Options

Random thoughts on the NFL season.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Look at Jimmy G ! Both Patriots cast off back up QB's are playing better than Brady this season.

Rumor has it another QB goes down Ryan Mallettehead getting a phone call too.

I wouldn’t say they playing better than Brady? The Pats are 5-0, sure the D is playing at a high level but Brady is getting it done nicely aside from the Bills game.

No QB has looked good against Buffalo. Time for their defense to get the credit they deserve. Again I state the Bills were the #2 defense last year. Now if they can only score 21 points a game. 😀

Allen might prove to be the best QB in that draft.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@DrBuster said:

@DrBuster said:
    The falcons....we just suck, across the board....suckage...sigh

And I still stand by this statement....

I have no words. All the injuries last year I understand. But no excuses this year. I had them for futures at over 8.5 wins. I thought they would compete for a division title. I have to add this tidbit. I had a futures bet on them winning the SB BEFORE the 2016-17 season. I was already buying a Namath rookie PSA 8 with my winnings up 28-3. So I haven’t learned my lesson I guess.

I think Jimmie Johnson said it best on the morning show sunday, too many changes with some of the coaching schemes since the super bowl. Different things to learn and forget each year, it's not helping. And our high school (non) tackling is just killing me.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Look at Jimmy G ! Both Patriots cast off back up QB's are playing better than Brady this season.

I wouldn’t say they playing better than Brady? The Pats are 5-0, sure the D is playing at a high level but Brady is getting it done nicely aside from the Bills game.

No QB has looked good against Buffalo. Time for their defense to get the credit they deserve. Again I state the Bills were the #2 defense last year. Now if they can only score 21 points a game. 😀

Ok who LOL’ed at this?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Ok who LOL’ed at this?

:D I use the forum on both PC and Android. Sometimes I am on my phone and I can't hover over the LOLs and I ask myself the same question.

To answer your question, it was

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Ok who LOL’ed at this?

:D I use the forum on both PC and Android. Sometimes I am on my phone and I can't hover over the LOLs and I ask myself the same question.

I use my IPhone, as far as Bronco goes he wakes up every AM and looks in the mirror and gets cynical with himself before he starts his day, he can’t help himself lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Ok who LOL’ed at this?

I use my IPhone, as far as Bronco goes he wakes up every AM and looks in the mirror and gets cynical with himself before he starts his day, he can’t help himself lol

I will admit I have logged onto the forum on PC before just to be able to see who specifically is LOLing or AGREEing.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

It’s obvious that this guy is good when he’s healthy. The question is injury. He got hurt when he was with the Patriots during Brady’s suspension. He got hurt last season early on and lost for the season. Will he hold up this year?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

never mind Jimmy G , I heard a Bresset rookie card is worth more than a Mahomes

• Options

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

It’s obvious that this guy is good when he’s healthy. The question is injury. He got hurt when he was with the Patriots during Brady’s suspension. He got hurt last season early on and lost for the season. Will he hold up this year?

We should start a contest on who will get hurt first, Wentz or Jimmy G

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

We should start a contest on who will get hurt first, Wentz or Jimmy G

I would put my money on Wentz. :D

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 5:37AM

Week 6 and some good, some not so good ( Bengals go undefeated) predictions. Any thoughts as tomorrow’s games get underway?
    My thoughts. San Francisco is starting to look like the predictions from 2 years ago.
    Russell Wilson is as good if not better than I ever thought.
    Teams have figured out the weak under belly of the Chiefs.
    What is going on with Atlanta?
    New Orleans not only has not missed a beat wth Bridgewater they’ve thrives
    Christian McCaffrey is the MVP through 5 games. We see how really good he is and how Carolina failed to use him because Cam thought he had to carry the team.
    Is this the end for Cam in Carolina and Mariota I’m Tennessee?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings Eagles should be interesting!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Week 6 and some good, some not so good ( Bengals go undefeated) predictions. Any thoughts as tomorrow’s games get underway?
    My thoughts. San Francisco is starting to look like the predictions from 2 years ago.
    Russell Wilson is as good if not better than I ever thought.
    Teams have figured out the weak under belly of the Chiefs.
    What is going on with Atlanta?
    New Orleans not only has not missed a beat wth Bridgewater they’ve thrives
    Christian McCaffrey is the MVP through 5 games. We see how really good he is and how Carolina failed to use him because Cam thought he had to carry the team.
    Is this the end for Cam in Carolina and Mariota I’m Tennessee?

