Home Sports Talk

Random thoughts on the NFL season.

Comments

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Only time will tell.

@galaxy27 said:
    i have this dream of OBJ at the bottom of a huge pile going after a fumble, and when it's finally broken up his 350k watch is gone

• TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 11:36PM

Dimeman, of course there is no need for more games, that's not the point. The point is that the NFL owners are leaving 2 billion dollars on the table every time they play a 16 game season instead of an 18 game one. The league is already moving in that direction by telling viewers through their programs how much fans hate preseason football. They're doing this so at some point down the road they can magnanimously come riding in on their white horse and say "we listened to you fans, we are eliminating 2 preseason games and replacing them with 2 regular season games. More football, better football, your welcome America." All the while the owners are happy, the players make more money, the fans are happy, and if you play RB, LB, OL, or DL your longevity in this league just took a serious hit. They better come up with a system so those players are not battered through 18 straight weeks.

I think an 18 game season is coming in about 6 or 7 years when some of those growing revenue streams begin to flatten. It could happen before then if NFL players complain loud enough about salaries not keeping pace with NBA players. Stars are always gonna feel like they deserve more, and its the lower tier veterans that squeezed. They either play for an under market value contract or get replaced by a younger player who will. The owners answer to players who want to get paid more is of course let's increase the pie. We'll play the same number of games, just eliminate 2 preseason games and make them regular season games. The two sides will complain about the other sides position at first, but eventually they will both hammer it out and agree. Why will they agree? Just let the lawyers drain em' for about 6 months arguing and the bills to pile up...you will see how agreeable both sides become then. The players should be looking at ways to have an 18 game schedule but only play in 16 of them + play limits. The owners I think will agree to it, because a straight 18 game season would just decimate players at certain positions.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennisCoach - first off the League is not in the tank. I don't know where people are getting that silly Idea. They are making more money than ever.

Secondly - cutting 2 games from preseason and adding 2 to regular season would NOT be a breakeven situation for the players at all. The starters don't play that much in the preseason. This would be a huge mistake. They should just leave things alone with the possibility of adding to the number allowed on a team.

• The NFL is definitely not in the tank, they are still growing at an annual rate of 6.5% a year. That's actually pretty impressive for an organization that size. I completely agree that eliminating 2 preseason games does nothing to help veteran players/starters. While adding 2 regular season games does considerable damage to some players. It will lead to more "managing" by coaching staffs just to keep their starters healthy for the post season. Meanwhile all those teams fighting for those last playoff spots will become the walking wounded.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

if there are 4 coaches that could figure out how to sit players for 2 games I'd be stunned. I'm not even sure it would matter , anytime a guy is nicked up sit one game and you are halfway there. Every player is hurt to some extent all the time anyway.

A wrinkle I heard about the 18 game season , 2 bye weeks with one always following a thursday night game the week before. If last nights game was going to be the level of thursday night games lets just stop those forever anyway

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a random thought.
    RAIDERS LOSE!

Mahomes for 446 and 4 TD's.

Would have been 5 TD's but a 72 yarder to Mecole Hardman was called back
    on a questionable holding call.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    I've got a random thought.
    RAIDERS LOSE!

K.C. is looking good again this year.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

This guy is unreal. Was wondering if teams would adjust and slow him down - NOPE. As a diehard Patriots/Brady fan, I can say Mahomes is special and may shatter lots of records if he stays healthy.

Peyton Manning looked like this in the early years .

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 6:37PM

How about Buffalo's fighting Bills, dispatching New York's football Giants.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    How about Buffalo's fighting Bills, dispatching New York's football Giants.

2-0 Circle the Wagons!

If things don't get better in New York soon, Eli could be on his way out. The fans looked pretty upset yesterday.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start for the Bills. 2-0 on the road. 5 of next 6 games at home. One game at a time.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@doubledragon said:
    If things don't get better in New York soon, Eli could be on his way out. The fans looked pretty upset yesterday.

Probably not as bad as Miami though 🤷‍♂️

Pittsburgh will have some ground to cover after losing their first two games.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

That's going to be tough with Big Ben out for the season now.

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I didn't realize he was gone for the season. New orleans could be in some real trouble also, if Brees is gone for a while.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

I didn't realize he was gone for the season. New orleans could be in some real trouble also, if Brees is gone for a while.

6-8 weeks with a torn thumb ligament is the latest with surgery likely soon.

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@doubledragon said:

6-8 weeks with a torn thumb ligament is the latest with surgery likely soon.

