Random thoughts on the NFL season.

2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Everyone that saw the game last night saw offenses way behind the defenses on opening night. This isn’t a new trend. It’s been happening for years. It will continue as stars play less and less in the preseason. Injuries are one everyone’s mind and I agree it’s a concern. There have been proposals to extend the season 2 games and eliminate 2 preseason games. The players union have balked at even the notion of playing 18 games. So are games like last night fair to fans? Is paying $500-2000 a seat at Jerry’s place to watch eventual 37 cuts for 2 home preseason games. Or 2-3 games into a season before the offense finally clicks. My proposal? 2 preseason games and extend the playoffs 2 more weeks. I know it may water down the playoffs a bit but wouldn’t you rather watch two 8-8 teams play in December than 2 meaningless games in August. 95% of the cuts are almost assured after 2 weeks of training camp. So judging talent for 3 months cannot be and argument for extended the preseason. What’s everyone’s thoughts?



<< <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

«13

Comments

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭

    As a fan, I wish they would extend the season to 30 games, I can't stand off-season television. As far as last night goes, it was pretty boring, but I'd rather watch a close game rather than a blowout. At least if the score is close, the game is interesting. As far as preseason goes, I would like to see it shortened. The pro-bowl just sucks.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Do away with the 1 Preseason game. 3 is enough, don’t mess with the regular Season. The Pro Bowl doesn’t mean anything regardless, guys are not playing that hard

  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

    As fans of football, sure we would all like to see more games be it regular season or playoffs. While some positions might be able to endure the extra hitting QBs, WRs, CB, S, (because they are not hitting on every play) ~ the game takes a tremendous toll on the body of RB's, LB, DL, and OL. The damage to those guys is sometimes permanent especially after so many knee surgeries. If you extend the season by 2 games we might have even more guys at those positions pulling the rip chord during the offseason. They are going to figure "my body ain't right even after a whole offseason." So expect more guys to retire early. And by the way who could blame em'; who wants to take a bunch of pain killers such as Vicodin just so you function and get through the day. You also lose about 10 years on your life expectancy because your body has went through too many cycles of repair. So while I love football, I have to stand with the players on this one.

    *Note there is a work around to allow an 18 game regular season~ the NFL would need to expand the roster by 3 to 5 slots and put a 16 regular season game limit for the players. Meaning every player could only play in 16 of the 18 regular season games. They also could have an exception clause that if a player plays no more than 10 plays during the game and is not removed from the game due to injury, then that game will not count against his eligibility total.

    So there you have it, 18 games, no more than 10 plays in two of those games, and expand the rosters by 3 to 5 players subject to negotiation based on the extra revenue.

    Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TennisCoach said:
    As fans of football, sure we would all like to see more games be it regular season or playoffs. While some positions might be able to endure the extra hitting QBs, WRs, CB, S, (because they are not hitting on every play) ~ the game takes a tremendous toll on the body of RB's, LB, DL, and OL. The damage to those guys is sometimes permanent especially after so many knee surgeries. If you extend the season by 2 games we might have even more guys at those positions pulling the rip chord during the offseason. They are going to figure "my body ain't right even after a whole offseason." So expect more guys to retire early. And by the way who could blame em'; who wants to take a bunch of pain killers such as Vicodin just so you function and get through the day. You also lose about 10 years on your life expectancy because your body has went through too many cycles of repair. So while I love football, I have to stand with the players on this one.

    *Note there is a work around to allow an 18 game regular season~ the NFL would need to expand the roster by 3 to 5 slots and put a 16 regular season game limit for the players. Meaning every player could only play in 16 of the 18 regular season games. They also could have an exception clause that if a player plays no more than 10 plays during the game and is not removed from the game due to injury, then that game will not count against his eligibility total.

    So there you have it, 18 games, no more than 10 plays in two of those games, and expand the rosters by 3 to 5 players subject to negotiation based on the extra revenue.

          
    

    I do not like this idea. I have heard it proposed, heard it debated and discussed.

    It would add entirely new strategic, scouting, preparation elements. I think a team like my Patriots (as presently managed) would do well. Other teams would not.

    My main objection is that it would make for a lesser product.

    I'd be interested in hearing more about it, however.