I don't know about that KC under belly thing.. :# This Atlanta team will never recover from 28-3. They need to clean house.

• Options

KC run D is not good, that is a problem for them

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Indy was getting 8 or 9 yards every time they ran the ball on first down. Hard to stop them when
    its second down and 1 or 2 yards. Also chews up a lot of time and keeps Mahomes off the field.
    Chiefs better solve that problem or its going to be a long season.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

That’s the soft underbelly. Run straight at them. Keep Mahomes off the field.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2019 5:16AM

Watching this British based Buc’s - Panthers fiasco, how many people think Jamas Winston will back as the Tampa quarterback? This guy just doesn’t have it. His many turnovers kill every good thing he does on the field.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

That’s the soft underbelly. Run straight at them. Keep Mahomes off the field.

This is a problem alright. The next MVP QB is a million to one shot to get. Meanwhile , NFL caliber running backs can be found sleeping in dumpsters all over america.

That being said the Patriots can't run the ball this year so they won't be beating the chiefs :#

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prolly helps if Mahomes has a bad ankle.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

That being said the Patriots can't run the ball this year so they won't be beating the chiefs :#

Agree the Pats running game is weak (O line), however the Chiefs/Patriots defense difference is huge. I’m willing to make a friendly wager on your prediction.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2019 8:30PM

@DrBuster said:
    @DrBuster said:

Got back from the islands tonight to catch the missed extra point and yet another falcons loss....

I still stand by this statement ..... unfortunately

• Options

@DrBuster said:

@DrBuster said:
    @DrBuster said:

Got back from the islands tonight to catch the missed extra point and yet another falcons loss....

Tough season for ATL. What do you think is the problem?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@DrBuster said:

@DrBuster said:
    @DrBuster said:

Tough season for ATL. What do you think is the problem?

After 6 weeks, with what, Ryan throwing 300+ every game.....execution across the board at critical times on O - drops/picks/fumbles/whatever .... and just flat out shit defense with tackling.... on top of bad O/D play calls.... what else can we say....

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

my self-imposed 7-day ban for losing to the Raiders expires today. had we lost to the Jets like another group of posers did yesterday, i'd still be in exile for another 3 weeks. now that i'm allowing myself to talk, a few thoughts.

lots and lots of fraudulent teams in the NFL. the Browns come directly to mind -- a team I picked to win 10 games, the division, and a playoff game. week 1 they allowed Tennessee to score 43 in their own house. yesterday Tennessee couldn't have scored in a whorehouse. i wish i could remember what i was smoking that day.

i was never on Dallas' bandwagon. before the season, after they went 3-0, never. but then again, i picked Philly to win the division and they're basically the Cowboys' illegitimate sibling. now i'm thinking about picking the Redskins to rise from the depths after they impressively blew out Miami Junior College by a point.

weeks ago i said in the NE thread that they didn't have to worry about the Chiefs. two ells in a row at home. they still can't play defense, and now Mahomie is gimpy. mebbe at some point this season Darin will throw a titty fit and become a Cowboys fan for 17 minutes.

i told you cats not to give up on Kyler. i've followed that kid since his days at Allen HS and he's just a different breed. i always thought to myself, "the next Russell Wilson." granted it was the Atlanta School of the Blind that made him look like a first-ballot HoFer yesterday, but still. it's coming.

i told you cats not to give up on Kirk Cameron Cousins. way, way too much talent on that team for him to fall flat on his face for an entire season.

finally, it's still amateur hour in the NFL. one would think that after zebra incompetency put the wrong team in the SB, legit institutional changes would've taken place this season. but this ability to challenge potential PI plays is really quite insulting. i've seen wideouts virtually gangbanged in the secondary and the no-call is still upheld. i think i heard yesterday that only 4 out of like a million PI challenges have been successful. thanks for that, Rog!