That's big trouble.

Well I’m one to say it’s only 2 games. The talking heads are crowning Lamar Jackson as MVP and SB winner. He played Miami and Arizona. Let’s hold off until he plays a real defense and he has to throw from behind.
    Mahomes picked up right where he left off last year.
    Pittsburgh didn’t have it with Ben and now no chance at all. They may have peace in the locker room but no talent in the huddle.
    New England exposed Pittsburgh and them got a bye in Miami.
    Philadelphia was pulling people out of the stands to play receiver last night. Hard to judge that team with every one banged up. Wentz, well my jury is still out on him after the injury.
    Buffalo wins 2 road games and plays 5 of next 6 at home. New England at home week 4 will tell us a lot about this team. One thing about the Bills, they are well coached. They may not have the best talent but they play as a team. Did you know they had the #2 defense last year and #1 against the pass? Yeah nobody else did either because they’ve been an afterthought Small market and not flashy.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

no touches and no dub........but 349 thru the air, no turnovers and only a one-score defeat on the road against a stout Ravens team portends well for Kyler & the Cards

a few more games under his belt and that offense is going to be fun to watch

@bronco2078 said:

Peyton struggled his 1st year and became one of the best. He was a pocket passer only, Mahomes excels out of the pocket and is very accurate throwing on the run, something Brady & Manning lack. Rodgers is similar to Mahomes in that regard.

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Peyton struggled his 1st year and became one of the best. He was a pocket passer only, Mahomes excels out of the pocket and is very accurate throwing on the run, something Brady & Manning lack. Rodgers is similar to Mahomes in that regard.

Very accurate assessment

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Its only been two games but to me Mahomes looks like he is more accurate on his deep passes than he was
    last year. Again, only two games into the season.
    I think I actually got goose bumps watching the second quarter yesterday. Mahomes had 278 passing yards
    and all 4 TD's in the second quarter. It was just absolute precision passing. He simply tore the Raiders
    defense to shreds. I'm really looking forward to next Sunday and their first home game against the Ravens.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Kansas City vs Baltimore O/U 55. If Lamar holds up his end of the bargain this game should be in the 70’s. Might have 55 by half. I’m still very curious to see how he does against a top defense. Not sure KC is that.

W.C.Fields

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@bronco2078 said:

I meant stat wise . Didn't mahomes bench warm before starting?

I believe Peyton could have played another 5 or 6 seasons if he chose too. I think he got caught up in the riding off into the sunset thing. The going out on top thing.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I believe Peyton could have played another 5 or 6 seasons if he chose too. I think he got caught up in the riding off into the sunset thing. The going out on top thing.

Peyton sucked and was replaced (part injury/part terrible performance) for part of the season in his final year only to come back and basically not mess up the brilliant defensive performances. It worked. But he was done.

As a Giant fan, I feel bad for Eli Manning - no Tate and no Shepherd and no clue from the head coach. How Saquon Barkley is not getting the ball 30 times a game is mind boggling to me. Keep our terrible defense off the field by running the ball. I would call the whole field 4 down territory and hand it off close to 80% of the time. It merits consideration because the defense is that green and inexperienced. Our best receiver this weekend was someone we cut in training camp. Why are we throwing the ball when we have the best back in the league?

I don’t really have a problem with going to Daniel Jones, mind you, but this week - which is going to happen if you heard Coach Shurmur today - is too soon and not fair to Eli.

Based on this off-season, though, I believe that at the end of last season, GM Dave Gettleman asked Eli to take a pay cut and he refused and the rest is history. Saquon’s usage is either a terrible game plan or a way of railroading Eli Manning.

Neither is a good look.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Manning was literally carried to the finish line by that Denver team. He had absolutely nothing left in the tank.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

Peyton sucked and was replaced (part injury/part terrible performance) for part of the season in his final year only to come back and basically not mess up the brilliant defensive performances. It worked. But he was done.

As a Giant fan, I feel bad for Eli Manning - no Tate and no Shepherd and no clue from the head coach. How Saquon Barkley is not getting the ball 30 times a game is mind boggling to me. Keep our terrible defense off the field by running the ball. I would call the whole field 4 down territory and hand it off close to 80% of the time. It merits consideration because the defense is that green and inexperienced. Our best receiver this weekend was someone we cut in training camp. Why are we throwing the ball when we have the best back in the league?

I don’t really have a problem with going to Daniel Jones, mind you, but this week - which is going to happen if you heard Coach Shurmur today - is too soon and not fair to Eli.