  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭

    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it,
    are the Raiders still in last place?

    If I earn a penny for my thoughts but always have to put in my two cents,
    who the hell keeps making a penny off me?

    These are the things I'm focused on as the Chiefs NFL reign begins.
    Wonder what I should eat for my first Chiefs game of the season?

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One wonders if the Antonio Brown fellow is simply an idiot or if he has suffered brain damage from playing the most popular sport in America.

    Guess anyone in the game has that question mark when they act like fools and the speculation is legitimate.

    A conundrum as to whether supporting the game is detrimental to the individuals. They are all over 18 and volunteer to get their heads bashed into the ground. The changes in the game to lessen the potential from brain injury may or may not be effective, but the quality of the contest clearly has suffered.

    It was a great run...

  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

    The NFL generates approximately 1 billion dollars in revenue every week during the regular season. The owners realize they are leaving 2 billion dollars on the table every time they play a 16 game season. My above proposal gets them to an 18 game regular season without killing the players who play the positions of RB, LB, DL, and OL. The NFLPA does not want to see potential 8 year careers shortened to 6 years. So there has to be a compromise where players make more money, owners make a lot more money, and certain positions don't have shortened careers. The league is already moving in that direction, TV ratings show fans are tuning in and advertisers are throwing money at the NFL. So really this is not a question likes or what's best, it's a question of business and economics.

    Even our beloved pastime of baseball doesn't want to go head to head in the ratings with the NFL. That's why they play post season games on Tuesday and Wednesday night and Sunday or Monday games earlier in the day before the kickoff of an NFL game in Prime Time. The NBA does this too, they are not going to show featured games in the same time slots. The NFL has tons of ancillary programs like NFL Live, Inside the NFL, NFL Total Access, Monday Night Countdown, The NFL today, GameDay etc. The reasons these programs exist is because the garner higher ratings. Baseball Tonight is a better run TV program than many of the NFL shows but it is not as high in the ratings, why? The NFL appeals to a greater audience due to sports wagering, fantasy leagues, the NFL draft, transactions, injury reports, regular season games have more meaning, there is greater parity from year to year, it's just a more interesting league (according to media coverage and advertising rates)
    So an 18 game regular season is coming, it's just a matter of when and what rules/compromises will need to take place.

    Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Tennis coach , we wouldn't be talking about extra games if revenue hadn't peaked. The NFL is maxed out .

    They aren't baseball , actively sabotaging themselves with stupid decisions , they see the cliff they are hurtling towards and are looking for ways to increase money.

    Baseball probably showed them the error of their ways. Oh lets try to get the average game to 5 hours so we can sell more commercials. :D Gee why are we losing viewers ?

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TennisCoach said:
    The NFL generates approximately 1 billion dollars in revenue every week during the regular season. The owners realize they are leaving 2 billion dollars on the table every time they play a 16 game season. My above proposal gets them to an 18 game regular season without killing the players who play the positions of RB, LB, DL, and OL. The NFLPA does not want to see potential 8 year careers shortened to 6 years. So there has to be a compromise where players make more money, owners make a lot more money, and certain positions don't have shortened careers. The league is already moving in that direction, TV ratings show fans are tuning in and advertisers are throwing money at the NFL. So really this is not a question likes or what's best, it's a question of business and economics.

    Even our beloved pastime of baseball doesn't want to go head to head in the ratings with the NFL. That's why they play post season games on Tuesday and Wednesday night and Sunday or Monday games earlier in the day before the kickoff of an NFL game in Prime Time. The NBA does this too, they are not going to show featured games in the same time slots. The NFL has tons of ancillary programs like NFL Live, Inside the NFL, NFL Total Access, Monday Night Countdown, The NFL today, GameDay etc. The reasons these programs exist is because the garner higher ratings. Baseball Tonight is a better run TV program than many of the NFL shows but it is not as high in the ratings, why? The NFL appeals to a greater audience due to sports wagering, fantasy leagues, the NFL draft, transactions, injury reports, regular season games have more meaning, there is greater parity from year to year, it's just a more interesting league (according to media coverage and advertising rates)
    So an 18 game regular season is coming, it's just a matter of when and what rules/compromises will need to take place.

