Home Sports Talk
Options

Random thoughts on the NFL season.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I think we are going to see the passing of a number big name quarterbacks from the scene. Manning and Rothlesberger come immediately to mind. Flacco was done last year. Given his age Brady might be next, perhaps, really Peter Pan in disguise. He’s been amazing.

Can’t be soon enough for Buffalo fans.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019 12:32PM

i have always been a Foles > Wentz guy as it pertains to the Eagles, but i must keep it real: Wentz's supporting cast isn't exactly helping him out. if Agholor (Atlanta game) and Goedert (Detroit game) had done what they are paid to do, Philly could very easily be undefeated right now.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@BillJones said:
    I think we are going to see the passing of a number big name quarterbacks from the scene. Manning and Rothlesberger come immediately to mind. Flacco was done last year. Given his age Brady might be next, perhaps, really Peter Pan in disguise. He’s been amazing.

Brady is not the real problem for Buffalo fans; Belichick is. When he retires, the spell might be broken if Kraft doesn’t find a replacement, which is going to be very difficult. Belichick has been one of a kind.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@2dueces said:

@BillJones said:

Brady is not the real problem for Buffalo fans; Belichick is. When he retires, the spell might be broken if Kraft doesn’t find a replacement, which is going to be very difficult. Belichick has been one of a kind.

Sorry but when Brady retires Bellichick will NOT win another Super Bowl

• Options

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

@2dueces said:

@BillJones said:

Do you remember when Brady suffered the season ending injury in the second game some years ago? Belichick had to use another quarterback for the rest of the season. The Pats won 11 games as I remember. They didn’t get to the playoffs, but with 11 wins, they should have.

In addition, Brady has not done this alone. Somebody had to build the rest of the team, including many replacements, and it was not Brady. Brady has been great, but the coach and personnel selections make the team.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2019 5:15PM

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

@2dueces said:

@BillJones said:

Do you remember when Brady suffered the season ending injury in the second game some years ago? Belichick had to use another quarterback for the rest of the season. The Pats won 11 games as I remember. They didn’t get to the playoffs, but with 11 wins, they should have.

In addition, Brady has not done this alone. Somebody had to build the rest of the team, including many replacements, and it was not Brady. Brady has been great, but the coach and personnel selections make the team.

But they didn’t make it to or win a Super Bowl. Brady has QB’ed 9 of them winning 6. Enough said

• Options

My take is that the sport died around the year 2000. QB's wear dresses, dislodging the ball is a 15 yd penalty. I love the NFL pre-2000 going into the past. I don't watch NFL anymore. Can't stand it.

• Options

@Chargers49ersTigers said:
    My take is that the sport died around the year 2000. QB's wear dresses, dislodging the ball is a 15 yd penalty. I love the NFL pre-2000 going into the past. I don't watch NFL anymore. Can't stand it.

It’s definitely changed

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

To each his own, but it is still a great game. And they (refs) have eased up on the ruffing calls.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex Smith and Jimmy Grappolo probably would take issue.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Roll with the changes, it’s still the best sport ever. Oh and a quick reminder- it’s not going away 👍

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

I mean Ray Lewis talks on TV shows ? Are you kidding me? Tom Brady wants to advise me on my diet? Just shut up you morons and play then go away.

Randy Moss makes me cross and Michael Vick makes me PUKE.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    People forget Bridgewater was the Vikings future until that knee injury. He is 18-12 as a starter and was a Michael Vick type runner. Peyton eases him to make him comfortable. His first 10 passes averaged 1.7 yards in the air.

Slow down there! Michael Vick type runner? Teddy showed great promise as a leader, but he had a LONG way to go. He had a lot of trouble hitting open receivers deep downfield. He was an OK runner.

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:
    To pay Kirk Cousins that kind of money, he's going to have to do more than he has done. I'm not sold on Cousins yet. To me, he is mediocre. He just hasn't done enough yet to deserve that kind of money. We shall see.

I have said that Cousins is overrated since some people claimed that he is is top tier quarterback. I can not understand why the Vikings are paying him all of that money.

I liked Keenum, but the Vikings decided they needed a guy with a big arm. Finding one that was available and young and who hadn't been hurt REALLY narrowed it down. Cousins was about the only guy who fit the bill.

The Vikes had been having a lot of trouble finding a solid QB, they were all getting hurt.