Based on this off-season, though, I believe that at the end of last season, GM Dave Gettleman asked Eli to take a pay cut and he refused and the rest is history. Saquon’s usage is either a terrible game plan or a way of railroading Eli Manning.

Neither is a good look.

You can't run the ball every time and Barkley is NOT the best RB in the League.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

Neither is a good look.

Who is better?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@DIMEMAN said:

@doubledragon said:

Neither is a good look.

Who is better?

The guy who has been the best the last 3 years even missing 6 games...….Zeke.

edited September 16, 2019 7:06PM

I'm glad Peyton did retire though. He's a HUGE country music superstar now. I love his Nationwide band. Garth Brooks is a joke compared to Peyton's Nationwide band.

• Peyton also had disguise and could run play action with the best of them. There are a number of young quarterbacks that come into the NFL who are not comfortable running plays with their back to the defense then have to turn and fire. Peyton also moves surprisingly well on stretch handoff roll out plays, something else he doesn't get enough credit for.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 4:50AM

His cover of Omaha by The Counting Crows is loud and terrible.

@doubledragon said:
    I'm glad Peyton did retire though. He's a HUGE country music superstar now. I love his Nationwide band. Garth Brooks is a joke compared to Peyton's Nationwide band.

Payton was right up there with Brady. He just didn't get as many SB's.

@DIMEMAN said:

For almost half of his career Manning was better. I rank him in the top 3, ahead of Montana.

I meant stat wise . Didn't mahomes bench warm before starting?

Yes, he sat behind Alex Smith his 1st year. Good point, many throw INT’s their first year.

@DIMEMAN said:

Agree, but I also think Barkley is more talented than Zeke. Zeke is great, but has the best O-line in the league which helps his stats.

I would say Barkley is actually better than Zeke, not by a lot though.

@artee said:
    Doesn't he cover Omaha by The Counting Crows?

@doubledragon said:

I miss hearing Peyton Manning call out Omaha, Omaha. I always thought he should have used other cities in his audibles to really confuse the defense. Down, set, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale, hut! hut!

@perkdog said:

I have to disagree with you here. The OL just gets you the first yard or two (thru line of scrimage sp) the rest is all on the RB.

Barkley is good....really good, but Zeke is a little better.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I have to disagree with you here. The OL just gets you the first yard or two (thru line of scrimage sp) the rest is all on the RB.

Your not losing with either one of them but without question Barkley is more Dynamic. Have you looked at the amount of 20+ Rushes and Receptions he has had? He. An take it to the house literally every time he gets the ball. And Jon I HATE everything NY Giants and have always like the Cowboys but reality is reality

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Your not losing with either one of them but without question Barkley is more Dynamic. Have you looked at the amount of 20+ Rushes and Receptions he has had? He. An take it to the house literally every time he gets the ball. And Jon I HATE everything NY Giants and have always like the Cowboys but reality is reality

Paul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I'll take Zeke. It's just like the old arguement about Smith and Sanders. To me there is no question Smith is better. Heck I would take Payton, Brown, and Campbell plus some others over Sanders.
    O.J. and Dorsett come to mind.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 9:18AM

Miami just sent CB Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers for a 1st. If they end up with the #1 pick they'll have four of the top 33 picks.

@erikthredd said:
    Miami just sent CB Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Steelers for a 1st. If they end up with the #1 pick they'll have four of the top 33 picks.

Not sure if they will get that Kid from Oregon, that Tua kid from Alabama will be a first rounder too. They need to stop with the Fitzpatrick nonsense, like seriously. Put in Rosen as your every week starter and see if he can be a solid QB.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Paul, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. I'll take Zeke. It's just like the old arguement about Smith and Sanders. To me there is no question Smith is better. Heck I would take Payton, Brown, and Campbell plus some others over Sanders.
    O.J. and Dorsett come to mind.

Absolutely. I’m always going to say Barry Sanders was the best and I understand others liking someone else. It’s all good 👍

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to miss Eli.

A great, clutch QB.

@hammer1 said:
    I'm going to miss Eli.

A great, clutch QB.

2 superbowls and don't let the door hit you in the ass . Its tough to blame him for this the team sucks

edited September 17, 2019 11:58AM

As far as Eli goes they ruined his Consecutive start streak for legitimately zero reason whatsoever so if I’m him I’m happy to get paid while safely on the sidelines as the place burns to the ground. Why should he want to stay in there and get his balls kicked in for nothing?