    If an 18 game regular season comes, for a multitude of reasons, I'd say the rosters may also increase. Perhaps from 53 to around 60, maybe a few more.

  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    @TennisCoach said:
    The NFL generates approximately 1 billion dollars in revenue every week during the regular season. The owners realize they are leaving 2 billion dollars on the table every time they play a 16 game season. My above proposal gets them to an 18 game regular season without killing the players who play the positions of RB, LB, DL, and OL. The NFLPA does not want to see potential 8 year careers shortened to 6 years. So there has to be a compromise where players make more money, owners make a lot more money, and certain positions don't have shortened careers. The league is already moving in that direction, TV ratings show fans are tuning in and advertisers are throwing money at the NFL. So really this is not a question likes or what's best, it's a question of business and economics.

    Even our beloved pastime of baseball doesn't want to go head to head in the ratings with the NFL. That's why they play post season games on Tuesday and Wednesday night and Sunday or Monday games earlier in the day before the kickoff of an NFL game in Prime Time. The NBA does this too, they are not going to show featured games in the same time slots. The NFL has tons of ancillary programs like NFL Live, Inside the NFL, NFL Total Access, Monday Night Countdown, The NFL today, GameDay etc. The reasons these programs exist is because the garner higher ratings. Baseball Tonight is a better run TV program than many of the NFL shows but it is not as high in the ratings, why? The NFL appeals to a greater audience due to sports wagering, fantasy leagues, the NFL draft, transactions, injury reports, regular season games have more meaning, there is greater parity from year to year, it's just a more interesting league (according to media coverage and advertising rates)
    So an 18 game regular season is coming, it's just a matter of when and what rules/compromises will need to take place.

    If an 18 game regular season comes, for a multitude of reasons, I'd say the rosters may also increase. Perhaps from 53 to around 60, maybe a few more.

    Agree - adding games will add to injuries, I think an expansion of rosters would be good. Still some good talent on practice squads or sitting at home.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think tv revenues have flattened out , ESPN is collapsing . Cord cutters , people angry with ESPN political garbage , etc.

    I was the first person in my small circle to dump cable or satellite , now there are quite a few who refuse to pay 200 bucks a month for TV.

    The NFL wants to add more weeks? For what ? They added thursday night games , those are terrible every week . We have 4 pre season games now , the starters don't play , then in the first part of the regular season they are all rusty and suck. Right now we have a de-facto 12 game season with 8 terrible 2 tier preseason games beforehand.

    Should they raise ticket prices to $500 for nosebleed seats? Good luck with that :D I don't go to games I own a TV with a free antenna . If I did go to a game it would not be before November and if my team sucked I would probably skip that too.

    The other issue , social media and sports TV media in general, the more I get to know the players , coaches and owners , the less I want to do with them. Play the game and shut up . I went out to eat the other day and stopped the waiter and asked him who I should vote for ........ ya that didn't happen why would I care what the waiter thinks? Don't spit in my food thats all I need from that guy. The people on the team are waiters and dishwashers and janitors with delusions of grandeur shut your mouths throw the ball catch the ball , if you are hurt go away until you are ready to play. If you retire then drop dead , less than 1% of retired players are funny or interesting enough to show up on TV again.

    I mean Ray Lewis talks on TV shows ? Are you kidding me? Tom Brady wants to advise me on my diet? Just shut up you morons and play then go away.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 is in rare form today! I have to agree with ya man. B)


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm not even saying I agree or disagree with whatever social issue they are on about. I just don't care what they think and am not watching football for that reason.

    I don't watch any sport for guidance on how to live , I don't watch for what sneakers to buy or what food to eat or whether to be pro abortion or anti immigration , just shut up you idiots .

    It aint rocket science shut up , pass run catch kick go away.

    This is the world we live in now every dunce thinks he is albert einstein and if he would only talk louder we would realize how smart he really is .

    The kardashians make millions tweeting about lipstick , I would tune into them first before a dumb jock , obviously , they may be naked and a few of them aren't bad.

