Home Sports Talk

Random thoughts on the NFL season.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Miami just sent CB Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers for a 1st. If they end up with the #1 pick they'll have four of the top 33 picks.

This is interesting. Without Ben, this should be a high pick. Do the Steelers believe in their backup this much, or do they plan on bringing in a big name?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    Miami just sent CB Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers for a 1st. If they end up with the #1 pick they'll have four of the top 33 picks.

This is interesting. Without Ben, this should be a high pick. Do the Steelers believe in their backup this much, or do they plan on bringing in a big name?

I'd roll the dice with Rudolph,he'll have some decent pieces around him in Juju,Conner & McDonald. As for Miami I hope Flores is around long enough to use those picks.

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    As far as Eli goes they ruined his Consecutive start streak for legitimately zero reason whatsoever so if I’m him I’m happy to get paid while safely on the sidelines as the place burns to the ground. Why should he want to stay in there and get his balls kicked in for nothing?

One thing to keep in mind, most every athlete I know is not happy to get paid while standing safely on the sidelines. Unless you have a train wreck for an offensive line (David Carr during the expansion Texans) the QB's want to be out on that field leading and competing.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:
    I would say Barkley is actually better than Zeke, not by a lot though.

I have to disagree with you here. The OL just gets you the first yard or two (thru line of scrimage sp) the rest is all on the RB.

Barkley is good....really good, but Zeke is a little better.

Your not losing with either one of them but without question Barkley is more Dynamic. Have you looked at the amount of 20+ Rushes and Receptions he has had? He. An take it to the house literally every time he gets the ball. And Jon I HATE everything NY Giants and have always like the Cowboys but reality is reality

Paul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I'll take Zeke. It's just like the old arguement about Smith and Sanders. To me there is no question Smith is better. Heck I would take Payton, Brown, and Campbell plus some others over Sanders.
    O.J. and Dorsett come to mind.

Absolutely. I’m always going to say Barry Sanders was the best and I understand others liking someone else. It’s all good 👍

Jim Brown was the greatest back. Lead the league 9 of 10 years. He was a man among boys. Jerry Rice was the greatest football player of all time.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

I think any team in the league would give up a 1 for a shut down corner. They just don’t grow on trees.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I have to disagree with you here. The OL just gets you the first yard or two (thru line of scrimage sp) the rest is all on the RB.

Your not losing with either one of them but without question Barkley is more Dynamic. Have you looked at the amount of 20+ Rushes and Receptions he has had? He. An take it to the house literally every time he gets the ball. And Jon I HATE everything NY Giants and have always like the Cowboys but reality is reality

Paul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I'll take Zeke. It's just like the old arguement about Smith and Sanders. To me there is no question Smith is better. Heck I would take Payton, Brown, and Campbell plus some others over Sanders.

Absolutely. I’m always going to say Barry Sanders was the best and I understand others liking someone else. It’s all good 👍

Jim Brown was the greatest back. Lead the league 9 of 10 years. He was a man among boys. Jerry Rice was the greatest football player of all time.

In YOUR opinion. I can name several if not more WR that were better than Rice, and had they hung around as long as he did they would have his padded numbers too. And Jim Brown was a beast especially since he was bigger than most of the lineman and linebackers he played against but Barry Sanders was much more talented and it was around bigger and better Defensive players. Case closed thanks for playing

@2dueces said:
    I think any team in the league would give up a 1 for a shut down corner. They just don’t grow on trees.

Ramsey is in a small class of elite DB’s. I would absolutely give up a first rounder for him unless I was a team that needed a QB and there was a stud available. QB, OL and DB are money

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

Ramsey is in a small class of elite DB’s. I would absolutely give up a first rounder for him unless I was a team that needed a QB and there was a stud available. QB, OL and DB are money

but they want 2 1st rounders

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

but they want 2 1st rounders

Probably worth it

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deon Sanders was the absolute best shut down corner EVER. Not great against the run, but he could take your best receiver out of the game.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember playing football in the neighborhood with my friends back in the early 90s. I would always try to intercept the ball and score just so I could do the Deion dance in the endzone.

I even had a pair of these bad boys when they first came out. The Deion Sanders Nikes.

Neon Deion was the BEST

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I remember playing football in the neighborhood with my friends back in the early 90s. I would always try to intercept the ball and score just so I could do the Deion dance in the endzone.