The Jets offered him more money than the Vikings.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

i know it has been a few days, but i'd be remiss if i didn't raise awareness

the NFL is being a PITA, so click on the link that takes you to youtube so you can rightfully bask in the brilliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cedHzzwhc&feature=player_embedded

• Options

At least I can still watch on regular TV.

I don't understand why anyone blocks videos on youtube, do they really think it will gain them anything?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

that draw play didn't work for me either , I was in the 7th grade at the time but still

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:
    People forget Bridgewater was the Vikings future until that knee injury. He is 18-12 as a starter and was a Michael Vick type runner. Peyton eases him to make him comfortable. His first 10 passes averaged 1.7 yards in the air.

Slow down there! Michael Vick type runner? Teddy showed great promise as a leader, but he had a LONG way to go. He had a lot of trouble hitting open receivers deep downfield. He was an OK runner.

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:
    To pay Kirk Cousins that kind of money, he's going to have to do more than he has done. I'm not sold on Cousins yet. To me, he is mediocre. He just hasn't done enough yet to deserve that kind of money. We shall see.

I have said that Cousins is overrated since some people claimed that he is is top tier quarterback. I can not understand why the Vikings are paying him all of that money.

I liked Keenum, but the Vikings decided they needed a guy with a big arm. Finding one that was available and young and who hadn't been hurt REALLY narrowed it down. Cousins was about the only guy who fit the bill.

The Vikes had been having a lot of trouble finding a solid QB, they were all getting hurt.

Teams find ways to draft good quarterbacks, not buy them. A big are is only one part of a great quarterback. Brains are judgement are far more important.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@2dueces said:

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

Teams find ways to draft good quarterbacks, not buy them. A big are is only one part of a great quarterback. Brains are judgement are far more important.

High end QBs only come along once in a great while, Brady and Ben with the Steelers have been around for a long time, Brees was drafted by someone else, Luck retired early. The list of guys that were drafted and became good to great is pretty short. Rodgers is an exception in that the Packers got him when they had a HOF guy starting.

The Vikings decided they needed a QB now, while they had a good/great defense and not wait for a guy to develop, they had Ponder and then Bridgewater who were both 1st rounders and didn't work out.

I agree completely about a brain being more important than a big arm. I liked Keenum and would have signed him and used the money you saved on other players. The management seemed to figure they had a three year "window" to make a run at the SB. They didn't think Keenum was good enough. I am not sure Cousins will be either.

• Options

keenum could do what cousins is doing without any trouble

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Totally agree. The Cousins signing for what they were looking for is a head scratcher

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see tonight if the Packers can put the Eagles into a 1-3 hole.
    If so will be pretty difficult for the Eagles to come back from that and still have a shot
    at the division with Dallas playing so well.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Aaron Rodgers will probably blame someone for that INT

• Options

@perkdog said:

Paul, are you putting that page and a half of blank space in your reply on purpose or is there a problem here. I noticed it last night also.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Paul, are you putting that page and a half of blank space in your reply on purpose or is there a problem here. I noticed it last night also.

It looks normal from my view. I’m just normal posting and it appears 100% normal from my view

• Options

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019 7:32AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I've been getting that as well, randomly, the past few days.

It goes away for a particular post after logging off and then logging back in, but then it can come on some other random posts, not just Perkdog posts.

I have no idea what causes it?

I've seen this happen randomly before on other forums as well.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

The sun got in his eyes. Or was it the moon?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Totally agree. The Cousins signing for what they were looking for is a head scratcher

You can bet there was a TON of debate over this here in Minnesota.

I think the Vikings ownership got tired of the revolving door at QB;

2012 Christian Ponder
    2013 Matt Cassel
    2014 Ponder, Cassel and Bridgewater
    2015 Bridgewater
    2016 Sam Bradford
    2017 Case Keenum

Ponder was a first round pick (12th overall)
    Cassel was cut by Chiefs and signed by Vikes
    Bridgewater was a first rounder (was considered at one time to be the #1 overall player) 32nd overall.
    Bradford from the Eagles for a first round pick
    Keenum was signed as a free agent (I think)

Viking had used three first round picks and got virtually nothing in return. Drafing at or near to the end of the first round is not usually the way to get a top rated QB.

Obviously Keenum was going to get a big raise and deservedly so, but the brain wizards here didn't think he was worth it.

Vikings had no one on the team to play QB as they had been carrying two injured guys and Keenum, who was supposed to back up either Bradford or Bridgewater.