    Ok not the kardashians , I would have said the Jenner girls , but I don't mean to include bruce

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PatsGuy5000 said:

    @stevek said:

    @TennisCoach said:
    The NFL generates approximately 1 billion dollars in revenue every week during the regular season. The owners realize they are leaving 2 billion dollars on the table every time they play a 16 game season. My above proposal gets them to an 18 game regular season without killing the players who play the positions of RB, LB, DL, and OL. The NFLPA does not want to see potential 8 year careers shortened to 6 years. So there has to be a compromise where players make more money, owners make a lot more money, and certain positions don't have shortened careers. The league is already moving in that direction, TV ratings show fans are tuning in and advertisers are throwing money at the NFL. So really this is not a question likes or what's best, it's a question of business and economics.

    Even our beloved pastime of baseball doesn't want to go head to head in the ratings with the NFL. That's why they play post season games on Tuesday and Wednesday night and Sunday or Monday games earlier in the day before the kickoff of an NFL game in Prime Time. The NBA does this too, they are not going to show featured games in the same time slots. The NFL has tons of ancillary programs like NFL Live, Inside the NFL, NFL Total Access, Monday Night Countdown, The NFL today, GameDay etc. The reasons these programs exist is because the garner higher ratings. Baseball Tonight is a better run TV program than many of the NFL shows but it is not as high in the ratings, why? The NFL appeals to a greater audience due to sports wagering, fantasy leagues, the NFL draft, transactions, injury reports, regular season games have more meaning, there is greater parity from year to year, it's just a more interesting league (according to media coverage and advertising rates)
    So an 18 game regular season is coming, it's just a matter of when and what rules/compromises will need to take place.

    If an 18 game regular season comes, for a multitude of reasons, I'd say the rosters may also increase. Perhaps from 53 to around 60, maybe a few more.

    Agree - adding games will add to injuries, I think an expansion of rosters would be good. Still some good talent on practice squads or sitting at home.

    If they did decide to expand the season to 18 games, i think the logical thing to do would be to eliminate two preseason games. That's what will likely happen.

    Also eliminate the Pro Bowl game as well. It's the silliest all star game ever invented. Still have Pro Bowl awards and such, but just make it a ceremony.

    With legalized sports gambling coming full blast in numerous states, in my view this makes the most sense to maximize the NFL profits which has always been and always will be the priority of the owners.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bronco2078 said:
    I'm not even saying I agree or disagree with whatever social issue they are on about. I just don't care what they think and am not watching football for that reason.

    I don't watch any sport for guidance on how to live , I don't watch for what sneakers to buy or what food to eat or whether to be pro abortion or anti immigration , just shut up you idiots .

    It aint rocket science shut up , pass run catch kick go away.

    This is the world we live in now every dunce thinks he is albert einstein and if he would only talk louder we would realize how smart he really is .

    The kardashians make millions tweeting about lipstick , I would tune into them first before a dumb jock , obviously , they may be naked and a few of them aren't bad.

    Ok not the kardashians , I would have said the Jenner girls , but I don't mean to include bruce

    Just play ball, the age of “Heroes” is gone forever, even back when athletes were considered heroes to kids it was all imaginary nonsense anyways since there was no media to watch and record tall the bad things these guys did and got away with

  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @bronco2078 said:
    I'm not even saying I agree or disagree with whatever social issue they are on about. I just don't care what they think and am not watching football for that reason.

    I don't watch any sport for guidance on how to live , I don't watch for what sneakers to buy or what food to eat or whether to be pro abortion or anti immigration , just shut up you idiots .

    It aint rocket science shut up , pass run catch kick go away.

    This is the world we live in now every dunce thinks he is albert einstein and if he would only talk louder we would realize how smart he really is .

    The kardashians make millions tweeting about lipstick , I would tune into them first before a dumb jock , obviously , they may be naked and a few of them aren't bad.

    Ok not the kardashians , I would have said the Jenner girls , but I don't mean to include bruce

    Just play ball, the age of “Heroes” is gone forever, even back when athletes were considered heroes to kids it was all imaginary nonsense anyways since there was no media to watch and record tall the bad things these guys did and got away with

    I would think Stan Musials' legions of fans would disagree.
    I've always looked up to Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente and they never gave me a reason
    not to. I got Willie Lanier's auto in person as a kid and he was a hero to me, still is. LOL.

