob782coinnoob782 Posts: 18
    edited November 17, 2019 1:11PM

    I wasnt sure of that, they say to check the other box, is that on top of the grading? I guess i would do the Express.What would the value be on something this new? This is where i am getting confused. I have no idea how to calculate that. Last time i looked i didnt see anything in the price guide.

    Edit, OK gotcha on the no Premium Guarantee on modern submissions. I missed that

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinnoob782 said:
    I wasnt sure of that, they say to check the other box, is that on top of the grading? I guess i would do the Express.What would the value be on something this new? This is where i am getting confused. I have no idea how to calculate that. Last time i looked i didnt see anything in the price guide.

    Edit, OK gotcha on the no Premium Guarantee on modern submissions. I missed that

    For #8 coin value (insurance purposes) you could put what it cost you to buy or average auction prices since there is no value listed with PCGS price guide.

  • Thank you sir !

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When will we see the first PO1?

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 7:24PM

    @coinnoob782 said:
    How does PCGS tally the Premium Guuarantee on a coin like this? Im trying to figure out how much it is going to cost to do this. I assume its $65 for the grading, $15 for the COA, $18 for the First Strike label, $10 for handling. Shipping and Premium Guarantee are what im not sure of. Also if this is my first grading and i join as a gold member do the free vouchers apply?

    On my form I went with the Modern (1965 to date). Maximum coin value at $300.00 20 to 30 day = $16.00.
    Plus the # other: Reverse Proof COA = $15.00.
    Plus I wanted the True View Shot = $10.00.
    = $ 41.00
    Plus $ 10.00 Handling
    Plus $18.00 First Strike Designation (forgot to add this in)
    Plus $22.00 Shipping
    = $ $91. 00 Total for a $67.00 coin. Am I smart or what?

  • i dont have that kind of patience. I'm going Express!. Also depending on when you ship, you'll be getting it back around the XMas mad rush and when packages go missing like crazy. I'm not taking chances. lol Your not getting First Strike? This is my first grading so i am going to go all out.

    My tally right now is
    Express $65
    COA $15
    First Strike $18
    Handling $10
    Shipping $28. ($1001-5000)
    Total $136
    Just not clear to me wheather I need to add the $5 for the gold Sheild but i think it comes with Express, right?

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinnoob782 said:
    i dont have that kind of patience. I'm going Express!. Also depending on when you ship, you'll be getting it back around the XMas mad rush and when packages go missing like crazy. I'm not taking chances. lol Your not getting First Strike? This is my first grading so i am going to go all out.

    My tally right now is
    Express $65
    COA $15
    First Strike $18
    Handling $10
    Shipping $28. ($1001-5000)
    Total $136
    Just not clear to me wheather I need to add the $5 for the gold Sheild but i think it comes with Express, right?

    As for first strike I will get it cause I always do . I never opened the box so once they open your time stops and you got first strike. Any ways yours looks good to. I don’t need it back fast I am too busy here working.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 7:08AM

    @coinnoob782

    You are correct express service includes Gold Shield and Gold Shield includes with TrueView.

    So it appears you are good to go, but you can call to make sure.

    And if you’ve already mailed you can call when the package is received to update your order.

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 2:31PM

    @coinnoob782 said:
    ol Your not getting First Strike? T

    So I talked with a PCGS rep. The way the First Strike eligibility works is there is a Cut Off date PCGS will give for these. If your package is UNOPENED they will go off of the Receipt INSIDE the Box. And they go by the Date sent. If it is BEFORE the CUT OFF Date you get First Strike Eligibility. Mine was sent 11-16-2019 just a few days after the item went on sale. I am good providing I don't accidentally open the box WHICH I HAVE DONE BEFORE! AAAARRRRGH!

    I can literally hold the box for 1 or 100 Years and as long as the receipt inside my box is the date BEFORE the Cut OFF Date I get First Strike Eligibility.

    I hope I explained that correctly.

    That's why I never open my boxes from the mint!
    Maybe one day I might want to send them in for First Strike!
    Thats why I never open my Mint Boxes!
    I actually forgot why I did that now I know.

  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 6:46PM

    If I was like some evil Memphis re-handler for the Mint person (which I am not), I could figure this out and send you "sealed" boxes of sand from now on that weighed about the same. You would never know... And I would get all First Strike rare coins free for a little handling costs.

    Sleep well. ;)

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 7:15PM

    FS cut off date for anyone saving unopened boxes (scroll down): B)

    https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike/

  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hemispherical said:
    FS cut off date for anyone saving unopened boxes (scroll down): B)

    https://www.pcgs.com/firststrike/

    Thank you I forgot to add the a First Strike designation of $18.00 but I got it now!

  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gluggo said:

    @coinnoob782 said:
    ol Your not getting First Strike? T

    So I talked with a PCGS rep. The way the First Strike eligibility works is there is a Cut Off date PCGS will give for these. If your package is UNOPENED they will go off of the Receipt INSIDE the Box. And they go by the Date sent. If it is BEFORE the CUT OFF Date you get First Strike Eligibility. Mine was sent 11-16-2019 just a few days after the item went on sale. I am good providing I don't accidentally open the box WHICH I HAVE DONE BEFORE! AAAARRRRGH!

    I can literally hold the box for 1 or 100 Years and as long as the receipt inside my box is the date BEFORE the Cut OFF Date I get First Strike Eligibility.

    I hope I explained that correctly.

    That's why I never open my boxes from the mint!
    Maybe one day I might want to send them in for First Strike!
    Thats why I never open my Mint Boxes!
    I actually forgot why I did that now I know.

    @Gluggo said:

    @coinnoob782 said:
    ol Your not getting First Strike? T

    So I talked with a PCGS rep. The way the First Strike eligibility works is there is a Cut Off date PCGS will give for these. If your package is UNOPENED they will go off of the Receipt INSIDE the Box. And they go by the Date sent. If it is BEFORE the CUT OFF Date you get First Strike Eligibility. Mine was sent 11-16-2019 just a few days after the item went on sale. I am good providing I don't accidentally open the box WHICH I HAVE DONE BEFORE! AAAARRRRGH!

    I can literally hold the box for 1 or 100 Years and as long as the receipt inside my box is the date BEFORE the Cut OFF Date I get First Strike Eligibility.

    Never thought I would find a closet/safe close to mine

  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Be still my heart!

    thefinn
  • so im not seeing the "other" line on the online submission form. can anyone direct me where that is, i would like the COA encapsulation

Sign In or Register to comment.