• Options

Good to see you back buddy 👍👍

• Options

After 6 weeks here is just one observation. 3 QB’s will be looking for new teams next year.
    Marcus Mariota
    Jamies Winston
    Cam Newton.
    The new blueprint to build a winner in the NFL. Draft a QB. Pay him $500K. Build mega talent with the money you save. After 5 years. Cut and paste.
    Now if you do find that someone special you’ve built around him and pay him. If not move on and get another one. Brilliant.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2019 10:22AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@hammer1 said:
    Is there a 72 hour cancellation right on Goff's contract?

I'll give you Prescott and a case of Falstaff Beer for him........wait a minute.....maybe not. Neither one is worth a case of Beer!

I'll give you half my social security check, and a lifetime supply of beer if you to take Goff.

/ signed: desperate in la

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

my goodness, he was awful yesterday! Doesn't say much either for that brilliant offensive minded coach. Who's the backup for the Rams anyway?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Galaxy- Welcome back!
    The Chiefs just hit a couple bumps in the road. They'll get better. The defense should improve.
    Later on it will pay off to be battle tested, unlike New England who hasn't played a tough team yet,
    except for possibly Buffalo.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Doesn't it seem that this year there are more really bad teams than normal? you normally have 3 or 4 but this year, there are probably around eight. Miami, Wash, Atlanta, Tampa, both NY teams, Cinci and Denver. Thoughts?

• Options

This challenge rule is one and done. Meaning by the end of the season no one will be challenging calls and it will be written out next year.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    my goodness, he was awful yesterday! Doesn't say much either for that brilliant offensive minded coach. Who's the backup for the Rams anyway?

Blake Bortles.

Can't use him as it would destroy what little confidence the highest paid QB in the NFL has left.

• Options

@2dueces said:

This challenge rule is one and done. Meaning by the end of the season no one will be challenging calls and it will be written out next year.

They should keep it in place in case of what happened to the Saints happens again. Most close calls will always be upheld. It will have to be blatantly bad.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

They should keep it in place in case of what happened to the Saints happens again. Most close calls will always be upheld. It will have to be blatantly bad.

They're not even overturning blatantly bad calls.

• Options

doesn't matter if you leave it in if you're not going to overturn anything

• Options

Seems like the rule was put in place to appease Saints fans, but now the refs are resentful.

• Options

Again, I say what is the rule if the refs won't overturn anything. Some of the challenges have been on plays that were blatantly PI, but the calls stand. Coaches are now not even challenging because they don't want to waste the TO. One Eagle s game the Eagles WR was held as he was running by the D back. No call. Eagles challenge. Call stands because "the receiver was grabbed before the ball was in the air so it's not interference" I thought the objective was to get the call correct; whatever happened to that?????

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Again, I say what is the rule if the refs won't overturn anything. Some of the challenges have been on plays that were blatantly PI, but the calls stand. Coaches are now not even challenging because they don't want to waste the TO. One Eagle s game the Eagles WR was held as he was running by the D back. No call. Eagles challenge. Call stands because "the receiver was grabbed before the ball was in the air so it's not interference" I thought the objective was to get the call correct; whatever happened to that?????

You think that is a bug? Its the desired outcome . Here is this new rule go ahead and throw away all your time outs then lets fuhgeddaboutit

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bad is the Mahomes injury?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin i have been tough on your team's D but tonight they are playing out of their minds

hope PM is ok

• Options

Denver's offense is pitiful. Baltimore certainly made the right decision switching to jackson last season.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Placo has to be the worst QB ever! It is fun however watching the K.C. Sack-A-Thon! :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    How bad is the Mahomes injury?

No idea, but Matt Moore will have to be the next Teddy Bridgewater.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denver. As Jed Clampett use to say "Pitiful,Pitiful, Pitiful".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Flacco just got killed back there. Denver's O line gave him no time to throw. Everyone has run the ball on the Chiefs thus far, but not tonight

• Options

Madden curse strikes again. Hopefully Mahomes is ok

• Options

You know Mahomes is playing on a bad ankle on a short week and you call for a QB sneak on 4th and 1? Stupid play call.