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

    That's just it bronco2078, revenues for the NFL haven't flattened out. One might have expected they would, but they simply haven't. The NFL is still growing at a rate of 6.5% a year and internal auditors are projecting revenue of 25 billion in yearly revenue by the year 2027. Even if they come a billion or two short of that number they still outpace the growth rate of any other major sport in the US. Why else would Jim Irsay turn down a 3.2 billion dollar offer to buy the Colts, because revenue has flattened? That's just it, revenues haven't flattened and if they make a move to an 18 game season sooner rather than later they might just could hit a number like 20 billion in revenue per season in just a couple years instead of 4 to 5 years. This translates to Irsay's Colt's being worth closer to 4 billion. So while some people might not like the NFL, their business is still growing. Baseball's growth is still positive, but their future outlook for continued growth seems to be a much greater challenge. The NBA meanwhile is trying to work more partnerships overseas to improve their bottom line. The bottom line is if all the major sports were stocks, and you were looking for the one with the best growth opportunities, whether people like it or not, it's still the NFL.

    On a side note, there could be a fracturing of NCAA football by the California schools. They have a bill which would allow college athletes to make money off their likeness, endorsements etc. If the this happens, the NCAA will of course challenge it, and when they lose in court the NCAA might try to ban CA schools from the college football playoffs. The real question is will the CA schools do better in recruiting because the players can now make money, or will it hurt recruiting because players from those schools won't have the opportunity to win a "nationally recognized" championship. Will it affect other sports as well? The NCAA will probably allow players to earn up to a "limit" for all college athletes so they can maintain the illusion of being amatuer athletics. I think the O'Bannon brothers already won their case and the appeal against the NCAA and EA sports for their video game likeness. This kind of thing opens the floodgates for numerous other suits in the future. I imagine the NCAA will need to contribute more of their licensing revenue to athletes in some way (scholarships, trusts, continued medical coverage past college playing days, just something) At the very least we have some interesting outside the lines stories in the future.

    Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think that when its time to negotiate a new tv deal the numbers are gonna drop , I also think the players are going want to raise the percentage of the revenue they get at the next collective bargaining and I don't see how ticket and concession prices can increase in this economy.

    Most teams in the league suck , the best teams may continue to do fine

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Mahomes injured?



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:
    Mahomes injured?

    Sprained ankle, only able to throw for 375 yards and 3 TD's on account of being hobbled.

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2019 3:16PM

    The only game available to me is the Tampa Buc vs. 49er contest. If the first half is an indication or the future, I'd call this "the turkey bowel." Neither of these teams can play beyond their mistakes. It is an exciting 7 to 6 contest with the "Pirates" in the lead.

    Winston is his usual turnover prone self. The trouble with turnovers is that you could engineer ten great plays, but it all amounts to nothing if you turn the ball over. That is Winston's pattern, and now he's on his fifth season, that might be his epitaph.

    These two teams are probably slugging it out for one of the high draft picks.

    The score is now 20 to 7, 49ers. For Tampa, it's new coach, same result. Do you ever wonder why I still follow the teams of my youth and middle age, the Eagles and the Patriots? There's your answer.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible.
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

    The Arizona Cardinals (Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray) look horrendous! Hurry up offense from college doesn’t translate to the next level on every down (Chip Kelly’s short tenure in Philly and success in Oregon). I think Kingsbury will last one year.

  • DarinDarin Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭

    Baker Mayfield had a rough day. I kind of thought the Browns would win that game.
    Looks like the momentum they built up towards the end of last year did not carry over. LOL.

    Collecting: Patrick Mahomes rookie cards, the next great NFL quarterback.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 27,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AZ comes all the way back!



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I didn't watch the game, but I read where Mayfield threw 3 picks.

    Perhaps it was just a young second season quarterback in the first game with his new star receiver Odell Beckham, trying to force the football to him too much.

    Mayfield should learn from this.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Same old Jets. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Up 16-0,missed PAT and FG.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Darin if you're looking to dabble in the cardboard of another qb, you should seriously consider Murray's. kid is special. possessed moxie of a 10-year vet in the 2nd half & OT.

    the Cards probably would have come all the way back for a W had Tramaine Brock not pulled off his best Kyle Fuller impersonation

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The hype around the Browns is unfair to that team there is very little chance they can live up to it this season. I’m not buying any of it. And yes Kyler Murray looked pretty good out there, he is small but almost got them an opening W, definitely a good comeback

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What’s up with all these subdued logos on the ball caps? They look HORRIBLE. All white logos! Seriously?!

