Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kitchens also burning a Time Out on that painfully obvious offensive pass interference call was lunacy, he needs to be smarter than that. Even the announcers were saying it was not going to get overturned

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Kitchens also burning a Time Out on that painfully obvious offensive pass interference call was lunacy, he needs to be smarter than that. Even the announcers were saying it was not going to get overturned

ya he should have used it on the next one which was totally imaginary :D

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills and Chiefs losses added cushion in the division/conference as well.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch each and every Browns game. they get penalized for all the things like the hand-fighting between receiver/defender on almost every play, in every game around the NFL every week. that's why I used the term "judgement call" which has gotten out of hand around the League. there was also a weird thing that happened in the game yesterday: penalties on plays where there's a break for commercial. the Networks are pretty good about that little "FLAG" notice next to the score and the announcers note it. there were perhaps 3-4 times when the game returned and there had been a penalty called, very strange.

watching other games yesterday, the Officiating isn't any clearer anywhere else. way, way too many petty calls being made and others that seem obvious which are overlooked.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Hey Your getting your first sarcastic comment out early today! 😂 The play in question was the most obvious pick play by Landry though, I don’t remember the next one but I’m sure it wasn’t as obvious

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Walsh would be proud. The"pick" play was the 49'ers bread and butter play during Walsh's term as HC.

• Options

@keets said:
    there was also a weird thing that happened in the game yesterday: penalties on plays where there's a break for commercial. the Networks are pretty good about that little "FLAG" notice next to the score and the announcers note it. there were perhaps 3-4 times when the game returned and there had been a penalty called, very strange.

This seems to be happening more than I can ever recall.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

another weird thing that is happening often is no penalty called, the Officials huddle and the flag comes out. it tends to happen most often when a QB is being chased and he throws the ball to avoid a loss. if the rules are getting this complex, so much that the current Official group can't make the call, then it means something is wrong. either more Officials are needed or the rules need to be looked at and changed.

it has been discussed here before about how we are heading to flag football or something, there are so many rules designed to protect players from contact, yet they still get hurt.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Bill Walsh would be proud. The"pick" play was the 49'ers bread and butter play during Walsh's term as HC.

anything illegal in 2019 is now considered cheating if it happened 30 years ago

• Options
    edited October 28, 2019 4:23PM

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

Hey Your getting your first sarcastic comment out early today! 😂 The play in question was the most obvious pick play by Landry though, I don’t remember the next one but I’m sure it wasn’t as obvious

not the pick play , although 2 years ago they wouldn't have called that. The next one where the patriot and the brown briefly touched was called OPI but it could have randomly been on the defender or logically not a penalty at all

I mean if he had dropped the ball it was going to be called on the defense , but he caught it so it was on the offense :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

anything illegal in 2019 is now considered cheating if it happened 30 years ago

Pretty accurate statement

• Options

I’m hoping the Pats have another trade in them. I’m reading they are ready to give up sone future draft picks for help now. Another OL and WR would be huge

• Options

Agree, I read they are still in the market. It is obvious they are all in for this year.

LETS GOOOO

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Mike Nugent is out and Nick Folk is in as their new kicker.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Looks like Mike Nugent is out and Nick Folk is in as their new kicker.

Good. Make it a revolving door until they can get someone they can depend on

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Pats have looked really good, but their history has been that they really don't start to come together til the 2nd half of the season into December. Can they get better than what we see now?

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Pats have looked really good, but their history has been that they really don't start to come together til the 2nd half of the season into December. Can they get better than what we see now?

I’d definitely have to agree with this. I do think the Offense should get better, Sanu and Harry getting familiar with the offense will help. The OL needs to really step up though

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Wynn & Harry both returning to practice it now means Develin is done for the year. :(

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    With Wynn & Harry both returning to practice it now means Develin is done for the year. :(

I like Develin, I really do but I feel he is counted on during way too many really key plays when more dynamic players should be. At least I’ve seen it a few times

• Options

Develin was (and still hopefully will be) a great part of our physical run game and blocking. But I see your point. Leaning on and counting on a fullback is somewhat limiting, especially if it isn't working (or they are injured) and a lot of teams don't really do much with them.

• Options

Looking forward to seeing how Harry does 👍

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots have an outside chance of getting clipped by the Ravens tonight.

However i actually hope the Patriots win tonight. I think that would make them easier to beat when they visit the Linc in two weeks against the Eagles, both teams will be coming off a bye week.