There are plenty of moments in everyday life where that dance is warranted without needing a pick six,like:
    Coming out of the bathroom after dropping a major duece,
    Coming back from the mailbox with your latest ebay buy,
    When your doorbell rings and your favorite pizza just arrived. ;)

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

In YOUR opinion. I can name several if not more WR that were better than Rice, and had they hung around as long as he did they would have his padded numbers too. And Jim Brown was a beast especially since he was bigger than most of the lineman and linebackers he played against but Barry Sanders was much more talented and it was around bigger and better Defensive players. Case closed thanks for playing

Yes of course it's just in my opinion and of course the case is never closed. But arguing who's best is like arguing who has the pizza or best actor. It's all an opinion. A 100 year old may say Marion Motley or Jim Thorpe. A 14 year old may say Zeke. A Bears fan, Walter. So my opinion is Jim Brown and Jerry Rice. My opinion was Joe Montana but after the Atlanta SB I concede that Tom is the greatest of all time. Coming from a Bills fan, that pretty high praise.

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Yes of course it's just in my opinion and of course the case is never closed. But arguing who's best is like arguing who has the pizza or best actor. It's all an opinion. A 100 year old may say Marion Motley or Jim Thorpe. A 14 year old may say Zeke. A Bears fan, Walter. So my opinion is Jim Brown and Jerry Rice. My opinion was Joe Montana but after the Atlanta SB I concede that Tom is the greatest of all time. Coming from a Bills fan, that pretty high praise.

🍻👍

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if Gardner Minshew could beat Ben Stiller at Dodgeball?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited September 22, 2019 7:02AM

Buffalo’s season opening home game is today. The Bills plan a tribute to Pancho who was the Bills #1 fan. He announced the Bills #1 draft choice this spring and sadly lost his battle to cancer in May. Along with the 2-0 start on the road, high hopes for this team the stadium will be absolutely manic and the fans will be in full throat. I fully expect a Bills victory and a showdown next week when the Patriots come to Buffalo both 3-0.

W.C.Fields

That’s nice of the Bills 🍻

2deuces- Good luck to the Bills.
    Chiefs in the same situation, 2 wins on the road and now finally a home game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

The Chiefs hang on to beat a tough Ravens team.
    And next week for the 4th week in a row to start the season the Chiefs
    again play an undefeated team, the Lions.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

I was hoping Buffalo would go under the radar as they have all preseason and through 2 1/2 weeks. All the talk has been Lamar Jackson, of course AB, Daniel Jones etc. Bow the talking heads have no choice but to mention Buffalo for at least 20 seconds every hour show. Next week for the AFC East early ( really, really early) lead.

W.C.Fields

@Darin said:
    The Chiefs hang on to beat a tough Ravens team.
    And next week for the 4th week in a row to start the season the Chiefs
    again play an undefeated team, the Lions.

Everybody played an undefeated team in week 1. ;)

Smith-schuster takes it to the house.

49ers vs Steelers. Good game right now. Both teams exchanging blows. Mike Tyson just ran onto the field and bit Jimmy Garoppolo's ear off! This game has it all!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 5:54PM

Tampa just blew another one. They had a 28-10 lead at half time. Then they folded like a cheap suitcase in the second half. They have a chance win the game with a 34 yard field goal at the end. Their seventh place kicker in seven seasons kicks the dirt instead of the ball, and they lose the game to the Giants by a point. Every other team can find a decent kicker; Tampa can't.

This team is a waste of time to follow because they have a losing tradition. There are just some franchises that can't do. Tampa is one of them. They have some good players, but they can never come together.

Jacksonville and Miami can't get it right either. Unlike the Florida universities, the pro teams have been a bunch of perennial losers for years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Tampa just blew another one. They had a 28-10 lead at half time. Then they folded like a cheap suitcase in the second half. They have a chance win the game with a 34 yard field goal at the end. Their seventh place kicker in seven seasons kicks the dirt instead of the ball, and they lose the game to the Giants by a point. Every other team can find a decent kicker; Tampa can't.

This team is a waste of time to follow because they have a losing tradition. There are just some franchises that can't do. Tampa is one of them. They have some good players, but they can never come together.

I visited family in Tampa once , they brought me fishing . I guess if you live there you stop noticing the foul stench of that water . The fish were gross too , fish that live in boiling hot salt water probably don't know any better though , low self esteem or whatever

I wouldn't live in Florida if you paid me!

@DIMEMAN said:

The Texas ocean smells like a sewer also dime :D

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'm not a Beach guy either Bronc. Some people would love to live on a beach......not me.....NEVER.

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'm not a Beach guy either Bronc. Some people would love to live on a beach......not me.....NEVER.