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    What’s up with all these subdued logos on the ball caps? They look HORRIBLE. All white logos! Seriously?!

    I think it's racial! :o


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    More random thoughts.
    Matt Patricia a defensive guru? Talk about
    Snatching a tie from a sure win. Call another time out Matt.
    Is Baltimore really that good or is Miami the Browns of 2017?
    Pittsburgh may have peace in their locker room but do they have talent in their huddle?
    Josh Allen credited with 4 turnovers. But one hit the receiver in the hands, one was a tipped pass. Strip sack and bad exchange from center. Two 80 yard drives in the 4th to win a division game on the road.
    Atlanta was finally healthy and all the hype about playoffs? They looked nothing like the SB team of 3 years ago.
    More preseason hype and the Browns really stunk up the field.
    One week doesn’t make a season but for some cities it might be a long year.



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 5:39AM

    This just in...... anyone that thinks the NFL is going to be dissolved down the road is 100% certifiably insane....

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:
    This just in...... anyone that thinks the NFL is going to be dissolved down the road is 100% certifiably insane....

    The Pats play their first 6 games without playing a playoff team from last year. How ugly will next week get? Are they safe for me to play them in my survivor league? 😂😂😂😂



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @2dueces said:

    @perkdog said:
    This just in...... anyone that thinks the NFL is going to be dissolved down the road is 100% certifiably insane....

    The Pats play their first 6 games without playing a playoff team from last year. How ugly will next week get? Are they safe for me to play them in my survivor league? 😂😂😂😂

    Hahaha it is ridiculous that they get a bunch of cupcakes but Miami always has the potential to be an adventure.

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @2dueces said:

    @perkdog said:
    This just in...... anyone that thinks the NFL is going to be dissolved down the road is 100% certifiably insane....

    The Pats play their first 6 games without playing a playoff team from last year. How ugly will next week get? Are they safe for me to play them in my survivor league? 😂😂😂😂

    Hahaha it is ridiculous that they get a bunch of cupcakes but Miami always has the potential to be an adventure.

    I’m always leery any time Fitzmagic steps on the field. Remember last year against New Orleans? But this Miami team has all the makings of 0-16.



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 5:58AM

    @2dueces said:

    @perkdog said:

    @2dueces said:

    @perkdog said:
    This just in...... anyone that thinks the NFL is going to be dissolved down the road is 100% certifiably insane....

    The Pats play their first 6 games without playing a playoff team from last year. How ugly will next week get? Are they safe for me to play them in my survivor league? 😂😂😂😂

    Hahaha it is ridiculous that they get a bunch of cupcakes but Miami always has the potential to be an adventure.

    I’m always leery any time Fitzmagic steps on the field. Remember last year against New Orleans? But this Miami team has all the makings of 0-16.

    Good ‘Ole Fitzy aka Mr.September 😂

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    @Darin if you're looking to dabble in the cardboard of another qb, you should seriously consider Murray's. kid is special. possessed moxie of a 10-year vet in the 2nd half & OT.

    the Cards probably would have come all the way back for a W had Tramaine Brock not pulled off his best Kyle Fuller impersonation

    I think the Pats were eyeballing Murray not that they would be in a position to draft that high

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 11:13AM

    Lions vs Cardinals. Ties stink.

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    My question to the Browns is why not stay with Greg Williams who had a very good stints as interim coach and go with Kitchens? Is it because Dorsey thought he could control him? Is it because Williams was a defensive coach?



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @2dueces said:
    My question to the Browns is why not stay with Greg Williams who had a very good stints as interim coach and go with Kitchens? Is it because Dorsey thought he could control him? Is it because Williams was a defensive coach?

    Probably because Kitchens is friends with Mayfield

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Its pronounced kittens meow

  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TennisCoach Do you think that the 18 game season, with players playing 16 games, would lead to a very different product, both aesthetically and strategically, than we see today? I ask because that is my main concern with this idea. I also can foresee a host of other issues, possibly even injury related, but I am not sure.