If DeSean Jackson is healthy for that game, and the Patriots win tonight, I'm already making the call of a guaranteed Eagles win in that upcoming game.

I've even made an avatar bet on the Eagles-Patriots game, how's that for confidence? If any other Patriots fans other than Perkdog who is already all-in, has the confidence in their team to join in the fun, then please do so.

The Eagles avatar must stay in and cannot be removed until the opening kickoff of the next Patriots game. I'll post here the avatar to be used after the Eagles victory.

Oh it will truly bring me such joy to see countless Eagles avatars in place of Patriots avatars throughout the CU forum for a week. 😊

• Options

GO PATS!! This will be their toughest test this season so far

• Options

@stevek said:
    Patriots have an outside chance of getting clipped by the Ravens tonight.

However i actually hope the Patriots win tonight. I think that would make them easier to beat when they visit the Linc in two weeks against the Eagles, both teams will be coming off a bye week.

If DeSean Jackson is healthy for that game, and the Patriots win tonight, I'm already making the call of a guaranteed Eagles win in that upcoming game.

I've even made an avatar bet on the Eagles-Patriots game, how's that for confidence? If any other Patriots fans other than Perkdog who is already all-in, has the confidence in their team to join in the fun, then please do so.

The Eagles avatar must stay in and cannot be removed until the opening kickoff of the next Patriots game. I'll post here the avatar to be used after the Eagles victory.

Oh it will truly bring me such joy to see countless Eagles avatars in place of Patriots avatars throughout the CU forum for a week. 😊

Looking forward to it Steve 👍👍

• Options

Ok hopefully that cockiness my LJ will absolutely fire up the D

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Ok hopefully that cockiness my LJ will absolutely fire up the D

Agree.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 6:49PM

This will be the Patriots Waterloo. They are flat tonight.

This game could be a blow-out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Oh please whatever happens, don't let the Ravens blow-out the Patriots.

That would make the Patriots very tough to beat two weeks from now.

Just a nice gentle win by the Ravens or the Ravens getting a tough loss would be fine.

• Options

@stevek said:

Just a nice gentle win by the Ravens or the Ravens getting a tough loss would be fine.

I often have similar thoughts like this during the season. I wonder if there is any credibility to it.

• Options

10-0

uh oh. :/

• Options

Come on Tom baby.

Inject some steroids into those 42 year old tired legs and get this team moving.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I often have similar thoughts like this during the season. I wonder if there is any credibility to it.

When good teams get blown-out, invariably their next game they play better and usually win.

• Options

Whether we win or lose, this is a good thing for our SB chances. A wake up for the team

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Oh no!

• Options

Yep, the Patriots are the “Miami Minnows” tonight. Time to start a movie. This game is over.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I’m ok with them getting the crap beat out of them if they continue to play this poorly, they deserve the embarrassment

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

When good teams get blown-out, invariably their next game they play better and usually win.

If that's the case I hope the Pat's lose tonight. B)

• Options
    edited November 3, 2019 7:03PM

Ed Reed looks elderly

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Yep, the Patriots are the “Miami Minnows” tonight. Time to start a movie. This game is over.

Game over? Already?

• Options

Oops

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Whether we win or lose, this is a good thing for our SB chances. A wake up for the team

I agree with ya on that. It's tough for a Patriots fan to swallow a game like this, but we all knew the Patriots weren't going to go undefeated.

A bad loss tonight and the Patriots steaming about it for two weeks, in my opinion is likely to help their Super Bowl chances. That may sound a bit crazy, but i've seen it happen time and time again over many years of watching the NFL.

Of course there is still a lot of game left to play here.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Back in it?

• Options

Huge TD off that turnover. Now let’s hope the D shows up on this next series

• Options

Let’s see if the defense shows up now ...

• Options

If Brady wins this game tonight, he's going into my top 25 all time quarterbacks list...well, maybe top 100.

• Options

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

I agree with ya on that. It's tough for a Patriots fan to swallow a game like this, but we all knew the Patriots weren't going to go undefeated.

A bad loss tonight and the Patriots steaming about it for two weeks, in my opinion is likely to help their Super Bowl chances. That may sound a bit crazy, but i've seen it happen time and time again over many years of watching the NFL.

Of course there is still a lot of game left to play here.

Win or lose, it's good to get their butts kicked a little to see where they need to improve.

• Options

GO PATS!!!!!!!

• Options

Good 3 and out