I'd like to live on the beach, but I have no Interest in dealing with the hurricanes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I was in the ocean today I love it , not when it smells though. Its not really a heat thing , is it pollution? The gulf of mexico is foul , go to the east side of florida it is just as hot but the water isn't nasty

I will take the ocean 100% over a lake. The key is not going out past the waves, minimizing the risk of a Shark Attack

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in a beach town, in Massachusetts on the South shore. Amazing. Love visiting.

@thisistheshow said:
    I grew up in a beach town, in Massachusetts on the South shore. Amazing. Love visiting.

I’m on the seacoast. New England is at its best in the Summer and Fall

Saints beat Seahawks without Brees. That surprised me .

@doubledragon said:

Bridgewater was a very good QB in Minny, they probably would have been better off waiting for him to heal
    Up rather than spend all that stupid money on Cousins

To pay Kirk Cousins that kind of money, he's going to have to do more than he has done. I'm not sold on Cousins yet. To me, he is mediocre. He just hasn't done enough yet to deserve that kind of money. We shall see.

@doubledragon said:

That was a surprise to me as well.

@doubledragon said:
    To pay Kirk Cousins that kind of money, he's going to have to do more than he has done. I'm not sold on Cousins yet. To me, he is mediocre. He just hasn't done enough yet to deserve that kind of money. We shall see.

Cousins is like Wentz all hype no go.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 11:29AM

it's important to realize what the Vikings are -- a run-first football team. and that may be understating it. i was in the bar portion of a restaurant yesterday with every game on, and Oak-Minn was right in front of me. can't tell you how many times i saw them run on 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd down.......with great success. Cousins is doing exactly what is being asked of him, which is not one ounce more than required. they are relying heavily on their defense and running game, and right now they look very formidable. Dalvin Cook is an absolute beast. the yards that guy gains after contact has to be among the league's best. and when it actually comes time for KC to throw? he has two of the best on the receiving end in Thielen and Diggs.

coming from this Bears fan, i don't like the looks of GB, Detroit & Minny this season. those three teams have lost a combined 1 game this season, and that's only because the Packers and Vikings played each other.

I agree Minny is a run first team. I still don’t think Cousins is dependable if they are down and “Need” to pass to get back in it.

People forget Bridgewater was the Vikings future until that knee injury. He is 18-12 as a starter and was a Michael Vick type runner. Peyton eases him to make him comfortable. His first 10 passes averaged 1.7 yards in the air.

W.C.Fields

Huge win for the Texan's against the Chargers as far as KC fans are concerned.
    Puts the Chargers in a big hole at 1-2 but they have several cupcake games ahead of them
    all lined up in a row.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@galaxy27 said:
    it's important to realize what the Vikings are -- a run-first football team. and that may be understating it. i was in the bar portion of a restaurant yesterday with every game on, and Oak-Minn was right in front of me. can't tell you how many times i saw them run on 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd down.......with great success. Cousins is doing exactly what is being asked of him, which is not one ounce more than required. they are relying heavily on their defense and running game, and right now they look very formidable. Dalvin Cook is an absolute beast. the yards that guy gains after contact has to be among the league's best. and when it actually comes time for KC to throw? he has two of the best on the receiving end in Thielen and Diggs.

coming from this Bears fan, i don't like the looks of GB, Detroit & Minny this season. those three teams have lost a combined 1 game this season, and that's only because the Packers and Vikings played each other.

2019 Peyton manning could handle that job. They way overpaid for a QB if they didn't need any passes thrown

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

2019 Peyton manning could handle that job. They way overpaid for a QB if they didn't need any passes thrown

And there is the rub right here. They decide to pay him stupid money yet they don’t want to base their game plans around him, basically paying him to not make mistakes when they need to throw. Keenum was doing just fine there and probably would have been better since he had a good repore with Diggs and Thielen

@doubledragon said:

edited September 24, 2019 11:46AM

@doubledragon said:

I have said that Cousins is overrated since some people claimed that he is is top tier quarterback. I can not understand why the Vikings are paying him all of that money.

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, after he wrecked his knee, he’s been a lot like Cousins. The Eagles are going to have to get him out of their system if they are ever to get on the winning path again.

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

I have said that Cousins is overrated since some people claimed that he is is top tier quarterback. I can not understand why the Vikings are paying him all of that money.

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, after he wrecked his knee, he’s been a lot like Cousins. The Eagles are going to have to get him out of their system if they are ever to get on the winning path again.

Too bad Steve can't see that too.

I think we are going to see the passing of a number big name quarterbacks from the scene. Manning and Rothlesberger come immediately to mind. Flacco was done last year. Given his age Brady might be next, perhaps, really Peter Pan in disguise. He’s been amazing.