Going after the best option (Cousins) was going to be expensive.

As I have said, I would have kept Keenum and spent money on free agents that would have "fixed" the offensive line and upgraded other needs, but you really can't blame management for going after a guy who looked like he could succeed in the right circumstances. You can't keep throwing away 1st round picks on guys who can't play or stay on the field.

Getting rid of Bridgewater could end up being the biggest mistake of them all.

• Options

@JoeBanzai That list of QB’s is not good. I agree Bridgewater was a tough situation, they probably didn’t think he would ever play again. But they need to get someone who can evaluate the QB situation a bit better, like I said Cousins was an expensive decision especially when they could have gotten away with paying Keenum a bit less and he was already situated in that offense and had a good thing with the receivers instead they overpay for Cousins and want to implement a run first approach? Yep definitely weird lol.

• Options

Bradford is And always has been a HUGE waste of money btw

• Options

@perkdog said:

Fragile, but when he played, he looked good..............one year not going to do it though.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

Fragile, but when he played, he looked good..............one year not going to do it though.

I though Keenum had a good run right before they got rid of him. Seemed stupid to have a guy do good get into the playoffs then as a reward cut him loose in favor of a guy that costs more money.

Didn't cousins come out of washington? That is a terrible franchise anyone unwanted by a terrible team is poison . Actually unwanted QB's are generally poison anyway , look at the texans handing all that money to brock ostweiler :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I though Keenum had a good run right before they got rid of him. Seemed stupid to have a guy do good get into the playoffs then as a reward cut him loose in favor of a guy that costs more money.

Didn't cousins come out of washington? That is a terrible franchise anyone unwanted by a terrible team is poison . Actually unwanted QB's are generally poison anyway , look at the texans handing all that money to brock ostweiler :D

Yea Keenum brought them deep into the playoffs and was on a good rhythm with Diggs and Thielen. Cousins committed highway robbery on those idiots in Washington, they franchised tagged him 2 years in a row which I believe paid him like 50 million probably then he walks into Minnesota and gets paid bigger money. Some of these QB’s just happen to get lucky how things play out

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

Yea Keenum brought them deep into the playoffs and was on a good rhythm with Diggs and Thielen. Cousins committed highway robbery on those idiots in Washington, they franchised tagged him 2 years in a row which I believe paid him like 50 million probably then he walks into Minnesota and gets paid bigger money. Some of these QB’s just happen to get lucky how things play out

I liked Keenum, but we did get lucky in beating NO on a last second play. The defense collapsed in that game and played terribly against the Eagles.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I liked Keenum, but we did get lucky in beating NO on a last second play. The defense collapsed in that game and played terribly against the Eagles.

That was the most ridiculous play, that NO CB should have been cut immediately after that game lol

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston vs Carolina. Good game right now. Both defenses are very aggressive.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 12:49PM

Looks like Atlanta is on the verge of laying an egg at home against the Titans. Ouch. Plop.

• Options

Chiefs vs Lions. Both competitors exchanging blows in the middle of the ring.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Go Detroit!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Go Detroit!

Can't go for the Lions. They are right up there with the Eaglet's on Dimeman's HATE Meter!

• Options

Mahomes just led the Chiefs straight down the field to a touchdown. Wild game.

• Options

If the Lions beat the Chiefs...…..that would almost be as big of a upset as the Eaglet's beating the Packers!

• Options

Chiefs win. 34-30 What a game.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Looks like Atlanta is on the verge of laying an egg at home against the Titans. Ouch. Plop.

I guess the Atlanta fans won't get disappointed at the end of this season. The disappointment is here now. But they did beat the Eagles.

• Options

Bucs are kicking the Rams around. The Bucs are up 21-0 right now.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

The falcons....we just suck, across the board....suckage...sigh

• Options

@DrBuster said:

They are loaded on Offense, can’t understand the problem really. Calvin Ridley literally has disappeared

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DrBuster said:

They are loaded on Offense, can’t understand the problem really. Calvin Ridley literally has disappeared

Whatever crap we got going on with turd coaching and play calling....the players have got the flu with that bullshit. Lousy tackling, lousy play calling, lousy 3rd/4th down action on both sides of the ball.....just horrible. We haven’t left the pre season at all, hope we adult up here soon

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 5:15PM

did the Rams' D play while drunk today?

they made Jameis Winston look like Tom Brees or Peyton Montana

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no logic in the NFL.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".