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2019 1:20PM

    i have this dream of OBJ at the bottom of a huge pile going after a fumble, and when it's finally broken up his 350k watch is gone

  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭

    Falcons would have a hard time playing a bunch of their own kids at Peachtree Ridge HS at this point.

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

    @DrBuster said:
    Falcons would have a hard time playing a bunch of their own kids at Peachtree Ridge HS at this point.

    That game was one of the most surprising to me. All preseason the talk was all the injuries last year blah blah. They’re healthy and Ryan will revert to his SB season. To say they came out flat is an understatement



    << <i>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982.
    Dad, Thanks for everything you did for me. >>

  • TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

    @thisistheshow said:
    @TennisCoach Do you think that the 18 game season, with players playing 16 games, would lead to a very different product, both aesthetically and strategically, than we see today? I ask because that is my main concern with this idea. I also can foresee a host of other issues, possibly even injury related, but I am not sure.

    Initially I don't think you will see that much of a difference because teams will take the approach of were going to play all of our starters and if we clinch the division we will rest some guys then. The product may suffer slightly in a few select games scattered throughout the 18 game schedule, but it will hardly be noticeable since it will be 1 or 2 games out of the 15 played in a week. Plus It could lead to some intriguing matchups, maybe the Patriots think they can still beat the Dolphins even if they sit 6 or 7 starters. If things get tight, they can still bring those guys in for up to 10 crucial plays during the game. If they are behind be 3 entering the 4th quarter, maybe they bring a player in who didn't start for more than 10 plays trying to win this game and sit him in a different contest to reach his 2 game exclusion of no more than 10 plays. So there is some strategy involved, plus it creates some extra bye weeks for players at positions that really need it like RB, LB, OL, and DL. The alternative is you play those guys a straight 18 + playoffs and those (take a hit on every play) positions get beat up by the time the playoffs arrive.

    One issue I could see as a concern is what if those midlevel teams decide to sit players against the elite teams. They figure they can't beat the Chiefs or the Patriots anyway and decide to use those weeks to rest a lot of starters. Then you could have some competitive balance issues. So the league may have to assign windows for when players have to take their 10 play or under rest games.

    There really is just no easy answer to playing an 18 game regular season + playoffs without giving some position players time off for their bodies to heal.

    Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

  • MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Kyler Murray likely playing MLB with the A's in 1-2 years......

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 19,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MLBdays said:
    Kyler Murray likely playing MLB with the A's in 1-2 years......

    Unless he turns the Cardinals organization around. He looked capable the other night 🤷‍♂️

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TennisCoach said:

    @thisistheshow said:
    @TennisCoach Do you think that the 18 game season, with players playing 16 games, would lead to a very different product, both aesthetically and strategically, than we see today? I ask because that is my main concern with this idea. I also can foresee a host of other issues, possibly even injury related, but I am not sure.

    Initially I don't think you will see that much of a difference because teams will take the approach of were going to play all of our starters and if we clinch the division we will rest some guys then. The product may suffer slightly in a few select games scattered throughout the 18 game schedule, but it will hardly be noticeable since it will be 1 or 2 games out of the 15 played in a week. Plus It could lead to some intriguing matchups, maybe the Patriots think they can still beat the Dolphins even if they sit 6 or 7 starters. If things get tight, they can still bring those guys in for up to 10 crucial plays during the game. If they are behind be 3 entering the 4th quarter, maybe they bring a player in who didn't start for more than 10 plays trying to win this game and sit him in a different contest to reach his 2 game exclusion of no more than 10 plays. So there is some strategy involved, plus it creates some extra bye weeks for players at positions that really need it like RB, LB, OL, and DL. The alternative is you play those guys a straight 18 + playoffs and those (take a hit on every play) positions get beat up by the time the playoffs arrive.

    One issue I could see as a concern is what if those midlevel teams decide to sit players against the elite teams. They figure they can't beat the Chiefs or the Patriots anyway and decide to use those weeks to rest a lot of starters. Then you could have some competitive balance issues. So the league may have to assign windows for when players have to take their 10 play or under rest games.

    There really is just no easy answer to playing an 18 game regular season + playoffs without giving some position players time off for their bodies to heal.

    To me this is a bunch of crap. Just leave things alone. If anything just expand the roster limit. No need for more games!


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
Sign In or Register to comment.